About this blog and your comments

Thank you very much for the warm reception. It is humbling to see the amount of interest and enthusiasm for the blog and for Windows.  We’ve been digesting all the comments (lots of mail is going around internally about specifics) and I’ve been going through my overflowing inbox (I can’t reply to every message, but I have been replying)!  Thank you.  The most popular question/comment is about “signing up for the beta”.  We will be up front and very visible with any pre-release software programs that you can opt into.  Promise.

As we begin our discussion of building Windows 8 on this blog, two housekeeping topics are worth a post before we start talking about building Windows 8 and the product. We want to be up front about the writing on this blog and provide a view on comments.

This blog is 100% authentic “engineer written” and not a marketing or communications effort. We do not have ghost-writers, editors, or any process that attempts to sanitize the words of folks on the team other than some basic copy editing.

This has the benefit of giving you truly authentic posts that directly reflect the passion of those developing the product. It also means that this blog is not written by professional writers. Some posts will go into a lot of detail. Posts by different writers will all have different “voices.” We ask that folks not be critical of the writing, keeping in mind the direct approach we are taking—I promise you that every writer will take personal comments, well, personally.

We had a long discussion about how to handle comments for Building Windows 8 (“B8”). Our experience with the Engineering Windows 7 blog (“E7″) comments was mostly positive, but a non-zero number of folks abused their direct access to both email and comments. Let’s keep the comments in the spirit of the community and avoid using comments for unrelated topics.

Of course, the primary goal of this blog is to have a two-way dialog, so comments are an important part of what we’re looking for with our blogging efforts. So we opted for the commenting mechanism already used by thousands of MSDN blogs—anonymous comments are permitted, and they appear without moderation. This blog platform employs some minor security measures and a spam filter that we do not control.

That means we are seeking out comments. Everyone on the Windows team will be watching for comments and is looking forward to the dialog. When participating, we will work to make sure Microsoft employees represent themselves as such, especially indicating if they work on the area Windows being discussed. We ask that press (those that write, blog, tweet professionally) identify themselves accordingly as well.

Things we hope to see in comments:

• Lots of on-topic, good, interesting thoughts on Windows and the posts on B8
  • Focus on the content of the post and not just the topic in general—seek out the details
  • Dialog that is respectful and fun

We reserve the right to delete comments or otherwise edit what has been said. Things that will get comments edited or deleted:

• Offensive or abusive language or behavior as determined by a community standard
  • Misrepresentation (i.e., claiming to be somebody you’re not) — if you don’t want to use your real name, that’s fine, as long as your profile name isn’t offensive, abusive, or misrepresentative
  • Repeatedly posting the same comments or agenda, or attempting to fit a specific topic into every post, no matter what we blog about
  • Blog-spam or link-abuse of any kind

We hope these rules will keep the discussion lively and on-topic.

–Steven

1. Matti-Koopa says:

It's nice to hear that you are going the community way like with Win7 again!

It was kinda silent about Win8 so that's great.

I'm looking forward to your posts and of course keep up the work!

2. UCFw00t says:

There's rumors floating around that Media Center is being killed. I don't necessarily care if there's a "media center" but PLEASE include the "10 ft" TV screen view and the ability to record and watch Live TV. I have a CableCARD tuner and LOVE Media Center as a DVR. It really is the best DVR on the planet and if it was further integrated into the platform (like with Zune playback right from the TV UI a-la Xbox 360) it would be even better. If you do plan on killing this feature, at least make it available in it's Windows 7 form.

3. Vinícius Ferreira says:

Hi Guys,

I think that the rules of our "game" are very clear. Let´s play together and enjoy the Windows 8 building.

4. Michal says:

Please, guys make more videos about Windows 8 itself or even some technical talks with W8 devs and designers. Let us peek under the cover a bit 😉 Thanks

5. So glad that you guys are now officially blogging about Windows 8. Looking forward for BUILD developer conference. Go Microsoft!

6. Paul says:

I like the part where you tell us again (just like yesterday) that this is a technical blog and has nothing to do with marketing while at the same time providing exactly zero technical information and doing nothing but talking about how great something that doesn't exist yet really is…

7. Nitesh Maharaj says:

Will we have greater reach into the OS with .net? Platform Invoke can be so tedious. What's happening with Win32?

8. Rod Davis says:

One thing I would like discussed is any speech recognition improvements. Like more commands, etc. "Windows, Update" would be pretty cool to say to that nagging "Updates are now available." Just sayin'…

9. @Rod Davis i think that would be possible. Check that link: http://www.microsoft.com/…/tellme

It's a new Speech recognition technologie.

10. Todd Garrison says:

LOL. I am going to give them a chance to get the wheel spinning before criticizing the postings. There were some awesomely technical posts on the E7 blog. Some of the most fascinating posts weren't strictly technical but provided insight into the engineering process for such a large project.

BUILD cannot come quickly enough but for now BUILDing Windows will have to do.

Steven, can you give us any idea about how frequently you hope to post?

11. Anonymous says:

Yesssss….

I loved the E7 blog and was hoping Windows 8 would have a similar one.

Here we go!

12. jamome says:

Hey @Paul relax!  This is how they kicked off the E7 bloe (Engineering Windows 7) a few years ago: A couple posts to setup the conversation, then they later started saying interesting technical things

13. Denny says:

I would like to know more about the placement of .Net Silverlight and WPF in WIndows 8

for example:

can i write full W8 touch apps with WPF / Silverlight for W8 ?

the first news about W8 only spoke about HTML.

PLEASE CLARIFY!

14. Anonymous says:

As a minor side note, I find the E7 blog much easier to read. It's easier on the eyes and the wide margins on this one seem rather pointless.

for comparison:

Looking forward to this anyways!

15. Anonymous says:

for comparison:

Looking forward to this anyways!

16. SlickNick says:

This is great – thanks guys – have packed in my Ipad 2 and Iphone 4  in huge anticipation for Win8.

Cannot wait!

17. Philip says:

"Of course, the primary goal of this blog is to have a two-way dialog".  If (like many high-profile corporate blogs) all of the commenters are posted readers, then it's not a two-way dialog.  It's an announcement or statement (your blog), and a bunch of snippets of people reacting to it.

If you respond, and create the expectation of  "if I post here I may start a conversation with an informed/empowered person building windows 8" , then you will go a long way to getting better,  more thoughtful, and more mature comments.   Comments and conversations with value.

But, If the perception is "nobody at MS responds to these comments, and probably doesn't even read them", then you will get a bunch of people either saying "cool, that's exciting!" or "Microsoft screws everything up!"   The comments will become nothing more than ways to get heard by other readers, rather than the writers.  I call this "comments as graffiti."

I would love to see a two-way dialog.   And while I'm quite interested and will read the posts either way, if you handle comments with passive silence I will certainly be reading this blog via the atom feed with comments stripped out.

18. Jefferson says:

Congrats for the blog!!

Please do not mesh the metro's design with the 7's design, like we saw in preview video. I know that are many ways to solve this problem and I need to hear from you guys that you are very worried about this!

19. Bruno Horvat says:

Great work guys. This blog is the right way to go. Looking forward to read more from you!!

And so a little wishes…

Media Center must stay! Its a killer feature that all my freinds gets so impressed with, not to metion when I tell them "It´s just Windows…". The one new feature that I would really like added would be support for soft subs in videos. You support it for DVD content but not for MP4 files which is a real shame. Looking forward to what you will reveal about Media Center …

Kep up the good work guys!!

20. I understand that we are moving to the era where the web is playing increasingly critical role in the personal computing as well as our lives as a whole. However, I certainly hope Microsoft will not forget the very reasons why Windows PC is unique in the first place. I certainly welcome the explosion of information and the tearing down of boundaries brought by the Broadband Internet. What I do not want to see is at some point Microsoft actually makes locally installed applications second-class citizens in Windows environments. As much as I appreciate the simplicity brought by the web applications, I also realize that locally installed applications can handle much more complex tasks more efficient and better. How good must it be if we no longer need to manage locally installed applications? Well, if that means that I must live in with PC with less control, it could be nightmares for us. Let’s not forget the PC is more than just a web browser. I simply do not buy the idea that at some points we no longer need locally installed applications. I rather believe that ‘hybrid’ is the way to go.

21. Anonymous says:

@Philip

You must not have read the E7 blog. It was most certainly a two-way dialog. Have a little patience, this blog has been up for ONE day.

22. jerone says:

Can't wait! Keep up the great work. What is the current version number of W8 atm?

23. cod3-monk-3y says:

Congratulations and best wishes! I personally own a Mac and always run Windows on VMWare because I'm a developer. Not related to B8 in particular but I absolutely love C# and that is good enough for me to have my WinBox around me all the time.

One thing I particularly like to see in Windows 8 is revamped Windows Explorer. I understand that everything is moving to cloud but still majority of users manipulate files and folders in their everyday task. Windows Explorer has gone under significant changes since Windows 95/ 98 era but most of them are eye candies. User interaction and the way we handle files and folders haven't changed much. I would like to see some improvement on this. Start with something as tabbed browsing and split views. I know there are extensions out there which do it but they are not seamless. On Mac I use TotalFinder (totalfinder.binaryage.com). Something as simple as this would be awesome. Given that even Mac's Finder sucks badly, it will be a competitive advantage also.

My 2cents

24. realparadyne says:

I'll be very interested to hear of progress with Cleartype, already it can't cope with rotating my desktop monitor so is it being upgraded to deal with rotating the display all the way (vital on a tablet of course) around and RGBW pixel configurations etc.

25. I am really looking forward to being able to download the preview build.

Hassan Voyeau

26. Good morning Mr. Sinofsky, Dominic Green and I would like to help to improve the new Windows will. Could be improved by adding a few more MHz to support speech recognition, multi-touch operation of the PC with LCD screen (thank you if you can). For example, you could insert new icons and the new layout of files on the DVD as a Mac Thanks for your attention. Good job Mr. Sinofsky and Mr. Ballmer.

27. pezzonovante says:

While the idea of posting comments without moderation is great in theory, I don't think that will work here. There are too many fanboys and haters who will make the comments section useless.

So, please consider moderating comments so that only on-topic and civilised discussions come up in the comments section.

28. Maybe a venue for putting forward and discussing our ideas would be nice. In the mean time, don't let the old keyboard shortcuts die! I rely on Windows key + R everyday for just about everything.

29. Mictateur says:

OK guys, it's awesome you're doing that. But I think what's really needed right now is to put a stop to the whole HTML5/CSS misunderstanding. I'm guessing the plan right now is to stay mum until BUILD, but a little official statement like "Don't worry C++/WPF/Silverlight coders, you'll love what's coming!" would go a long way towards reassuring the native devs. 😉

Off the top of my head, some of my wishes for Windows 8 would be:

• ISO mounting support out of the box;
    • cleaning up the whole Zune Client/WMP mess (I want ONE unified kick-ass multimedia player. ONE.);

• integrated Windows Live account (I've seen pictures of the leaked builds, but between a picture and official code running on my machine…) with Windows settings synchronization — Office settings and IE favorites, that's a neat start, but surely you can do better!;

• maybe Win8 will finally be where the Windows Live guys merge Mesh sync storage and SkyDrive? (wink wink nudge nudge);

• getting rid of the few old icons that are still popping up from time to time when digging in obscure folders (nothing like the Add Font joke in Vista, but still);

• nobody's using the location API except Long Zheng and Rafael Rivera. I want my PC to know where it is located (pretty much like my phone but without the GPS), so build awesome location-aware stuff right into Win8 so devs will take notice;

• the Windows family pack's gotta come back and stay. Seriously;

• MUI packs for the Home Premium Editions. Pleeeeeease. I'm begging you;

• system-wide spellchecker for all textboxes. IE is the main reason why we need one outside of Word;

• make your Windows App Store (whatever you call it) so that we don't need 25 updaters everywhere anymore. One central thingie that checks for everyone periodically, and the same UI to update every app. PLEASE. So tired of having half a dozen updaters running in the background for nothing while other every time I load an new app, it's getting in my way by asking me to download the newest version. I mean, I'd like it to work with stuff like games and normal apps, but also codec packs, antivirus software that would check for updated signatures, etc.;

• why Windows Live doesn't seem to get updated via Windows Update is beyond me. I know sometimes WU suggest the new version but we enthusiasts always have to run the installer to get the latest version! Or maybe it's just me.

• can we at last have a free mail client that knows how to handle an EAS-enabled account? My smartphone can do that. My laptop/desktop PCs can't;

• while IE9 is cool and all, if I reboot my PC or if the main iexplore.exe process crashes, all my tabs are gone. Not the case with Firefox;

• nobody knows what Previous Versions is, it would be pretty nifty if you could find a way to surface it so that average users use it too (similar to what Apple did with Time Machine and then Versions);

• instead of saying "Can't delete/move that folder/file, it's in use elsewhere" over and over again, tell us which process(es) is/are blocking that! I know Process Explorer is the second coming, but only nerds know about that tool;

• the explanation for the crossword wallpaper in the current builds…

Oooh, and have some engineer explain in technical details what's happening with MinWin on Win8 in a few months. That's be fun.

OK. I'll stop my ramblings for now. =o)

30. Rajan Zachariah says:

Thx Steven for this blog.

I have a question though. Will Windows8 natively support HTML5-web apps??

31. Panya says:

Can't wait for up coming blogs.

When will your writers publish the first blog?

We gonna have something to read before the BUILD wont we?

32. Marc Wickens says:

Great news… Really looking forward to seeing some interesting posts on here, it seems like hardly any time has passed since you started the E7 blog.

33. Michael says:

Please change the behavior of calc.exe so that the current value is not lost when switching between the modes. Programmer's mode could show the remainder of divisions when its not 0, likewise overflows should be indicated. Unsigned types should be supported too, preferably switchable (would present 0xFC either as -4 or 252 in decimal byte mode).

34. domenicoav says:

Ok 😀

PS.

Media Center is die ? Zune or Media Player in W8 ?

35. Stefan says:

I know It's completely superfluous, but please let us set the color of the tiles, and background on the start screen.

More importantly, give us the option to make the tiles translucent, and use wallpaper.

And if it's not too much trouble, ask the WP7 guys to do the same thing.

Can't wait for W8.

36. Paul O says:

Thanks, Steven. Love the new UI. We are wondering how it will behave on dual monitors.

37. JM_66 says:

I'd like to see the metro design flush with the edges, and not have the cut-off currently designed for wp7.  I know it's for a larger screen cut of 3/5/7 screens…but it's so much cleaner to see the entire heading and not have tiles cut-off at the edge of the screen.

38. JM_66 says:

Oh…and let's not lose the stylus…many professionals use a stylus for signing contracts (not drawing), and it would be a terrible loss to part with this.

39. Stefan Mücke says:

I loved the "Office User Interface Blog" by Jensen Harris. It was so interesting to see how much effort went into the new Office UI and how many prototypes were built. I would love to see a similar blog for the Windows 8 UI and the reasoning behind the decisions you make. Best wishes!

40. Octagon says:

I still have not seen enough of Windows 8 to make any technical comment. However, as many people complain or express fears, let me complain too.

Please make 2 distinct choices for disconnecting a USB device. One must power it off, so that a flash drive that is normally lit turns off the light and an external USB HDD stops. The other one – for devices that do not like being powered off.

41. Octagon says:

And yet another thing. I see both my previous comment and the "If your comment doesn't appear right away, please be patient" in a green box. What prevents the blog engine from knowing if the comment can be seen or not? As far as I understand, this blog is not pre-moderated, so why not turn off the green box altogether?

I also tried to post from Opera and apparently that failed. I know Opera is not very popular, but can the blog engine be made Opera friendly?

42. Cosmin Tataru says:

May I suggest Taskbar Pinning for this blog, please, with a dynamic article list in the jumplist ? Thank you very much !

43. Arseny_Kravchenko says:

> – while IE9 is cool and all, if I reboot my PC or if the main iexplore.exe process crashes, all my tabs are gone. Not the case with Firefox;

You can click "Reopen last session" at the bottom of about:Tabs and the last session will be recovered 😉

44. Arseny_Kravchenko says:

to the B8 team:

Thanks for the blog. Can't wait to test Windows 8. By the way, I saw a video recently that says that in the new Xbox Dashboard it can be set "Discoverable" to allow it to be discovered by "companion devices". Does it mean that a Windows 8 PC can be connected to Xbox in a new way (since Windows Media Center is gone)? I have also both Kinect and Windows Phone 7 and can't wait to see if there are new features related to that in Windows 8.

45. Mictateur says:

Arseny > I wish that feature worked as well as I thought it would. :)

The sad reality is it usually reopens the last correctly closed tab, which generally happens to be… an unwanted pop-up.

46. SeanJenkin says:

@Tuwogaka – the blog platform is pretty aggresive with caching, and as such the comment may not appear until the cache expires and the page content is reloaded. It's normally just 1-2 minutes though before the comment appears. As to Opera support, while we don't get enough traffic from Opera users to justify spending much time testing it, there isn't anything that we are actively doing to stop is being supported. If you can reproduce your comment failing issue, go here blogs.msdn.com/…/contact.aspx and let me know the steps so that I can reproduce it here.

47. Love_Windows 8 says:

looking forward for BUILD conference, hopefully we can see some real progress there. Also, can't wait for beta releases. I have my computer ready for beta test anytime. For what i know, Windows 8 will be an awesome OS to use for both tablet and my laptop.

48. Microsoft Windows 8 will better than all old OS by adding some hot futures into it

49. xpclient says:

IMHO, the offtopic comments come from people (including myself) because Microsoft, at least in case of E7 did not blog about every component in Windows 7. There needs to be more than one topic devoted to every particular component so people can post relevant comments and have a "two way dialog".

@Tuwogaka, in Windows 7 and Windows Vista, you can configure if power to USB devices is turned off on a global or per-device basis. See KB2401954.

50. Just based upon the comments on the few blog posts you have already penned, I feel pity upon your moderators. If you have the ability to designate moderators, and would like a hand, just let me know.

51. Ian D. Samson says:

I grew up with Microsoft from DOS 2.1. Please make B8 reinstallable without having to reinstall all the programs. Also please get rid of OLD updates as they simply hog disk space and do little else. Make it run as fast as possible cross-platform without the need for brand new hardware. Would prefer no HCL, must be backwardly compatible to XP.

52. Looking forward to joining the conversation and seeing where it leads!

53. Great blog, thanks for sharing infos and knowledge with us!

So, I guess you don't have so many questions to answer at (uh?), so here are mines:

• I'm very curious about your opinion about all the other major OS that exist in the market. What do you think about Linux, BSD and MacOS, especially about the technology and the ergonomy they have. Do you make a list of the features of these OS before starting yours, in order to see the evolution of these systems and avoid Windows lacking them? For instance, the multiple desktops, the distribution packages, the compilable kernel, the file systems, and all the detailled features they have, what do you like, what don't you like, and what would you want to get into windows (maybe differently) ?
    • How will you handle the fast evolving technology of online storage areas ? Would you like to integrate them as any other disk in windows ? For instance, if I'm storing some data or executing some apps in the cloud, how will you integrate them as if they were local to the windows system ?

• What are you plans to kill once for all the bloody BSOD ? To you plan to isolate more and more the drivers from the system, in order to be able to recover the system if they crash?

• They're many drivers and applications implemented for Windows 9x or XP that are not working anymore with Win7, and we're sometimes forced to change a hardware that was working perfectly, but that has no recent Win Vista/Seven driver for them… Do you plan to have a more efficient emulation system for old drivers, in order to avoid incompatibilites with drivers done for older version of Windows ?

Why not having a system where I could install a driver for WinXP or Win95 on my Win8 system w/o any problem, assuming that a dedicated driver would be more efficient and faster ?

Same for the applications, from the old DOS games to the Win95 apps that are crashing in Win7 ?

• Will you improve significantly the Media Center part of Win8 ? I have Win7 and a PS3, and I find quite hard to understand and messy the MC features of Win7, so much that I'm still not able to see my pictures or videos in the Media Server component of the PS3 (or my Sony TV) corresponding to Windows.

Instead, I'm using the PS3 Media Server, which is not only sharing all I want with my Sony devices, but also decoding itself in the PC with the installed codecs all the videos I'm watching in my PS3.

What is your response to that, in order to make such features more generic and easy to use ?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

54. Brian Roche says:

Good luck to the team, however I'm not sure using a code (B8) that in many circles can also read as "Bait" is a great idea.  But, the ship has sailed, might as well have fun with it!   We're B8ing people into using a new UI!  :)

55. I have my laptop ready to beta W8, I would like to have it running Office 15 beta running in Windows 8. I would love to test W8 bet. The new UI should be great.

56. mvadu says:

Good to see yet another instance of openness from Microsoft Dev team (along with windowsteamblog, IE blog).

I am only hoping we will have another repeat of Windows 7 blog, and we will have little grown-up discussions here than regular cry baby's. I want "a OS making donuts every day when I wake-up" kind of comments.

I hope people realize that when they say "You have this stupid feature, which is not useful to me, instead you should have done this" they are under estimating the effort Microsoft takes to finalize the list of features included, telemetry data they have collected, moreover many more people who asked for the feature the exact way MS implemented it.

I also hope that people who are not ready to progress beyond Windows-Xp stop reading this blog, and we need not to repeat again and again don't compare 10 year old OS with today's needs.

57. Mark Robinson says:

Being "Bi-System" (using both Mac and Windows machines pretty equally) I really must commend you folks on this blog!  I only wish Apple were as welcoming of it's users!

58. Sourabh says:

Where from I can download windows 8 Beta?

59. Tim says:

I as well would like to know if you guys are going to have a 32-bit version of Windows 8, or if you are going to drop that architecture all together. Thanks for the blog guys!

60. Sam says:

Bring back the ANIMATED GIFS support for pic preview.

This is ludicrous

61. zzz says:

The problem you describe in the post has been solved in many forums already:

They have a topic (or post) for catch-all purpose where the scope of commentary is larger.

For example, if you do not want email about things not already posted about on the blog or comments not relevant to the blog, you should have a post where you state it is "open to comments about things for which we do not have a post". And then link to it in every post just as a reminder that off-topic comments can be posted there. Whether you then decide to black-hole comments to that catch-all post is up to you but of course if you give any hint of such then you can expect off topic comments to resume in other avenues because who'd want to send their feedback on a post no one is going to read?

62. Thomas Lee says:

Nice job so far.  Admittedly, a lot of words without much yet in terms of detail. But a good start.

It's been interesting to see the range of feedback and comments/requests. Lots of requests for stuff you'll never do, some stuff you won't or can't do yet plus the usual range of more way out there comments. I hope you don't censor too much – let the readers make up their own minds!

And thanks Steven for actually responding to some of the comments – nice to see you really are reading and responding.

I hope to see more of what's promised here – and in particular, I'm keen for the cone of silence to be lifted so MS staff can start really engaging in the details of Win8.

63. Glad the conversation is starting and I look forward to everything you have to share.

That being said I would like to see the comments system updated to a modern day comments system that allows users to like comments and/or to allows users to vote one anothers comments up or down. This will allow the users to help prioritize what we think is import suggestions and feedback. Also the ability to reply to individual comments would be helpful too.

64. homework help says:

This  is the nice post..well thinking to post here..thanks for sharing here with us..

<a href="http://www.assignmentsexpert.com/">homework help</a>

65. Patrice says:

@HTMLOnlyNonSense

Not sure why "All while retaining the ability to use your existing apps." is ignored while " Web-connected and web-powered apps built using HTML5 and JavaScript have access to the power of the PC." is thought as meaning "only HTML5 have access to the power of the PC, we dismissed everything else".

I can't believe that some bloggers doesn't have enough common sense to understand that using HTML5 is just an additional option (but then we had in the past the "Managed Vista", "MS pretends IE9 is 100% HTML compatible" and "Silverlight, WPF is dead" misunderstandings among likely much others). Likely it attracts blog readers ?!

66. Signing up for beta testing is a great, near free, method for educating the public on the new OS. Glad to see information will be "upfront".  I Can’t wait to sign up.

67. FireRx says:

Thanks Steven for clearing thing up in regards to the pre- beta :) I excited to one again participate with testing an development of another Operating system. it's been fun since Windows 2000/ NT days. and appreciate the work and innovation that goes into each build.

68. NP says:

I am sorry if I have spoken harshly agiaist the president of Windows Live when commenting on the previous post. However, I am sorry again but I was telling the truth about the state of the Windows Live services and applications. It is bad wouldn't you agree. Even File Transfers in Windows Live Messenger are slow slow slow for 10 years now and every version is the same slowness remains.

69. It's great to once again be able to sense the enthusiasm of the folks putting their time/energy into developing what will become our future desktop.

I only wish I'd found a means to submit one singular idea for W7/W8: ability to turn a window into its own thumbnail-preview and pin that somewhere on the desktop (as oppose to only being able to see it from the taskbar), or at the very least, the option to "pin" any given taskbar thumbnail.

70. bmoura says:

On my Acer desktop PC, it no longer is able to recover from sleep mode after installation of Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

Is improved ability to recover from sleep mode planned as a Windows 8 enhancement ?

71. User Ed says:

I'm glad to see this kind of response. Very encouraging.

72. Pristine says:

Hello.

I wish I could use a dictionary or at least spell-checker built into the system. This would be very handy especially in the internet.

Help non-English speakers to respect the english language (this can be applied to other languages as well)

73. Mike says:

Make sure your replies to comments are threaded in the comment display, otherwise we will never find them given the amount of comments.

74. Pristine says:

Hello.

Have you prevented  "programs from stealing focus in windows"?

This problem is very bothersome. Especially when you are typing something and you notice that most of the words you have typed have been diverted to another window. Or, worse than that you have inadvertantly pushed some buttons in the pop up dialog box! Disaster!

Thanks.

75. Prisitne says:

Hi,

I wish you would change the way modal dialog boxes appead in windows.

Actually I suppose it is more logical the way they are done in OS X in which they are attached to their parent window. Their parent window is still able to move, resize and hide. Besides the modal boxes do not jump into the center of the screen out of sudden and disturb the user and it will be obvious which window they are related to.

76. Pristine says:

Hi,

I wish you would change the way modal dialog boxes appead in windows.

77. Pristine says:

Hi,

I wish you would include;

window snapping;

windows would magnetically snap together when one window moves towards the other very closely (by a tolerance)

78. Pristine says:

Hi,

I wish you would include;

window snapping;

79. I wish windows 8 have support for

ZFS

80. Hi,

I wish for multiple virtual desktops; a future for decades for the Unix and Linux systems.

Even Microsoft Research had an old utility for that!

81. Hi,

I wish for more sophisticated Backup strategy like Timamachine, as well as Versioning and systemwide Autosave.

82. Hi,

Although it seems the emphasis has been on touch devices which usually have smaller screens, I wish for extraordinary support for large dispalys like 24,27,30" and larger.

Should the mouse move 50 Centimeters to reach to the Start Button or Desktop Search box (If there will be any in Win 8)

Or, Should the mouse travel a long distance to reach to X or _ buttons (or even the title bar)  to close or minimize?

It might be easier for example doing a middle mouse click, then a context menu (or more elegenatly an array of floating icons to select) and then whatever action required.

There is always ALT+F4, but why touching the keyboard when it is easier with mouse?

Personally when I am using mouse for example to surf the web pages, I hate to leave the mouse for  keyboard or even worse to extend my other hand to do some keystrokes. Keyboard is better for typing.

Shortcuts are great and they must be added for better user experience, but still sometimes you do not like to touch the keys.

83. Hi,

Should the mouse pointer move 50 Centimeters to reach to the Start Button or Desktop Search box (If there will be any in Win 8)

Or, Should the mouse pointer travel a long distance to reach to X or _ buttons (or even the title bar)  to close or minimize?

84. Hi

I have had this problem many times:

When trying to close an application window the error dialog box says:

a dialog box is open somewhere, please close that window.

Then you have to search through the windows to find the dialog box.

85. Hi,

How many times have you had orphan context menus in the taskbar or the desktop?

Will it be resolved someday?

86. I hope that they improve the system tray  so it does not lose the tray icons at windows boot. They to not show up on every boot.

87. Would like to see in  Windows 8 big improvements to the way programs are uninstalled. As it is right now it still leaves lots of stuff all over the place. It need to undo all the changes it did when you install it by removing all files and folders, setting it changed, and  registry entries. Nothing needs to be left behind.

88. imaggina says:

hi, why don't you make the windows explorer more like the zune software instead of adding the ribbon?

89. PLEASE add Microsoft expression suite into windows 8 to replace publisher this will allow users to get online easily and grow Microsoft’s cloud. Include a marketplace gadget into PC for higher end partner products to low end partners selling products for the Microsoft platform both phone and PC/laptop. Increase addcentre usage include the software application with the OS, actually include all Microsoft offers as trails or full into all devices, make open and easy to manipulate and customize. Google will soon have its own range product including OS for PC/laptop and apple will extend into business products.

90. Looking forward to the blogs and hopefully news on a release build

91. satwant says:

The capital of the states of Punjab and Haryana, Chandigarh is one of the best planned cities in<ahref="http://www.chandigrahrealestate.com">real estate in chandigrah</a>

92. Dear whoever reads this,

I've been a PC since Windows 95 (would have been sooner, but I was born in 95 and that's what my grandmother's computer had while I was growing up) and I've been upgrading with every OS as they've been released (other than Vista, because it came pre-loaded on my laptop which I got after Windows 7 which I instantly upgraded to and refused to install it on the old computer because of a RAM shortage).

The main problem I've had with new operating systems isn't getting used to the new UI, or the OS installing process, or the driver installing process, but the fact that all of my programs and such have to be reinstalled.

I know that with a Windows 7 installation, they're relocated in the "windows.oldprogram files" folder, but with most programs, a simple copying of the files isn't enough as they've got other components in different locations that they depend on (including but not limited to registry, and other programs) or they just need an actual install for another reason. And with some programs like Photoshop, it's not exactly a walk in a dandelion-covered-field, transferring/redownloading brushes, reapplying settings, blah blah blah.

It's not a big problem, but it's highly inconvenient to need to redownload all desired programs and reapply all of the changes to it when upgrading to a new OS. I think if there were a way to change this and make it so users could migrate some of their programs to the new OS when upgrading it would make things easier.

I know for people like myself, it would make things much easier than digging out a dozen other discs and continuing to install things for an additional 3 or more hours. It's also not only about convenience, but availability. If an individual installed a program from a disc which is no longer usable and has no available back-up disc, it may keep that individual from upgrading and improving their Windows experience.

I know I'm typing a novel right now so I'll just cut off my comment at this, and finish it with a smile.

Yours truly,

James

93. Ruchir says:

Hi,

I sincerely hope this comment is read by Steven. I am a kinda dedicated user of Windows since windows 3.11. and don't miss any chance to upgrade to latest OS as soon as it's available to me. I have switched over to Ubuntu for a short duration recently to find out what that OS feels like. I am not writing this comment to tell you what's good, but to tell you, what's not good about Windows.

I am not a programmer or has much of a tech background, so my observation and language is more like an average user with a bit of tech knowledge.

Well, after couple of months with Ubuntu, I have found certain features that are truly needed to make Windows a killer OS.

1. Top of my list is support for multiple WAN system, auto recognition about multiple internet streams available and sources, and option to combine the bandwidth to get enhanced speed. This option is the mail reason for which I switched over to Linux. Linux has a support for this from a long time back, and MS is constantly ignoring this facility from consumer version of Windows. If I am not wrong, this feature is supported by Windows Server version. Then, why not bring this feature to Windows for remaining stand alone machines?

2. Installation process of Ubuntu is pretty impressive. It doesn't stop for user input for customization info like keyboard language, User Name, Computer Name, country and time zone etc etc. In Ubuntu, it continues, while I fed the necessary inputs.

3. Flexibility of uninstalling and removing stuff what we don't want or whatever is not required for a user, ought be much more simplified. At present, there is a hell of a lot of junk on C drive locked down and irremovable by Windows, which keeps on bloating the Windows folder. There should be an option of auto delete the temp files used / generated by Windows / program files, and clean the mess better. I had to resort to use RT7Lite to remove all the unnecessary junk from my Windows 7 setup DVD. Why can't it be done using some built in windows utility itself?? Come on MS, its not that hard… If programmers @RT7Lite can do it, why can't you guys??

4. The Disk Defrag utility is one of the lousiest one I have ever used. I trust Revo Uninstaller much more than your built-in Uninstaller. Ditto for your Defrag Utility. Why can't your programmers wake up to the developments happening elsewhere? Why depend on a 3rd party tool for the job of clean and tidy C drive, why not improve built-in tools of Windows to that level of performance?

5. Windows Media Player still lack some pretty basic codec support. I have to install a codec pack like K Lite Codec Pack or CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack), which comes with free player called Media Player Classic. Why can't WMP have all those codec in built? Second: Subtitles support in WMP is pathetic. It refuses to identify and display most of the standard subtitles formats. Come on MS, your market for Windows is worldwide, and spanned in more than 100 languages around and so is Hollywood market. People love to watch movies of all languages, and not just English. And vice-versa, Hollywood movies are watched by people of non-English speaking countries as well. If we could see the subtitles, it makes the movie lot easier to understand. I live in India (population: 1.21billion, and many people here don't watch Hollywood movies 'cos they can't make sense of English dialogues. Those who do prefer alternate players like VLC/Divx Player/MPC/WinAmp player and a million others.

6. Aero Glass theme is one of the nicest looking interfaces till date for Windows. But why stop at a translucent glass only? Why not make the glass completely transparent when we drag the marker all the way to left in windows colorization menu? I had to take help of other sites and softwares to patch theme files and replace DWM and uDWM.dll files to make glass fully transparent. Though I really don't like to mess with C drive and Windows folder and its contents.

7. I prefer to enable compression in partitions and all the contents within, C drive included. Well it's quite tricky 'cos lots of time it results in compressing boot manager file, forcing me to reinstall the OS, as even recovery disk fails to decompress the boot manager. Why not disable the compression for boot manager all together? No matter what we do, no matter what software we use to compress the C drive, windows will refuse to compress it?? That would save a lot of hassles for an end user.

8. Internet Explorer has a tough competition from Firefox and Chrome. IE is way behind them, from offering useful options to an end user. My suggestion is to study features of FF and Chrome much more closely and offer those features in IE too. Two of the most common features, for which I install FF is tab handling of FF is lot more flexible and offer much more choice than IE (choice to open last open tabs automatically, which is a common sense feature, is still missing from IE even at its 10th avatar.) Level of customization in FF is far superior to IE, especially add-ons, like ad block, and script blocking. Plus java and flash handling of FF is far smoother than IE. I am writing this comment in FF and not IE.

9. Another feature which I think would be good is backing up bookmarks online itself (a-la Google Bookmarks), and including other options offered by software companies like Google and Adobe too, like opening up an email link to Gmail / Yahoo Mail, and not just Outlook/Windows Mail only.

10. Messenger : If you have to include a messenger built into Windows (or WL Messenger too), please make it compatible with other protocols as well. I use Trillian / Digsby because they have facility to log into Gmail / Google Talk / Yahoo Messenger / Yahoo Mail and Facebook, all in one neat package. WL messenger is compatible only with Yahoo. You have a long way to go MS. Though, frankly, I liked the interface of WL messenger. If you offer this functionality as well and integrate into windows itself (like Ubuntu), it will make a complete package, and no further messenger would be required to download.

11. The disk burning utility is unreliable as well. I have to depend on Nero for burning a DVD, purely ‘cos it offers far more flexibility and choices than the built in utility of Windows. If you include similar functionality into Windows, it will make Nero Burning ROM a thing of past.

12. Why are you still continuing with Wordpad and notepad both? Keep one of them only. I have never seen anyone using Wordpad. There are far better free text editors available online, like Open Office. Too bad, I can’t get rid of Wordpad easily.

13. Some of the softwares MS offer are purely duplication of its own products. Like if you improve MS-Paint with all the features of Office Picture Manager and Windows Fax and Picture Viewer, you don’t have to include Office Picture Manager in MS Office at all, that image handling can be assigned to Paint during installing Office, and F&P Viewer can be done away with.

14. Zipping/Unzipping utility needs to be improved with much better handling of files and compression levels, and lots of file formats (at least formats offered by MS itself). My choice of Software is WinRAR or 7Zip.

15. Windows inbuilt partition management utility is pretty basic, and doesn’t offer advanced features, when it comes to creating or deleting partitions of moving partitions on hard drive. I have to install 3rd party tools just to do this job. Please have a look at the advanced features offered by some free software like Paragon Partition Manager or EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition. Time to upgrade your Disk Management Tool too.

16. Device Manager of Windows is pretty dumb as well. When Windows can’t identify a device why can’t it give better clues to what it looks like or seems to be. Playing guessing games with unknown devices in Device Manager might MS’s idea of fun, but not someone who barely understand the complicated technology residing in the chassis of laptops / desktops.

17. Flash and Acrobat Reader are free products already, so why can’t MS tie-up with Adobe and include their technologies within core windows? I guess Adobe shouldn’t object to it, as they are not making money on these 2 products anyway, so rather allow MS to slip them well into Windows.

18. Transliteration (Like Google Transliteration) can be offered in language options or with MS Office Suite. It will surely make life easier for whom, English is second language.

19.  One of most criticized point about Windows is inherent lack of security. The built in Firewall and Anti Spyware / Anti-Virus is not as advanced and trust worthy as those offered by Norton, McAffee, AVG or Avast. I use Avast Internet Security, for level of protection and much more enhanced features it offer. I would rather not trust MS for keeping virus out of my machine any day.

20. There would many more points, if I sit down and make a list of all the features I would want to see, but for now, I would stop at this. My last suggestion (strong suggestion) is pay attention to what those hackers/crackers do to your beloved Windows, and what modification they come up with. They do it not because they hate MS, but because Windows is like jack of all trades. You will gain an invaluable insight, but also real world test and feedback of Windows. Stop shooing them away, partner with them and they will tell you what an ideal (or near ideal) OS would look like. Don’t remain under impression that Windows can’t be cracked. MS has a long way to go, before you reach anywhere near Linux level of security. See the modifications done to Windows 7 on internet. See the amazing level of variety in them. It should have been there already in Windows. I have a copy of .iso image of Windows 7 Ultimate x86 versions which is only 700mb, and occupies only 2.45GB on C drive!!! That’s less than the size of winsxs or system32 folder in standard installation of Win7 Ultimate x86. And it boots in 6 seconds flat!!! Perfect for a netbook!!!

I know it’s a long list of complaint, but it’s necessary to let you know. Hope I will see them (at least some of them) in Windows 8 when it comes to market.

Thanks for reading this long… 

94. Ruchir says:

Oh Yeah, One more feature which I miss, is tabbed Windows Explorer… It's long overdue..

95. windows 8 Dev Pre has doesn't satisfied me too much because Microsoft has only done few changes to WIN 7 do develop windows 8 . Meanwhile a large change in features improvement was seen at the time only when Microsoft windows moved from xp to vista . then Microsoft has done poor works just developed WIN 7 with few features improvement only because vista has failed gaining popularity on pcs . Now same things for windows 8

Microsoft should take a look at apple and their improvements for Mac OS X. take look at here is an application program made my Samsung http://www.samsung.com/…/pcsw

which does same work as a macs airdrop does en.wikipedia.org/…/AirDrop_%28OS_X%29

So Microsoft should take the copyright`s or source code or logic behind the useful apps made by their partner O E M  like HP ,DELL , Samsung, Acer , and much more and invent them to windows 8 . then windows may have great value and popularity over Mac or Linux

bhilare_kaustubha@rediffmail.com

96. windows 8 Dev Pre has doesn't satisfied me too much because Microsoft has only done few changes to WIN 7 do develop windows 8 . Meanwhile a large change in features improvement was seen at the time only when Microsoft windows moved from xp to vista . then Microsoft has done poor works just developed WIN 7 with few features improvement only because vista has failed gaining popularity on pcs . Now same things for windows 8

bhilare_kaustubha@rediffmail.com