Frequently Asked Questions for Database

SQL Database should be set to log on as local system account

In a shared scenario, files that are linked or files part of an email are not being stored in the database?

Email and attachments cannot be currently stored in the BCM db to avoid consuming all the database space.

SQL Express using lot of memory on my system

Install free download “SQL Server Management Studio Express” for setting Max
Memory
Info on why this is helpful:

Download Source:  “Managing SQL Server Express”
(SQLServer2005_SSMSEE.msi)

Installs to Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server 2005

User Instructions:
Open SQL Server Management Studio Express
Connect to SQL database
At Object Explorer, right click on Server Name to provide Properties Dialog
box
Select Memory
Enter desired Maximum Server Memory (Recommended not less than 100MB)

Where my database is physically located?

Databases are physically created at

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Business Contact Manager

I recently upgraded my machine from XP to vista with office 2007. How do I get my old BCM on office 2007 using my backup files?

You need to back up BCM database on XP and restore it after upgrade to VISTA. If the user accounts are different after upgrade, you need to run Outlook as “Run as Administrator”.

Can I use BCM 2003 to connect to a shared database created by BCM 2007?

All the BCM clients needs to be of same version

What is SQL server instance Name for BCM 2007?

It’s MSSMLBIZ

What is the difference between “.sbb” and “.msbcm” back up files and SQL “.bak” files?

.sbb” or “.msbcm” files are the compressed version of “.bak” file. “.sbb” file also contains an xml file to keep some generic database information such as language and the version of the database.

1. Outlook  , by design stays in the background to quickly reopen the program.  The problem is if my system receives an update and reboots, crashes, or i close it, outlook is closed as if I use the task manager.  When doing that it corrupts the sql database for bcm and the .pst file.

When I exit Outlook I want it to close.  When the system closes processes (as in after an unattended update) I want it to close outlook fully.

2. what can I do it my mdf file attached ok but the ldf will not.

3. I have found the problem to be BCM and inheirant to many add-on applications. This is somehting bad as everytime MS does an update or I have to close BCM it corrupts my .pst and or .mdf.ldf and or my sql linkage.

THIS IS CRITICAL as I’ve lost much data and time spending over a year now with this issue, spendin several hundred dollars is MS support who have been able to help me learn how to reinitialize the sql database but never fixed the problem.

HELP

4. Jerry Blake says:

Hi emilberger

Sorry to hear you having problems with your BCM. What exactly is the problem now?

5. gary@energypro says:

We have deployed BCM on SBS 2003 and have been working well for a while. 5 users.

Within the past few days – we are unable to access ‘accounts’ – we can get business contacts to open but accounts will not. We can get a list of accounts but double-clicking on one of them just does nothing.

I have searched the blog for a similar issue or where to post this comment for support but this is as close as I can get.

can anyone help?

6. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Gary

Is it on all the Client machines ? Can you enable logging and see what it logs since no errors are thrown. To enable logging go to Help –> About Business Contact Manager for Oulook, and check the check box Enable logging.

7. rooser says:

I have BCM 2007 sitting on SQL Express and have merged Accounting 08 with it.

All runs OK, but recently I have found that random Accounts in BCM are disappearing, I have managed to get them back by changing the IsDeletedLocally field for the Account to Flase rather than True. but I can’t seem to find the Communication History for the Account, I’m sure it’s not deleted, but can you give a clue as to whcih table it’s hiding in!!!

8. Jerry Blake says:

Is the database shared out to other users? I dont see a reason why this should happen.

Could you check your deleted items folder and see if you can find the history items there?

9. johnjm04 says:

Quick questions:

1) Is there a size limit to the BCM database, whether it is stored locally OR hosted by the DB Admin tool

2) How are shared DBs synced? Through email (like ACT?)

10. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Johnjm04

1. Yes the size limit i believe is 4GB.
    2. can you be more specific about db sync?

Vinit[MSFT]

11. johnjm04 says:

Vinit,

When you have a shared local database on one user’s machine and another user makes updates to that database.  How does it send or communicate with the shared database for these updates?

• John M.
  12. Jerry Blake says:

Hi John

BCM takes care of it for you. But keep in mind that the last writer wins.

13. johnjm04 says:

How does BCM take care it? SQL? Peer to Peer – TCPIP?

Is there a way I can contact you directly? email?

14. Jerry Blake says:

Hi John

So the communication channel is over TCP/IP. we have an administrative utility that does the communication on both the client and server side.

please send me your email address if you have anyother questions regarding this.

Vinit[MSFT]

15. mofin23 says:

Hi,

I was wondering how you set different permission levels for different users on the shared database.  So far I have seen two different levels–administrator and database user.  How do you differentiate bewteen permission levels when you add a new user?  Can you change permissions for existing users?

Thanks.

16. Jerry Blake says:

Hi

BCM is not been designed to have different permission levels for users on the database. If a user has access to the database, he/she can pretty much do anything on the database.

17. h2realty says:

I have exported a BCM database file from one computer and imported it to another computer.  The computer I imported it to will serve as my "server" which my team members will access the database.  Two questions:

a.  Is it possible to preserve the "created on" date?  All reports I run have the "created on" date as the date in which I imported the database.

b.  Is it possible for me to access the shared database if I were at my house and not the office…I’m outside of the network.  How do I go about accessing the database instead of "working offline"

If you could…please email me with a response in addition to posting it here.  carl@h2realty.com

Thank you so much!

18. csarathi says:

Hi BCM Team.

I have a setup of 6 PC’s with Outlook 2003 with BCM.

The server is also with BCM 2003.

4 PC’s on the site have 2003 and they connect to the server database without any problem.

However there are 2 machines with Outlook 2007 which BCM 2007, which connects ok through the command prompt. (osql -E -S SSAPC01microsoftsmlbiz,56183) returns 1>.

However BCM 2007 does not connect to the DB.

Could you please help ?

Many Thanks .

Sarathi

19. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Sarathi

Unfortunately, BCM can only connect to same versions. i.e. 2007 client can connect only to 2007 server. This is by design.

20. yani1shu says:

I have setup my BCM database on my SQL server and have successfully connected myself and one other user to it. I am able to create user defined fields and permanently delete records just fine, but my co-worker is unable to do either. Both our user accounts are set to Database User on the server using the Database Administration Tool. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

21. Jerry Blake says:

Hi

So you need to be an administrator on the sql server to be able to use customization. You should add your co-worker as admin on the server box, then he should be able to customize.

let me know if it helped.

22. yani1shu says:

yea but what if i don’t want my users to be admins on the server, which i really don’t.

23. Jerry Blake says:

Hi

This is something by desing. Only a DB owner or an Admin on the machine/database can do customization in BCM.

24. johnjm04 says:

Right now I have my outlook 2007 with BCM and a local database. I have shared the local DB to another test user on the network. When the other test user makes updates to the BCM DB, how are they transferred to the local database?

I think you mentioned TCP/IP before, but what protocol?

– John M.

25. jdentremont99999999 says:

How can i write a query or export BCM opportunities, so that i can open in Excel?

26. kdorsey says:

Our customer has a distributed BCM environment, using Outlook 2007, with a central SQL 2005 server, local users (typically online-mode only) and several remote users that have offline capability. When the remote users return from the field (still remote), they usually sync and bring the performance of the local network to its knees. If BCM is only performing differential updates, why is performance so bad? How can we quantify the amount of necessary updates before a user starts the process?

27. Peta says:

Im not sure where to post this question:

I have migrated my data from ACT as I was unhappy with the level of support for the product given the number of issues. I also had the Treo 650 (there are two of us in the office and we would like to have out contacts on the run) I find in BCM it is almost impossible to do the basic operations I took for granted in Act like sending a quote (proposal) to a client using a word template or then sending a confirmation.  When I open word and try to do a mail merge as soon as I select use Contacts from Outlook Word closes with no explanation.  I cant even seem to find a basic step by step instruction of how to create templates ion word that then use the BCM contacts. I must have spent hundreds of hours over the last two years trying to get a data base up and running, frankily using an old fashioned client card box would have been more effcicient – I only have around 200 contacts, need to do some very simple stuff and it seems at every turn there is another problem. I am now thinking of going back to ACT as they seemed to have upgraded plus there seems to be a variety of reliable third party software suppliers for syncing with hand held devices.

28. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Peta,

I’m really sorry to hear that you having problems with BCM. Can you give us information on Word shutting down on you? Could you give us the bucket number of the crash ( you can find that by going in to event log and check for MS word log under applications)?

Do you have all the latest updates for both BCM and MS Word?

29. AGB says:

Hi All,

I have successfully been using BCM 2007 with a shared DB on Small business server 2003 for over a year now and have 5 people sucessfully syncing offline/online on a routine basis.  One of my laptops ran into problems releasying the online sync.  So I dropped the remote DB and went to reattach the db (Done this before and usually fixes any funkiness).  Long Story short the DB will re-attach but when I go to enable offline sync – it goes through the sync process but then errors out at the very end with "unable to complete you last request"  When I look in the logs – looks like it’s timming out. Any ideas on how to fix??

30. gigsy says:

Hiya

We have a bcm server setup in our centeral office which is working well.  All the initial first time sync that were done locally at tthe site have completed successfully.  I then attemtepted to setup a machine with bcm at a remote site over vpn and unfortuantely this started to do teh sync and then failed during the sync.  I encounter this problem for all machines doing the first time sync to bcm from a WAN location.  The same machine did a successfull sync when done from the local office and all other syncs for this machine have been compoleting successfully from then on (from any location).  so it seems the problem is with doing a first time sync from a WAN location.  Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

31. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Hiya,

I have a few questions for you,

1. How long does it take for the sync to fail?

2. Did you check event viewer for any logs?

3. Can you please provide BCM logs after turning on BCM logs?

32. gigsy says:

Hiya Vinit

will get a hold of a remote machine later this afternoon and will send you the requested details asap

thanks for the reponse

much appreciated

33. c.veen@yahoo.co.uk says:

Hi to all i am very new to all this so please excuse the ‘learner driver’ knowlege … Let me just give an outline of what i am trying to do and see if anybody can help … I am currently trying to set up a mail order website …it is and .asp site and i am using msql database to drive the backend .. i hope to plug in BCM and Office Account pro 2008 via backend for data transfere … what i can gather so far is that you can import the data into BCM in several ways but this will either copy over or duplicate this info… the only way i can see of simpley updating the changes or applying the new data is to import it as a .bcm file … my web developer can create a backend database with all the relivant info we require to put into BCM but he cant change the file format into .bcm file … if we can do this then we can import all the changes into BCM on a daily update … i beleive BCM database is just a msql database but renamed is that true … as we are using all microsoft programs there must be a way of doing this … can anyone help … regards chris

34. broholm says:

Hi

I upgraded Office with BCM from 2003 to 2007 (XP). Not one error shown, but the BCM data was not there, when I started Outlook 2007. I have spend several days trying to fix that. What I am trying now is to reestablish the 2003 environment on an other computer (also XP).

After installation and update I restore the .mdf and .ldf file to the …..business contact manager directory and uses the command sp_attach_db to attach the files to the database. First time I do that I get ‘transactions rolled back in database…’ second time no errorcode – but the database can’t be seen from within outlook, when I try to select an existing BCM database to outlook.

Any good ideas? /Jens

35. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Jens,

Sorry to hear you having problems with BCM. So, when you upgrade from BCM 2003 to 2007 we create a backup file in your "My documentsMy Business" folder. You can use that file to restore your data in BCM 2003.

I hope this helps

-Vinit [MSFT]

36. TheLorax says:

Hey all,

I am installing BCM 2007 on my laptop and connecting to a BCM DB on a domain server. I use this laptop for development and already have SQL Server 2005 running on it and wanted to have BCM use this existing SQL Server instead of having a separate SQL Server 2005 Express instance running all of the time. I have looked in the configuration for BCM and don’t see any place where I can change the server location for backup. Can anyone help with this or point me to information?

Thanks!

Robin

37. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Robin,

So BCM creates a MSSMLBIZ SQL server instance for itself. This shouldnt conflict with your previous SQL Server installation.You can uninstall the instance and still connect to your remote database but then you wont be able to create a local offline db.

let me know if i you have any other question regarding this.

38. TheLorax says:

I knew that BCM wouldn’t conflict with the previous install. I just didn’t want to have 2 instances of SQL server running on my laptop. I’m setting up a new laptop and my old laptop had 3 instances of SQL server running. A full version for an app I use, one for Visual Studio and one for BCM. I already skipped the VS2008 SQL server express install and will use the full SQL install from the other app if I need it for development purposes. I also want to make BCM use the existing full install of SQL server for it’s offline database if at all possible. That way I would only have to have 1 instance of SQL server running on my laptop. Please feel free to email me at robinh@aurora-ia.com for further info.

Thanks for replying so quickly to my original post! 🙂

Robin

39. DawnAtYourService says:

I have had nothing but problems with MS Pro 2007 since my first install, but the first problem I have to tackle is resuming BCM’s function. (I’m running on Vista Home Premium.)Below is a list of the errors I’ve received:

Business Contact manager database cannot be loaded.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL server does not allow remote connections (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0-No such host is known.

Do you want to configure now- Yes

Error Cannot find the selected database. Verify that the network and the computer on which the databases are located are availabe and that you have permission to access the database and retry.

Recreated a database

Error: Microsoft Outlook has stopped working

Looking for a solution

Outlook is restarting

BCM add-on disabled

When I click on BCM I get an error:

BCM for outlook could not complete your last transaction. Please try again.

I can’t find where to enable BCM

Any suggestions? 🙁

Thanks in advance.

Dawn

40. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Dawn,

First of all really sorry to hear you having problems with BCM.

Few things i would want you to be sure of

1.Do you have all updates for BCM?

2.Also make sure you have SQL Server Express 2005 updated to SP3?

3.Are you the owner of the database?

Now to enable BCM go to

Tools –>Trust Center –>Add -ins. On this page look at the bottom and you’ll find Manager selection box. Please select, Diabled Items and hit the Go button.Select Business Contact Manager and hit enable. You have to restart outlook inorder for BCM to be loaded back again.

41. Grasshopper says:

My database is getting rather large, particularly the communication history.  I am unable to find any instructions on how to archive.  I assume this is periodically necessary to keep the database from collapsing under its own size.  How do I archive so all users will still be able to access old data?  Thank you for your help.

42. number3 says:

I am using 2007 BCM and am trying to create opportunity reports.  It seems that opportunity notes from the details window are not available in the reporting options.  So I want create custom reports using Access through an ODBC connection to the BCM database.  Then I decided to include the user defined fields I have created but can not find what table that data in these fields is located.  All I can find is the table with the field definitions but not the data fields.  Can any one help?

43. jedge says:

Is there any work being done to facilitate BCM synch using RPC over HTTP the same way Outlook does?

44. mduffey12 says:

BCMTEAM;

I am having issues with a user synchronizing to a shared BCM database. Synch gets approximately 2/3 through and disconnects. I have checked the logs from BCM and they are posted below. It appears to be the same error every time. We have 3 users and this user is the only one having an issue. He is the only user using a laptop (other desktops are constantly connected to the network). Server is SBS 2003 using SQL Express. This user is the heaviest user of the database and makes changes constantly.

[Error]Error in synchronizing. Exception details follow System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.DataSync.ChangeListWinsResolver.ResolveActivity(ArrayList entityFieldCollection, Boolean& softDelete, BCMActivity activity, Boolean storeItemSoftDelete)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.ImportExportDataAccess.NewEntityImport.CreateNewIrisActivity(IrisSubActivityType activitySubType, RecurringDate recurDate, String linkToOutlookItem, ArrayList entityFieldCollection, String parentIdString, String entryIdString, DuplicateInfo dupInfo, Int64 importSinceVersion, Int64 activityChangedVersion, Int64 activityLinkChangedVersion, Boolean softDelete, Boolean honorSoftDelete, Boolean dropStoreDeletedItems, Boolean treatAbsentAttributesAsBlank, Boolean checkDuplicatesByGuidOnly)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.ImportExportBase.XmlEntityImport.ProcessActivity(XmlNode activity, Int64 importSinceVersion, String parentEntryId, XmlImportOptions xmlImportOptions)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.ImportExportBase.XmlEntityImport.ProcessEntity(XmlNodeList children, String entityType, ExcludeNodes en, Int64 importSinceVersion, EventsManager eventsMgr, XmlImportOptions xmlImportOptions, String parentEntryId)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.ImportExportBase.XmlEntityImport.ImportEntity(XmlReader entity, ExcludeNodes en, EventsManager eventsMgr, Int64 importSinceVersion, XmlImportOptions xmlImportOptions)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.ImportExportBase.XmlManager.ImportFromValidatedXml(XmlTextReader xr, ImportManager impMgr, ExcludeNodes en, XmlImportOptions xmlImportOptions)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.ImportExportBase.XmlManager.DoIrisXmlImport(ImportManager impMgr, ExcludeNodes en, XmlImportOptions xmlImportOptions)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.ImportExportBase.ImportManager.DoIrisXmlImport(ExcludeNodes en, XmlImportOptions xmlImportOptions)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.ImportExportBase.ImportManager.DoImport(ExcludeNodes en, XmlImportOptions xmlImportOptions, List`1 lstUserFieldCollection)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.ImportExportBase.OutlookChangeListConsumer.Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.DataSync.IChangeListConsumer.ApplyChanges(ChangeList changes, EventsManager eventsMgr)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.DataSync.SyncManager.Synchronize(SyncPoint sp, IContext producerContext, IContext consumerContext, SyncLog syncLog).

45. Jerry Blake says:

Hi md-consulting,

We are currently looking in to this issue. But for now can you change your offline conflict resolution settings to "Latest Win" and see if this helps?

46. mduffey12 says:

Thank you BCM team. I will be going into this location on Friday and will try that then update the site.

47. BCMUserG says:

I want to save the database files and cache files automated.

I know that I can check the database name form the Outlook Windows "Business Contact Manager | Database Tools | Manage Database".

But how can I get the name of the used database?

In windows registry under the tree "..Profiles[Profilname]" I can get the name of the standard database. But if I change the database in BCM2007 no changes will be done in the registry.

Is there another solution to get the name of the active database?

Thanks for any help.

48. BCMUserG says:

Sorry, please forget my last question.

It would be changed in the registry if you change the database. I was searching under a wrong profilename 😉

49. asampels says:

Need help on a shared BCM 2007 database setup.

I have tried numerous versions of SQl (2005 to 2008) on Servers that range from 2003 to 2008. Currently running SQL 2008 on Server 2008 x32. I am able to create and connect to all the databases (I have even tried installing outlook with BCM on one of the servers to create the database). but they all run painfully slow from the client. It can easily take 40 to 60 seconds to open a contact. If I restart the SQL server things run like I would expect for a few minutes before slowing back down.

The servers and clients do have Symantec Endpoint Protection on them and it seems to help if I shutdown the scan on the client machine. But it it random.

The current client I am playing with is Outlook 2007 on Vista Ultimate.

Any help or direction would be apreciated.

50. Chammy says:

Hi there – can you help with how to restore an old mdf and ltf file in BCM?

I have looked through many forums and tried different things but nothing has worked.

Basically I am running XP with SP3. I had a BCM database running fine and had all my contacts etc in there. My OS crashed last week and I had to do a Factory restore. Unfortunatley I didn’t have a proper back up done, but I do have copies of the mdf and ltf files. I am trying to get my reinstalled BCM to recognise this old datebase but nothing I do seems to work

Can anyone help? Please???

Many thanks

51. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Chammy,

So, you can copy your .mdf and .ldf files to

C:Documents and Settings"User Name"Application DataMicrosoftBusiness Contact Manager Folder.

When you run outlook, BCM First use should recognize your database. Also make sure the credentials are the same on your machine as before.

let me know if you have any other issues with this.

– Vinit [MSFT]

52. Chammy says:

Hi Vinit

Thank you for your response.

I tried reinstalling BCM with the files in the correct place. It couldn’t see the database when I first ran it but came up with a permissions error. Could that be because the computer name was different when I initially set up the database?

Thing is I can’t remember what the name was – I just accepted the default that it gave me. How do I change the permissions so I can attach the database?

Many thanks

53. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Chammy,

Try the following

1)Open a command Prompt by running explicitly as administrator

2)Type sqlcmd -s [your machine name]MSSMLBIZ. Hit enter

3)Type use [your bcm database name]. Then type go and hit enter

4) Type sp_changedbowner ‘[your machinename][your login name]’. Then type go and hit enter

if you dont get any error after step 4 you should be good to go.

let me know if this helped.

54. Chammy says:

Hi Vinit

Sorry if I am being stupid here, not sure how to explicitly become an administrator?

My user profile states I am also an administrator so I tried going straight to point 2). I entered the command as you state, I was given a blank command screen entitled SQLCMD , the cursor was flashing but I couldn’t type anything. Then the screen just vanished.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for your continual help here

55. Chammy says:

Hi Vinit

I worked out how to run the command prompt as administrator – when I run your point 1, the message I am getting is:

HResult 0x2, Level 16, State 1

Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2}.

Sqlcmd: Erro: Microsft SQL Native Client: An error has occured while establising a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be cause by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections ..

Sqlcmd: Erro: Microsft SQL Natice Vlient : Login timeout expired

I checked the settings to make sure that remote connetions ARE allowed. And I checked I was using the right machine name, and it still doesn’t work

Any ideas?

Many thanks

56. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Chammy,

Please try to use

sqlcmd -S .MSSMLBIZ

instead and see if it works.

57. Chammy says:

Hi Vinit

Sorry – same result as before 🙁

any other ideas?

Many thanks

58. VerumSeeker says:

Are there (rather) strict limits on .pst file sizes that can be used in Outlook with BCM?

I am trying to use Outlook 2007 Professional with Business Contact Manager.

I have two small .pst files that I use in Outlook.  One is 240 MB and the other is 1,400 MB.  Before I add a Business Contact Manager database the two .pst files work fine together.

And if I remove either of the .pst files and then add an empty BCM database everything seems to work OK.  However, if I have both .pst files active and then try to add a new (empty) BCM database, I get the following message when Outlook attempts to start: "Cannot start processing services.  There is not enough free memory to run this program.  Quit one or more programs and then try again."

And there are no programs other than Outlook running.  This machine is running XP with SP3 and has 4 GB of Ram which should be waaaaaaay more than enough to handle this load.  What is wrong?  I am totally stumped at this point and am not sure what to even try next.

Operating System is on Raid 0 (2x) WD 75GB raptors

Page file is on L: and (hard) set (both min & max) to recommended 4989.

c: (NTFS on drive 1)  148.70 GB  121.39 GB free

l: (NTFS on drive 4)  500.10 GB  437.98 GB free

I have been to MS Update and installed all the patches for everything.

59. akeetley says:

Hi Guys,

Can a Business Contact Manager Shared database be running off of one server, while the other server is hosting the exchange server?

I am getting some Outlook hangups where the window can minimize and maximize, but is frozen.    We’re running two server 2003 boxes and trying to connect 2 clients now, but eventually 15.   I tested on my client workstation as a standalone for over two months with no issue,  but as soon as I went to a shared DB, trouble started.

60. PaulSch says:

Hi,

I have been unable to work offline!

We’re using BCM 2007 on a shared database remotely. I have everything configured properly. There is not much to configure with BCM. If I try to go offline manually it says that it’s configuring the offline database. The processes fails at 90% and I get an error message saying that "BCM could not complete the last action or actions, please try again".

It stays online at that point. If I sever the connection then it goes offline but the database is empty (BCMoutlook_offline). When I try to reconnect by going online it gives me a message that its unable to reconnect to the database.

In addition, when online I occasionally get a Sync Interrupted error.

The rest of the office users are fine. I’m on Vista Ultimate.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Paul

61. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Paul,

Is your shared database size really large i.e. a few gbs?.If so add the code below to the beginning of the db_create_script.sql file located in C:Program FilesMicrosoft Small BusinessBusiness Contact Manageren-US  to change the growth of the transaction log.

DECLARE @CurrentDatabaseName CHAR(200)

SET @CurrentDatabaseName = db_name()

DECLARE @SQLStatement1 CHAR(2000)

DECLARE @SQLStatement2 CHAR(2000)

SET @SQLStatement1 = ‘ALTER DATABASE ‘ + rtrim(ltrim(@CurrentDatabaseName)) + ‘ MODIFY FILE (NAME= ”’ + rtrim(ltrim(@CurrentDatabaseName)) + ‘_dat”, FILEGROWTH=100);’

SET @SQLStatement2 = ‘ALTER DATABASE ‘ + rtrim(ltrim(@CurrentDatabaseName)) + ‘ MODIFY FILE (NAME= ”’ + rtrim(ltrim(@CurrentDatabaseName)) + ‘_log”, FILEGROWTH=100);’

EXEC(@SQLStatement1)

EXEC(@SQLStatement2)

GO

See if this works.

-Vinit [MSFT]

62. PaulSch says:

Vinit,

Its not that large yet.  Its just my contacts out there.  Although no one else is having the offline issue that I’m having, we have held off going live with everyone until my issues are resolved.  It was my idea for us to go with BCM so I need to give it a thumbs up.

Do you still want me to do it?

63. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Paul,

So from your post above it sounds like the offline database creation is not happening properly. Could you turn on logging by going to Help –>Business Contact Manager –> enable logging( check the check box)?

Then try the steps mentioned by you above. After you see the error, go to your temp folder ( type %temp% in the run command). You’ll see bcmv3.log file. Please find the error message and post it here.

-Vinit [MSFT]

64. PaulSch says:

Hi Vinit,

Just for the heck of it I made the changes to the script like you suggested.  This time when I attempted to take it offline, it did not go to the final step of "Finalizing the database configuration".  The BCM tool bar just went away.  When I went to view BCM contacts it said "store not configured" where the contacts would be.  I shut down outlook and restarted and then I got the error message that BCM could not complete the previous action or actions.

I’m not sure if you want the whole log, but I pasted below after I restarted outlook.

[V] [19:07:07.0508082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMSCapabilities::GetCapabilities:Enter: 0x03dedf8c

[V] [19:07:07.0508082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMSCapabilities::GetCapabilities:Return: 0x03dedf8c, 0x00000000

[I] [19:07:15.1818082]BusinessLayer: BCP – Error while BCPing (DoCopyTable) a single table…ActivityNotesTable, Error number: -2, Error Message: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

[E] [19:07:15.1818082]BCMRes: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

[E] [19:07:15.1828082]BCMRes:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.WriteSni()

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.WritePacket(Byte flushMode)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.WriteByteArray(Byte[] b, Int32 len, Int32 offsetBuffer, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.WriteString(String s, Int32 length, Int32 offset, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.WriteValue(Object value, MetaType type, Byte scale, Int32 actualLength, Int32 encodingByteSize, Int32 offset, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.WriteBulkCopyValue(Object value, SqlMetaDataPriv metadata, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServerInternal()

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteRowSourceToServer(Int32 columnCount)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServer(IDataReader reader)

at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.BusinessLayer.BulkCopy.DoCopyTable(SqlConnection SharedCn, String CommandText, SqlConnection OfflineConnection, SqlTransaction OfflineTran, String TableName)

[E] [19:07:15.1828082]BCMRes: Text:

[E] [19:07:15.1828082]BCMRes: Message:Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

[V] [19:07:31.7628082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMAPITable::Abort:Enter: 0x03e6df88

[V] [19:07:31.7628082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: MAPITable::Abort:Return: 0x03e6df88, 0x00000000

[V] [19:07:31.7638082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMAPITable::Abort:Enter: 0x03e6df88

[V] [19:07:31.7638082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: MAPITable::Abort:Return: 0x03e6df88, 0x00000000

[V] [19:07:31.7648082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMAPITable::Unadvise:Enter: 0x03e6df88

[V] [19:07:31.7648082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: MAPITable::Unadvise:Return: 0x03e6df88, 0x00000000

[V] [19:07:31.7678082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMsgStore::Unadvise:Enter: 0x03dba7a8

[V] [19:07:31.7678082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: MsgStore::Unadvise:Return: 0x03dba7a8, 0x00000000

[V] [19:07:31.7688082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMSLogon::Logoff:Enter: 0x03e0cd80

[V] [19:07:31.7758082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: MSLogon::Logoff:Return: 0x03e0cd80, 0x00000000

[V] [19:07:33.8188082]Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn: ExplorerWrapper:moExplorer_Close: Enter

[V] [19:07:33.9068082]Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddIn: ExplorerWrapper:moExplorer_Close: Exit

[V] [19:07:33.9538082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMSLogon::Logoff:Enter: 0x03e0cf88

[V] [19:07:33.9748082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: MSLogon::Logoff:Return: 0x03e0cf88, 0x00000000

[V] [19:07:33.9808082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMSProvider::Shutdown:Enter: 0x03dc34b8

[V] [19:07:33.9858082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: MSProvider::Shutdown:Return: 0x03dc34b8, 0x00000000

[V] [19:07:33.9978082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMAPITable::Unadvise:Enter: 0x03d9e5e8

[V] [19:07:33.9978082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: MAPITable::Unadvise:Return: 0x03d9e5e8, 0x00000000

[V] [19:07:34.0048082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMAPITable::Unadvise:Enter: 0x10382bf8

[V] [19:07:34.0048082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: MAPITable::Unadvise:Return: 0x10382bf8, 0x00000000

[V] [19:07:34.0258082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMsgStore::Unadvise:Enter: 0x03dc8f28

[V] [19:07:34.0258082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: MsgStore::Unadvise:Return: 0x03dc8f28, 0x00000000

[V] [19:07:34.0268082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: IMSLogon::Logoff:Enter: 0x03e0ce98

[V] [19:07:34.0328082]Iris.Mapi.MessageStore: MSLogon::Logoff:Return: 0x03e0ce98, 0x00000000

Please advise as to what I should do.  Thanks for your help, Vinit.

Paul

65. PaulSch says:

Hi Vinit,

I ran the operation again and pulled this info from the log. It is referenced a lot.

-and-

BCP – Could not BCP (DoBulkCopy) due to loss of connection to shared db. Error Message: This action cannot be completed because Business Contact Manager cannot access the database.

I am not on the corporate domain and working from a laptop with a VPN connection.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Paul

66. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Paul,

Are you able to connect to the shared db without any problems? If yes,Are you also able to do all the basic BCM operations when connected to the shared DB?

Are you successfully able to create a local database?

-Vinit [MSFT]

67. PaulSch says:

Hi Vinit,

I am able to connect to the shared db without any problems.  I can work on the shared db while connected.  And I am able to create a local db with no issues.

I just can’t go "work offline".  The configuration process of going offline never completes. The BCM tool bar disappears and contact list is empty and say’s the store is not configured. The log says that it times out or can’t connect to the db.  Yet I’m able to work on it online.  Yes, there is a lag but for the most part its only a few second delay.

I’m current with updates and SPs.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled so many times that I an do it in my sleep. Everything is leaning towards SQL Server but I can’t find anything. I’m almost certain that this is a local issue to my laptop.

I have come across similar issues on the web but with no resolution for those as well.  I was hoping this would be obvious for your team.

Paul

68. mehrhardt says:

I checked our ActivityNotesTable. ActivityNotesTable is a large table at 66MB in BCM.  The total size is 299MB.  We are using SQLEXPRESS 2005.  Would using the Standard Version of SQL Server improve the synchronization process?

As our database has grown performance for our VPN users and our users in Hungary have gone down.  To test we have installed BCM in Hungary and now see the delays & failures they are experiencing here in the US.

I also get this error in my log

69. pelumu says:

Is the whole mail with attachments saved in the BCM database when I link it to a contact?

I have read that only 4 kbyte and no attachments are stored in the BCM database? Is that correct?

70. sanj.melb says:

Hi

We are currently using BCM 2007 with Exchange 2003 and MS SQL 2005 Express Edition.  BCM database is getting close to 4 GB Limit.

Questions

1. Can we move to MS SQL 2008 Standard Edition?

2. The next release of BCM 2010 what database does it use?

Thanks in advance

Sanjay

71. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Sanjay,

To answer your questions:

1.  Yes, you can move to this version of sql with the new version of bcm.  We don’t support it with the 2007 version.  However we do support full versions of sql 2005 with the 2007 version.

2.  The new version of bcm will continue to use sql express, but it will be the 2008 version of sql express.  Like the pervious versions of bcm, you will be able to use full version of sql if you find you need larger than 4 gb databases.    The next version of bcm will support both 2005 and 2008 version of sql server.

If you find your database is getting close to the 4 gb limit, you might want to look at deleting some of your old history items from bcm.  This will free up space in your db.  That is, if you are able to part with the history.

thanks,

–Jerry [MSFT]

72. michal88 says:

I have BCM 2007 clients on 5 computers (desktop and laptops) with shared database on SQL 2005 express.

One of client had a working offline copy of database when it was moved to different location.

I am now at other coast office that has VPN connection to main one, the latency is about 150ms.

I can from here switch BCM to online mode and use main office database directly (quite slow but works),

but when I go back offline synchronization failed (offline database is not updated at all). I also cannot create new offline database.

The log show error during copy operation: Error Message: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion…

I turn on logging and find out that synchronization failed in DoBulkCopy operation. This problem looks similar to Paul’s post in May. Was he able to solve it? Is it possible to change timeout setting for BCM to SQL server connection?

Thank you in advance for your help.

73. caresrg says:

I am having the same problem as Chammy, though in a slightly different situation. I do have a "proper backup" of my BCM database. I did a clean install of Win7, and spent an entire day finding the solution on how to get BCM to work properly–though it turns out to be an easy one.

Now I cannot Restore my database! It tells me I’m not the owner; I’m guessing because my computer now has a different name.

I cannot use the sqlcmd -s line either of the above listed ways; I get the same error Chammy is getting. Please help! I need access to my customers!

TIA,

Carolyn

74. caresrg says:

It works now! Here is the order I had to do things in–and I tried many. Keep in mind I am only a single-user of Office Pro 2007–I’m NOT dealing with remote connections:

1. Install BCM for Outlook 2007, but do NOT run Outlook yet. (I had to uninstall and reinstall because I had.)

2. Run Windows update and install the latest service packs for SQL Server 2005 and BCM.

3. Start Outlook and run through the inital BCM dialogs.

4. Run SQL Server Surface Area Configuration, and add yourself as an Administrator for MSSMLBIZ. Exit this utility.

After completing these steps, I was able to restore my backed up BCM database under a clean Win7 installation. Hope this helps someone else!

75. jspiriti says:

We are running bcm 2010 on a full sql server 2005 (remote).  We want to know if we can increase the size of each bcm database greater than 4gb?  In addition, do you have a recommendation as to how large they should be (maximum)?

76. jspiriti says:

77. yenkay says:

We have installed BCM 2007 Database on Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) – 10.0.2531.0 for sharing with around 60 users. Sometimes the database utilizes 100% cpu for hours. On running the SQL Profiler, it shows some stored procedures and audit queries are running extensively. A select Query retrieving top 100 records is also executed frequently during the high cpu utilization. Any ideas how to limit or control the high cpu utilization of BCM Database ?

Thanks & Regards…

Yenkay

78. Sam Hampton says:

"I have Business Contact Manager 2007 Integrated with MOA in a sharing scenario on Small business server with SQL 2005. One of the shared user changed windows password and now cannot access the database.

SQL Database should be set to log on as local system account"

I am unsure what this refers to? Could you provide more information please?

79. cogville says:

I have scanned several documents into a folder on my desktop which I then linked to BCM in the History section of several Accounts. When I open BCM again to view these files, I double click on the file in the history section and it opens an error message that says "File cannot be found."  Any suggestions??

80. Daniel says:

Hi, could you help us what can I do if I upgraded from office 2007 to office 2010 (both with BCM) but it cannot find the BCM database that 2007 created (I also downloaded the BCM 2010 Database Tool). Thanks in advance, Daniel

81. mccartjt says:

Problem is how to Compact Remote SQL 2005 Express Database ?

Hi

We are running BCM2010 on clients with a shared db on SBS Server 2003 with an instance of 2005 SQL Server Express.. I've downloaded the Server management tools from here

What I have found is that I don't have the SQL Maintainance Wizard Plan options inside this application. This has been prompted by adding a 3 meg compressed file to the DB that increased the size of db by 200+megabytes.

I've frequently backed up the DB and backed up files comes now to about 80 megs but when running on the client it looks like its 650 megs in total. I am sure the DB performance can be improve by compacting its size.  I am sure I am not the first person to run into this but I can't see any solutions on the net either via Bing or Google!!

Your help is much apprecaited.

JM

nt_mcp(at)hotmail.com

82. mccartjt says:

Hi

Further to my posting above, its has struck me that we have 3/4 issues here. Firstly that the remote shared instance of SQL Express 2005 has a db that is showing 650megs. Then the three client computers are also reflecting this same size db. So will there be a mechanism (yet to be developed) for client workstations that can squeeze down the db that would then get sync'd to the master copy on our server?

I hope that the above is making sense, you help is much appreciated, as there are 1000's of hours work gone into these databases people create..

JM

nt_mcp (at) hotmail.com

83. Jerry says:

Hi Jim,

I am not sure what you are asking.  The clients make a full copy of the server db only when they go offline.  They need this full version to work correctly.   Otherwise they just use the server db for all of thier data.  The clients themselves won't have access to run any sort of compacting method unless they have admin rights to the db.

With sql, having a larger filesize isn't a bad thing.  Sql tries to think ahead about how much space the db will need and grows it's db file size based on that.  So even though the file says 650 mb, it might be using only 300 mb of it.  The extra 150 is there for temp tables/data plans ect.  You can compact the file size if you like using the tsql command DBCC ShrinkFile.   More info here:msdn.microsoft.com/…/ms189493.aspx

–Jerry [MSFT]

84. Earl Cory says:

I have a shared BCM database (2007).  The manage database options are all greyed out.  I am unable to empty the deleted items folder with an error that I do not have access.  This appears to be true for everyone.  I can backup the database from the server using the database admin tool.  But since outlook is not installed on the server, I can get to BCM tools from there.  This appears to be a database setup problem.  Can someone tell me what to do with security using SQL Server Express on the server to set the security correctly so the database can be maintained?

85. Earl Cory says:

After further study, it appears that the database has reach the 4GB limit.  I am unable to perform any compress or cleanup.  When try to create a local, offline copy, it fails with a time out error and logs a message about groupfile size limit.

Any sugestion as to how to remove the 1408 deleted records in the database so that I can do maintenance on it would be appreciated.

86. Earl Cory says:

The SQL Server Express 2008 web page says that it supports 10GB databases.  If I use it to manage a 2007 database, is the 4GB restricted lifted?

87. Roy Warren says:

I use BCM 2007. I use the quick account list daily to make my calls. Each day i have to go into and modify the "list" for just the info i need. it there a way to have this set up so i can just click on the accoutn list and it come up in the format i need?

Account name

Primary contact

Business Phone

Modified on

Business Fax

Email Address

that to view is all I need. is thart a way to have the done automatically?

thanks!

88. Ryan says:

Outlook & BCM 2007

I have multiple users using pop3 accounts and  connecting to a shared BCM database. One of the users has an issue with BCM. It installed and loaded with the toolbar and was able to view all information. A couple of days later she tries to open BCM and it errors stating

"The set of folders cannot be opened. Store not configured."

The database is online and others can connect to it. The issue is local to this computer running windows 7 home premium with Office 2007.

Not sure where to go from here. Google provided me with limited information.