Announcing Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 Beta

This morning Microsoft announced the public availability of Beta versions of Microsoft Office 2010. We are also releasing Beta version of Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010. You can download Business Contact Manager Beta from following locations. Check out BCM 2010 overview here.

Business Contact Manager Beta is now available in six languages- Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish.

Few important notes:

• This version of Business Contact Manager requires Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus Beta. Please don’t install this on Microsoft Office 2007 and older, or Microsoft Office 2010 Technical Preview. First install Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus Beta before installing Business Contact Manager. You can get Office Beta from http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx

• Office and BCM bitness should be same, i.e. If you install 32-bit (64-bit) Office, install 32-bit (64-bit) BCM.

• Office and BCM languages should be same, i.e. if you install Japanese version of Office, make install Japanese version of BCM. We don’t support Office and BCM in different languages.

• Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 Database Tool lets you create a BCM database on a machine with SQL Server without having to install Office+BCM. This is useful if you have dedicated server machine that hosts BCM.

• Language packs are supported only with a full English BCM build. If you prefer, you can directly install BCM in your choice of language. Alternatively, you can install English BCM and one or more language packs.

• Database migration is supported from older versions of BCM including BCM 2010 Technical Preview.

Feedback from Technical Preview participants was very helpful in improving the product.  Please try it out and send us your feedback.

Mukesh

1. Jim Lewis says:

Where can we find instructions for migrating from a BCM 2007 database to BCM 2010.  Googling I see that someone has had trouble opening their BCM 2007 database in BCM 2010.  Also, do we need to uninstall SQL Server Express 2005 and update to a newer version of SQL Server Express or does all that happen automatically with the BCM 2010 beta?  Then just take ownership of the BCM 2007 database to make it work under BCM 2010?

And, can we still use a machine running BCM 2007 as a client to access a shared BCM 2010 database?

Thanks for further info.  A link(s) pointed to further instructions would be great.

2. bcmteam says:

Hi Jim,

You’ll need to upgrade you office and BCM to 2010 Beta. Once you have done that, launching outlook would bring you to BCM First Use Wizard, where you can connect to an existing database i.e. your BCM 2007 database. After you select your database, BCM 2010 would automatically migrate your database to 2010.

When you install BCM 2010, it will automatically upgrade SQL Express 2005 to SQL Express 2008.

Also, you’ll need to upgrade all your clients to BCM 2010. The BCM version on your client and server needs to be the same for them to interact.

Let me know if you have any other question.

-Vinit [MSFT]

3. divinelogix says:

Once I cancel the error message Windows loads fully and BCM 2010 isn’t installed.

Thanks ahead.

Divine

4. imachdan says:

I’m using Windows 7 and Office Pro Plus, but I cannot install BCM 2010, it alwyas give me an error message when installing SQL 2008. It says it cannot locate a required file.

Any ideas?

I would really like to get this going.

Thanks!

Danyel

5. bcmteam says:

Hi Danyel,

Was this SQL Express 2008 installed by BCM? If yes,

Can you try uninstalling SQL Server 2008 Express and all the other SQL components and try installing again?

You should make sure Microsoft SQL Express 2008 Native Client is also uninstalled before you re-install.

Let me know if this helps.

-Vinit [MSFT]

6. bcmteam says:

Hi Divine,

Normally starting BCM Setup again after restarting your computer should work; if you are still having trouble, can you please use Office Beta’s "Send-A-Smile" function to send a frown?  In the frown, include the word "BCM" and your e-mail address.  I will contact you once I get your e-mail address to help you on this.

Thanks,

– John [MSFT]

7. John Cz says:

There is plenty to like regarding BCM 2010.  However I think the BCM requirements are a miss opportunity to addressed the needs of small businesses.  That is unless you plan to launch a service component to host the data.

8. imachdan says:

Hello BCM Team,

I have tried your potential solution to my install problem.

I have uninstalled all SQL 2008 references, rebooted and then tried to reinstall BCM.

This time I got a different error message:Setup cannot continue because BCM failed to install SQL Server Express (MSSMLBIZ).

I have alog file that could be sent.

But when you go to Windows Explorer, MSSMLBIZ does seem to be installed. It almost looks as if there is a problem with the installer not recongnizing a file?

Looking forward to your reply.

Danyel

9. bcmteam says:

Hmm this sounds strange. Could you please follow instructions posted by John [MSFT] to send a frown and then i’ll take this offline with you?

Also, in the mean time could you try installing just SQL Express 2008 on your machine with MSSMLBIZ instanec name and see if it installs fine. You can find SQL Server Express 2008 either in the BCM installer package or @

-Vinit [MSFT]

10. GrantyBaby says:

i appear to be having the same problem as imachdan. i have already removed all instances of SQL server and then installed 2008 server express no probs. yet still BCM wont install! ahhhhhhh!

11. bcmteam says:

GrantyBaby, can you send a Frown with your e-mail address (if you haven’t)?  I would like to get in touch with you.

Thanks, John [MSFT]

12. mccartjt says:

So to understand this correctly if you were running the BCM database on a remote server then that instance of SQL Express 2005 needs to be upgraded to SQL Express 2008? Is that why now when I try to connect to the remote database I can see that database but can’t connect to it?

Also what & where are the instructions for upgrading to the SQL Express 2008 for remote installations?

Thanks

BTW this looks like a way better product than BCM/ Outlook sitting on top of Windows XP Pro!

Please blog team help us all out here!!!

JM

13. mccartjt says:

Further to my question above can one just install SQL 2008 Express over the top of SQL Express 2005?

No doubt there’s going to be a gotcha somewhere in here? Will SQL Run on SBS 2003 or does that need to be upgraded too?

JM

14. bcmteam says:

Hi JM,

So is the database on the remote server is a BCM 2007 database? If thats the case you’ll need to back up your current database, create a new remote BCM 2010 database on your server and restore that data by using Database admin tool.

You may or may not upgrade SQL Server Express 2005 to 2008, and BCM 2010 can also work with SQL Express 2005.

let me know if you have anyother question

-Vinit [MSFT]

15. bcmteam says:

To supplement Vinit’s comment, the "Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 Database Tool" can be found on Microsoft Download Center.  Just search for its name and you will find its Beta version.

The reason you need to use that is because although BCM 2010 works with SQL 2005, it now uses a newer database schema version.  So that you need to migrate the database from the version that BCM 2007 uses to which that BCM 2010 uses on the server, and then your BCM 2010 client can use it.

– John [MSFT]

16. divinelogix says:

Hi John [MSFT]

I’ve solved the problem [at least for my scenario]. BCM 2010 is now up and running. I removed all instances of SQL Server [2005, 2008, etc]. Deleted all left over folders, assigned a program to the .js extension [a lack of a program association for that file extension was causing the installation to hang-up on PC restart],etc.

Then I used Windows Install Cleanup to remove SQL Server installer/installation entries. I reinstalled and it went fine.

Thanks for your feedback earlier.

Divine Logix

17. mccartjt says:

Vinit & John

Thanks for the posts. We have had nightmares of running Office/Outlook/BCM 2007 on Win XP Pro. We would regularly lose and an hour if not two / day with Outlook 2007 locking up whilst that was working on XP Pro. Having been an MCSE back in the day, I had some idea of how applications should work.

IMHO, MSFT  flatout abandoned customers with Outlook 2007 working on top of XP Pro. I recall in 1990 when I supported a division of a Fortune 500 company, I had one client back then with a 1.5 gig email/pst file. 10 years later that shouldn’t have been an issue. However it was disasterous for my small company.

Now we can get going with applications that look like they are going to work.

BTW what (if anything) is the benefit of running SQL Express 2008 over running SQL Express 2005 on the remote server?

I’ll keep posting as I find new stuff here as I find it..

JM

18. bcmteam says:

Hi Divine,

I am glad it had worked out for you.  Please keep us posted on what you like and dislike about BCM.  We are all ears.

Thanks,

– John [MSFT]

19. bcmteam says:

Hi JM,

I am not sure I am in any position to comment on your claim on "Microsoft abandoned customers … on XP Pro".  I would rather not to discuss this here.

As for your other question, you should be easily find abundant resource online, for the comparison between Microsoft SQL Express 2005 versus 2008.

Loosely speaking, SQL Express 2008 has better performance and enhanced security, etc., over Express 2005.

Hope that helps,

– John [MSFT]

20. mccartjt says:

John

Thanks for your comments & your help.

We had Outlook 2007 working on top of WIN XP Pro which froze intermittently. We now have the same SBS 2003 server opposite the same physical hardware at the client workstation. We did a fresh install of Windows 7 on same type of HDD with Office 2010/Outlook 2010/BCM 2010, and so far everything is working. The difference is like night and day.

I will tell you I wrote snail mail to both Steve Balmer and W.Gates explaining that that pairing of XP Pro and Outlook 2007 didn’t work well. I never got a reply for thanking me to taking the time to tell them that their products IMHO were of poor quality.

Now that we have a smoother running workstation we can get  back to working and not futzing with software all the time.

21. minutotres says:

Cordial saludo aun teniedno ya Outlook 2010 activado, no es posible instalar BCM2010, me dael error que n se puedo instalar que en determinada parte hay un archivo log que me dice el motivo, es que aun no se puede instalar?

me envia a la ayuda para encontrar la solucion, pero no se cual es el problema

Gracias

22. Seth Thomas says:

I have a local SQL Server database and have imported my Outlook Contacts as Business Contacts.  I have 2 errors whenever I open a contact:

1.  Association Error – "An error occurred when trying to synchronize this item with the external system"

2.  Business Error – "There is a conflict between the local version and the external system version of this item"

Please provide some guidance.  Thanks

23. Seth Thomas says:

After installing BCM 2010 Beta, when I try to close a draft email, get the following error:  Do you want to save changes with 3 buttons:  "Cannot create the World Wide Web", "Cannot show the contents of th . ." , "Cannot create the default World . . ."

24. bcmteam says:

Hi Seth,

Did you import your outlook contacts from your PST to BCM? When you say you have a local SQL Server database, what is that used for, if not for BCM? The error message is thrown opening outlook contacts? Does this happen before you import outlook contact in to BCM?

Regarding the draft mail, is it something caused by BCM?

-Vinit  [MSFT]

25. bcmteam says:

Hi minutotres,

¿Podría, por favor contabilizar el mensaje de error y qué parte componente de BCM2010 está fallando instalar desde el archivo de registro?

Gracias

Vinit [MSFT]

26. beevee says:

I’m using Windows 7 and Office Pro Plus, but I cannot install BCM 2010, it alwyas give me an error message when installing SQL 2008. It always fails.

I tried installing SQL Express 2008 via Web Platform and it went fine. BCM still fails. I’ve looked in Control Panel and so on, and as far as I can see SQL 2008 is installed.

Any ideas?

I would really like to get this going.

27. imachdan says:

Hello,

Don’t if this is the right place to post this, but is there a way for Flags that are created in or by BCM to be displayed on the Outlook Today page under Tasks?

If these were truly recongnized as Tasks, they would also be synced to mobile devices when one is on the road.

Thank you for your feedback!

Danyel

28. bcmteam says:

Hi beeve,

Could you post the SQL 2008 error message posted in the log file specified by BCM 2010 setup wizard?

Did you try creating  MSSMLBIZ instance using SQL 2008 Server Express?

-Vinit [MSFT]

29. bcmteam says:

Hi Danyel,

Once you create a follow-up flag in BCM, you should see them under outlook To- Do bar. Thats the same case with Outlook contacts as well.

On the other hand, if you create a task then it shows under tasks on the Outlook today page.

I hope this helps.

Vinit [MSFT]

30. beevee says:

Cannot Continue installing BCM for MS Outlook 2010 (beta) because the setup program did not install the following components : MS SQL server 2008 Express (MSSMLBIZ)

The Bootstrap Log files shows the following error.

Failed to open the registry key SOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL10.MSSMLBIZMSSQLServerSuperSocketNetLib or set its security descriptor: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation..

Configuration log:             C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft SQL Server100Setup BootstrapLog20091123_151426Detail.txt

Hope this helps,

beevee

31. beevee says:

Vinit Answering your question, Looks like The BCM installer tried to create the  MSSMLBIZ instance. Not sure if that was successfull. I see a Folder under SLS Server called as MSSQL10.MSSMLBIZ

Hope this helps.

32. bcmteam says:

Hi,

Could you launching regedit by typing "regedit" in the run command?

Then, try accessing HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL10.MSSMLBIZMSSQLServerSuperSocketNetLib

key. Right click and select the permissions. Try adding yourself to the access control. Retry installing and see if it makes it to work.

Let me know how that goes.

Vinit [MSFT]

33. beevee says:

I did that and i started the install again.

Now BCM fails with this message.

AppDataLocalTempBCMbcmhooktmp8CFA.log

and this file shows the following errors.

[11/23/2009 4:20 PM]: BCMHooks PreInstall(): SqlException thrown in DetachV1V2Databases(): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 – Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

[11/23/2009 4:21 PM]: BCMHooks StartSqlExprService: TimeoutException: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.

[11/23/2009 4:21 PM]: BCMHooks.PostInstall() failed to start SQL Service

34. bcmteam says:

Hi,

I think your SQL Express installation is completely corrupted. I would recommend uninstalling SQL Express 2008 completely including Microsoft SQL Express 2008 Native Client. Reboot your machine and try the BCM installation once again.

Let me know if this helps.

-Vinit [MSFT]

35. minutotres says:

este precisamente es el error que me aparece, he reiniciado, he borrado y hasta lo instale e un sistema limpio pero nada ahi va!

No es de mi autoria entre comillas "

I did that and i started the install again.

Now BCM fails with this message.

AppDataLocalTempBCMbcmhooktmp8CFA.log

and this file shows the following errors.

[11/23/2009 4:21 PM]: BCMHooks.PostInstall() failed to start SQL Service

36. minutotres says:

No se algo debe de pasar, lo he tratado de hacer en varias  maquinas y nada, si en una dice que faltan componentes, en otra que reinice al reiniciar me dice que no esta el producto, etc muchas cosas menos poder instalar ese Bendito BCM 2010, alguna sugerencia? a la espera de ella, para poder disfrutar de ese bello trabajo!, gracias y hasta  que lo pueda  instalar gracias a ustedes.

37. jblooming says:

I am having trouble getting my data into BCM Beta.  We were using the Tech Preview with the data stored on a SQL 2008 server.  Pretty standard stuff but I did add a couple of sources for leads and modified one form.  When I install the beta everything is fine until I import the data from the tech preview.  I have tried restoring the tech preview data with the Database management tool, as well as importing from a .bcm file of an export of the data from the Tech preview.

When the data comes in it seems fine until you open a form.  All the forms come up similar to the business contact form.  The lead form is missing all sorts of fields and isn’t really usable.  I can’t modify the forms either any more.  It says it is saving the forms but they won’t display.  By the way when you go to modify the form, a different form from the one you are on pops up.

Anyway, your help would be appreciated and I don’t know where else to ask this.  We would really like to retain the history info in our data.

38. beevee says:

i am also having trouble in using BCM. Finally was able to install BCM last night.

64-bit BCM install doesnot work as SQL Server 2008 Express Service doesnot come up on W-7 64 bit. Looks like some compatability issue.

i switched to Sample BCM  and tried to run couple of reports. Looks like nothing works. I enabled Logging and logs show many exceptions : Business Contact Manager for Outlook does not support this operation.

Please help.

39. bcmteam says:

Hola,

Creo que la instalación de SQL Express completamente está dañada. Yo recomendaría desinstalar completamente incluyendo a Microsoft SQL Express 2008 Native Client SQL Express 2008. Reinicie el equipo y probar la instalación de BCM una vez más.

Me lo haga saber si esto ayuda a.

-Vinit [MSFT]

40. bcmteam says:

Hi jblooming,

Sorry to hear you having problems with BCM 2010 Beta. Can you please turn on logging and post the error log here? Did you try creating a new database and see if that works fine?

Can you try importing the data without customization in Import Export Wizard and see if forms open fine.

Let me know your findings.

-Vinit [MSFT]

41. Office14_EA says:

Hi,

It is cool to find this nice place. I was trying to install Office 2010(14.0.4705.1000) and BCM 2010(4.0.9520.0) on Windows Server standard 2008 with SQL Server 2008, but it failed, could please advise me where I can find BCM 2010 installation instruction? Thanks a lot.

Beijing

Ping

42. jblooming says:

Thanks I was able to get the import to work.  I had to unselect the customization section and unselect Custom Reports and project templates.

Thanks for your help with this.

43. Jim Lewis says:

Thanks for the advice on migrating to BCM 2010 from BCM 2007.

On trying to create a new project or account in the default database, I get the following error: "A dialog box is open.  Please close it and try again."  I don’t find any dialog box open.  Searching the Internet there is a suggestion in Outlook 2007 that this error is caused by not filling in name and initials in Office user info. I updated my name and initials to no avail.

Thanks for any suggestions on what might be causing this errorand how to fix it.

Jim Lewis

44. Jim Lewis says:

Hi, BCM Team

I have submitted the following suggestions via the Send A Frown IM app:

The Link to Record dialog does not have an option to set which Item Type one wants to link to by default.  Perhaps for our usage, for example, we’d always like to link e-mail items to Projects. However, when we activate the Link to Record dialog, we are always offered Accounts as the Item Type to Link To. This necessitates wastefully opening the drop-down box and navigating to the selection of the Projects item type.

Also, in the Link to Record dialog, there is no memory of the width of table columns.  The first column in the Link to Record view have the names of Accounts, Projects, or other Item Types.  That table column width is too narrow to clearly see much of the name and if you have Accounts or Projects with similar names for organizational purposes, it’s impossible to tell them apart without manually widening the column width every time you open the Link to Record dialog. Thanks for fixing this if possible.

45. Jim Lewis says:

Re: my post http://blogs.msdn.com/bcm/archive/2009/11/19/announcing-business-contact-manager-for-outlook-2010-beta.aspx#9928748

I turned on logging and get this error message:

[E] [15:44:59.5158000]Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.CSUtils: Failed to open a modal inspector even though there is no inspector for this item yet; this should never happen

Jim Lewis

46. mania112 says:

very simple question, but i must confirm with someone.

Can BCM/Outlook 2007 connect to a BCM 2010 database. Also can a BCM 2007 user view a business contact form made in 2010 (using the new customisation)

My problem is this new software seems perfect for our needs, being able to complete customise the forms.

but i’m not confident moving all (14) users to the beta software, so i was hoping to be able to just create a database and forms on one machine?

many thanks for any help

47. Jim Lewis says:

@mania112

Hi,

The BCM Team in answering my post at the top of this forum said, unfortunately, that a BCM 2010 client is required to access a BCM 2010 shared database.  Too bad it couldn’t have been otherwise!

Jim Lewis

48. mania112 says:

@Jim Lewis

thanks for the message, I would have been impressed if they could have implement backward compatibility, i’m not surprised they haven’t.

Another quick question to anyone who has played around with the customisation of business contacts:

Is there a way to show a link on the form that takes you to a folder in windows explorer? I’m trying to link a contact to their scanned documents we have on file.

Many thanks

49. bcmteam says:

Hi Mania112,

Could you link a document to a contact by going to their History Ribbon tab. Let me know if thats what you are trying to achieve.

Vinit[MSFT]

50. mania112 says:

thanks for the advice, I will try that.

firstly, i’m trying to install Outlook/BCM 2010 on our server and run the database from there.

we have Windows Server 2003 SBS SP2, are there known conflicts here? I have a rundll error when trying to access Mail in control panel, and Outlook 2010 crashes during load

Thanks again.

51. mania112 says:

Sorry i don’t think i can edit my previous post, i have an additional question.

If it’s not possible to run the database from our server, the option would be to host the database on a second stand alone pc.

if i do this, when/if we upgrade our server, is it a simple process to move the database onto a different machine?

Thanks again again.

52. imachdan says:

Hi,

Well I’m going to try this one last time.

Is it or will it be possible to setup BCM on server hat can be accessed by remote offices(home offices) where people actually never come in to a cntralized office.

What tis means is that people need to connect either via the internet or some other means to access or sync the data.

Thank you in advance for your reply, as I’m sure a lot of small-business sales organizations are now setup this way.

Danyel

53. bcmteam says:

Hi Mania112,

Yes, you can create a database on your Windows 2003 SBS SP2 server using Database Admin tool. You dont need to install either Office or BCM to host a database on your server.

You can get some information about creating a database on your server machine from

I hope this helps.

Vinit [MSFT]

54. bcmteam says:

Hi Danyel,

Yes, you can host BCM database on a server without having to install either Office or BCM on it. We have a tool called Database Admin tool for you to achieve this (more information about it at the top of the blog post).

Then, you can have your remote users connect to the database using a VPN connection or other secure measures.

Vinit[MSFT]

55. remaxman says:

I have added BCM 2010 to my laptop with out any problems. My PC is a different story. My Pc and laptop both are running win 7. My pc loaded Office 2010 fine but it will not take BCM. It errors out with an error to check the log. I didnt see snything in the log that helps. I have deleted and reinstalled sql with no success. Still errors out. Any ideas?

56. mania112 says:

Many thanks for all your help, we’re up and running now, no further problems to report.

I do have a question about BCM’s capabilities:

Is there a way to email someone information from within their contact.

For example, if i have written some notes, under the field called ‘Comments’ can i email that field to the client.

The idea is to somehow use BCM to update clients with the progress of their order.

Many thanks

57. TaberRealty says:

I am running a windows 7 machine with Microsoft Office Plus installed. I am trying to get BCM 2010 installed but everytime I try and install it I get this message "cannot continue installing Business Contact Manager for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Beta) because the setup program did not intall the following component: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express (MSSMLBIZ"

I have looked at the other posts and tried uninstalling SQL server and I got nothing. Can someone please help me with this issue because it seems to be popular question

Doug

58. remaxman says:

Where would we get updates for the BCM program. Is windows update the only way?

59. Jim Lewis says:

Hi, BCM Team

I posted my problem earlier but haven’t heard any suggestions on how to fix it:

In addition to the A DIALOG BOX IS OPEN error, if I open the sample database or import the data from a previous BCM 2007 database into a new BCM 2010 database and try to open an item (ACCOUNT, PROJECT, PROJECT TASK), I get the following error notification.

"Cannot open this item.  Error loading form.  Some of the needed controls may not be registered."

I have unistalled BCM 2010, uninstalled all instances of SQL Server 2008, SQL Server Express 2005 (on my system because I have Visual Studio C# Express Edition 2008 installed), reinstalled BCM 2010, repaired BCM, repaired Office 2010, uninstalled BCM, Office, reinstalled Office 2010, BCM 2010, all to no avail.

I will say this (maybe my problem?).  I am running the 32-bit versions of Office 2010 and BCM under 64-bit Windows 7.  I have to do this because I have a Windows Mobile Device and the 64-bit version of WMDC will only work with 32-bit Outlook.  There is no update.  The other thing that might be a source of error is that I manually removed MSSMLBIZ for the 2007 BCM before installing BCM 2010 (the official upgrade instructions and how BCM 2010 updates everything were not available at the time).

Thanks for any suggestions on how to make things work.  Someone in another forum suggested running ActiveSync 4.5 under Windows XP Mode in Virtual PC with 32-bit Outlook connected to my PST file as a way to avoid the need for 32-bit Outlook under my 64-bit Win7 OS, if that’s the source of my problems.

60. Jim Lewis says:

Hi, BCM Team

I posted my problem earlier but haven’t heard any suggestions on how to fix it:

Jim Lewis

61. bcmteam says:

Hi remaxman,

Did you try installing SQL Express 2008 with MSSMLBIZ instance name? Did you uninstall SQL completely including the SQL Express 2008 Native client?

Vinit [MSFT]

62. remaxman says:

Further to my above posts here is the log.

[02/12/2009 2:16 PM]: BCMHooks PreInstall(): SqlException thrown in DetachV1V2Databases(): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 – Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

[02/12/2009 2:17 PM]: Cannot start service MSSQL$MSSMLBIZ on computer ‘.’.

[02/12/2009 2:17 PM]: BCMHooks.PostInstall() failed to start SQL Service

63. remaxman says:

And yes I removed and reinstalled sql 2008 and 2005 and reinstalled. I also did the windows update and it updated sql 2008.

64. Jim Lewis says:

Hi, BCM Team

Relative to my problems opening records or adding new records:

I found the following.

After complete uninstall and reinstall of Office, BCM 2010, I noticed in the COM add-ins that BCM Loader for Outlook was not checked (it had been before).  After checking this option I was able to open records in the Sample Database.

However, since I couldn’t see my own previous personal databases after the reinstall and not being familiar with the new configuration tool, I changed the permissions on MSSMLBIZ from NT Authority (network services logon) to Local Services logon.  That killed my ability to open records in the Sample Database and changing the Built-In logon back to Network Services (NT Authority) did not rescue me.  I’m back to my original problem

So perhaps my problem is related to permission granted upon install.  For someone relatively ignorant about SQL Server, I found the SQL Surface Configuration Manager in the 2005 edition more intuitvely understandable.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Jim Lewis

Jim Lewis

65. bcmteam says:

Hi Jim,

This is a known issue and we’ll fix it for our future releases.For now can you go to registry edit and delete the following key

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTTypeLib{FB0E72B9-41D3-46FC-9593-0846ECA9E143}1.0win64]

@="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Small Business\Business Contact Manager\WinFormsHost.dll"

See if this helps.

Vinit [MSFT]

66. bcmteam says:

Hi remaxman,

Are you saying you were successfully able to install SQL Express 2008 with MSSMLBIZ instance?

If yes, then you should be able to install BCM now

-Vinit [MSFT]

67. remaxman says:

I installed and removed sql 3 times now. Each time I tried to install BCM and it still cant find MSSMLBIZ. Still no go. Been at it 3 days now.

68. bcmteam says:

Hi remaxman,

Really sorry to hear you having problems to install BCM. could you send a frown with your contact information and i can get in touch with you directly?

Vinit [MSFT]

69. remaxman says:

I have sent many frowns lol.

70. Jim Lewis says:

Thanks, Vinit

Your suggestion:

fixed my problem.

Everytime I start Outlook, though, I find the Business Contact Manager for Outlook and Business Contact Manager Loader for Outlook Com addins unchecked and I have to start the Com Addins Manager and check the boxes again to run BCM.

So is it true that once I uninstall SQL Server, the only was I can restore/reactivate a previous SQL database is by loading it into a new database from a backup?  Thanks for that info.

Jim Lewis

71. Jarleeros says:

Dear BCM Team.

BCM 2010 (Beta) and Windows 7 Ultimate woes!

Please help. This is the third time I have clean installed Windows 7 Ultimate and installed BCM 2010, trying to get the beta to work, with the same error message.

"Database creation was unsuccessful."

Tried using existing (Express option sample DB) and creating a new local database and get the same message.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled SQL 2008, Outlook 2010 and Windows 7.

Would love a response as this is the 3rd time I have used "Send a Frown" with no response (yes, I supplied my email address)

I would really like to get this product working and do some thorough beta testing for you so this product is as great as the marketing material states.

I wait in anticipation.

Jarleeros

72. bcmteam says:

Hi Jarleeros,

Could you please turn on logging by typing regedit on the run command prompt and go to the following key

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftBusiness Solutions eCRM ?

Under the key change the value for BCMLcgging to 255 (Decimal).

Then try creating a new database. After if fails go to C:Users"Username"AppDataLocalMicrosoftBusiness Contact ManagerLogsBCM.log and find the error message when Database fails and post it here

Vinit [MSFT]

73. Jarleeros says:

Thanks for your response Vinit.

As requested I have attached the log file. Hope you can assist and look forward to resolving the issue.

Jarleeros

[V] [18:12:56.0378948]BusinessLayer: Create db DO: server=’MINI9MSSMLBIZ’ dbname=’MSSampleBusiness’ orgname=’MSSampleBusiness’ script1=’C:Program FilesMicrosoft Small BusinessBusiness Contact Manageren-USdb_create_script.sql’

[V] [18:12:56.0598961]BusinessLayer: Create db: dbname=MSSampleBusiness server=MINI9

[V] [18:12:56.0708967]BusinessLayer: Create db in C:UsersminiAppDataLocalMicrosoftBusiness Contact Manager

[V] [18:13:00.8941726]BusinessLayer: delete db: dbname=MSSampleBusiness

[I] [18:13:00.9151738]BusinessLayer: Leaving Single User Mode

[E] [18:13:00.9211742]BCMRes: Database ‘MSSampleBusiness’ does not exist. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

[E] [18:13:00.9291746]BCMRes:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.ChangeDatabaseInternal(String database)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.ChangeDatabase(String database)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.ChangeDatabase(String database)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.BusinessLayer.dbCreate.CreateDbAndConnect(ServerSpecification server, DatabaseCreateInfo createInfo)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.BusinessLayer.dbCreate.CreateDatabase(ServerSpecification server, DatabaseCreateInfo createInfo, String org_name, String localeId, String create_script, IProgressCallback callback, Boolean addToProgressBar)

[E] [18:13:00.9371751]BCMRes: Text:

[E] [18:13:00.9371751]BCMRes: Message:Database ‘MSSampleBusiness’ does not exist. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

[E] [18:13:00.9401752]Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.CSUtils: Database ‘MSSampleBusiness’ does not exist. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

[E] [18:13:00.9401752]Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn.CSUtils:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.ChangeDatabase(String database)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.ChangeDatabase(String database)

[V] [18:13:02.4592621]BusinessLayer: delete db: dbname=MSSampleBusiness

[I] [18:13:02.4882638]BusinessLayer: Leaving Single User Mode

74. xeroda says:

A question about security:

In this new version, will the ability exist to secure Account and/or Contact records to be viewable only by the Assigned Users and Managers? Additionally, will users have the ability to share individual account or contact records to specific users as well?

75. tcmh says:

You seem to respond to other people but ignore me.  What is the deal?  I have tried to be patience.

Would you please be so kind to help me with the BCM install?

Do you really care about your customer?

timcoulter@live.com

76. remaxman says:

Could someone check this out for me. I’m not near my computer that has the problem. This I found at another tech forum where people were having the same problem. This is a fix for it.

c/p

Here are the instructions I got from Microsoft after they looked at my BCM install logs.

Can you check this location in the registry?:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlSession Manager

Check to see (on the right) if there is an entry named: PendingFileRenameOperations.

If it is present it might have the value of a file.

I simply uninstalled the Logitech software. The files listed were for the Logitech software install. I went back and check the registry and the entry had been removed. BCM then installed and worked normally.

The camera works withoutthe Logitech sofware in Windows Live Messenger which was the only thing I used if for.

77. remaxman says:

tcmh said:

Would you please be so kind to help me with the BCM install?

Do you really care about your customer?

timcoulter@live.com

This is your first post.

78. imachdan says:

Hello,

Is there anything that will work with BCM 2010 for an Accounting link.

I for one, need to be able to rpoduce quotes and so from the BCM data.

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Danyel

79. remaxman says:

Has anyone solved the install problem yet?

80. imachdan says:

Hey,

Have you guys disappeared?

Danyel

81. alfmena says:

Hi, A question here…. I haven’t install this version yet, but in past version it didn’t work with Outlook Exchange profile. Is this still in this 2010 version?

Thanks,

Alf

82. bcmteam says:

@imachdan, if you read through some of the comments, you will find answer to your question. BCM 2010 will no longer support Office Accounting integration. Regarding your install issue, as recommended in one of our blog post (one prior to the latest one), please submit your issue with Office feedback tool. We go through all feedback reports.

Same request to remaxman and tcmh

@alfmena, yes BCM will with with Outlook Exchange profile as long as the profile is in cached mode (which is the default option). We don’t support BCM if Outlook is connected to Exchange in the online mode.

-Mukesh

83. remaxman says:

I gave iup on trying to install it after over a week of trying. Thanks Larry for all your help. If a soultion does come up please send me an email.

84. whirledbroker says:

Hi,

Can anyone help me I was working with 2010 BCM Beta, and had my contacts in cats and they were in contact management yesterday it now seems they have all gone to business contacts and the cats have all defaulted to business even though when you enter a record it does display the correct tabs, can anybody advise please.

85. hmnout says:

hello guys

My instalation fails because it tries to install an ie8 version, but my machine have a more uptodate version of ie8, with this the setup stop and abort instalation. Can you guys help with this????

86. bcmteam says:

Hi Hmnout,

Is BCM setup trying to install IE8? If yes, could you please post the setup log here? You should also send a frown using office send a smile tool.

Vinit [MSFT]

87. bcmteam says:

Hi whirledbroker,

Could you explain what cats is? Is it some sort of outlook add-in?

-Vinit

88. bcmteam says:

Hi alfmena,

Yes it works if you have cached exchange mode option checked.

I hope this answers your question.

-Vinit [MSFT]

89. Imtiaz AX says:

Hi any chance of a 64bit for

BCMv4-Beta-ServerWizard-x86-en-US.exe

I’d like to try this out, but we’er all 64bit here. Tried to install on a win2008 with sql 2008 sp1 (32bit)VPC, but installer fails with message that not enough ram and processor needs to be above 400ghz

90. ofp says:

@Jarleeros, i think i had a similar problem with Win7 and MySQL 2008 Express. I’ve been talking to someone from support but now is in holiday, i will let you know if i achieve some how.

91. JohnLine says:

We have Blackberry Exchange here at our office. Will BCM ’10 have native support to our Blackberry handhelds so we can see our BCM Accounts, Contacts, etc? Or will we still have to try and get the third party people to get that to work?

92. zerowaitstate says:

Windows 7 RC2

ofiice 2010 pro plus

ive sent a frown but it had limited space for info

bellow is the info that may help

after installing office 2010 pro + with no dram i opted to. install BCMv4-Beta-BCMSetup-x86-en-US.exe

after what seems to be a sucessfull install the installer states a reboot is required.

to my suprise no desktop booted just adobe DW opened with the following script

SNIP —>

var SW_SHOWNORMAL = 1;

var shell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.shell");

var cmdline = WScript.Arguments.Item(0);

var i = 0;

for ( i = 1; i < WScript.Arguments.Count(); i = i + 1 )

{

cmdline += " " + WScript.Arguments.Item(i) + " ";

}

shell.run(cmdline, SW_SHOWNORMAL,  false /*WaitOnReturn*/ );

<—Snip

i uninstalled DW thinking it may be a file type association issue but found that i was greeted with the load with dialog … sending it to IE has no posative result.

the only thing i could get of any interest out of the event viewer was this info dump

—>snip

P6: 1

P7: 200

P8:

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:UsersBen RobertsonAppDataLocalTemp{343fca5e-0527-418c-bb55-78930c3a7174}appcompat.txt

These files may be available here:

C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsWERReportArchiveNonCritical_BCMv4-Beta-BCMSe_2cca3010107bdd9b4c9be16c3e397d64361f2c7_03789a70

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: d007c013-f79e-11de-b373-001e37f2c131

<—Snip

inspection of the program files some SLQ folders but no options in controll panel or in add remove.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated im interested in seeing what functionality i can get between BCM and sharpoint

93. windgate says:

I am having the same issue as Divine (ie spawncmd.js).  I have tried installing (uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times) with no success.  I have sent a ‘frown’ with details multiple times also with no response.  Is there any fix?

"I’ve tried installing BCM 2010 several times on my Windows 7 machine. After the "reboot to complete installation" I get an error wrt SpawnCmd.js

Have you guys seen this error? Can you provide helpful hints as to how I can fix this?"

94. Ecurueil says:

Hi,

From you post, we read: "This version of Business Contact Manager requires Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus Beta".

Does it mean that BCM 2010 will only be made available with Office Professional Plus? If so, please advise, so I would loose no time with some great tool that unfortunately would not be made available to anyone not qualified for volume licensing…

95. DanBarnes says:

To add to Ecurueil’s Volume Licence version question. I too would like to know what the deal is in regards to what versions of office 2010 BCM will be available with. I have several clients at present who are not big enough for volume licence but could use BCM. I believe that BCM is great for any company from 1 user plus.

BCMteam do you know what the score will be / is?

96. carlbenfield says:

Hi, I’ve read through the threaads and have spent all day on this, so I hope you cna help.

I had Office 2007 with BCM 2007 working nicely on my XP SP3 machine.

I installed Office 2010 Beta which went fine and outlook  worked ok, but not suprisingly, BCM did not work as they are different versions.  I then downloaded and installed BCM 2010, which started opening files and then just went on to load Cleartype.  I was expecting more SQL type configurations to happen (but I’m not a luddite with SQL).

On opening outlook that time (and the time before) I have NOT been presented with a BCM first use wizard.

I see a link to Business Contacts in outlook, but when I click it, just get "the set of folders cannot be opened. Store not configured"

I have installed SQL Server 2008 and tried all of the above again, but with no success.

Please help!

97. chrish64 says:

I am trying to find out some information on scalablity for BCM 2010.  I have a customer that would like to put 20-30 users on a shared BCM database-half of them internal network users, the other half synchronizing remotes.  Full Microsoft CRM is complete overkill for them and completely out of their budget.  Would this kind of user count be feasable for BCM 2010?  Thanks.

98. Paris says:

DIVINE Wrote: I’ve tried installing BCM 2010 several times on my Windows 7 machine. After the "reboot to complete installation" I get an error wrt SpawnCmd.js

Later on he says he assigned a program to the .js extension [a lack of a program association for that file extension was causing the installation to hang-up on PC restart]

Mine is assigned to Dreaweaver but it just opens the file in dreamweaver. Can you please tell me with what program i shouls assign it so it works?

99. jdellecave says:

Hey, got a quick question, we have installed the beta Office Pro Plus 2010 product, and are now trying to load the BCM 2010 but getting error message "the system cannot find the file specified", which displays about half way through the load, right after it says its installing microsoft sql server 2008 express.

Please advise!  Thanks!

Joe

jdellecave@itentive.com

100. olliecaust says:

Hi – I’ve been having the same issue with the SpawnCMD.js file and non-installation and after hours of searching have finally found a solution.

I think it’s to do with the SQL only half-installing – its folder was in C:/Program Files but I couldn’t uninstall it from Control Panel.

Basically, manually delete C:/Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server and then run the BCM Installer again…  Hopefully it should now work…

Good luck! :)

Ol

101. CertComp says:

Is there a way for a company to restrict access to contacts so that user A can see contact A but user B cannot see contact A

Andrea

102. bcmteam says:

@CertComp

BCM does have entity level access restrictions.  If you can access the database, you can access all the items in bcm.

–Jerry [msft]

103. pnidoc says:

Hi Guys,

I’m having the same issues regarding not being able to complete the SQL 2008 database install. I’ve tried uninstalling all SQL 2008 express components 3 times but still get what looks to be a complete install of the db but BCM installer says otherwise.

I’ve tried to install SQL 2008 express sp1 as a standalone but get the error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup

——————————

The following error has occurred:

Could not open key: UNKNOWNComponentsDA42BC89BF25F5BD0AF18C3B9B1A1EE8A5D7170B6791B284A9FD1F69135A144A.   Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I’ve found that key and attemped to change the permissions but still get the same error. Right now I’m out of airspeed & ideas. Can someone assist? Thanks!

Peter

104. Phoenix Coyote says:

I believe that I’ve found the proper windows execution program to run this type file. Navigate yourself to C:WindowsSystem32WScript.exe

Select Wscript.exe as the default program to open the .js file type and try to re run the BCM installation.

105. Phoenix Coyote says:

I was speaking of the SpawnCmd.js file type. If you don’t know where to look for it, just conduct a search of your C drive.

106. grazing says:

I get an orror that says that I can’t install BCM because Outlook 2010 is not installed (even though it is).  In fact if Outlook is open, it asks me to close it. The eact error is:

Error installing BCM Beta 2010 – Microsoft Outlook 2010 must be installed before you can install Business Contact Manager

Any thoughts?

107. pnidoc says:

Howdy,

Finally defeated the SQL install permissions problem. I did an in-place upgrade (reinstalled my windows 7) from the set up disk.

That solved my registry permissions problem but the BCM install still failed. So…

I cleaned out all instances & references to the SQL 2008 express and did a manual install of SQL 2008 express SP1 and then ran the BCM installer again and success!

Been working on this sonofabeech for 8 weeks… Hope this helps.

Peter

108. tommybuoy60 says:

I have just recently started using BCM 2007 along with its Mobile program and its ok.

But I love what I am reading about the ability for great customization in the 2010 Beta.

If I get started now with the "Beta" version, will I have to totally redo everything once it is released in June or July?

And does the Mobile version for BCM 2010 operate ok?

It looks like you can see your Opportunities and possibly you Projects on this mobile version?

TJ

109. Bruce@owlpoint.com says:

I’m having a problem installing BCM 2010.  Similar isssue to a few of the folks already posted.  When installing and I am forced to restart, upon restart I get a Windows Script Host error in SpawnCmd.js, line 3, char 1, error Subscript out of range, code: 800A0009, Source Microsoft JScript runtime error.  Have tried to re-install, uninstall multiple upon multiple times.  ANy help or clues on how to fic this are welcomed.

Thanks.

110. Techware says:

I have installed the beta Office Pro Plus 2010 product, and are now trying to load the BCM 2010 but getting error message "the system cannot find the file specified", which displays about half way through the load, right after it says its installing microsoft sql server 2008 express.

Could you tell me how I can solve that problem?

111. KeithGrill says:

The MAPS program now has the final Office 2010 available for download for partners.

What is the ETA for the BCM 2010 rtm?

Can we use the BCM 2010 Beta with the non-beta Office 2010?

112. DanBarnes says:

Hi KeithGrill

You will find the MAPS RTM version of BCM 2010 when you goto download the MAPS RTM version of office 2010. (I’ve downloaded the 32 bit version this way)

Also no BCM 2010 beta will not work with Office 2010 RTM. I have been able to export all my customizations I did with BCM 2010 Beta and then import them (into a new BCM Database) with the RTM version.

Hope this helps

113. KeithGrill says:

Perhaps I am missing something, but on the download page of MAPS I downloaded the Office 2010 non-beta.  However, the only BCM listed is the 2007.

Can you send me the URL where you found BCM 2010 non-beta?

114. DanBarnes says:

It’s easy to miss. There is no download link in your MAPS software list. You have to select ‘office 2010 Pro Plus’, then choose the language and bit version (I choose English 32-Bit) then on the following page you should get not 1 but 2 download links, one is a .exe about 600Mb (office 2010) the other is an ISO image that’s about 450Mb (This one is BCM 2010 RTM)

If you’re still stuck i can try posting the link by due to the nature of the partner website, my link maybe different from yours as the content is dynamic.

115. ian says:

Anyone managed to resolve the error upon restarting after installation of BCM 2010?

the error is :

Windows Script Host Script: cuserstimappdatalocaltempBCMsetup.en-usspawncmd.js Error code 80070002 Source Null Line 9 Char 1 The system cannot find the file specified the spawncmd.js

if you look inside the spawncmd.js script it contains :

var SW_SHOWNORMAL = 1; var shell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.shell"); var cmdline = WScript.Arguments.Item(0); var i = 0; for ( i = 1; i < WScript.Arguments.Count(); i = i + 1 ) { cmdline += " " + WScript.Arguments.Item(i) + " "; } shell.run(cmdline, SW_SHOWNORMAL, false /*WaitOnReturn*/ );

any ideas? its so frustrating, been trying to fix this for weeks!!!

thanks in advance, Ian

116. Ian says:

I am also getting 'System cannot find file specified' with code 80070002 following the reboot post install fo Business contact manager

Seesm to be seaking SpawnCMD.js

Any ideas ?

117. Frank Lopes says:

if you look inside the spawncmd.js script it contains :

any ideas? its so frustrating, been trying to fix this for weeks!!!

thanks in advance, Ian

I get this same error and I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit OS

118. Steve Hudson says:

Has anyone got this fixed yet?

Cannot start service MSSQL$MSSMLBIZ on computer

119. Viviane Rosa (viviane.rosa@redstagtimber.co.nz) says:

I have a backup file from Office 2007 BCM (.bak). I have tried all sort of stuff to restore.

I have the backup from the SQL 2005, so i created a new database using the 2010 Database Tool on my SQL 2005 instance, i have restored the backup .bak on this. I have used the tool to backup to msbcm and also to sbb.

When i try to restore any of those using the backup to i get the message that will have to be migrated and in the 10% of migration i receive the error message with no details, but the migration was unsuccessfull. When i try using the Outlook 2010, i get the message to migrate, push ok, spend ages restoring and when it is migrating i also get the error. Everything is in a test computer with Windows XP downgraded from windows 7.

What could be the reasons to be able to restore but not to migrate? Please