1. I have decided to start a multi-part blog/screencast series on developing an Azure application from the

2. Thank you for submitting this cool story – Trackback from DotNetShoutout

3. kazimanzurrashid says:

Would you please provide a more realistic example, make the column headers sortable, add a pager, and put a search box. Yes I know sorting is not at all supported and so is the LIKE and it is not possible to get only the page 5 out of 10.

So the point is without these supports, is it at all possible to develop some kind of data driven app? If not, then what is value of showing this kind of post?

4. rob.bagby says:

Kazimanzurrashid,

I am on part II on a 10+ part series.  I am building this application piece-by-piece.  If you saw the screencast for part I, you will note that the application had paging (it also was not an ASP.NET UI).  I am purposefully adding parts in digestable chuncks so as to keep them from being too long.  I plan on illustrating the paging capabilities in part IV.  I further plan on illustrating some potential architectures for Table Storage in future posts.

Table storage does have some limitations (there is always a give and take in software).  What you get is awesome scalability, what you lose are some features.  Table storage meets the needs of certain apps and not others.  In that light, I plan on implementing this application using SDS as well when the CTP releases, which will limit the constraints (but will also affect the scalability).  This should speak to applications with those needs.  I cannot, however do that until it is in CTP.

5. kazimanzurrashid says:

Yes this is the whole point. With the "current" features of Azure Table Storage it is not at all possible to develop the kind of application that I mentioned in the above.

6. rob.bagby says:

Kazimanzurrashid,

I believe it is beneficial to preview and illustrate the use of CTP software.  By its nature, it may not be fully featured.  For example, flexible sorting, as you point out, is not possible.  However, it will be available in the future (future support for secondary indexes were outlined at PDC.  The fact that it is not currently available isn’t enough to make me wait to preview ATS.  We have found that a great way we can get feedback on features that are required is to have people bang around on the CTPs, even if we have not implemented everything.  In fact, part of the nature of a CTP is that it is not fully featured, as we are changing given feedback.

It is the purpose of this series to help lower the amount of time required for people to get up to speed, so they can play with the CTP.  I am planning to illustrate a host of features (hosting Silverlight, hosting services, table storeage, SDS, .net service bus, etc.) to get people up to speed.  I do plan on implementing additional features of table storage, such as paging with continuation tokens.  Further, I may explore some patterns for implementing search using flexible storage.

As I go along the way, I will try to be transparent on what this type of model will not do, what our current releases will not do but may in the future, as well as the benefits of models such like scalable storage.

7. Preface: If you are visiting this blog post because a search engine matched your error message with the

8. Maytrics says:

Very useful post.

Would you able to provide a quick example of a query that involves properties other than PartitionKey and RowKey? I do undrestand that these queries would be less efficient in the absence of appropriate indexes. But I would like to know what they would look like.

Thanks.

9. tejas.joshi says:

Hi,

I have developed a web role cloud application in which i fetch some data from sql and display it on a gridview on my aspx page. Now i want to host this application on azure. I have created a hosted service as well as storage service. I have changed my .cfcng and .csdef file and have added a connection string in web.config. But I havent added any other class or anything except my aspx page. The site gets deployed and produced but while I open it, I encounter an error.

Please tell what am I supposed to do?