Experiencing Windows 8 touch on Windows 7 hardware

As many no doubt know by now, we’ve released a Developer Preview of Windows 8. This is a build of the software designed for developers to begin developing apps using the new capabilities of Windows 8 and our new tools. The build is substantially complete across subsystems but is not a beta by any measures that we use to define a beta. The rich diversity and creativity you find within the ecosystem of hardware/software/peripherals for Windows can lead to a situation where different parts of an overall experience are available at different times. Windows 8 is in a developer preview state now, but there is not yet a broad set of PC hardware upon which to experience some of the new, hardware-specific, aspects of Windows 8. Of course Windows 8 is designed from the ground up to be an amazing upgrade (or clean install) for any PC that runs Windows 7. But we know many folks are anxious to try out some of the new scenarios and form factors that will also make Windows 8 shine.

There are no Windows 8 PCs yet, but there are PCs we have been using in our labs and that our team has been using to test the new capabilities of Windows 8. We work closely with PC makers to test early systems and will continue to do so. But we also wanted to let you know about the systems we have been working with that have touch capabilities and allow you to experience these new aspects of Windows 8. This is not an exhaustive list, and it is definitely not a recommended, certified or “logo” list. It is merely a list of machines we have experience with, and so we want to share that experience with you. We think if you’re looking to experience some of the latest scenarios and aspects of Windows 8 before there are purpose-built Windows 8 machines, this is a good start.

So, this post focuses on the touch interface aspects of PCs designed for Windows 7, which also work with Windows 8. Grant George, corporate vice president for all of Windows test, and Jeff Piira, a test manager on our HIP team, authored this post together.

–Steven

Over many years in the PC ecosystem, we have seen the machine <–> human interface evolve many times. The first era was the command-line interface, where we only needed the keyboard to be able to type out commands on a black screen. The next era was the graphical user interface, where we enabled support for a mouse, in addition to a keyboard. The mouse made it easier for users to interact with “windows,” icons, menus, and pointers. Recently we have seen more and more emphasis on a natural user interface, where users interact not just with a keyboard or mouse, but also with touch. The way people interact with technology has evolved, such that touch interfaces are now more common than ever, and they can be found today across a myriad of devices ranging from 3-inch mobile phones to book readers, notebooks, large desktop displays, point of sale devices, kiosks and more. Touch is everywhere and it’s here to stay.

In Windows 8, we are taking the next step in adopting touch as a truly first-class input mechanism by evolving not only our UI, but many other platform elements as well. The goal of this blog post is not to introduce the overall story of touch for Windows 8 (that will come later), but to tell the story of hardware, how it is evolving, and what we think Windows 8 will bring to the ecosystem of touch.

Every touch interface has its own challenges to develop and perfect. However, to the end user, what matters most is the smooth, responsive, and natural experience of interacting with a device using touch. This sensation of performance is something we have prioritized heavily in Windows 8.

Performance of touch is not an easy thing to quantify, and there are many elements to consider. The speed at which the software input stack responds to the hardware is a primary factor. As much as we can make advances in optimizing the software, hardware pays a huge role in the “feel” of an immersive touch experience. For Windows 8, one of our approaches is to partner deeply with industry leaders on this aspect of touch, something which has paid off tremendously.

Another aspect of change in Windows 8 has been how we have approached the touch experience. Early on we decided to concentrate on ensuring the key user experiences are not only designed, but are fully optimized for touch. While this decision may seem trivial, it fundamentally changed how we evaluate Windows 8 on existing hardware and how we communicate with hardware partners. All of our requirements and tests are built off the user experiences rather than specific hardware centric capabilities. This helps to ensure that there is no gap between what the hardware can do and what the software expects.

So how do we define a good touch experience in Windows 8?

• Panning and touch response are precise and smooth (we call this “stick to your finger” panning).
  • Touch visualization is direct and immediate.
  • Targeting UI with your fingers is seamless and confident.
  • Typing on the screen is quick, efficient and responsive.
  • Touch application experiences are consistent. Touching these applications will work the same regardless of the device they are run on.

Touch hardware coverage

As the market for touch-enabled Windows PCs is broad, we focused our efforts on existing in-market devices to guide our initial development. Here are some of the newer Windows 7 systems that we use most commonly:

• HP Elitebook 2740p and 2760p convertible
  • ASUS EP121 tablet
  • Dell Inspiron Duo convertible
  • Lenovo x201, x220t convertible
  • 3M M2256PW 22” display

We also test Windows 8 on a broader set of in-market systems. Touch quality is not only about the touchscreen and its relationship to the user. When we’re testing complete systems, things like bezel design, graphics, CPU and cover glass can impact the Windows 8 touch experience as well. We are committed to supporting the hardware that is running with Windows 7 today and working hard to bring a good experience to our customers who upgrade. As we continue through our development cycle on Windows 8, we will update this blog and call out how progress is coming with existing in-market systems.

Image of the Windows test labs with many different types of laptops, tablets, and desktop machines

Below is a list of the devices we currently have in our test labs.

3M M2256PW

HP TouchSmart IQ500

Toshiba Portege_M700

Dell ST2220T

HP TouchSmart TX2Z

Toshiba Sattellite Har/Kar

Touch tests

Here are a couple of examples of tests that we run to see how hardware and software works together. The first test covers new Windows 8 features  that you access by swiping a finger in from the edges of the screen, like Search, Share, and Settings. (We will talk more about these features in future posts.)

Windows 8 Start screen with Search, Share, Start, Devices, and Settings charms shown along the right edge of the screen

To ensure a smooth panning experience, we have requirements for the latency of hardware response and panning with touch. We use a high-speed camera to measure input lag or delay between when a user touches the screen and when that action is reflected on the display. The less lag or separation between the user’s finger and the object being dragged the better!

Building new touch hardware for Windows 8

Keeping the user experience at the top of the requirements, Windows 8 will kick off a new generation of computing devices, and it is only natural that touchscreen technologies will evolve with it. Our goal on the Windows team is to work in lock step with external hardware partners in the development of new hardware that will more fully support Windows 8 requirements, and ultimately provide the smooth, responsive, and natural touch experience that Windows users expect. Our continuing work with our touch hardware partners, suppliers, IHV’s (independent hardware vendors), and PC manufacturers will help us together deliver an immersive and intuitive touch experience in Windows 8.

–Grant and Jeff

1. Varemenos says:

Adding the HP Touchpad in that list would be awesome

2. Sundaravenkataraman says:

Waiting for the Release Candidate….

3. Jim Duncan says:

Downloading the developer preview now to load on my EP121…

4. Rob7 says:

Steve, watched your presentation this morning…..just wanted to say it was awesome.  Congrats!

5. fail says:

Now I've seen what windows 8 really is like, i know where it will be heading. What's the point of upgrading from Windows 7 if there are no other desktop improvements other than the Ribbon UI and the dialog boxes which I can live without? Please add an option to at least minimize the venerated ribbon.  I know that Windows 8 is focused on tablet PCs but how about the majority of Windows users who are still using the desktop as their machines? And the legacy apps such as Media Player, do they get any improvements?

Let me also stress out that switching apps between the Metro UI and Desktop is really "jarring" because of the inconsistency between the two interfaces. Some parts of the desktop clearly is influenced by Metro such as the dialog boxes which makes use of Metro Fonts, but what about the other parts of the UI, do they get any polish too? Adding Metro-influenced visual style might help.

I'm also too worried that the new explorer Ribbon might look too clunky and confusing for most people to the extent that they might disable it, so please consider minimalism without affecting functionality.

Faster boot times is a big boon for all of us, so kudos on your hardwork.

6. raymond says:

you should work on portrait mode. And also work on the tablet being flipped in all directions. On the desktop it will be fine horizontally. On a tablet, not so much. Also is silver-light not being used as a way to build metro styled apps?

7. NGri says:

Congratulations to the Windows 8 team and to your interns!

What was presented in a raw form today shows a well thought out journey which will have a significant impact both in the enterprise and on the consumer segments of the market.

Your commitment to quality sets in my opinion the right level of expectation both internally to Microsoft  and to its partners and clients.

8. Anybody that has probllems shoudl watch the keynote.   This is going to be epic great, or FTW, or whatever phrase you want to use.

As for desktop improvement comments, I don't want to alarm you, but I don't agree.

You don't need to have the ribbon on the explorer if you don't like it (It is in the keynote).  Problem solved.  I don't beblieve that most will be jarred from switching between interfaces.   I'm pretty sure people will get used it it.   Not everybody wants Metro for everything, as a matter of fact, I think Steven made it pretty clear in the keynote that the desktop isn't going to be metro and metro isn't going to be the desktop.   That's just great (probably for 99.999% of users).   And the new "Web of Apps" caps are just amazing.

But I do have one problem @Steven Sinofsky, I really want to buy that Samsung tablet!

All kidding aside, Microsoft, this is a GREAT JOB.   Just keep up the good work!

-e

9. Lavinski says:

@fail did you even watch the keynote

@microsoft, thankyou guys, it's gonna be awesome

10. Shell.user says:

Why didn't you guys only ADD Metro ?

If I'd ever get myself a tablet I'd sure be looking into Windows 8. Not because I think its better than the competition, but because the demo's I've seen look good, I'd end up on an environment I'm already familiar with and it would easily blend in with my current environment.

But if I'd ever got myself a new PC (knowing that companies will eventually dump the latest and greatest on it pre-installed "because") I'd either insist on getting Win7 (professional) or "downgrade" myself. If this is the future of Windows then sorry but count me out!

Why, oh why did you guys /replace/ the start menu with that metro stuff ? You could just have added it like you did with Windows Media Center :(

Haven't you learned ANYTHING from the Vista disaster? Apparently not, shame on you!

Very simplified example as why I think Metro is going to s*ck big time:

Win7: I click start and /directly/ above are the 8 (my setup) most commonly used programs. I move my mouse up, click and /wham/. I'm there. Optionally I can hoover and wait for the jumplist to appear so that I can open a specific file directly.

Win8: I click start and then risk having to move my mouse all the way to the upper right corner of the screen because the program I want to start is located there as a tile. WTF? In the Win 7 desktop you also have a view of everything that is running, but here in Win 8 you temporarily get disorientated by a full-sreen menu which blocks out everything else and forces you to temporarily use an alien UI.

Am I so smart to recognize a potential problem here or are these guys perhaps too obsessed with tablets that they totally forget (and ignore) all the PC users out there?

11. raymond says:

The show the desktop button needs to be moved elsewhere or you need to give programs on the regular desktop to either be minimized by default or have the ability to make it minimized by default. It would also be nice for a full screen button and resize indication

12. raymond says:

As with the phone  typography needs some depth whether that be shadows or an outer glow because it is hard to see the image without making the image darker therefore messing with the beauty of the original image. Such as the example with the lock-screen. Another good example is the start screen which has a very solid background. it's not a detailed image so all the metro boxes and typography look fine on it. But what happens when users choose a detailed background?

13. Axel says:

Windows 8 Dev Preview fails to install on my Windows 7 HP Slate 500 because it supposedly don't support ACPI?!?!? :-(

14. jmusick says:

I simply can't wait for the public beta. I'll start with the developer preview and get back in the Visual Studio developing scene as soon as it's done downloading and installed.

15. Kevin Menzel says:

I'd really love to give Windows 8 more of a go, though my sound hardware (a Roland UA-101 studio interface) won't install on the released build unfortunately! I do think more attention needs to be paid to the NON-touch experience in Metro though. For instance, Copper gets stuck insisting that I perform a pinch-zoom, which is as far as I know, impossible without multi-touch. And if there's a way of closing a Metro application outside of the task manager, it's really not obvious – which can be quite frustrating! Also – why can't tiles be renamed? Etc.

I know a lot of those issues will be solved eventually, but if developers are going to start developing based on this build, I think it's pretty important that some of the "how do I do things like "exit" in an obvious fashion" get sorted out – and if they're obvious in a touch experience, they need to be sorted out for the non-touch experience quickly!!

16. Axel says:

Definitely fails to install. Latest HP multi-touch hardware and Win7 Pro, device manager shows a half dozen ACPI related drivers all working fine and the Win8 Dev Preview refuses to install, keeps pretending it's not an ACPI computer (i.e. tells me that my 2011 slate is a pre-1995 PC…).

17. Roy Wang says:

I installed Win8 Preview version on my Lenovo X201 tablet. The tablet keys and  active rotation function is not working.

18. Dizzy Gil says:

So, is there no way to pop up the Win7 start menu instead of going to the Metro interface when you click on the start button?  I can't find the option to enable the Win7 start menu.

(Also, I had to install to a spare laptop since I couldn't get either the 32bit or 64bit version of Win8 to install in VMware 7.1.0.  I see that others are reporting VMware Workstation problems too.)

19. More general help with the Windows 8 Developer Preview can be found here: social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/threads

Thank you very much for your support and enthusiasm!

20. Dillon says:

What is the cheapest device on that list? I want to look into the HP Compaq L2105TM monitor, but I'm worried about the large bezel extrusion (for the optical cameras) making it hard to swipe in from the side. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks!

21. Luiz Otavio Rodrigues says:

Ok on PC, but the ARM version?! I thinking, maybe will be cool if Microsoft let us a version to install in Tablets that already have other OS installed, focusing in Tablets with Android. Maybe an SDK to build the Windows for this devices… Well, thoughts from sleepless night…

22. dude, people like you are the reason there is SO much legacy baggage in windows, and now our bitching that not only are they supporting your cheap ass, but you're mad because Microsoft is finally doing SOMETHING new?

23. About Text Glow, i personally absolutely LOVE the typography on the Lion setup screen…

cfile5.uf.tistory.com/…/172127394E2CB5112E91DA

you can kind of see it there, it's absolutely beautiful.

24. Krishnakumar RT says:

Can windows 8 be beta tested with a RC in virtual machine for Windows 7 .. so that kinda eliminates duplicates and devoids piracy from a RC. :)

25. chans says:

Windows 8 is coming

waiting computer “design for Windows 8”

26. mobiletonster says:

Uh…..can you tell me how to reformat my iPad and install Windows 8 on it?

27. anyone tried anbinstall on a fuji Q550? says:

The HP Slate seems to fail. Any Info?

28. B8Blog says:

@Roy Wang. You will need the Lenovo drivers for those buttons.  you can rotate the screen manually via the desktop display control panel.  or you can search for the orientation setting.

29. I've been watching the demo, and I'm not going to lie, it looks pretty good, but you guys need to redo all the icons system wide, and please let them be minimalist icons, look the the Chrome 13 icon, it's gorgeous, please style your icons after that colorful minimalist style. seriously.

30. Microsoft, you HAVE to search the internet built in, without going to a seperate app, it has to be system wide, and you also need to knock down the walls. you're doing this picture thing, but you have to go toa  seperate app to access your friends pics, you HAVE to aggregate EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE. sign into gmail, and get access to everything, start looking for wallpapers in the control panel, it automagically includes google+ pics, or facebook, or hopefully everything, (make it a plugin system, that uses Trident to crawl these things, and you basically sign in and it stores the login in your profile) and i'm not sure which, but there needs to be a filter for when looking for wallpapers, it needs to filter pics based on resolution, but in non wallpaper areas it needs to display all pics regardless of res, the only problem, is how confusing would that be to the user?

31. Windows 8 install ok on my Dell XPS L702x that has a touchscreen. Missing some drivers for the hardware and had to manually install the touch drivers to get multitouch to work. The new interface is pretty cool but it is definitely buggy

32. I have a Toshiba Satellite L25( 2GBs of RAM and 1.2Ghz processor) and windows 8 (the developer preview) installed perfectly fine. I had no problems installing it but it is slow, it's running slower than my windows 7, and metro ui just doesn't work on a regular laptop. So far i notices that Metro UI might be usable only with touch screens and as far as the keyboard and mouse goes, metro UI is very irritating to use.

keep up the good work :)

33. Kasoki says:

After work i'm going to try Windows 8 on my EeePC 1005HA 😉

34. Stan says:

Request:

The Start Menu lacks a lot of features found in the traditional Start Menu. I would like to request:

"Classic" view (think: control panel listing of all system perferences) of installed programs.

Shutdown panel — a little box or something out of the way that can shut off the computer/ sleep/ log off/ etc.

Explorer panel — same as above, but for most commonly visited filesystem locations (Documents, Pictures, etc.)

^ Implementing these would mean ALL the functionality of the Start menu would be replicated, in some ways in a better form. (I can easily see 30+ programs being displayed via classic view with the whole screen estate.)

Also, more visual cues for those using mouses to help them navigate better. My only complaint about Windows 8 was that I didn't know how to use it — and I hope more visual cues of what I am supposed to click would help me figure that out.

35. antiufo says:

What does it mean "What would you like to keep -> Nothing"? It's scary!

s1.proxy04.twitpic.com/…/397321682.png

Will Windows 8 format my hard disk, or will it simply move existing Windows files to C:windows.old?

36. thetruckinglife says:

do not know why everyone is having any troubles but I hope it gets resolved.

I installed 32bit on my test machine an old Dell Dimension E310 and all is working fine.

all hardware recognized and drivers installed, downloaded updates and installed no problem.

Wrote this post on the machine mentioned.

37. one last thing, we need the ability to change the background of the start page, the green is disoreinting and so plain, it feels like a strange alien planet or something.

38. thetruckinglife says:

do not know why everyone is having any troubles but I hope it gets resolved.

Wrote this post on the machine mentioned.

39. I'm installing Windows 8 on my Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 and my HP-Compaq tc1100.

@Steve Sinofsky: what about the screen orientation? During the keynote you always use the landscape orientation but, in my opinion, for a tablet use the best screen orientation is portrait. Will Metro UI works in portrait orientations?

40. Nick Berder says:

I think it's very important, that the same touch-gestures that Win8 performs on a touchscreen are also possible on the touchpad.

41. @antiufo, for me, it moved existing Windows files to C:Windows.old.

42. sovan says:

watching hd movies does not have sound in media player and it slows down the movie playback.please solve in win 7 it pays without any issue.i know it is developer preview so suggesting to fix tis lg while playing movies i window 8

43. smith says:

after two restarts, i'm unable to log in to my live id, it just returns me to the lock screen.

44. sovan says:

there are lots of bugs in the apps and even after the apps get suspended they consume ram which slows the pc down.Its suggestion to build team so that this bugs can be fixed and in final version it become more stable,smooth and fast.By the way ribbon,hyper v,iso and vhd mounting is awesome.

45. Paul says:

Look Microsoft, you need to make more comment on what you are going to do for the overwhelming majority of NON-touch PC users. I have looked at the build, and frankly, the Start screen does not work well with mouse and keyboard and never will. You can do the same thing for mouse-users by allowing tile-like Desktop Gadgets.

I think a good feature for hybrid devices would simply be to have the Metro UI is a separate program. Maybe you could have some smart devices which automatically launch the Metro UI when they receive touch input or when they are detached from their keyboard docks.  You could then rename the start screen "TouchStart" – that is a more honest name – it is realistically the start screen for touch users and touch users only. I think you should also avoid names like "Metro" or "Aero" in your UI as well because these only confuse novice users as to what they mean – "TouchStart" would also be a better and more logical name for the Metro UI in general

46. geardoom3 says:

I'm probably the only one in the world right now that wasn't able to have Windows 8 Dev Preview on a Virtual PC (crying)

I have one machine, one OS, Vista x64 and I would like to test the development of W8 but the only thing I have is Virtual PC without any additional OS.  So I tought that the W8 download mounted on a DVD would have been sufficient but it doesn't seem to work as it gives me HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED with a nice BIG :) when booting from the DVD with VPC

Now if I need to install an OS in VPC then from there execute SETUP on the W8 DVD, well, I'm doomed.

Any thought ?

47. geardoom3 says:

@paul, dude you can go on Windows as before just by thinking about it.  Did you see the first Keynote ?

48. Hamster says:

I'm unable to double-boot Win 8 and 7 on the HP 2740P, trying to install Win 8 on a secondary partition, but it says it can only install on the first partition. Any work around anyone has come across? I don't want to hose my Win 7 install just yet!

49. geardoom3 says:

Ops, frozen on Getting System ready : pages.videotron.com/…/frozen.jpg

50. geardoom3 says:

I restarted the machine and now it's frozen on Preparing : pages.videotron.com/…/frozen2.jpg

I don't know what I'm doing wrong…

51. cauleyflower says:

It indeed doesn't make sense for desktop users to be forced into using the Metro Start screen. On top of that, adding a second UI paradigm is only going to confuse the hell out of new users.

A better solution that gives some of the benefits would be to make a new Desktop start menu that is not full-screen, but uses much more of the width available on your screen to display search results better.

52. raymond says:

does the start screen work portrait mode? Or is it like the phone where it seems to be fixated in one orientation?

53. geardoom3 says:

Finally I've been able to make the Windows 8 Dev Preview working.

Is this normal when I click on something, it does nothing ?

54. Drewfus says:

The new 'Start Desktop' is a vast improvement over the clunky cascading start menu we have put up with for over 15 years, but im concerned your overdoing it. Some typographers regard large font size as lacking 'authority', and Metro has large, simple looking tiles with large text. It looks too toy like. Fine for tablets and netbooks perhaps, but not quite what is needed on serious desktop and laptop machines.

Please consider making tiles 'big enough' – reduce size until usability is hindered, and/or add detail to the tiles. Currently look is too 'Fisher-Price' for my eyes. Desktop space should not be used up "because you can", but treated as a scarce resource, and used only as necessary.

55. Downloaded the Developer Preview last night.  I'm looking forward to getting it up and running tonight when I get out of work.

56. Remco Ploeg says:

A big tablet the past years is the Dell XT2. I have installed windows 8 on it  Runs great, but the touch is not working. Is there already a solution for it? I tried to install the ntrig driver but no luck here.

thanks and keep up the good work!!

57. Drewfus says:

"The speed at which the software input stack responds to the hardware is a primary factor. As much as we can make advances in optimizing the software, hardware pays a huge role in the “feel” of an immersive touch experience. For Windows 8, one of our approaches is to partner deeply with industry leaders on this aspect of touch, something which has paid off tremendously."

Interesting, but could you elaborate? Some technical detail would be nice on a blog about building Windows. What sort of metrics are you working with? How do these compare to Win7? Why has cooperation with OEMs made as much difference as you claim? Is it possible that when we move to 8,16 or higher cores per CPU, an entire core can or will be dedicated to input and touch management, for ultra-fast response and low latency? Will high power machines of the current generation feel more touch-responsive than lower powered machines? Do you, or will MSFT have recommendations regarding this?

"To get the best experience when swiping in from the edge, touch must be responsive across the entire active screen starting at pixel 1 on each side, so we’ve developed tools to ensure that swipes are always properly detected at the edges of the screen."

Will this improved touch accuracy require or be aided by the user running the calibration wizard during OOBE, or will OEMs and system builders be required to individually calibrate touchscreens as part of logo requirements? If a system is reimaged/reset, will calibration data be lost?

58. elegante says:

You foks are on the right track.  Messrs. A and G should be worried.  Great work so far.

59. Raj Koothrappali says:

Are there two versions of every application? For example, IE10 for desktop and IE10 for Metro interface…

And what about DirectX version in Windows 8?

DirectX 11 as in Windows 7, Direct X 11.something, DirectX 12?

Thank you.

60. Spyderco says:

Nice work guys, really liking it so far.

One thing i would suggest is made easier, is adding new tiles to the metro ui when on a non touch device, took us all a while to work out how to get in the apps section and pin new tiles.

Otherwise have had a faultless experience so far :)

61. @GearWorld, I had the same issue where I would click on something but nothing happens but after I restarted my computer everything seems to work fine.

@Paul, I completely agree with you.

I have been using it the whole night :D, and it's some what effortful. The start screen really doesn't work well with mouse and keyboard for non-touch pc users like myself. And after a while, Metro UI becomes characterless and loses its beauty.

I know this is just the developer preview and I don't want to sound too judgmental, just want to point out some inconveniences I have experience while using  Windows 8 the developer preview.

62. I take it that I can just add another HDD to my desktop (running Windows 7 x64) and install it that way without issue?

Have tried to install via Virtual PC 2007 and inbuilt Windows 7 Virtual PC without joy.

I was mainly after the installation screen shots, but for general playing about will just do a normal install and hope that the RC will be able to be installed via Virtual PC 2007 as Win 7 was.

63. B8Blog says:

@GDF-UCDS .. yes rotate is fully supported and responds to sensors if the drivers for Windows 8 are installed.  It is hard to demo portrait in af big room since it gets letterboxed on the projectors.  Rotate is awesome on the Samsung Preview device.  If your montor supports rotation you can "manually" rotate via the desktop cpl.  just search for "orientation" or "rotate" in settings.

64. B8Blog says:

65. Elle says:

FYI, the Win8 preview would not install on VMware Workstation 7.1.4 on my computer, but it does install with VMware Workstation 8.0.  (Tip: Choose "Other" as the operating system.)

Mr. Sinofsky, maybe you should reprimand your subordinates for not warning you about Virtual PC, Hyper-V, VMware, VirtualBox issues — this has soured the "first impression" experience of probably thousands of us out here, and thousands more to be frustrated in the coming days.  Not very good planning…

(Also, how do we turn the Win7 start menu back on?  I don't want to switch to the Metro start screen every time I click the start button, it's just way too much of a hassle even when Win8 goes RTM.)

66. DanglingPointer says:

@raymond, it does work with portrait mode. Checkout the engadget post: http://www.engadget.com/…/windows-8-for-tablets-hands-on-preview

67. Cranialsurge says:

The Metro UI makes sense for tablets and other touch-centric form factors. The experience for a traditional desktop user with a mouse and keyboard is appalling.

Transitions and consistency are a huge issue. Simple things like respecting the back button on metro, or not being thrown in to a Metro view for any small operation and then being forced to winkey+d (because just hitting winkey takes you back from the app to Metro and not the desktop) to get back to the desktop are just hampering productivity in the current use case flows.

I really hope the existence of both these interfaces evolves in to something more mature soon. Or at least provide an option to set one as a default and not be forced to use both.

Great work on the engineering efforts towards performance, explorer, task manager, multi-monitor support and native support for ISOs and VHDs.

68. Parth Shah says:

Why doesn't it support HP touchsmart tm2? I get the ACPI not supported error. don't know what that is and how to fix it. help please!

69. LeandroM says:

anyone tried to install in a hp slate 500 ?  I have tried and it fails saying that it's not acpi compatible, but the slate itself runs win7.  anyone ?

70. DanglingPointer says:

@Steven Sinofsky, man you also experienced it.. that’s right! you double posted ! I guess, by now, might have noticed a little hiccup in this blogging system that due to lack of responsiveness and some postback-timeout problem, its unable to post and reflect the comments pronto. Also, sometimes it eats the entire comment for the guest users, depicting unreliability? So, as a practice I use Word to type the comment. Is that what you want? Please ask the telligent guys to fix the issue and give us the smooth experience when it comes to posting the comments on MSDN's B8 and IE-blog.

P.S. On IE Blog, it’s the most common complaint by many users who ever posted comments there.. even the Ted Jhonsan guy (the guy behind the username "ieblog" don’t know but definitely the one responds to the blog’s email) admitted it number of times in comments and in reply for Email To Author, that this blogging system sucks! Call Telligent now and make the blog visitors happy. Thank you !!

71. Squestier says:

@Varemenos : I agree, adding the 99$ HP Touchpad would bring MS a lot of involved Beta testers for the ARM version of Win8 !!!

72. Monica says:

System wide Spellchecker! and SmoothScroll in IE… WOW just ammmmmmazing!

Thank you!

Am I Loving Windows.8 or Windows Octal?

73. Nice. I've been meaning to buy a touch-screen laptop, however now that I see Win8 (and thus feel the urge to go touchscreen), I'm wondering whether it would be wise to do so and then upgrade to Win8, or just wait until Win8 is out there. The concern is mainly over the hardware issues. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

74. I installed W8 on my Q550… works slow, but works well. But… am I stupid or there is not the floating Tablet Input Panel? The new virtual keyboard is GREAT but a non-floating TIP is a VERY BIG STEP FORWARD. Since XP TPCE the TIP is the core of a “true” tablet, you can not leave it in a back position that cover a large part of the screen. There is a lot of great pen-only Tablet PCs out there and without the floating TIP you cannot use it easily… please, tell me that a Windows 7-like TIP will be available in W8.

75. @Steven Sinofsky

76. Gray Knight says:

I have not found a solution on the HP Slate 500's supposed lack of ACPI.  Someone on another forum said it installed on his slate.  So I figure it some setting somewhere should make it work.

77. tic says:

@Sundaravenkataraman and the beta?

milestone 1 > milestone 2 > milestone 3 > Developer Preview > pre-beta > beta 1 > pre rc > Release candidate >  pre rtm > rtm > GA

78. Filip Skakun says:

Installed on a Lenovo ThinkPad T410S (you mentioned you had one in your lab) – no luck getting the multitouch screen driver to behave. The Win7 one does not install and the one packaged with Win8 is super shaky and it does not allow me to tap/click. The thing uses N-Trig DuoSense multitouch digitizer.

79. xyzzer says:

80. Prachi says:

I have installed Windows 8 on my PC. Must appreciate the good work. Start Menu looks awesome and new task manager too. what all a user can hope in windows 8 – http://bit.ly/mRjdbS

81. whateverrr says:

How do you not have the TM2? Or the T101MT? The X61 would be nice also, for that matter.

82. Brian Reys says:

Just a heads up for Mac users out there, you can install and run Windows 8 in VMWare if you don't want to commit to the full Boot Camp installation process. Very easy to do but no touch support obviously.

osxdaily.com/…/install-run-windows-8-in-vmware-mac-os-x

It makes me wish I had a touch screen or that Windows 8 supported the Macs mutli-touch touchpad. I am really liking the Metro, it's very unique.

83. Biffo says:

I have installed it on my MSI CR630 -Tri Core an love and i love it. Thank you guys.

84. Jon Austenaa says:

@Paul

Good idea. They cannot make a mouse+keyboard UI touch friendly without making every object large and bloat away the screen space. So far the ribbon menu system have some elements very large, but most are too small for finger use. I hope they do as you suggest, let the UI dynamically change when the user disconnects from keyboard/mouse, or chooses to do so. There is so much space wasted so far on what I have seen to make desktop more touch friendly, for instance:

huge icons on the ribbon file menu

farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/3011160892_1868a17fd9.jpg

huge task bar which have often almost 70% of its area unused

I really look forward to the explorer QAT and I really hope i can still set the task bar to small icons like win7

jooh.no/web/Windows_7_multiple_small_explorer_windows_file_management.png

Easier and faster to identify programs and explorer folders if I have both a small icon and its name instead of clicking an icon and identifying a thumbnail and then another click.

please please please :)

BTW here's a way to bring back windows 7 start menu on windows 8

85. Parth Shah says:

Are you guys doing to add touchsmart anytime soon? Would love to try it on my touch notebook!

86. Acid3 says:

Can anyone confirm the score of Acid3 on ie10pp3?

87. king83 says:

Adding the Gigabyte S1080 would be nice.

I'm going to try to install it to mine and see how it fares anyhow.

88. Hmm. HP mini 5102 – I've got one of those here, and Windows 8 could be the excuse I need to wipe off all this HP stuff. :)

89. Raj Koothrappali says:

I reply to myself:

Windows 8 will have DirectX version 11.1, I've read it on a .PDF file.

Few new things, as the desktop part of Windows 8…

90. Anybody having problems with Lenovo X201T says:

the driver from Lenovo (win7) wont install as its a nonrecognizable OS… any help?

91. Biffo says:

@Steven Sinofsky

Hey Steven, there is errors with Skype, after install, it won't load when user name and password is typed in. I can't find a give feedback link to tell you guys so I may leave it here.

Can you get some of those guys to fix it?

92. When you guys installed on the Acer Aspire 1420p (PDC), did you get an updated driver for the ST Micro Screen sensor? I have tried installing a couple of different versions, but Windows keeps blocking the driver from starting. Thanks.

93. I'd love to see Apple added to the list. I know a number of Windows devs who use Apple hardware e.g. MacBook Air, myself included.

94. Josh Lyon says:

I installed the Windows 8 Developer Preview on a Panasonic ToughBook (CF-19). I was impressed that Windows 8 recognized the touch capability out of the box, but I was disappointed that the touch input was recognized just like a mouse would be. This prevented me from really being able to try out all the fun touch action that had been demoed at the Build event (horizontal panning, swipe scrolling, etc).

Any time I wanted to scroll, I would have to touch on the tiny little scroll bars (designed for a mouse) and try to drag them around – or use my keyboard and mouse.

While it's not necessarily the scope of this article, I was also disappointed to see that the current build did not extend the use of the center scroll wheel through many apps. I could use the center scroll wheel to move through Start menu, but apps like Headlines, Stocks, and the homescreen of socialite required me to find the horizontal scroll bar and drag it with my mouse.

Additionally, it would be nice if some of those scroll and swipe gestures natively worked with a mouse input. Even more nice would be if Microsoft worked with laptop manufacturers to build those gestures into their trackpads. Using the current Windows 8 build with a trackpad is a bit painful – I always end up pulling out a USB mouse so I can navigate around!

95. hf77 says:

testing 1,2,3 where does the comments go when I submit them?

96. Some One says:

How about Multi-Touch monitors? View Sonic?

97. Some One says:

How about Multi-Touch monitors? View Sonic?

98. Will_Nonya says:

I’ve been using the developer preview on an HP slate 500.  Keeping in mind that this is an early prerelease I think Microsoft has the right concept, the right tools but in typical Microsoft fashion the wrong implementation. I like both Windows 7 and Metro/WP7 but win 8 doesn’t give me the best of either of them.

My ideal scenario for the slate would be this.  When I plug it into a docking station or have mouse, keyboard and monitor attached I want it to be a desktop.  Traditional start menu and all.  Just give me windows 7+.

When I pick it up and walk off I want to be immersed in metro.  When I open apps (metro or not) I want them to behave the same and return me to the metro home screen.  When I’m in Metro I want to be immersed in metro and not constantly be bounced back and forth between metro and the desktop.  If I open something like inkseine ( my fav Slate App) I don’t want to be send back to the desktop, I just want it to open in full screen just like a metro app does.  When I close it I want to go back to metro, where I launched it from, not the desktop.

Incidentally the included ink pad app looks good but doesn’t work as well as inkseine for simple note taking.  Put this front end on inkseine, retain the pen arc and you have a winner.

Of course you could force the switch to either interface but having the system constantly swapping back and forth is far from elegant and while fine for power users not something I would subject a typical user to.

Also don’t be afraid to add some onscreen buttons that take the place of the home and back buttons found on Windows Phone 7 devices.  Hit or miss gestures and swiping for menus just seems unnecessary.

Having the functionality of both PC and Touch is a fantastic way to go but by having both at the same time the user experience suffers.    There are some things I really like in this preview but it seems that the basic use case is wrong.  Draw firmer lines between the two and focus on the strengths of each rather than sacrificing one for the other.

I may spend time working with some metro apps but I’ll probably go back to a touch optimized Win7 for now and give this a pass until there’s been a little more work.

99. Gordon says:

Loading it on my Toshiba R830, amazing kit, fantastic software.

100. Eric burford says:

i got dev preview loaded on my hp slate 500 but cant say everything works,. Mos tiles do nothing

101. Eric burford says:

102. B8Blog says:

@Eric burford  I am guessing you do not have at least 1024x7680resolution

103. Harris Hanifa says:

I'm hoping that later on you guys will include Lenovo S10-3t to the list.

104. Pite says:

If you have 1024×600 display, check this out: social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/7e1e9330-5dbd-40ee-b980-2b97f5820692

I  hope there is a hidden switch under the hood to enable metro apps natively at this very popular touch screen resolution and MS take care of us. Or enable it by default in next build.

105. Rene says:

Installed it on my Asus ep121 eee slate. VERY IMPRESSED! Even though this is just the developer preview it works so much better than the non-touch friendly windows 7! I am keeping this as my primairy OS until the beta and the eventual RTM.

Only thing thats not working are the harware buttons (like the volume rocker and 'home button' on the slate itself. Are there any drivers to remedy this yet???

Also looking forward to a metro file manager, now it still takes you back to the desktop to manage files.

I think you should be able to do everyting you need in Metro if you wanted. Otherwise the Desktop will not be seen as just an App.

Otherwise brilliant experience! 😀 Both thumbs up for the whole team working hard on it!!

106. Rene says:

Also, forgot to mention that Snapping doesnt work. I know 1200 x 800 is not windescreen, but close to it. So it should be possible I think. Hope I'll be able to do this in the final version.

Sorry for the double post!

107. FremyCompany says:

Running Windows 8 in a dual boot on my Acer 1825ptz was a rather bad experience. It now takes me another 15 seconds to boot to my primary, Windows 7 OS. Wifi was not supported, trackpad was badly supported, screen rotation doesn't works (it did in Windows 7), flicks in Desktop mode don't work properly and the erase mode of my (external) magnetic pen are not supported in any Metro app.

*PLEASE* : Is there a way to reset my boot sequence to the Windows 7 one by default?

108. FremyCompany says:

Hum, by the way, would it be possible to support Sharing from desktop app using clipboard (if it contains a simple text or an image) ? That would be a nice enhancement from the current behavior.

109. EtN says:

Just speaking my mind here, but I'm afraid about UI consistency due to the double "desktop environments". Why not take the Metro UI, and add the win7 functionalities? Instead of having a limited Metro UI and having to switch back to the old Win UI…

Does not make sense.

110. I'm the owner of Dell SX2210T, and I really wonder why Windows 8 doesn't include NextWindow drivers. If you want provide "a great experience for touch", including most popular drivers for touch displays is not a desire, but a requirement. Hope to see drivers included in the future builds :)

111. Nanda says:

I am using Dell studio1747. The touch features is not working properly. I tried to install n-trig driver. but the OS doesn't support. any workaround? Thanks

112. tom says:

here  2 suggestions for windows 8

1- it seems to need feature like mission control in mac lion os(you can put a button for it in start bar that slide from the right side of the screen in windows developers preview of tablets) ,which when you click on it you can see all your opened apps in one screen and close any one. in addition each METRO app must have a CLOSE button and Minimize button so you can minimize any app to "mission control" or what you want to name

2- we want tiles to serve as folders so you can put  FILES  or apps in it .

113. jomama says:

microsloth douchebags making more crap

114. dsawyer says:

Back home after //Build/ and want to say Win8 is awesome!  A definite leap over all the others (desktop and mobile).  But will it ship on time to keep the lead? Hurry MS!

115. xpclient says:

–  Having used the Zune HD for many months now, I am loving the Windows 8 login screen and Start screen experiences.

–  It should be possible to scroll using the mouse (or touch) by dragging the background of the Start screen, not just the scroll bar. Will greatly increase mouse usability.

–  Right clicking on the background (or pressing and holding with touch) should do something useful.

–  1280 x 800 should be a supported resolution for Metro/Start screen Snap. Because this is the 2nd most common resolution.

116. Henry Erich says:

Hi,

Is it possible to get a short list or compatible tablets that I can search for to purchase to test my app(s)?

117. Geoge says:

seconded, a short list of compatible tablets would be great

118. Ian Walker says:

Shortlist would be great but can you also indicate sensor availability and compatibility? (specifically for motion but a checkbox of all sensor types would be great!)

119. Ian Walker says:

120. Ian Walker says:

Can you include sensor availability/compatibility in any shortlist you may or may not produce?  (specifically for motion but all would be great).

Thanks.

121. Ian Walker says:

BTW In case anyone else is interested the Acer 1640p (PDC Laptop) plays well with touch in Windows 8

122. Ian Walker says:

Wow, sorry, kept getting 404's on postback then reposting …

123. Shawn Wildermuth says:

I also have the 1747, I wonder whether you guys are having trouble with that hardware too or it is just us.

124. Florian Krüsch says:

+1 on the 1747. Only single-touch so far. I tried with the drivers from Dell and N-Trig, but no luck with 64bit.

125. Mark Hemeon says:

I ran the dev preview for a week on the MSI Windpad 110w (GREAT new hardware)…I'm back on Win 7 till the final beta before the RC is available, not stable enough, looks like Win8 just barely more advanced from Win 7 in this edition…

126. johneford@verizon.net says:

I am running your new Beta "Windows 8" on an Acer W500 and like it very much.  Now I would like to have the touch screen features on my touch screen HP.  I did not see any download opportunities in this blog but I think the new and improved touch screen might improve my HP performance.

John

127. Naveen Gupta says:

I installed the windows developer preview and found it's amazing and many times better than any other OS, i know it is developed to use touch PC's but as i also experienced it and i also want to experience it as touch, So, i would like to say that as you people are working on to get it in the market as it is made for i.e to use as touch OS on compatible hardware then ask the PC manufacturers or Hardware manufacturers to provide a touch transparent screen, which can be use with Screens running windows 7 and it's price range should reasonable so that any layman who can think for a normal PC for windows7 or 8 can go for it.

128. David Lo says:

I just tried out the developer beta on my Fujitsu T4220, and the experience so far is pretty awesome. One gripe that I have is that you can't use the pen to pan the panorama control (instead you have to use the little scrollbars near the bottom of the screen). Is the lack of support for panning via pen a design choice, or simply the result of the developer preview being incomplete?

129. There are a number of comments about Windows 8 multi-touch on the Dell Studio 1747.  It is known that multi-touch does not work with some 3rd party drivers including the one on this device.  There is no workaround at this time.

130. erichunt says:

@Brian Reys  Windows 8 DOES support the Macbook's trackpad, and it works very well, according to this video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch Unfortunately, to navigate left and right on the Metro Start screen, the user has to swipe up and down! Its a pretty major kink, in my opinion. Please fix this, guys!

@Nick Berder I agree with you! I HATED using gestures in windows 7 because they weren't very fun to use, and they weren't smooth or attractive. Ever tried using two finger swipe to zoom in on a windows 7 pc? YIKES! Anyway, I love that the Windows 8 team is finally bringing smooth trackpad interaction to Windows, but it would be great if we could have a trackpad experience similar to the tablet experience. As in, we should have dedicated gestures for bringing up the "charms" and Metro app menus (Swiping into the trackpad from the top/bottom/sides). Perhaps the team could go above and beyond and give us trackpad gestures for Windowskey+tab (three finger horizontal swipes to flip between apps?)  and  Alt+tab (a two finger tap?). Adding such gestures would be great for doing productive work for long periods of time, when switching between the screen and the keyboard wouldn't be the fastest way to navigate. I'm hoping for lots of smooth, reliable gestures in Windows 8, because scroll bars just won't cut it.

131. Drewfus says:

Just out of curiosity, have you ever experimented with an offset touch arrangment? That is, where the activation point is offset a little way to the left or right of the touch point.

The idea would be that the user could see exactly where they were touching (effectively), instead of this point being concealed by their finger. Intuitively, i think the brain could get used to touching the screen xx pixels from the element on the display the user wants to press.

With an offset display and touch 'layers', there would have to be a 'null zone' at one edge, equal in width to the pixel offset, where the user could touch, but is beyond the edge of the display. Vice-versa on the other side. So some pixels are lost, or must be added (depends how you look at it) to the screen, but overall the improved touch accuracy might be worth it.

I'm sure this has been tried – i'm just interested in the usability outcomes.

132. Angheluta Marian says:

HELP me with problem audio sound   " One or more audio service isn't   running "

after check audio devices = Issues not present ,but have instaled  hd audio driver and  when open my sound card see '' No audio devices are instaled"

Please help me  RUNNING  Windows Developer Preview

133. Angheluta Marian says:

Please help me  RUNNING  Windows Developer Preview

134. Érico Porto says:

In my desktop, if you guys are so afraid of the mouse, I would prefer kinect over touch, because touching my really expensive monitor is something I do not want.

135. micahliam20 says:

THIS IS GREAT POST.

<a href="http://www.interlogicindustries.com/">industrial rackmount computer</a>