Readying Metro style apps for launch

We know many folks are looking forward to RTM. Developers currently working on apps in the Store are especially excited. We have hundreds of apps in the Windows Store now and many more on the way. There’s a broad set of developers around the world that we have been working closely with since the first Developer Preview. The WinRT platform is evolving rapidly during development based on feedback, and we have the dual task of keeping the Store up and running so we can supply apps to the millions of Preview users, while also getting ready for the next build. It means that if we change or add APIs or improve the tools, the apps will change and require an updated OS to test and verify the app. That’s why we have been providing updated builds to developers who have or are committed to having apps in the Store through strong partnerships.

This post explains the work we’ve been doing since September to keep developers updated with APIs and tools so that apps can stay up to date. We’re doing this even after the Release Preview, just to make sure new apps are ready to go once we get to broad availability. This post was authored by Dennis Flanagan, who leads our ecosystem outreach team.  –Steven

As we approach the release of Windows 8, the catalog of Metro style apps continues to grow. To date, people have experienced apps that Microsoft has included with the downloaded build, and those that are offered in the Store in both the Consumer Preview and Release Preview timeframe. Many of those apps are great examples of immersive, touch-first Metro style experiences. However, like the Windows releases they run on, these apps are preview versions of the apps to come. The final versions of all Metro style apps will be available when Windows 8 becomes generally available.

Last year, we began working closely with the developer community by releasing early versions of the Windows 8 platform and tools. We decided to engage developers earlier in the engineering process so we could help them build skills in Metro style app development and give them the opportunity to influence the platform through feedback. Since September of 2011 we have released 8 developer preview versions. Some of these versions have been available to a limited developer audience. Some have been distributed broadly. All of these releases had similar goals:

• Deliver new capabilities and APIs
  • Update tools to simplify Metro style app development
  • Enhance performance and reliability
  • Respond to developer feedback

We released our first Developer Preview version at the //build conference in Anaheim. This version introduced developers to the Windows 8 platform, tools and programming models. The WinRT platform included new APIs, and we used the conference to present literally hundreds of technical sessions and samples to give developers a basic understanding of the platform. . Many developers got right to work building Metro style apps, produced some impressive early results, and provided us with useful feedback and recommendations about how to improve the platform and tools.

We made it clear that the first Developer Preview (“DP1”) was an early version of the code, and we had a lot of work to complete Windows 8. DP4 and DP5, released in January and February of this year, were targeted at developers who wanted to be the first to publish applications in the Windows Store. By the time we released the Consumer Preview in February of 2012, we had added almost a thousand new WinRT APIs, and had modified hundreds of other APIs based on developer feedback.

For a detailed description of the changes that happened between //build and Consumer Preview, check out these posts on our App Developer blog:

In April and May of this year, we released DP6 and DP7, which allowed developers to prepare their apps for the Release Preview. However, in close collaboration with the development community, we’ve continued to evolve the platform in response to their feedback. By the time we delivered the Release Preview, we had added 334 more APIs and continued to change existing APIs to address feedback.

One example of a change we made in Release Preview (RP) based on developer feedback is the HTML ListView control (in WinJS). This was an area where lots of developers had difficulties, so we overhauled it to make it easier to work with and to allow a much more extensive degree of performance tuning.

We also made lots of improvements to developer resources, such as templates in Visual Studio. We even added a new template that makes it easier for developers to start a new project and get a great app up and running in very little time.

Design tools were another focus area for improvements. Metro is a design-forward experience, which means the app’s user interface is one of the key ways developers get their apps noticed and differentiate them. We did a lot of work to make it as easy as possible for developers to integrate all the new Metro style design concepts into their apps.

For a complete overview of the changes between CP and RP, see What’s changed for app developers since the Consumer Preview.

Our next major milestone is the release to manufacturing (RTM). When the code reaches this milestone, the platform is complete for general availability (GA), and so we won’t have interim updates for developers.

When Developers get the RTM version, they will continue enhancing the features, capabilities and performance of their apps. Some of the apps you’ve already seen will look and perform differently when you download the final released version. There are also many more apps in development that haven’t been released to the Store yet. Many of those developers are waiting for RTM to put the finishing touches on their apps.

The release of Windows 8 will be a great milestone for app developers, but it is really just the beginning. A great benefit of the built-in Windows Store and update mechanism is that they provide developers with the opportunity to gain wide distribution for new apps and continuously improve apps that they’ve already released. As the app developer community evolves, we expect app developers to take advantage of this and provide regular updates to apps.

–Dennis

1. Zubair Ahmed says:

Hi,

I am the developer of the open source metrorssreader.codeplex.com which has 1800+ downloads and I want to publish my app to the store (I got the token from Microsoft PFE), could you please get in touch with me with the platform updates on inbox [at] zubairahmed [dot] net

Thanks,

-Zubair

2. Arnold says:

One thing I wish you change before RTM is the visual of the Windows Store App itself. It doesn't use all the space available in high-resolution monitors. In my 22" 1600×1050 monitor for example, the Store App only displays the Apps in the top, leaving almost half of the bottom of the screen empty. I think the apps lists in the Store initial page should make use of the full space available on high-resolution monitors.

Another important features would be:

1 – An option to auto-update applications without the need to enter the Store App;

2 – An option to list all the Apps ordered alphabetically, with detailed columns, like a datagrid, with category, maker, name, size, etc;

And one doubt I have is this: Is there any way to display applications available in the US region instead of the applications available only to my region. My windows account is located in a different country, but there are very few apps available to me in the marketplace.

3. Nazgul says:

Will you change Metro app ergonomy for the desktop? Actually I think right clic to show toolbars isn't a good solution

4. Jhabril Harris says:

Microsoft here me out. I like Surface (the tablet, not PixelSense [well that's good too] ), and there are a few things that are missing from that too. What I am here to talk about, though, is that Apple has gained major sales due to its marketing of special features such as Siri (just look at the difference between iPhone 4 and 4S sales, the major upgrade factor was basically just software oriented). Now, they are bringing that Siri experience to the iPad. What Windows 8 needs is a voice assistant too. I know Windows already has built in speech software such as Windows Speech Recognition and Narrator, but it just isn't enough and integrated and deep into the OS as Siri is to iOS+Dictation for both Mountain Lion and iOS. Since Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 are both going to share the same core, then perhaps Audible could also be featured in Windows 8 as well. It would make the Windows 8 experience SOOO much better!. Also, it needs a notification center.

Also, the Surface needs TouchCover with a back-lit keyboard and also needs a magnetic piece at the tip of the tablet and Cover to keep it in place, that's something I've seen people complain about the iPad's SmartCover.

5. Hopeful says:

I really want Windows 8 to succeed, if only because my income depends on the success of Microsoft.  But I must honestly say that I have not yet seen a single Metro app that I would rather use instead of Outlook, desktop IE, Skype and my other desktop apps I use daily.  Please please have some killer Metro apps ready to go by RTM to showcase what is possible and why Metro is supposed to be good.  I am pro-Microsoft, and yet even I mostly try to avoid going over to Metro space when possible on my PC, and on my touch device (Dell Inspiron Duo) I only use Metro IE, then go back to my real PC when I need to do anything useful.  I wish you the best of luck, Microsoft, for both of our sakes….

6. Interesting to see behind the scenes the efforts made to include the development community into the creation of a huge product like Windows 8. I'm glad to hear that the included apps are in Preview states.. The Music and Video apps in the RP are, there's no nice way of putting it, incredibly bad: in terms of layout, design, concept… What happened to Metro's "User content is king" philosophy? Why are my files pushed to the side to make way for Microsoft's content store? The Zune software did it gracefully, with the user's content shown at the forefront, and a link to the marketplace available.

I have also yet to see an app, either from Microsoft or a third party, that adequately illustrates power and complexity in the same league as what has been available on the desktop. Is this something that is limited by the current tools or platform? Or will we be seeing such examples with RTM?

7. OK, I'll bite.  The W8 Pro upgrade deal grabbed me.  I like the improvements in W8 desktop, can't stand the juvenile big rectangle/giant pictures/minimal text format found on many of the Metro apps that I've tried and only use Windows for a few quick tasks every couple of days.  Besides I like fooling around with computers so it will be interesting to watch as mods develop to disable Metro and restore the desktop start button for adults.  Finally Microsoft's OS efforts before SP1 are often entertaining to say the least so for forty bucks I'll jump on the merry-go-round.

8. temp says:

Hi,

Can you make a post about the new "storage optimizer", how it works, config with ssd …

thank

9. John Smith says:

Hello windows 8 makers.

Please make an upgrade advisor like the windows 7 upgrade advisor.

10. BJWall says:

I don't understand the turmoil over the new Start Screen, it's just a full screen start menu.

11. @BJWall:

It is a poorly designed full screen start list, I say list as opposed to a menu as it does not permit sub menu's, that is as flexible as an iron bar.

But I can see why many casual users who never caught on that they did not have to close their current appliation if they wanted to start a new one might not mind. But for myself, and others who have posted here, who actually use Windows to its full potential the Start Screeen is a poorly designed, multicolor DOS based task manager.

I would express my true feelings about it, but it is obvious from many of the posts on this blog that there is a good size contingent of teens and younger reading these posts and my language would not be appropriate..

12. BJWall says:

Pin my favourites to the taskbar and use the start screen app search to find the rest, done. It's really no big deal for me.

13. Mr Equis says:

Next time write a blog post titled: "Fixing Microsoft's incompetence for Windows 8 global launch."

In that post explain to developers how Microsoft fixed restrictions/omissions for submit apps given the fact that currently some countries where those developers live/work are lost in the limbo.

14. Darren says:

Hardly anyone will remember the statement from Steven Sinofsky made on this blog that telemetry data do not play a fundamental role when it comes to the decision about features.

This statement has cut off an upcoming discussion if relying on telemetry data is reliable at all as a lot of if not most users, corporate users and administrators turn the option to submit feedback to Microsoft off by default.

Now there is this other Microsoft Manager who admits that the start button was removed because telemtry data showed nobody uses it anymore: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/…/why-microsoft-killed-the-windows-start-button

If this is true, Steven Sinofsky has been caught making up his own truth. And it offers a reason why Microsoft is implementing eratic, non-intuitive, senseless features nobody needs.

At least there is this project that brings back the start button and skips the Start Screen as good as possible even on startup: classicshell.sourceforge.net

15. I completely agree with @Jhabril Harris. I would love to be working on my computer and have something pop in my mind and then kit a keyboard shortcut, or say my computers name, and then "remind me to do such-and-such in 10 minutes" and have it do so. Ideally that would sync to my phone too, but there really is no need for my phone and my desktop and my notebook to all alarm at the same time. The only one that needs to alarm is the one that is in use. If I'm using the mouse and keyboard, my phone doesn't need to alarm; particularly if my phone's accelerometer is showing no movement.

I can just imagine it now: 'computer, please find all emails to or from so-and-so and alert me when the list is ready'. 'computer, please start looking for a file containing this-and-that;' 'ok, should me what you've found so far.' I mean, that is pretty simple stuff to do and it would allow me to multi-task with only one screen. There are a lot of long-running tasks or audio only tasks that can be started and controlled by voice. (And don't tell me searching email isn't long-running. My Hotmail inbox has more than 14,000 items and even indexed using Outlook 2010 and on an SSD it takes more than 30 seconds for some searches. If I want a comprehensive search, like search for partial words, where the index doesn't work, it takes much longer. And don't get me started on how slow searching in files is, even indexed ones, but especially searching my network stores.)

16. NM says:

Sir, Very informative post.

17. @Microsoft

How about providing a Windows (not Metro) that natively reads PDF files?

As it is – metro Apps provide very basic fonctionnality – Navigating through files/folders is very limited – There is no background tasks for copying files (e.g: when importing photos from a camera using the photo App).

Mail and calendar are sort of a joke. Minimal; Why? Simple – you have Outlook on the other hand.

If you wish Metro to be sucessful – Make a real showcase of these Apps.

18. pmbAustin says:

Maybe it's just me, but I find the store very difficult to read and navigate.  "Update" notifications are a teeny-tiny text line in the upper right corner (where's the info on the live-tile?)… and if there are no updates, there doesn't seem to be any method to say "check for updates", or a way to get to the "update" screen, or any way to review recent updates.

When you click on an app in the store, I always get a nice display, and a screen shot… but there's an indicator of "more screen shots" under the image, and no way I've ever discovered to view these extra screen shots.  Or am I mistaken as to the meaning of those little dashes under the image?

It just seems really difficult to get the information I'm actually interested in.  In particular, why isn't there an indication of the apps I already OWN or HAVE INSTALLED at the *top* of the menu.  I'll frequently see an app in the list, click into it, only to see that I already have it.  So why was it listed in "choices for you"?  There should be some indicator at ALL TIMES that a given app being displayed is something I already own… or better yet differentiate between owned and unowned apps… and of owned apps, those that are actually installed on THIS device vs. being uninstalled (i.e. I can install this one for free because I already own it).  Or ones where I'm in "try before you buy" mode.

19. tino says:

I'm still missing the coolness of the Zune's Metro style in Windows 8 and the apps in the Store. It doesn't feel ready for prime time yet, to be honest.

Animations and mouse feedback are very rudimentary and the style is in most cases simply boring. Sorry to say this but I really miss the boldness and style that we see on the Zune HD or the Zune software. The contrast in color and font weights is totally gone in Windows 8.

If Metro is supposed to be the future of software development from Microsoft, we have to be blown away. Even with only one single app. But I haven't seen one that could excite me.

All preview apps in the Store feel like basic websites rushed together in short time. While Windows 8 has great technology under the hood, I'm afraid that it can't be successful without amazing apps. And this is not only because of the boring style, it is also because of the lack of interesting features. While App Contracts is a great idea, what are the small little innovative features in your major apps? Can you name one single feature that is not present in comparable web apps?

If we compare Bing website to the Maps app, or Hotmail to the Mail app, or Skydrive website to the Skydrive app, I'm asking you, why did you even created those apps? They are nice and "OK", but they lack 90% of the features. I'm not sure if you can change this in the next months.

20. rp says:

about surface tablet. it's really cool , but i miss  important thing you dont show –a  earphone jack

please add them in finish product. it's a deal breaker!

21. I second pmbAustin's recommendations. I've also hit a bug where the Store permanently displays "(1) update" both on the live tile and the app, only to tell me that I have no updates available. It's been this way for over a week, not sure what's causing it. I'm also unconvinced by the endless side scrolling layout. A fine solution for a few side categories, but terribly inefficient and confusing for such a long strip. Maybe go for a "Featured  –  Your Apps  –  Choices for you  –  Categories" where categories is a simple vertical list that will bring you to that category.

Mind you, I completely understand the need to play around with various layouts when starting out with a brand new paradigm, I just hope these usability gripes get handled prior to release.

22. Yeui says:

Another useless post… WE DONT LIKE METRO UI.

23. Building Windows 8 video wish says:

Hey Steven i really hope that you will announce the RTM release in a Building Windows 8 video with the whole team. You're missing in this series :)

24. pmbAustin says:

I agree that Windows 8 (and especially WinRT) will live or die by the quality of the Metro Apps available.

And at this point, the quality of the Metro Apps available is at best, charitably, described as "poor" and "underwhelming".

These apps need to at least *match* the capabilities and intuitiveness of similar apps on Android and iOS, and they currently do not.  But since Windows 8 is coming to the tablet party so late in the game, they really need to offer something special in order to offer a compelling reason for people to invest in a brand new ecosystem, even though most are likely already invested in a competing ecosystem.  For me, most of the "preview" apps are basically unusable… they're simply missing critical features or capabilities that render them useless for me.  And I assume for most people (I don't feel I'm any sort of special power user in this case).

Beyond that, the "sharing" feature is still really annoying… trying to mail something, and then switching to another app to look up something, and return to sharing, simply doens't work.  And that's a VERY COMMON use-case.  Work is actively lost when you do this, which is just bad.  If you're in an app, share to mail, type in some text into the email, and then switch away for any reason… you lose what you typed without warning.  This is unacceptable.  There are fundamental usability issues like this all over Win8/Metro.  And they MUST be resolved before launch.  I'm worried that they won't be.

25. Darren says:

The weather app shows impressively how bad the mixture of different paradigms is. Placing the mouse pointer into the center of the screen and scrolling down results in a scrolling left as Microsoft wants it to be. But this works only as long as the underlying content does not show a table built in. Unfortunately this happens with the weather app. And while the intention is to scroll the entire app, suddently it gets stuck and you find yourself scrolling down the table inside the weather app. You have to relocate the mouse away from the table so you can scroll the app again. It is not intuitive in any way that scrolling down means scrolling left and suddenly it means scrolling down within the same app.

The entire concept relying on this is not intuitive and annoying.

26. temp says:

@steven,

i didn't know where to write this suggestion but why :

Microsoft Outlook 15/2013 instead Outlook ?

Microsoft Word 15/2013 instead Word

Microsoft Surface RT instead of Surface (and Surface Pro)

and so on….

Please find cool name

the shortcut of IE is Internet Explorer not Internet Explorer 10 or whatever.. There are a lot of inconsistency.

I think MS should stop using is brand name for his products, it is confusing for basics users. They should also rename Internet Explorer to something else. (I ask a user to launch IE, and he doesn't know if it is windows explorer or IE so we have to make they see the address bar).

I think you are in the right direction to be a cool company but still have some efforts to do.

Doing your own tablet put a lot of pressure on OEM because they never care to deliver a good product (for esthetic) like apple does.

Keep doing a good work

27. temp says:

ask nokia to release a phone like this and for sure you will success

yronimus.deviantart.com/…/Microsoft-Surface-Phone-8-310437910

28. Chris says:

Will Windows 8 include support for non-US versions of English?  I would really like British English available …

29. CoyCoy says:

@Steven Sinofsky, how about a metro-style reader app with the following features:

– Ability to read XPS and PDF document. (is XPS discontinued? If not, please bring it back in the metro world)

– Ability to select text from documents (unlike the WP7 version of Adobe Acrobat reader in which we can't select & copy text).

– Ability to remove pages from documents.

– Ability to print documents over Bluetooth and WiFi with customization (select page numbers, grayscale/color etc.).

30. @Steven Sinofsky

I just want to say the Surface Tablet looks awesome and I hope you let OEMs use VaporMg for Windows Phones. Maybe have a surface phone each year like Google does with their Nexus devices. Also take a look at

this guy has some awesome ideas for the Windows brand and some nice ideas for Windows Phone. Keep up the good work. These are some of the most exciting times for MS.

31. sreesiv says:

Superb!!!

Windows Store will show record growths both in terms of numbers and quality of apps.

Windows has always been the best developer and consumer platform, for apps or system or for any software. Now we have a unified place to acquire and enjoy that galaxy of magic software.

32. soggy.potato says:

I am also experiencing the issue @arrow22 is experiencing. Mine always say Updates (2) even though I have zero updates.

@microsoft

For the people app please allow us to choose how we link to contacts into one because I have to facebook friends with the same exact name and their contact cards got merged. Finally, allow us to have groups like windows phone 7.5.

33. Windows 8 is going to fail...here's the proof: says:

Am not trolling but Microsoft please look at all the Windows 8 satisfaction survey out there on neowin, pcmag etc. More than 50% are uhappy with that ugly Metro UI. While it's good for tablet, we desktop users don't need that crap. It's just useless and lack of productivity means Windows 8 is in a big trouble. Here's the proof:

Windows 8 Surveys:

Half Who Have Tried the OS Wouldn't Recommend It:

Will you buy Windows 8? 59.2% said no

No 64% / Yes 36% Makeuseof

No 81% / Yes 19% Overclocked

No 56% / Yes 44% ZDNet

Seems like Microsoft is cooking another Vista and the trend of major release failures and as usual, pay for a fix strategy is going to continue…Good luck Microsoft for the next ME/Vista

34. Steffo says:

@Windows 8 is going to fail…here's the proof:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Vista. It works far better than Windows 7 on my computers.

35. smartboyhw says:

@John Smith

Sure, they would. Microsoft is giving people a chance to upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro. They will make one.

@Steffo

I clearly disagree. My computer crashes in Vista when opening a .ZIP file directly.

36. pmbAustin says:

The one change that still manages to annoy, and I can't get used to it, is a very simple thing to fix…

In Windows 7, if I want to adjust the mouse, or check for updates, I can just type "mouse<enter>" or "update<enter>" and I'm there.

In Windows 8, if I type "update", I get "nothing found".  I have to notice there is a number next to settings, then lift my hand off the keyboard, go over to the mouse, move the mouse pointer over to "settings", and click it.

What a pain!

It's really simple:  by default, if you type something and there are no hits in the top item ("Apps"), it should AUTOMATICALLY show hits from the first topic that HAS hits.  Only show me "nothing found" if there is truly NOTHING FOUND.

If you really think there's some rhyme or reason to the way it works now (I can't fathom what it would be) then at least provide the option:  "Automatically show first category with hits in Start Screen Search" or something.

On a side note:  I've *always* used MRU order for tab switching in IE, and task switching via Alt-Tab.  It would be really nice if "Most-Recently-Used" order was available for Metro task switching (switcher/swiping-in-from-left) as well.  The most common activity is to swap back and forth between two apps (the last one and the current one).  For the swiping, you could just use a timer to reset what the current app is (akin to lifting the Alt key in Alt-Tab):  if I'm swiping in fast enough, keep going to the next.  If I pause for over a second (or two, I'm sure you can find the optimal delay) then the next swipe should be the most recent app.  Always cycling through the entire list in order grows quickly tedious when what you generally want to do is go back and forth between two apps.  At least provide the OPTION.

Finally, I really find myself wanting the start screen to be "like an app" when it comes to task switching.  If I throw the mouse up to the upper left after starting my first app, I sorta expect to go "back" to where I was, because this is precisely the behavior if I was in a different app and started a new one.  If there are no apps in the list at all, instead of just doing nothing, with NO indication as to why, it should just show the start screen like hitting the lower-left corner.  When you're on your first app (only one Metro app running, no desktop), the switcher just seems broken… nothing happens.  It's weird.  It's unexpected.  It's unintuitive.  There's no feedback at all.  Having the start screen there at least gives you and idea about what is going on and why… you're trying to "switch apps" but only have one running… did you want to start another?  See, that just seems like Windows HELPING you, instead of frustrating and confusing you when absolutely nothing happens… but it worked fine just yesterday!

Please consider addressing these issues!

37. alvatrus says:

@Windows 8 is going to fail…

Vista brought the whole of Windows to a higher level platform. It may not have been a commercial success, but from a technological point of view, it was an epic advancement. That's what caused the initial flaws and why it gained a dubious reputation. Poor preparation of OEM's (no drivers ready) and forcing people to -gasp- think about installing every piece of crapware and malware on their system.

In comparison, Windows 7 was just a fit-and-finish. But by then the pundits loved it, of course.

38. Notification Center. says:

Notification Center please. We need a system where we could see all updates with once glance (and not by scavenging through all the tiles and those easy to miss pop ups).

39. Stefano says:

Disable Metro UI on desktop PCs as an option. And for just 40 or 70 dollars everybody will get Windows 8. I hope euro prices will be the same (should be lower, indeed).

40. I think, the question is not whether Metro is good or not. Maybe it is good on tablets, I do not argue with that. The question is, why Desktop is to be literally castrated in favor of Metro.

Please, explain me, why, when I click the Network Connections icon, instead of a convenient window there appears a big bulls…t sized in one-third (well, a quarter) of the screen, which is not only way tooo big, moreover, it closes all the tray icons and clock? Why I, as an owner of my computer, can not decide for myself what is more comfortable to use – the Start menu, or the full-screen Start crap? If now we have two switchers – one only for desktop applications (taskbar), the other only for Metro, what's the problem to make two launchers – one is the Start Screen, on which only Metro apps will be published, and the second is the Start menu in which, as before, desktop applications will be published?

Multitasking in Metro? Hmm… Try to open two PDF files at once in new Metro-style Reader, to compare them, for example. You will not succeed it, because as soon as you open a new file, the old one will be automatically closed, and to return to it, you'll have to reopen it (Metro does not allow opening multiple instances of one application at all).

Can anyone tell me, how can I copy a file from folder A to folder B in the Metro interface? Or just open a folder to view its contents? If, for example, I have music, videos, photos and documents all in the same folder, do I have to open it in four different programs to view its contents (or, rather, in 20, because every Metro app sees only its own file types)? Ah yes, there is Desktop for that…

Why only apps that fit vertically on the screen are visible in the new Metro Switcher (called by Win + Tab), and if I open more apps, the old ones disappear (check it, you will not see them even by Alt + Tab)? So I don't need the work that I've been doing in those apps any longer? Ah, right, there is Desktop Task Manager, with which it is simple and elegant to bring needed app back to life… It's even worse with Metro IE tabs: once you opened the 11th tab, now you can forget about what you saw or did in the 1st tab because it is gone forever. Why Redmond guys decided that I do not need to open more than 7 apps and 10 tabs in IE? Ah yes, the Desktop is still there.

It turns out that in order to work with more than 1.5 programs simultaneously, or to make any setting that goes beyond the meager set in the Metro Control Panel, I need to switch to the Desktop. But in order to work on the Desktop I need to constantly switch to the Metro, because Redmond decided that the new Start Screen is much greater than "the old and clumsy" Start menu.

41. @Microsoft

I totally agree with pmbAustin, searching should sort all results for all categories: files – settings and Apps. This is what windows search or spotlight do at present.

Let me get things straight – currently – Windows 8 Metro Apps aren't anywhere near iOS counterpart. I can't speak for Android qs I don't use this OS.

@Microsoft

Bring us some real Apps. Even your Apps aren't anywhere near ready for launch. You Apps are supposed to showcase what Windows  can do. So far, Metro does not do much…

42. Commentor 3 says:

Hi,

Please make an upgrade advisor like the one you made in Windows 8. I think your work is great, I think Windows 8 is the best operating system of the world.

Thank you Microsoft for create this marvellous OS.

(Actually using Windows 7)

43. LTD says:

@BJWall

First, it's jarring, I have 2 thirty inch monitors, I don't need to waste all that space to start an app.

Second Program makers can use the tiles to advertise on your desktop…. did you like blink tags?  Now your start menu is a huge blink tag.

Third it lacks the ability to add a hierarchical structure to make programs more intuitive to find.

I can go on for hours about how crappy and horrible both the start screen and metro as a whole are, but most PC users dislike it to plain hate it.  This is an example about why MS failed in the tablet market – they tacked an OS that isn't suitable for the device onto it.  They screwed up by putting a desktop on tablets and now they are doing the same thing in an inverse fashion…. tacking the horrid metro UI onto desktops.

Metro is fine for a tablet, but I already have a tablet and it's not Microsoft's, I already have a desktop and it will never be windows 8 if I can help it.

44. I am also having the same bug @arrow22 and @soggy.potato have. The marketplace always shows 1 update but there is none.

45. Albos says:

According to http://www.win8china.com/…/1142.html MS also removed gadgets from the Windows 8 desktop in order to force people into creating and using Metro apps.

So if you want to check your CPU load in a CPU-intensive desktop program for example you will have to switch to some fullscreen Metro CPU-app. After switching to Metro you won't be able to manipulate your desktop program anymore, of course, thus you will have to switch back and forth for testing, very reliable and convenient…

46. Cristian says:

I tested Windows 8 Customer Preview and I hope RTM were better. It has a lot of errors. And metro UI I do not see it at enterprise networks, just for fun not to work. Is possible to disable metro UI? Is going to be another professional version (for companies in order to work)? I hope Microsoft think a lot before taking W8 to the road, or it will be another Millenium/Vista case.

47. Stop Complaining says:

If you don't like Windows 8 Don't get it simple, If people want it, it is there money and it is there choice to get it or not. It isn't your choice

48. Windows says:

Windows is a window, not a flag and static flag !!! >:(

49. Windows says:

Metro UI is not a Windows Vista, idiot !!! Aero Interface has been removed this bad feauter, because Aero Interface is Windows Vista !!!

So, stop panic about BAD NEWS !!! >:(

Metro UI = Windows 8, not Vista

Aero Interface = Windows Vista, not 8

50. kaustubha says:

why not MS make all the apps which are not metro resume capable so like a resume function of mac os is implemented in windows also

51. Windows says:

Windows 8 is now already fixed, so stop panic about bad news, Bill Gates etc.

52. Windows says:

@kaustubha, shut down and take my money !!! >:(

53. Windows 8 says:

Stop comment about bad news, Aero Interface, Bill Gates etc. !!!

Windows 8 is now more faster, fixable and beautiful.

54. I love you, Microsoft !!! :D says:

I love you, Microsoft !!! +INFINITE!!!

I love you, Windows !!! +INFINITE!!!

I love you, Windows 8 !!! +INFINITE!!!

I love you, Metro UI !!! +INFINITE!!!

I love you, Steve Balmer !!! +INFINITE!!!

I love you, Steven Sinofsky !!! +INFINITE!!!

55. C-Dan says:

Might wanna buy my logos and update your windows logos, MSFT 😀 cdan007.deviantart.com/…/Microsoft-Windows-new-logo-concept-312521167

56. Windows says:

@C-Dan, your logos is SHI* !!! >:(

57. Windows 8 says:

Windows 8 is the most popular OS ever !!!

*No start button !!!

*No disable metro in services !!!

*No even download for free !!!

*No Windows NT !!!

*No Windows Vista !!!

*No BSOD !!!

*No bugs anymore !!!

Problem?

58. im really looking forward to the RTM but at the same time im very worried about the number of apps that will be available at that time because the main selling point of windows 8 and the one thing that will determine if consumers buy it or not either on pc or tablet is going to be how many apps are available for it.  when someone installs windows 8 or boots up their tablet one of the very first things they are going to do is hit the store tile to check out all the apps and unless the store has 1000s not hundreds of apps then its going to fail rite off the mark.

currently by my count and at the time of this post the store has 263 apps available which to some people may sound like thats a lot of apps to play with but when navigating through the store it feels like a lot less because most categories have less than 10 to 20 apps in them and the store doesnt look like it has much at all.  both ipad and android have over 100k apps available and although no one will expect windows 8 to have anywhere near that amount available at launch people will expect at least a few thousand to give them choice otherwise they will walk straight passed windows 8 and head towards the android or ipad isles and especially around christmas time noone will want a windows 8 tablet if theres hardly anything to use on it.

if the release dates floating around the internet are correct and windows 8 is to be released around october time then you only have 3 months left in which to pack the store with 1000s of apps and that is why im worried because at the current rate it doesnt look like that is going to happen unless the store is opened to all developers at least 1 month before official release.  i think the best strategy will be to pack the store with as many apps as possible before release and get the big tech sites and bloggers posting and blogging app reviews and how many apps the store has compared to android and ipad to get people interested and spread the word to as many people as possible before launch.  the number of apps the store has on release will determine if it is a success or fail.

bring on the RTM im ready for it