Receiving German Characters in the EDI message received by Biztalk 2006 R2. We have set the character set to "Extended" in the receive pipeline but it still fails in the receive pipeline.
Found that the char set ‘Extended’ does not include the complete iso8859-1. It implements subset of the 8859-1 . The following is the list of characters in integers that we support/consider under `Extended` 32-93, 95, 97-126, 161, 191-194, 196, 199-202, 204-206, 209-212, 214, 217-220, 224-226, 228, 231-239, 241-244, 246, 249-252. The list of characters that we support under `Extended` are clearly a subset of ISO8859-1. For all chars outside of this list, we should use UTF8. We found that the messages received by Biztalk was not proper UTF8 as it was missing BOM headers. Once we added the BOM headers it worked with character set UTF8.