ACT! to BCM Migration

This post illustrate the process of migrating ACT data to BCM.

Supported Versions

Currently BCM supports ACT 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0.

ACT 4.0, 5.0 and 6.0 have .dbf file extensions, whereas ACT 7.0 has a .pad file extension. ACT update 7.0.4.82 has some known problems due to issue in ACT API. We will be releasing update to migration tool that will fix this problem, and also add support for ACT 8.0 and ACT 9.0.

Migration Process

Migrating an ACT database is a two step process.

1. Creating .BCM file from ACT! file

2. Importing .BCM file into BCM.

These step-by-step instructions illustrate how to convert ACT data into BCM. Note that ACT application needs to be present on the machine in order to migrate because BCM uses ACT APIs to convert ACT database into .BCM file.

Creating .BCM file From ACT! Database

Step 1: The Business Data Import Export wizard is launched from File –> Import Export –> Business contact Manager for Outlook. Select “Import a File” and click Next. Select “ACT!” in the next screen.

Step 2: Click on the “Convert Data” button. This will launch “Data Conversion Tool”

Step 3: Select “ACT!” and click “Next”. In the next screen, browse ACT database file that you wish to convert.

Step 4: Select the Data to import, its sub-items and click Next. Here are the conversions equivalent:

Entity in ACT                 BCM equivalent
                Contact                                 Business Contact
                Group                                   Account
                Company                             Account
                Product                                Product in Master product list
                Call                                         Phone Log
                Meeting                               Appointment
                To-do                                    Task
                Notes                                    Business Note
                E-mail                                    Business Activity
                Attachment                        Business Activity
                Opportunity                       Opportunity product

Note: Not all fields from ACT are converted into BCM. Only important and frequently used fields are converted. Also, past activities are shown using the BCM Business Activity form.

Step 5: Select the user fields for the source type and click Next.

Note: In ACT 6 and lesser versions, all the user defined field types including drop down lists are converted as text fields in BCM. In ACT 7, ACT datetime fields are recognized and converted as date time in BCM.  All the other user defined field types including drop down lists are converted as text fields in BCM.

Step 6: Click Next after selecting the BCM file to import the data. Remember the location of this file because you will use this file to import data into BCM.

This completes the first part of migration process.

Importing .BCM File to BCM

Launch the BCM import/export wizard from File->Import/Export->Business Contact Manager . Select “Import File” and choose “Business Contact Manager file (.bcm)” in the next screen. After that you can follow the wizard instructions to import data into BCM.

1. bvlug says:

We are trying to do this conversion from 8. Any idea when the update will be released that will include Act 8?

2. Jerry Blake says:

Some folks on newsgroup have claimed that you can import ACT! 8 data with BCM but it’s not been tested by BCM product team. On update release, it might be possible that we don’t need to release any update if our testing doesn’t find any issue. If we do find issues, we are probably looking at June timeframe for any public update.

3. bvlug says:

It does not work for us… which is why I googled and found this post.

4. Danedanes says:

I have spent countless hours on this so far.

I have version 7.0.4.82 ..

You say a fix for this issue will be available in June?

Any possible workarounds?

5. Jerry Blake says:

This update of ACT! had some API changes that is causing problem when we use ACT! API. Unfortunately, we don’t know of any workaround. If we do find something in the meantime, we will surely post on the blog.

6. maglist says:

I’m planning to try this, and have reinstalled BCM on my computer only to discover that the wizard is freezing when it gets to the part asking to create a new database or open an old one!

When I exit the program manually, and reenter, Outlook freezes with a ribbon indicating that it is "finalizing" the setup of BCM. Has anyone encountered such a problem?

7. MVDAMME says:

I am using ACT 6.0.3.979 and the version of BCM is 3.00.5828.00

The first step "creating .BCM file from ACT! file" works fine.

But the first step "importing .BCM file into BCM" doesn’t work. I get the error message "Some errors occured while your data was being imported. Wrong file version" ?!

I migrated to VISTA but the problem remains.

8. Jerry Blake says:

Hi, this could be because your Windows locale setting is not En-US. The workaround is to open the .bcm file converted from ACT! file, change its header’s version from "3.0" to "3,0" (or the correct format according to the Windows locale, you can check that in control panel->regional and language options -> Stanards and formats)and try to import that .bcm file again. Thanks.

9. MVDAMME says:

Indeed you have found the problem and the workaround worked fine.

Thank you !!

10. sernovitz says:

I’m completely stuck trying to import an Act 6.0.3 db into BCM.  The database is clean and works fine in act.  As soon as I select the file in BCM, it tells me that it is the wrong version of the DB and it stops.  Both act and BCM are fully updated.

This is the only reason I paid for the product, and I sure hope you can help.

Thanks

11. Jerry Blake says:

sernovitz, one possible reason for this error message is that during upgrading ACT!, its older version dlls weren’t completely removed. And when BCM tries to call into ACT!, it’s getting older version of dlls through registry, which do not match the database’s version. You may want to check if there are two versions of ACT dlls existing on your machine.

12. bradheff says:

We would like to convert ACT 9.0 to BCM. Any idea when that update will become available?

13. Heckler says:

I have Act Premium for Workgroups 2006, (Version 8. something…sorry don’t have exact details with me)and just installed Outlook 2007 with BCM.

Trying to migrate approx 3300 contacts and 65 companies.  The BCM process starts working fine, but at approximately 2/3 of the way through the companies it stops with an error message that it couldn’t convert the data.  When I tried contacts only, the same thing would happen, about 2/3 of the way through.  The ACT! database works fine in ACT!…checked for errors (none), reindexed, etc.  How close is the update to handle Version 8?  Or, does anyone know a reliable service that can do this for us…not too expensive?  Thanks.

14. v_2rath@hotmail.com says:

Hi All

This is an old query posted earlier

Did the product team find any issue when importing data from ACT 8 ?

Regards

Rahul Thomas

15. MedMan says:

to reiterate Bradhoff’s request, what is expected timeline for ACT 9.0 to BCM conversion capability?

16. sholt says:

Hi

I too am very keen to migrate from ACT v9 to BCM.

How are you progressing the conversion tools? When can we expect you to support this? There are 3rd party firms offering this service but I would prefer Microsoft to offer it. Cheers

17. Jerry Blake says:

We are targetting to fix ACT 8 and ACT 9 issues with our first service pack. However, we don’t have yet the release date for SP1.

18. cog says:

Hi, we are trying to convert from ACT 2006 v 8 to BCM and the exporting utily crashed every time I tried o convert my pad file. Why? Any one can help? Thanks MB

19. Jerry Blake says:

Please see the previous comment. ACT 8 will be supported with our first SP.

20. cmi_sales says:

I know you can’t give a release date for the SP, but does it look like days, weeks or months until it is released?  We have to get off of Act ASAP because of ongoing Vista non-compatibility issues and we can’t wait months for the SP.

21. BWScott says:

I, like others, am stuck in Act! Land awaiting the SP to migrate to BCM….Any idea when when it may be available?  I have data in Act! 2007 that I would like to convert.  Any reccomendations or ideas?

Thank you.

22. crimsonlake says:

Has their been any update on the availablility of a migration tool for ACT 9?

23. act-to-bcm says:

And by the way, we migrate ACT! 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 to BCM 2007. Check us out at http://www.act-to-bcm.com

24. bradheff says:

Both sites are expensive. It is really too bad that users would have to spend $950 to $1,800 to get something done that should already be there. Recent reports say that the Vista service pack will not be coming out until next year now. Is there any chance that the programmers that run this blog will be able to get the conversion program done earlier so we do not have to wait another 5-7 months?

25. TJude says:

What is expected timeline for ACT 9.0 to BCM conversion capability?

We cannot use BCM until I can effect such an import.  It’s easy enough to transfer the main database by exporting into CDF or TXT, butI cannot catch deals, product lists, or company/group data this way.  Hiring a temp is cheaper and faster than a $1k service, but this import facility should exist.

How about beta?  Are you looking for beta testers for the import tool?  If so, sign me up.  I really want off of ACT!

26. Dcp206 says:

Good afternoon,

I also need this migration tool for my bosses database. I see that one can import into Excel, but then loses the ‘notes’, which is a major problem. Please help!

27. Dcp206 says:

I did already try the import listed in this blog. It does not work. We are using Act 2005 for Workgroups. It tells me my database is not valid, which is incorrect.

28. bradley2u says:

Is there any update on the time frame for being able to import from ACT! 9.0 into BCM?  I am really tired of supporting ACT and our users want to move to BCM.

29. hrphxaz says:

Waiting to convert act 9.0 to outlook w/ contact manager – any word on when microsoft will suport act 9.0

30. hrphxaz says:

bcmteam – there are private companies with conversion software that works up to 9.0 – maybe you can buy the software – test it and release it.  Many people like myself are waiting to convert – Act is dying and their interface is outdated.

31. bradley2u says:

Hello?  Hello?  Is the Microsoft team there?  Hello?  Your customers need some help!  Hello, hello?  Is everything ok there?  We want to give you our money, but you don’t seem to be able to help us…  Any update on an SP for BCM that will allow us to use your product?  Can you give us some kind of update, at least let us know you’re alright;-)  It has been almost 6 months since you responded to anything here.

32. Jerry Blake says:

Our upcoming service pack will support data migration for newer versions of ACT. We are expecting to release it by end of the the year.

33. hrphxaz says:

Is there a more specific date for the ACT migration and how will service pack be announced??

34. Jerry Blake says:

We are planning to release before Christmas. Service Pack will be offered as a mandatory update through Microsoft/Windows update. We will also announce on this blog.

-Mukesh

35. crimsonlake says:

The service pack is released. I downloaded it today. The new ACT conversion is in it.

36. hrphxaz says:

Great news on the ACT to Outlook conversion for later versions of ACT – We’re free at last!!  Good job BCM team. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

37. tbird1963 says:

I was able to export from an ACT 6.0 database to an .bcm file without any problems. It exported 90 groups and 7711 contacts.

However, when i try to import the file it only imports the groups, no contacts are imported. I opened the bmc file and there are indeed thousands of contacts in the file.

I am using Outlook 2007 on Windows XP and a SQL Express database on a server.

Any help is appreciated.

38. J Godbold says:

Has anyone managed to rectify the proplem of importing an ACT 6.0.3.979 file? There are a number of users reporting the same error message – "Some errors occured while your data was being imported. Wrong file version". Is there a foolproof fix. or is one being worked on, or am i going to have to update Act! 6 to Act! 10, and wait for that to be supported by BCM?

Many thanks

James

39. Jerry Blake says:

Hi tbird1963,

At the end of the ACT to BCM conversion and before the import process starts, do you see a path to BcmImportUtility.log file?  The main reason I can think in this scenario is that the ACT contacts are corrupt and cannot be accepted by the Migration Utility.  Please look at the log file and see if it mentions about the failed contacts.

-Sateesh

40. Jerry Blake says:

Hi James,

I just now imported the ACT 6.0.3.979 file fine.  Did you change the locale to anything other than en-US?  Can you please open your bcm file and check the locale?  Data Conversion Tool only supports en-US locale.  Wrong file version error occurs only when the locale is different than en-US.

-Sateesh

41. J Godbold says:

Sateesh

You may be onto something!I’m English with an English version of Outlook. Can I change locale, how do I do it and what is it?Can’t imagine ive changed it from whatever the default is though

Many thanks

V hopefull with this one!

JAmes

42. guiguy says:

I am trying to import an ACT! 2006/8 database using Outlook 2007 with BCM, SP1.

Very soon after I start the import, I get an error. The log indicates "Type,Message,RowKey Group, System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type ‘System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown."

I restarted the computer and made sure none of the programs in my startup group loaded, but, still got the same error. I even tried to not import groups, but still got the same error.

I went to ActDiag8 and did everything I could there. Yes, I found some errors and fixed them. So, with confidence, I went back to the import routine. However, I got the same error at the same point, (record #23).

BTW, I have less than 800 records in my ACT! database. However, I should mention that I have used the "attach email to ACT! contact" from within Outlook 2003 (without BCM) a lot. There are just over 5,000 objects in the Attachments folder. I would hate to lose those.

I’m running Windows XP SP2 on a 3 GHz Dell Pentium 4 with 2 GB RAM. I have 94+ gigabytes of free disk space on the drive that holds the ACT! database and also the BCM database. I use a separate partition for my temp directory, and that has 46+ GB free.

Any suggestions? I’m really eager to abandon ACT! and move to BCM.

43. guiguy says:

Having patiently waited for BCM SP1, I have been attempting to migrate from ACT!2006/8 for several days now. It’s getting pretty frustrating…

I keep getting an error:

"Type,Message,RowKey

Group, System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type

‘System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown."

Sometimes, depending on what settings I have made in the Wizard, the word “Group” is replaced by “Contact.”

Suspecting the ACT! Database, I’ve been all through ActDiag8 and done everything possible with that utility, but to no avail.

I’ve restarted the computer and made sure none of the programs in my startup group loaded, but, still got the same error. I even tried to not import

groups, but still get the same error.

Googling, I found a “paper” at http://www.pinpointtools.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=23  and discovered  that Outlook BCM only imports 40 fields. So I assiduously went in and deleted my custom fields and got things down to under 40 fields. But I still got the same error.

I tried the newsgroups, but no luck there either. The best suggestion I got was to try you folks at the BCM blog, so here I am.

Some facts for your edification…

• I have less than 800 records in my ACT! database. (However, I should

mention that I have used the "attach email to ACT! contact" from within Outlook 2003 (without BCM) a lot. There are just over 5,000 objects in the Attachments folder. I would hate to lose those.)

• I’m running Windows XP SP2 on a 3 GHz Dell Pentium 4 with 2 GB RAM.

• I have 94+ gigabytes of free disk space on the drive that holds the ACT! database and also the BCM database. I use a separate partition for my temp directory, and that has 46+ GB free.

Do you have any suggestions? I REALLY want to get away from ACT! And go to the completely integrated Microsoft solutions, but, at this rate, I’m starting to feel that it’s not going to happen.

Thanks…

44. Jerry Blake says:

Hi guiguy,

Here is a workaround:

1. Back up your ACT database
    2. Delete the record #23 from the ACT database.  Try importing it

If doing step 2 does not help, try deleting the corrupt records the Migration Utlity mentions.  If you had to do that with a lot of records, and not satisfied, then please send us an e-mail with the problem to BCMISVX___at___microsoft.com, and I will respond it to asap with further instructions.

Please note that there are no underscores in the above e-mail address.

Please dont forget to backup the ACT database before you do the above steps.

-Sateesh

45. Jerry Blake says:

Hi James,

Can you please send an e-mail to BCMISVX___at___microsoft.com

Please note that there are no underscores in the above e-mail address.

I will respond to you with further instructions.

-Sateesh

46. hrphxaz says:

have converted from act9.0 all contact records look good.  However, none of my calendar entries came accross – except re-occuring calender events.  No tasks, calls, appointments etc.  Was the calendar considered the Migration Tool – If not is there a work around???

47. Jerry Blake says:

Hi hrphxaz,

Did you select the history items for the business contact while doing the conversion from ACT to BCM?

Where are the calendar items in ACT?  Are they in Activities tab or the History tab?

-Sateesh

48. hrphxaz says:

Sateesh,

The calendar items are on the activities tab

I just went back to the import screens to verify history items and did not see that option.  I cliked on all the options possible for the conversion including the option for the history in my prior conversion.  I noticed that this time I had an option for act 9.0 .pad files that was not there yesterday.  Prior to yesterday the only option for .pad files was  Act 7.0 this is new – I am re-conveting now to try that option.  I just re-converted everything went smoothly without the error message I received prior to the 9.0 .pad option – but the activities still are not being converted.  Please note that the only activities that are being converted are re-occuring activities – like a meeting that happens every two weeks at the same time and day – or a birthday that occurs every year on the same day – these are being converted – however phone calls – to do’s – and single meetings are not being converted.

49. Jerry Blake says:

Hi hrphxaz,

Can you please send an e-mail about the problem to BCMISVX___at___microsoft.com

Please note that there are no underscores in the above e-mail address.

I will respond to you with further instructions.

-Sateesh

50. hrphxaz says:

Sateesh,

I sent the same comments to bcmisvx@microsoft.com

hrphxaz

51. TobeyY says:

I have Act! 6 on an XP machine. My new Vista 64 computer has BCM 2007 but will not allow me to install Act!. Do you have any ideas on how to migrate to BCM on the new computer?

Thanks,

Tobey

52. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Tobey,

Can you try this.  On the Vista 64 machine, copy the ImportUtility folder from C:Program FilesMicrosoft Small BusinessBusiness Contact Manager

and paste it into the XP machine.

Run BcmImportUtility.exe on the XP machine, and convert ACT data into a bcm file.  Bring this bcm file into the Vista64 machine and see if it converts all your ACT data.

This is a special case.  So, just try and see if it works, and let me know.

If the above does not work, then install BCM 2007 trial version on the XP machine, convert the ACT data into bcm, bring it onto the Vista 64 machine.

-Sateesh

53. rx7kevin says:

I am also attempting to migrate an ACT! 2005 v7.0.4.82 and get this error when attempting to convert the database (.pad).

>ACT! responded in an unexpected manner. Verify that the ACT! database and application are working together. If the problem persists, you will need to fix the ACT! database or software before data cna be retrieved.<<

ACT! works fine and I have updated Office 2007 to SP1 and BCM 2007 to SP1.

Thanks for any help.

54. Jerry Blake says:

Hi rx7kevin,

I think the database is corrupt.  If the database opens fine in ACT 7, then try importing the ACT7demo.pad which comes with ACT.  See if you are running into issues with it.  If you are not getting any error with the demo database, then, definitely the database you are using is corrupt.

-Sateesh

55. rx7kevin says:

Hi Sateesh and Team,

I have attempted the conversion on a new install of ACT 2005 to office 2007 SP1 and get the error on all machines and databases. Please see my ACT version in above post.

-rx7kevin

56. michaelvs says:

I have painstakingly, but successfully deployed BCM on our office windows 2003 server and setup active directory users to share the BCM SQL Database from within the domain and also from VPN outside the domain.

I have trimmed down my Act! 9 for workgroups database to contain a mere 315 contacts within 13 groups. I have then used the import wizard in BCM and I have imported these contacts successfully.

My problem now is that these contacts are all "Created By" my domain user and now all the calendar reminders are showing up in my to-do bar instead of the sales rep who previously managed the record in Act!

How do I assign contacts in BCM to an account – as this didn’t transfer across from Act! Also how do I then only have tasks and reminders within certain accounts only display for specific domain users?

This has to be done, as we have multiple reps and they only need to be reminded of their own clients, however they need to be able to see everyones workflow progress so the database needs to be central.

57. Jerry Blake says:

Hi rx7kevin,

Did the ACT7demo.pad import into BCM work fine?

-Sateesh

58. boabola says:

Converting ACT 6.0.

In the "data to convert" I am only given the choices:

Contact, Group, Product. I would like to convert "Company"(ACT) to Account"(BCM), but it’s not listed.

Is this not a option with Version 6?

Thanks,

Jack

59. Jerry Blake says:

Hi boabola,

Company in ACT started from ACT 7.  It is not there in ACT 6.

-Sateesh

60. pyramid says:

Like Boabola, I converted my 6000 contacts from ACT 6.0 to BCM 2007.  I also noticed that the "company" from ACT didn’t go into "Account" for BCM.  I’ve ignored this for months and have continued working with all my contacts in BCM contacts and nothing in the Accounts.  Is there some way to create accounts within BCM that will take all the contacts with the same "company" field and create an "account" using the company name?

Am I losing BCM functionality not having my contacts linked to accounts named for the companies where these contacts work?

61. sosarm says:

I’m trying to import my ACT 2005 DB into BCM (like rx7kevin), and I’m getting the same error as him:

>ACT! responded in an unexpected manner. Verify that the ACT! database and application are working together. If the problem persists, you will need to fix the ACT! database or software before data can be retrieved.<<

I also tried the demo database and got the same error.

62. Chuck Ackland says:

I read the post from bcmteam 5/2/2007:

How do I check for 2 versions of ACT.dlls on my machine?

Thanks, I’m not a very technical guy!

63. Chuck Ackland says:

RE rxKevin’s 1/30 posting – I’m getting the same error message.  But I have tried converting many different ACT! files and doubt that they are all corrupt.

Could I be getting that message becasue I may have two versions of ACTdlls on my box?

64. malaki says:

I have the same problem as Chuck and rxKevin vis;

I’m trying to import my ACT 2005 DB into BCM and I’m getting the same error as them and like them my ACT7Demo import attempt gets the same response:

I already ran ACCTDIAg and fixed and cleaned and also reindexed etc

65. Chuck Ackland says:

I gave up and upgraded to ACT 2007/9.0.  The upgrade went in clean, and my files converted to 9.0 just fine.

Now, I CAN convert contacts into BCM just fine.  The problem now is that Accounts are not created.  I have 1,700 contacts and about 500 accounts, so it’s useless to have the contacts without being to put them together by Account.

P.S.:  Is the BCM Team on VACATION?  I’ve spent another $182 on ACT to try to fix this, and would appreciate some help with my new problem so I can dispense with ACT altogether…

66. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Chuck,

There can be two reasons for the problem you are facing.First, while importing data from Act , you might not be checking the Group and Company options in the Data to import section.You have to check these two options along with contact while migrating from Act to get the account information in BCM. Also make sure that the destination is selected as Account when these options are checked.

The other reason why Accounts are not created might be because the Contacts might not be linked to Account in Act database itself. You can verify this by going to contact list in Act and observe the data  under the company. Companies that are linked to Contacts will be shown in blue and others are shown in black. If that is the case , the company name will be just imported into BCM as company name in Business Contact form and not as an Account.

67. escorpionfire says:

I was able to import contacts from ACT 7.0.4.82 into BCM.

Before I had this error:

The solution is running a Tool in the ACT machine called Act7Diag.exe located in: "C:Program FilesACTACT for Win 7Act7Diag.exe" for a XP Machine.

With this tool ACT7DIAG you are able to select your ACT Database and rebuild the schema, security, OLE/DB Report Objects, Sync Objects.

Once this process is completed, try again.

I Hope this information can help to all of them that have the same problem…

Thanks.

68. malaki says:

Thanks escorpionfire but I did already try that and just to be sure since you say it worked for you I ran the ACT7DIAG again but I still get the same responses. I also ran ACT7DIAG on ACTDEMO database and tried again to import that but same.

My ACT was bought in Australia. Would that make a difference?

Maybe someone at Microsoft would care to answer. Even if the answer is we just don’t know

69. malaki says:

Last post was June 9 and nothing from BCM Team yet?

70. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Malaki

we are looking in to it. we’ll reply back in a day or two. Sorry for the delay.

Thanks

Vinit[MSFT]

71. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Malaki,

First of all we apologize you for the delay in reply and really appreciate your patience in this matter. Can you please tell us when is this error happening. Does it shows up when you start the migration or it proceeds for a while and then throws this error? If it throws the error after processing some records , note the record for which error occured , backup your database ,delete that record and re-run the migration.

Thanks,

bcmteam

72. malaki says:

It does not even start. I open the import and click on "convert data". Then I select ACT! 2005/7.0 (.pad), select the file to convert from the databases folder in ACT. Then I click next and get the error message as follows

73. Jerry Blake says:

Hi Malaki,

I think there is some problem with the Act installation. Can you please reinstall Act after backing up the data and then try the migration process.

Bcmteam

74. malaki says:

so you want me to back up, uninstall ACT and then reinstall? Or do I just reinstall over the old one?

I belive my installation cd will take me back to the basic 7.0 and then I generally have to upgrade to 7.04.82 separately. Should I do the upgrade or only install the basic program from the cd

75. brownc27 says:

I was having the same error message as malaki when trying to convert from ACT 2005 to BCM 2007.  After a LOT of trial and error I was able to get it resolved.  I’m not an expert, but here’s what I found:

1.  The error message is a result of having the ACT database set up for syncing with a PDA/smartphone (I use a Palm Treo 755p).  Don’t ask me why – I can’t tell you.
    2.  The ACT 2005 Outlook Activities Update Activities function is not available with Outlook 2007 installed.  You cannot transfer your ACT calendar directly into Outlook 2007.

3.  I was able to successfully transfer my ACT database to BCM, but it did not transfer the notes that I put under each "History" item.  The item itself shows up in BCM, but not my comments.  I am having to go back in, record by record, and copy and paste the notes from the ACT record to the BCM record.

4.  Here’s what you need to do to make it work:

a. Make sure your ACT database is backed up.  If ACT contains EVERYTHING that you want transferred into BCM, go ahead and delete everything in the Outlook 2007 calendar and BCM contacts.  Otherwise, you may end up with duplicates later.

b. Remove Outlook 2007, BCM, ACT and, if installed, ACT Link (for your Palm device) from your system.

c. Reinstall the old version of Outlook (I had Office 2002/XP).

d. Reinstall ACT only and run the Outlook Activities Update Activities function under the Tools menu.  This transfers your ACT calendar to your Outlook profile.

e. Remove the old version of Outlook (your profile should remain in place).

f. Reinstall Outlook 2007 and BCM.  Your calendar and old Outlook Contacts will be restored.

g. Use Microsoft Update to make sure you have ALL of the patches for Office 2007/BCM.

h. Create a new database in ACT.  Export your existing database (that’s set up for syncing) into the new one (that’s NOT set up for syncing).  Under the Tools menu, run the Manage Database Check & Repair function on the new database to make sure the records are in good shape.  I would recommend that you hold on to your ACT backup (zip) file for a while until you’re sure that you’re out of the woods.  In fact, you may want to back up the new ACT database as well.  Close ACT.

i. Now you can run the BCM Import Wizard to convert the new ACT database into BCM format and import it into BCM.

j. If you need your history notes, see #3 above.

k. If you want to continue syncing with a Palm device, you need to purchase the latest version of Pocket Mirror Professional for about $50.  BCM will not directly sync with Palm OS.  Only your Outlook contacts and calendar will sync with the Palm-provided conduit.

Hope this helps someone.  It took me days to figure it out.

76. malaki says:

I have uninstalled ACT! and then reinstalled as per BCM Team suggestions. Still no joy. My ACT database was not set up for syncing so I did not try the suggestion from brownc27 yet. Do you think I should?

The error message is still as follows;

77. Joe Cathey says:

I have ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) Version 9.0.1.162.  I have done the conversion and import but cannot locate the Notes from ACT in the BCM database.

78. AES says:

I’m another user trying to import Act 6.0.3 into BCM I also get the error that the version does not match.  You indicated the it was possibly multiple dlls running how does one correct this problem?  I have tried creating a new database from Act and that will not import into BCM either. At this point the money spent for MS BCM was wasted.

79. cwsutcliffe says:

I just did a migration for a client from ACT to BCM; it went flawlessly – except for the notes. Cannot find them in BCM.

I opened the SQL BCM database, and I see then notes *did* migrate into the Activity table… But I cannot figure out how to access them from Outlook 2007.

Client called today to say they deleted the BCM I just installed and went back to ACT.

I do not think they will pay for the time I spent doing the install and migration, so please respond with a way to access the notes section in BCM.  Thank you.

80. bcmteam says:

Hi cwsutcliffe,

Notes should get migrated as Business Notes in BCM. You can view the Business Notes either in Communication History or History Tab of each associated Business Contact or Account.

Hope this helps.

-Vinit [MSFT]

81. Mariofb says:

Is it possible to import Act! 10 data to BCM 2007 ?

If not, when do you anticipate this to be available ?

Is there a beta version of the converter from Act!10 that can be tried out ?

82. Eddie P says:

Migrating from Act 6! to BCM 2010 – field for Email create date is not imported to BCM – error could not import because field "created" is unknown.  This means that all the history emails imported are tagged with current date and not the actual date of the email.  Any help please

Eddie