SQL Server Service Pack 2 Release

SQL Server team released sevice pack 2 for all flavors of SQL Express. If you installed Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007, you are running SQL Express SP1. BCM team has done extensive testing of SP2 to ensure it doesn’t cause any problem with BCM functionality. Feel free to install SQL Express SP2 if you are running Business Contact Manager. You can download it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=d07219b2-1e23-49c8-8f0c-63fa18f26d3a&DisplayLang=en.

1. eddy.minet_fr says:

BCM client cannot synchronize offline database since I’ve installed SQL 2005 SP2 on the shared server. I’ve just tried to install SP2 on client machine but it doesn’t work better.

2. eddy.minet_fr says:

Sorry I was wrong.

I’ve re-installed SP1 on each server/client and it does not work ("Impossible to synchronise")

3. Jerry Blake says:

Did you complete the steps outlined in the whitepaper?

Was client/server synch working before you installed SQL SP2?  Double-check your firewall settings and make sure that you go to “Start | Microsoft SQL Server 2005 | Configuration Tools | SQL Server Configuration Manager | Protocols for MSSMLBIZ | TCP/IP | Properties | IP Addresses | IP All | TCP Port” and enter 5356.

4. Jerry Blake says:

Eddy, Can you drop the Offline database client and recreate it. You can do this by going to Offline->Drop Database.

5. GaryMerkel says:

I am not sure whether this blog covers BCM application programming support issues since I don’t see a direct hit on the Tags, but I will ask anyway.

I have my business contacts linked to accounts, and I am traversing my business contacts, and would like to be able to retrieve the corresponding accounts based on the "Parent Entity EntryID" field, which was used to link the business contact to its parent account in the first place.  I don’t know how to retrieve an account based on the "Parent Entity EntryID" field.  When I try to "Find" an account based on "EntryID", I am getting a "Condition is not valid" error message.

So, if strParentEntity is the business contact "Parent Entity EntryID" field, the following fails:

strFind = "[EntryID] = ‘" & strParentEntity & "’"

Set objAcct = objAccounts.Items.Find(strFind)

Does anyone know how to obtain a reference to an account object using the business contact’s "Parent Entity EntryID" field?

6. Jerry Blake says:

Outlook OM has a method called "GetItemFromID". You might want to use that. Code will look something like this.

Set objAcct=namespace.GetItemFromID(<EntryID>)

7. verycheeky says:

Wasting precious hours trying to figure out how to install BUSINESS CONTACT MANAGER with OUTLOOK 2007 on a SINGLE COMPUTER  and getting it to WORK CORRECTLY.

OK GUYS…

The link you are posting above goes to

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2

That is NOT for SQL SERVER EXPRESS Which BCM with OUTLOOK installs… there is a link half way down the page that links to MS SQL EXPRESS SERVICE PACK 2 that i THINK patches SQL Express that BCM installed and uses.. No mention of it ANYWHERE.. thanks!!

here is what it says halfway down the page..

Note: To upgrade SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, obtain the SP2 version of Express Edition or Express Edition with Advanced Services.

why does the update have to be so difficult? Why does MS force you to read white papers and such? I can understand corporate environment’s but i am just a small guy who paid money and is just trying to make this work..

Why cant it be like other software products that  as you install, it informs you.. Hey I can see you have SQL SERVER MSSMLBIZ installed, is your computer on a network? would you like me to just patch this? Would you like me to add another instance of a server? shall I add SQLEXPRESS?

Now I have 2 SERVERS ON MY WORKSTATION ( which is NOT on a network )

Now I have to uninstall… reinstall.. Waste MORE TIME, or maybe this is what its supposed to do.. I have NO FREAKIN IDEA, I disabled SQLEXPRESS but now SQLSVR.EXE is using like 570K Peak 800K Memory Usage……

and I suppose you want me to download a white paper and then as MANY times before, after spending ANOTHER 10 minutes of reading find out it has NOTHING to do with my issue or contains any answers just more leads to a DEAD END..

I will not be surprised if Windows Desktop Search 3.1 will STOP seeing BCM Again.. Lets not talk about how many hours I wasted on that!!!!

I still love Microsoft, but I dont have time for this and I am sure there are MANY others in the same spot as I am.

Well, Its getting LATE!!!

8. verycheeky says:

UPDATE!!! GOT IT WORKING!! Outlook 2007 and BCM SQL Express

Not sure if this is correct but it worked for me.

For those who have a machine that is just a workstation and NOT in a corporate environment.

[1] Run Uninstall Tool! http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/uninstall/

[2] REBOOT

[3]  Manually Remove in Add and Remove Software  – SQL Server VSS Writer AND SQL Native Server Client

[3] REBOOT

[4] Install SQL Express SP2 ( SQLEXPR32.EXE ) http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=65212

[5] When you get to Registration Information.. Below Name And Company UNTICK hide Advanced configuration options

[6] Named Instance = MSSMLBIZ

[7] Tick Customize Each Service – Set both to = Local System

[8] Not really sure on the rest..

[9] REBOOT

[10] screw up your face and close one eye and hold your breath and start outlook..

> Outlook found it! Outlook Found it! HAHHAAH and so did WDS! hee haa!! oh happy days!

and Application/System items are ALL blue in Event Viewer!

[11] save this moment. Run System Restore,  Say PRAISE THE LORD and get back to work…

Hope this helps someone out there!!! It would have helped me, and maybe someone out there will have more Daddy Time with thier children as I should have done regardless.. also ran Tuneup Utilities 2007 after step 3

P.S. wouldnt it be nice if there was something like myPHPAdmin for sql out there? this command line stuff is for mcse’s.

9. Jim Lewis says:

I have the same problem.  The update worked O.K. on a Vista computer but on a home computer running Win7 beta, the SQL service went south.  Went to Services and tried to manually start the server.  No go.  Tried to overinstall SQL Express SP2.  Told product already installed.  Tried to uninstall just SQL Express and leave BCM but in spite of the apparent choice in the Uninstall Programs option, BCM uninstalled.  Thought, no problem, I will just reinstall my original BCM and update.  When I try that, the reinstall bombs out.  I trust I am looking at the right log but says something to the effect that no files can be found elgible for the patches.  Perhaps the fact that the rest of my Outlook/Office 2007 setup is already updated/upgraded is screwing my reinstall of the original BCM.

My work installation of BCM is an official copy provided by the university.  My home copy of BCM on the Win7 computer was added to Office 2007 Professional (also bought from the university) by installing BCM from a free trial of Office 2007.  I was wondering if that could be the source of my problem, that the loophole to add BCM to a legally owned copy of Outlook 2007 has been closed?

Thanks for suggestions on how to fix up my Win7 copy of Outlook 2007 with BCM.

10. Jim Lewis says:

verycheeky’s post provided a little bit of a starting point.  Skipped the UNINSTALL (link changed anyway?).  In Add/Remove programs, uninstalled SQL Server VSS Writer AND SQL Native Server Client.  Rebooted.  That did not allow reinstall of my original BCM source.

Add/Remove Programs.  Ran uninstall for SQL Server 2005.  Picked removal of MSSMLBIZ, left SQL Server Express 2005 intact.  Left Core Components.

Add/Remove Programs.  Uninstalled Business Contacts for Pocket PC (or whatever it’s called).

Reinstalled BCM from 2nd file of latest Outlook 2007 trial download.

Ran Windows Update. Offered 2 updates.  SQL Express SP3 (2/27/09) and BCM SP2 (4/28/09).  Install both (wait, wait…).

Ran Outlook 2007. Registered BCM when window comes up.  BCM detects databases, picked express install to connect to an existing database.  Reshared local copy to users on other computers (on Win7 machine).  Readjusted trust security settings in Norton Internet Security 2009 to make sure host and client (Vista computer) can access each other in protected network mode.  Compact and defragment shared copy on client computer first.  Go online.  Host copy is updated with client changes.  Go offline with client.  Compact and defragment host copy.  Host BCM announces database is corrupt.  Figured I never rebooted during most of above install.  Exit OL and reboot.  Perform 2 successive compaction/defragment with no problem.  Backup database.

I have found the compaction/defragmentation ritual essential to make sure the client copy in Vista is not corrupt and does not corrupt the host copy and to assure the host copy is not corrupt before I back it up.

BCM is such a house-of-cards I don’t see how the ordinary user can possibly live with it.  I am hoping there are future versions and they are more robust.  I would like more integration with Outlook Tasks so that they could be part of a project but all the things you can do with Outlook Tasks, like synchronize to your handheld, etc. are possible.

11. Dianna says:

Running BCM on Win7 and apparently have BCM sp2 upadate.  All of a sudden the due date field is no longer grouping or sorting.  It is showing "none" for the due date field on the "Business Projects in BCM-[by due date]" current view.  The due dates are showing up correctly in individual "Business Project" paine.  They will list properly on other current views such as  "Business Projects in BCM-[by assigned to]" but will not GROUP properly by due date because it recognizes it as "none".  Same issue with start date field.  HELP!

12. Dianna says: