REST in WCF – Part III (AJAX Friendly Services, Consuming The Service)

The post on consuming AJAX Friendly WCF Services was moved to my new blog at www.robbagby.com.

image

1. Anonymous says:

As some of you know, I am in the midst of a blog series on REST in WCF. Further, I have been hard at

2. Anonymous says:

In Part V of this blog series I completed the service operation exposed via HTTP GET in a HI-REST manner.

3. Anonymous says:

Rob Bagby is in the midst of a blog series on REST in WCF and been building a series of screencasts on

4. Anonymous says:

5. Anonymous says:

6. Ashley Frank says:

"send it back to the client asynchronously"…

I don’t really understand this statement and it is something I hear a lot when people talk about AJAX. As far as I know request and response via http is a synchronous operation and a web server can never send a response that is not initiated by a client request.

A proxy object on the client that initiates a request can route the responses appropriately, but that’s as far as my imagination can take me.

7. Garry Trinder says:

Hi Ashley,

The XmlHttpRequest implemented in all of the major browsers has the ability to make a call over HTTP asynchronously.  Asynchronous is the "A" in AJAX.  The confusing part may be the use of the XmlHttpRequest object.

Rob

8. Ashley Frank says:

The browser may have changed but the web server and http never did. The XmlHttpRequest object may be able to be called asynchronously by your script but it still uses http synchronously. The XmlHttpRequest object is still waiting on the response from the web server to the request it issued on behalf of your script and your UI is continuing on with its own business.

9. Anonymous says:

A common scenario you may encounter when designing your RESTful services is supporting clients that only

10. Anonymous says:

The series blog post on REST in WCF REST in WCF – Part I (REST Overview) REST in WCF – Part II (AJAX

11. mabra says:

Hello !

Is there any chance to download the source [better a vs-solution] ?? It would allow me to start better. Sounds very, very interesting!

Thanks for the article.