Business Contact Manager for Microsoft Outlook 2010 Technical Preview Released

You have probably seen Office 2010 Technical Preview announcements in the press.  Microsoft released a preview of Office 2010 yesterday to a limited number of users. Technical Preview is invitation only program. Office 2010 also comes with a brand new version of the Business Contact Manager.  If you have received Technical Preview invitation, we highly recommend that you install new version of the Business Contact Manager, try new features, and give us feedback. You can download and install the Business Contact Manager from Microsoft Connect site (it's listed along with Office 2010 Tech Preview download)

Here is a list of some of the top features. We will be writing more about these and many other features in the coming weeks.

1.       New User Interface: BCM features a completely redesigned user interface. The new UI is task oriented, and features activity dashboards, business metric gadgets, configurable tabbed views, and customizable preview panes. The User Interface is fully customizable and allows end-users to select the view elements that fit their business needs. The new UI also integrates with the Office Ribbon and the BackStage.

2.       Dashboard: BCM offers a fully featured dashboard that enables users to manage their entire business and daily activities. The dashboard is fully customizable and can include a large number of sales, marketing, project management and utility gadgets. The dashboard will help users get a high level picture of their business and manage their priorities and tasks.

3.       New Form Designer:  BCM provides a new visual form designer that allows users to completely modify all BCM forms. Users can add up to 300 custom fields, remove fields (including default form fields) and add pages to forms. Customizations can be exported, imported, and shared across the organization.

4.       Custom Entities: With BCM 2010 users can better model their business processes by defining custom “contact” and “account” type entities. For instance, healthcare companies will be able to create “doctors”, “patients”, “practices”, etc. The custom entities benefit from all business functions such as aggregating communication history, reporting, and so forth.

5.       Sales Management: Business Contact Manager will allow users to define and track sales processes in an easy and straightforward manner. Users will be able to define multiple sales activities in multiple sales stages. Execution of sales activities is tracked directly on the opportunity and various dashboard gadgets and reports provide comprehensive analysis of sales status.

6.       Lead Management: Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 helps users track their business leads and the process of converting those leads into contacts and/or business opportunities. Leads in BCM are lightweight (customizable) contacts that also include a lead score which is either manually assigned or calculated based on a set of scoring criteria. Users can set scoring criteria that makes sense in their business, helping track the quality of the lead and optimizing the sales process

7.       Call List:  With Business Contact Manager 2010, users will be able to manage the process of calling multiple contacts. This feature offers an easy to use user interface that takes the hassle out of tracking the calling process and analyzing its results. Call List will also provide the ability to define a call script that can be used when conducting the call, guiding the caller and providing a template for capturing responses.

8.       Improved Reporting: Business Contact Manager will include enhanced business reporting. Reports will offer improved customization, sorting, and filtering, and custom reports can be defined and shared across the organization.

9.       Performance & Reliability: Business Contact Manager comes with significant performance improvements.

You can also follow the Office 2010 buzz @ the social community of your choice:

Visit this blog often as we will write more about Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010.

Thanks,

Mukesh

1. bricomp says:

What is the upgrade option/path for BCM 2007 to 2010 when the database is remote? It appears there is not one (the tool only presents a new option).

2. bricomp says:

Well – I am too impatient to wait for an answer…and I did find a fairly simple resolution. By using the new database tool I simply backed up my current DB and then restored it. When the restore process began it informed me it was going to upgrade the DB which it did. Once that was complete my Outlook client was able to connect just fine.

3. M.Marcus says:

Thank you for the information on the new/improved features for BCM 2010. Any idea of timing for release of BCM 2010?

Thanks,

Malcolm

4. We are using BCM 2007 with Outlook 2007 and have integrated it with Accounting 2009 which works really well. However one thing we cannot seem to do is view quotes created in accounting within BCM, so if I create an oppurtunity and then convert this to a quote it allows me to do everything but once done there is no way to view the quotes you have to go into accounting. It also does not update the oppurtunity amount from the quote which is a right pain.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

5. louis_bos says:

Dear BCM 2010 team.  Thank you for releasing such a great product.

Could you please give us a clearly defined path for upgrading BCM 2007 to BCM 2010 when already integrated with Microsoft Office Accounting 2009 SP2 UK Version.  We have upgraded our DB to BCM 2010 and Office Accounting cannot connect nor does integration perform as expected.  If this feature is not ready yet, is it in the pipeline for development as part of the 5 year maintenance agreement for MOA 2009?

Many thanks

6. hunglv78 says:

Hi all,

I am using BCM 2010 Beta. Please advise if there is any way to import a list of product or service items into Business Contact Manager like they way in Outlook 2007 (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HP011134571033.aspx?pid=CL100605171033)

Thanks,

Le Hung

Hanoi, Vietnam

7. bcmteam says:

Hi Le Hung,

You can achieve this by going to sales tab on navigation pane and on the ribbon look for Products and Services.

Thanks

-Vinit [MSFT]

8. Sheldonius says:

Call Lists is doing strange things. When I try to save a record in another file (Business Contacts), it calls up a blank record with my name on it and sends the entire call list into the Deleted file! When I restore the call list the settings have changed – the calling script has disappeared, the selected views have changed, and I have to start again from scratch. I tried this three times and the same thing happened.

9. SPSteve says:

Any idea of when the non beta will be released?

The current version will on install on:

en_office_professional_plus_2010_x64_515489

I’ve been waiting to use this, as a long time user of BCM, and even migrated all of my data from Quickbooks Customer Manager three years ago.

Without it, my company is dead in the water unless we roll back to Office 2007, which would NOT bode well for our relationship with Microsoft in the future.

10. SPSteve says:

Apologies…..it will NOT install on the current version of Office Pro Plus 2010 x64.

11. Phlawless says:

I have the same issue as SPSteve above.  Any thoughts?

12. Mark Foyle says:

Hi,

WE are a Microsoft partner and I am using Office 2010 as we download from our portal. When i attempted to install BCM 2010 from the download file BCMv4-Beta-BCMSetup-x86-en-US it advises: "This version of BCM is not compatible with the installed version of Outlook. Install the correct version of BCM or Outlook. [OK]"

Can you please advise the version of BCM i need to install to get this working..

Many thanks,

Mark

13. No one knows the answer. I have a csv file with 6000 contacts in 2000 companies that I want import into BCM. I was able to test import into 2007 5 companies and the 20 or so contacts, all as separate entries. But then I had to drag to attach to a company. Waaaay to much work for 6000 contacts and 2000 companies. Will BCM 2010 import 2000 companies, then import and attach 6000 contacts to the companies?

14. Andrew says:

I'm a CA [a Canadian CPA]  and I have individual clients as well as corporate clients. I have lawyers and banks that are considered to be contacts to more than one client.

-] do I set up an account for each client , individual and business client and then link contacts to each?

What the best way to set this kind of situation up?

15. Andrew says:

What the best way to set this kind of situation up?

16. Marki says:

Gentlemen – for the single user -Home Office Outlook 2010 with BCM is not an option as MS has made it a 5 user license. This is not right I have been using it for many years! I most recently wanted to utilize the quote feature integration with MS Accounting Express that was free – and only found 2009 n CNET site. Called MS to find out it’s all discontinued!

Then in the BCM version 2007 unless you can find a copy of MS Accounting 2008 you can’t convert an opportunity into a quote – and if you did you are paying $130 just for 1 feature so for all of the 1000s of Remote outside Sales Execs…. this is CRAZY!

We all use Outlook and we all need to quote products and there are all of these CRM apps designed with Exec mngmt in mind – not the guys that actually sell something! VERY FRUSTRATING

So if you know of a simple tool or MS 2007 – template – integration to put that “COVERT” to quote button and may this automated that would be great.!

Or if you can answer that the MS Accounting 2009 express – with the SQL SP3 will work or something please let me know ASAP!

Mahdi.1959@hotmail.com

17. Marki says:

Mahdi.1959@hotmail.com

18. Marki says:

Mahdi.1959@hotmail.com

19. Mahdi says:

Mahdi.1959@hotmail.com

20. Eduardo Canseco says:

I have MS Office 2010 enterprise, but I don´t know how work Business Contact Manager. Can you tell me where is it?

Thanks a lot.

Eduardo Canseco

21. Eduardo Canseco says:

Thanks a lot.

Eduardo Canseco

eduardo.canseco@gmail.com

22. Joe Tech says:

The migration form Act 6.0 to BCM 2010 is not at all flawless – it only migrated 370+ of our 5600+ contacts.

Upon attempting to export from Act to CSV then back up, after much tweaking we are able to migrate all our contacts, but with a great deal of lost data, fields….

If you are going to include migration tools in the software, it should have a little better migration record than 7%.

Any help would be appreciated.

rmahrling@yahoo.com

23. Paulo de souza says:

Wow, what a shambles. You decide NOT to support small business owners who already have outlook 2007 with BCM? Is this wise? Do you understand that each of those owners will unlikley buy from you again. I wont, I feel conned, I bought 2007 only to find accounting integration stopped by MS and now BCM containing all my business data is not to be made available to me? wow? Never EVER again. MS are just to slow, too whack.. too complacent with ALL THAT MONEY TOO… ASTONISHING, I could have done better with 2 years 20 staff and 3 mill, easily, thats what makes this so.. so.. galling

24. Kelly says:

I am using office 2010 with business contact manager and every time i open business contact manager, outlook crashes.  any ideas?

25. Lost in Microsoft says:

I'm looking for a whitepaper, best practices and a little help in selling this product as a solution to a law firm. Where can I find this information?

26. Lost in Microsoft says:

27. attention lost in Microsoft says:

The help is write here in the post. Don't sell it.

28. Patrick says:

Using BCM 2010, from the Accounts records list, when I configure columns to show "contacts" it comes up blank.  Shouldnt this show all the contacts linked to this account?

Likewise, when I'm in Contact Management and I configure the columns to show "Account" this always comes up blank.  How can I configure this to show the Account each Contact is linked to ?

29. Howard says:

Have just upgraded to MS Office 2010 from 2007 where BCM was running quite happily. Followed all the instructions product key etc, only one problem, the download via Digital River is in German, not English as requested at the language prompt. Digital River are unable or unwilling to help and I can find nowhere to contact Microsoft about this particular issue. Any ideas?

30. scitizen says:

I have been using ACT for years and I am continually frustrated with its slowness and lack of reliable synchronization with Microsoft Outlook.  Is there a resource available which can transfer most of the ACT Contact data over to Microsoft Outlook.  This would include the Notes, Groups etc from ACT?

Thanks, sscarlis@msn.com

31. Just find an alternative says:

BCM is the worst MS crap I've had to deal with so far, no trapping of errors so if it goes wrong you are on your own. "An exexpected error has occured" SLACK PROGRAMMING and IMPOSSIBLE to try and fix, even if you know your stuff on computers and software. Shame on you MS for releasing a supposed business tool that is unreliable and need 'special' permissions to setup.

32. Tim Ollhoff says:

Why is it that when I want to design the form using "Developer" that as soon as I click on the developer tab the first tab (General) changes completely?  I want to add fields to subsequent tabs but keep the General Tab the way it is.

33. Esat says:

How can i define my own "status" for project tasks?

Skip to main content