IoT sensors are becoming more sophisticated, and as their capabilities increase, the need for more complex processing also increases. Azure IoT Edge extends cloud intelligence to devices by allowing AI and analytics to be run on the device. Simply put Azure IoT Edge provides a streamlined and secure way of deploying components to edge devices. These components can be taken from Azure Machine Learning, Azure Stream Analytics as well as Azure Functions.
This has many practical use cases. Some examples:
- Data Protection and Compliance - previously sophisticated analytics would have been performed on data sent to services running in the cloud where IoT Edge allows for the data to be analyzed without leaving the device.
- Lower latency - some sensor data requires real-time analysis
- Limited bandwidth - pre-filtering data can provide a large reduction in usage costs
- Off-line scenarios - some situations require devices to not be continuously connected to the cloud
Here are some links to get started:
- Azure IoT Edge open for developers to build for the intelligent edge
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning on the Cutting Edge
- Azure Stream Analytics now available on IoT Edge
- Azure Functions on IoT Edge