IoT Development in Azure

Welcome to our latest blog for Azure Developers, new and old.

I’m honoured to be asked to help start his blog, and to wax lyrical about some of my favourite time and money saving technologies!

If you develop your solutions using Azure, we hope to keep you in the loop with anything you can’t afford to miss, but are too busy being awesome!

As you will guess from my username, I have been XAML’s biggest fan, from conception. When Microsoft made Silverlight, they walked out the office and threw away the key, because it was so flexible there was nothing left to do. That’s my version of events, anyway 🙂

These days I am spread between UI, server, data & cloud, as I obsess over building automation and control. It is full circle for me, as it was over 30 years ago that I blew up my ZX Spectrum, trying to wire our 12v front door bell to its RS232 serial port :/  I learned some valuable lessons from that!

When I want to spin up something quickly these days, I wouldn’t waste time and money on hardware, or risk a valuable gaming machine like my Specky! I just log into Azure and create a Web App, or just create and publish directly from Visual Studio. All the pain taken out. Maintained, protected, eco-friendly, pay as I use, monitored, and just always there! In fact it’s Microsoft’s SLAs that make Azure most attractive to me. I can assure my clients the maximum stability and recovery. Always the undeniable deal clincher.

If I need an IoT solution, Microsoft provide Event Hub, IoT Hub, Stream Analytics, Power Bi, and so much more around automation and monitoring. In fact they have even gone the extra mile for developers; IoT Suite is a deployment tool that takes all the pain out of setting up these tools – the raw fabric of your IoT solution.

Within a few clicks (and a cuppa while everything gets created for you) you have all the components you need for collecting, storing and monitoring your device data. IoT Suite even demonstrates mechanisms like Rules and Alerts.

Once you have spun up a solution with IoT Suite, you can then pull it apart and change anything you like – depending on your actual scenario and requirements. If this interests you, you may find these “IoT Suite’ners” useful in navigating the configuration:

For developers, a great final treat (and time saver) is that when you’re finished playing with your IoT Suite demo/prototype, you can delete everything that was created by simply Deleting the Solution that IoT Suite created, which deletes everything in the solution’s Resource Group and the AAD instance created for it!

Neat and Tidy! Tidy and Neat!

Thank you for reading this and please do pop in when you can.

If you have a voice and want to help us helping you, then please comment below as often as you can. So we can learn who the current community leaders are, what you use, and need from us.

Best regards,
Peter Laker (XAML guy/Pedro)

1. chilberto says:

Thanks XAML guy – appreciate the info. The kids got a Raspberry Pi for Xmas. It is still in the box so maybe there is a project for me there instead…

1. Awesome! Fun family project. =^)

2. Pete Laker says:

I will definitely be blogging about rPi, Arduino and other widgets that can talk to Azure.

For example, I have a tiny Arduino Nano, feeding off our house’s alarm box inputs and passing all that sensor data up to Event Hub.

3. Kishore1021 says:

Pi is very interesting and Azure IoT integrates very well to read sensor data from Pi. There is a step by step guide on how to use the power of Azure to interact with Pi at https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/build-smart-doorbell-windows-10/

1. Pete Laker says:

Thanks Ed. For Azure links, I’m trying to pick developer ‘get stuck in’ jump start pages, rather than the usual top level home pages. Just to try and save people a couple of clicks, before they get to the inspiring example code pages. I’m assuming our audience are not complete novices.

2. Nice intro to IoT Suite, Peter. Looking forward to playing more with it myself.

3. Hongyu CHEN says:

Thanks XAML guy,
    There is one little question for your post.
    For adding new device, I try to add a new document into DocumentDb without “IoTHub”, it still works !!!
    Hope to get answer form you.

1. Pete Laker says:

Yes, you can add it manually to the DocumentDb, and it will show in the list. This is just the Web App showing what it finds in the database.
      But you cannot pass any actual telemetry or commands through IoT Hub, simulated or real, because you have not authorised the device and obtained the registered ConnectionDeviceGenerationId.

Regards,
      Pete

1. Hongyu CHEN says:

Thanks for your answer, but I still feel confused. Hereafter is the detail procedure about what I have done.

Step 1 : Added a new device fro, IOT Suite web portal
        Step 2 Keep the device key
        Step 3 : Modify the document in DocumentDb manually, start the simulated device with the device key just keep. The content of document is as listed, I only change the “DeviceProperties.HubEnabledState” to be true and “DeviceProperties.UpdatedTime” to current time.

{
        },
        “Commands”: [],
        “CommandHistory”: [],
        “IsSimulatedDevice”: false,
        “id”: “12880d9a-808a-4d89-940b-7fc55d5ef4e4”
        }

Step 4: The simulated telemetry is shown on the website !

Best Regard,

Hongyu CHEN

4. Ben Weeks says:

Had a play around with the MKR1000? Supporting encryption and direct communication to Azure looks like it’s going to reduce effort in developing solutions somewhat 🙂

Skip to main content