Fixing a .NET Framework 4.5.1 detection logic problem on Windows 8.1

Last week, I posted an updated version of the .NET Framework setup verification tool that supports verifying the .NET Framework 4.5.1. This past weekend, a customer reported a problem where the tool wasn’t correctly detecting that the .NET Framework 4.5.1 is installed on Windows 8.1. The .NET Framework 4.5.1 is installed as a part of the OS on Windows 8.1, and it isn’t possible to uninstall it, so there had to be something wrong with the detection logic in the tool.

After some investigation, I discovered a problem with the detection logic that is documented in the .NET Framework 4.5.1 Deployment Guide for Developers. The deployment guide says that an application can test whether the .NET Framework 4.5 or later is installed by checking the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full folder in the registry for a DWORD value named Release. A value of 378758 means that the .NET Framework 4.5.1 is installed. This logic works correctly for the redistributable version of the .NET Framework 4.5.1. However, on Windows 8.1, the Release value is set to 378675 instead, so this logic doesn’t work on Windows 8.1.

I have updated all of the following tools and samples to correctly detect the .NET Framework 4.5.1 in both the redistributable case and the Windows 8.1 OS install case:

1. phillip says:

The tool didnt work for me removing 4.5.1 from windows 8.1

2. astebner says:

Hi Phillip – On Windows 8.1, the .NET Framework 4.5.1 is installed as a part of Windows and you are not allowed to uninstall it.  The cleanup tool does not allow you to attempt to remove versions of the .NET Framework that are installed as a part of Windows.

3. Phillip says:

Oh okay. Thanks for the reply

4. Thomas says:

Hi Aaron.

Is there any way to set my V4.5.1 back to V4.0 Full ?

5. astebner says:

Hi Thomas – In order to revert from the .NET Framework 4.5 or 4.5.1 back to v4, you need to fully uninstall 4.5 or 4.5.1 and then re-install v4.

One note too – you cannot revert to v4 on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.  Windows 8 comes with the .NET Framework 4.5 installed as a part of the OS and it cannot be uninstalled, and Windows 8.1 comes with the .NET Framework 4.5.1 installed as a part of the OS and it cannot be uninstalled.

6. Yudhi says:

Hi Aaron,

Just how does this tool works on .Net Framework detection?

I'm using Windows 8.1 SL now (which mean it comes up with .Net Framework 4.5.1 pre-installed on it?)

but when I'm using NePA 4.2, the program said that I don't have any .Net FW v4 (that those program needed to run properly)

How can I fix this?

7. astebner says:

Hi Yudhi – The tool uses registry keys documented in the .NET Framework deployment guides to determine whether or not each version of the .NET Framework is installed.  You can look at the exact logic by downloading the sample code described at blogs.msdn.com/…/9763379.aspx.

If you have an application that doesn't correctly detect the .NET Framework install state, you'll need to contact the manufacturer of the application to see if they have any known issues, workarounds or patches available to fix that issue.

8. Yudhi says:

Hi Aaron,

thanks for the reply..

but I don't have any VC++ installed on my laptop, how can I compile the script and create executable files?

would you mind to create the executable file instead of cpp file? (if possible)

thanks

9. astebner says:

Hi Yudhi – You don't need to compile the sample code.  I sent you the link to that sample code so you could see the exact logic used by the verification tool to decide whether or not the .NET Framework is installed.  Running the verification tool and looking at the log file that it creates will tell you what versions of the .NET Framework that it detects on your computer.

10. Thomas says:

Hi Aaron.

Thanks for your answer! But I indeed use W 8.1, so I guess I just have to wait for the program I want to use to update. Too bad it's not possible to downgrade.

11. astebner says:

Hi Thomas – In that case, I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer of the program that you want to use to see if they have any patches or workarounds that allow their program to run correctly on Windows 8.1.

12. Martin says:

Hi Aaron i have win 8.1, in visual studio when opening sln targeting 4.5 framework i am getting error that i don't have installed 4.5 framework…. but when i tried to install it i get "it's already installed".

.NET Framework cleanup tool – not working in 8.1

.NET Framework setup verification tool – and here is every net framework version succesfuly checked from v. 2 to 4.5 and 4.5.1

any advice?

13. astebner says:

Hi Martin – When you see an error in Visual Studio about a version of the .NET Framework not being installed, it is referring to the .NET Framework multi-targeting pack that is used by the Visual Studio build process, not the .NET Framework itself.  What exact version(s) of Visual Studio do you have installed on your computer?  Also, what exact version(s) of the Microsoft .NET Framework Multi-Targeting Pack do you have installed on your computer?

The .NET Framework cleanup tool is supported and should work fine on Windows 8.1.  Can you please provide more information about what you mean when you say it is not working in 8.1?

14. Martin says:

hi, multi-targeting pack solved my problem.. thanks

for cleanup tool:

i run it 3 times (3 time restart) and all versions of netframeworks were still there.

(now i understand that i didn't need to do it)

at the top you said that 4.5.1 is part of os installation and can't be uninstalled.

a) do you mean that only 4.5.1 can't be uninstalled and cleanup tool should still work for others version

b) or that all versions cant be uninstalled and that cleanup tool work differently than un.. and cup tool should still work.

15. astebner says:

Hi Martin – I'm glad to hear that installing the appropriate multi-targeting pack(s) resolved this issue on your computer.

Regarding the cleanup tool – it doesn't allow you to remove any versions of the .NET Framework that are installed as a part of the OS.  On Windows 8.1, the .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.5.1 are installed as a part of the OS (although 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are off by default).  Also, the .NET Framework 4.5.1 is a full replacement for the .NET Framework 4 and 4.5, so those versions are treated as a family by the cleanup tool.

As a result, the cleanup tool will only allow you to remove the .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 on Windows 8.1.

16. Jay says:

I am running windows 8, I have installed .net framework 4 and 4.5 both to which your tools say that they are installed, however none of my .net programs run, they just say "* has stopped working", here is my log of setup verification, please help.

17. astebner says:

Hi Jay – The log from the verification tool shows that the .NET Framework 2.0 is failing at startup, which will cause all .NET applications that use that version of the .NET Framework to fail to start.  It looks like the .NET Framework 4 is working as expected though.  I can't tell from the log why the .NET Framework 2.0 is failing in this way though.

The .NET Framework 2.0 is installed as a part of the OS on Windows 8.  Here are some steps that I typically recommend to try to repair versions of the .NET Framework that are installed as a part of the OS:

1.  Install the latest Windows service pack if you haven't yet. In your case, there isn't a service pack, but Windows 8.1 is essentially a service pack for Windows 8, so it might help to install that.
    2.  Try to run the System Update Readiness Tool from support.microsoft.com/…/947821.

3.  Try to repair the files that are a part of your OS by using the steps listed at blogs.msdn.com/…/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx.

If none of the above help, you might need to repair/re-install Windows to fix this type of error.  It might also help to post a question on one of the Windows forums to see if someone there has any additional suggestions for you to try before you resort to re-installing Windows.

18. Kp says:

I am not such type of computer user but there comes some defect in my laptop when I open it. I tried to install it again without uninstalling but it is helpless.

19. astebner says:

Hi Kp – What is the exact defect you see when you open your laptop?  If you're seeing an error message, can you reply and post the exact text of the error so I can try to help narrow this down?

If you are running into a .NET Framework installation problem, can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

20. Zack says:

I really need a way to downgrade .Net 4.5.1 to simply 4.5. The application I'm working with requires 4.5 and if it has 4.5.1, it does not install. Any way to help?

21. astebner says:

Hi Zack – The only way to downgrade from the .NET Framework 4.5.1 to the .NET Framework 4 or 4.5 is to fully uninstall the .NET Framework 4.5.1 and then re-install the .NET Framework 4 or 4.5.

As a side note – the .NET Framework 4.5.1 should be compatible with all .NET Framework 4.5 apps.  If you have an app that will not install if you have the .NET Framework 4.5.1 instead of the .NET Framework 4.5, that is likely an application compatibility bug with the app you're trying to use.  I'd suggest contacting the app's manufacturer to see if they have released any patches or new versions that solve that problem.

22. Ahmed says:

Hi Aaron,how do I fix following error.

WindowsMicrosoft.NETFRAMEWORKv2.0.50727cvtress.exe

Unhandled Exception!

Application will be terminated.

I went through all the blog and did apply those NET Framework cleanup and setup verification tool. I am still getting same error. Please help!

23. astebner says:

Hi Ahmed – What version of Windows do you have on your PC, and what exactly are you doing at the time that you see this error?  Does it only happen when you run a specific .NET application, or does it happen when you run every .NET application on your PC?

24. Ahmed says:

I have windows 8 and this error is running while there is no application active at all, even after restarting the computer I get the error while window is idle.

25. astebner says:

Hi Ahmed – It is possible that this problem is being caused by an application running in the background on your computer as opposed to the .NET Framework itself, but it is hard to tell for sure based on this information.

Windows 8 includes the .NET Framework 2.0 as an OS component, and here are the steps that I typically suggest that people try if they need to repair a version of the .NET Framework that is an OS component:

1.  Install the latest Windows service pack if you haven't yet.  In your case, this would be Windows 8.1.

If none of the above help, you can also try to use steps like the ones at blogs.msdn.com/…/disabling-services-with-msconfig-to-work-around-setup-failures.aspx to selectively disable some applications on your computer in order to see if the error is coming from a specific application.

26. kashifs433 says:

how to install .net offline in windows 8.1

27. RichardKallay says:

Aaron, question about 4.5.2.  It looks like 4.5.2 was released on May 5th.

blogs.msdn.com/…/announcing-the-net-framework-4-5-2-release.aspx

4.5.2 is also an in-place update to 4.5.1, and has a different Release registry value of 379893.

It appears that the Release value is an increasing number for every new .NET update.  Do you know if we can rely on that Release value always increasing for every new release of .NET?

28. astebner says:

Hi RichardKallay – I think it is safe to assume that the Release value will be higher in each new in-place update within the .NET Framework 4/4.5 product family.  However, there isn't any official documentation stating that this will be the case, so you should be cautious about relying on that assumption.  What kind of logic are you thinking of implementing that would require you to know the answer to that question ahead of time?

29. RichardKallay says:

Thanks for your reply Aaron.

We have an automated install process which will silently install .NET 4.5.1, since 4.5.1 will be the minimum .NET release for our code base.  Our automated process will only install .NET 4.5.1 if it sees that the registry indicated by msdn.microsoft.com/…/hh925568(v=vs.95).aspx tells us that 4.5.1 is not installed.  We are currently checking for the Release values of 378675 and 378758 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftNET Framework SetupNDPv4Full.  Those Release numbers correspond to 4.5.1, but were concerned that someone might install 4.5.2 on a device.  We would like say "if the Release is 378675 or higher, 4.5.1 or higher is already installed", and not have to update our install process for every new Release number.  Hope that clarifies.

30. astebner says:

Hi RichardKallay – Thanks for the detailed explanation of your scenario.  It is safe to use a greater than or equal than check for the Release value for a particular version family of the .NET Framework like in your scenario.  Even if future updates to the .NET Framework 4/4.5 do not update the Release registry value, the logic you describe will cause your install process to behave the way you would want it to.

31. steveh says:

Hi Aaron, how's things? Attempting to install office 2013 Professional, & box appears with heading; "Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5.1" stating; " Your install will not occur"  "reason"; –  "The .NET Framework 4.5 and this update is already installed on your computer."  I have Windows 8.1 / 64 bit & am wishing to install Equiv 64 bit Office  2013 ? Thx for your help…

32. astebner says:

Hi Steveh – The error message is correct in this case – the .NET Framework 4.5.1 is included as a part of the OS on Windows 8.1.  Application installers are supposed to detect this and not attempt to install the .NET Framework 4.5.1 in this scenario.  It sounds like something might be wrong with that detection logic in Office 2013, but I'm not familiar enough with the Office installer to be able to suggest workarounds.  I'd suggest posting a question on the Office setup forum at answers.microsoft.com/…/office_install to see if someone there has any ideas for you to try out.

33. umair says:

hey.. while launching a game far cry 3 in win 8.1 am getting this error…The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b)…but the game is runing on win7..plz help

34. astebner says:

Hi umair – This sounds like a problem with the game as opposed to a problem with the .NET Framework itself.  I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer to see if they have any known compatibility issues and/or patches for Windows 8.1.

35. anyone says:

upgrade to 4.5.2

36. Charrissa says:

Hi,

i cant seem to figure this out. i had gone to play a game and it said i didn't have this framework. i went to install it and my computer said it was already installed on my computer. i have tried all the uninstall/re-install steps that Microsoft offered and nothing has changed. i have windows 8, please help.

37. astebner says:

Hi Charrissa – Windows 8 includes the .NET Framework 4.5 as a part of the OS, and it isn't possible to uninstall it or re-install it separately from Windows itself.  If the game is saying that the .NET Framework 4.5 is missing on Windows 8, it could be one of the following problems:

1.  The game installer has an application compatibility problem on Windows 8.  I'd suggest checking on the web site for the game's manufacturer to see if they have any known issues or patches for Windows 8.
    2.  The registry keys used by the game installer to detect the .NET Framework are missing from your computer for some reason.  You can figure out if this is the case by running the .NET Framework setup verification tool from blogs.msdn.com/…/8999004.aspx and seeing if it reports any errors.

It might also help to install the latest update for the .NET Framework, which is the .NET Framework 4.5.2.  You can download and install it from http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx.

38. Sourabh Lal says:

hi, i have win 8 pro running and i dont have any microsoft.net installed on my comp. but the setup of ms.net 3 and 4 shows so please help me by messaging me at souarbh.kmr52@rediffmail.com and please dont post my ans on this blog!!!

39. astebner says:

Hi Sourabh Lal – I prefer to answer questions like this in the comments sections of my blog posts so that other people who run into similar issues in the future can find the solutions.

Windows 8 comes with the .NET Framework 4.5 installed as a part of the OS, and it isn't possible to uninstall it, so you have to have at least that version of the .NET Framework installed on your PC.  The .NET Framework 4.5 is a full replacement for the .NET Framework 4 (essentially, that means that the .NET Framework 4.5 is a service pack for the .NET Framework 4).  So, there shouldn't be any need to install the .NET Framework 4 on Windows 8 because all .NET Framework 4 functionality is already included as a part of the .NET Framework 4.5.

Windows 8 also comes with the .NET Framework 3.5 as a part of the OS, but it isn't installed by default.  You can install the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8 by using the steps listed at msdn.microsoft.com/…/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx.

40. Michael Findlater says:

Hi Aaron, I've read through all these posts trying to figure out my problem.  I have just reinstalled Windows 8 and then upgraded to 8.1 through the Windows Store.  Our .NET projects when I load them now say "The C# project "x" is targetting ".NETFramework, Version=v4.5.1, which is not installed on this machine.  To proceed, select an option below:

Change the target to .NET Framework 4.5.  You can change back to ".NETFramework, Version=v4.5.1" at a later time.

Download the targeting pack for ".NETFramework, Version=v4.5.1". The project will not change.

Do not load the project.

I have tried option 2 many times installing 4.5.1 Runtime and SDK and 4.5.2 as well, and nothing works.  I've uninstalled them all since I've read your blog that 4.5.1 comes with Win 8.1 and you can't change it or uninstall it… I've uninstalled completely Visual Studio 2012 and restarted and reinstalled it and I get to this same window that doesn't allow me to proceed.  I can't change the target as this code is in source repository for other team member development and so I don't want to change it so it works on my machine only.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Michael

41. astebner says:

Hi Michael Findlater – You will need to install the .NET Framework 4.5.1 multi-targeting pack to resolve this issue.  You can download it from http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx.

42. Michael Findlater says:

Hi Aaron thanks.  I have already done this and it didn't solve my problem.  Also your link is not bringing up anything for me.  Can you tell me which one on this page I should be installing as I have tried several and uninstalled them as they didn't help.

blogs.msdn.com/…/dotnet_sdks.aspx

Thanks

Michael

43. Michael Findlater says:

Hi Aaron,

sorry that actually worked for me… that page brought nothing up in Google Chrome for some reason but in Internet Explorer it worked and I downloaded it and it solved my problem.  I am sure I have installed this one before so maybe it was me uninstall vs 2012 then doing this in that order that helped, not sure.  But thank you!

44. Andrew says:

Can Microsoft not get it together to have the latest version of .Net be a required update, eg. included into services packs.

Then all of this nonsense could just go away.

When I am trying to get a customer to install a piece of software, this is the last thing in the world that I want to be making them have to deal with.

It is probably killing 1000s of innovative projects on Windows that might otherwise succeed.

45. astebner says:

Hi Andrew – The .NET Framework 4.5.2 contains all of the latest fixes for the .NET Framework 4, 4.5 and 4.5.1.  So I think this is essentially what you are talking about for the .NET Framework 4 product family.  Older versions of the .NET Framework are intentionally designed to be installed side-by-side, so there isn't one version of the .NET Framework that you can install that includes functionality from every previous version.

46. GrIm ReAp3r xX says:

hey I am having an issue on Windows 8.1, Now I got the latest versions of Net Framework, but when I go to launch any program that relies on framework, it comes up and says cannot start, need net frameowrk 4.5 or higher but yet I have the latest ones installed.  I tried repairing it etc done iagnostics and still no luck, please help me :(

47. astebner says:

Hi GrIm ReAp3r xX – What is the exact error message that you're seeing in this scenario?  If you haven't yet, I'd suggest installing the latest update for the .NET Framework 4 family, which is the .NET Framework 4.5.2.  You can find that at http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx.

48. Joseph Warui says:

Have been using win 8.1 and I can't install an Archicad software I had been using previously in win 8 pro. I couldn't figure out what the problem was until a friend suggested it might be a .Net Framework issue. For some time now, my OS has really been having such problems with many warnings and yet I have activated .Net Framework ever since I installed my OS. Even the latest Archicad can't install yet I need it. Please help.

waruinjue@gmail.com

49. astebner says:

Hi Joseph Warui – Without knowing more details, it is hard to say if this is a .NET Framework issue or an application compatibility issue with the Archicad software you're trying to use.  What is the exact error that you're seeing?  Also, do you see .NET Framework-related errors when trying to run other applications on this computer, or is the issue limited to Archicad?

If you haven't yet, I'd recommend searching on the web site for the application's manufacturer to see if they have any known issues or patches related to running the application on Windows 8.1.

50. Mady Mussa says:

Hi Aaron,

I have windows 8.1 pro portuguese, when i try to run a apps called "OnMOFA" says:

" This application require one of the following version of the .net framework

version=4.5. Do you want to install this .net framework version now?".

Please help.

51. astebner says:

Hi Mady Mussa – Windows 8.1 includes the .NET Framework 4.5 as a part of the operating system, and there is not a way to uninstall it.  In my past experience, when an application shows this type of error, it is typically caused by a .NET Framework detection logic problem in the application, not by a problem with the .NET Framework itself.  I recommend searching on the web site for the application's manufacturer to see if they have any known issues or patches for this issue.

52. john says:

i have win 8.1 and am getting the .net v4.0.30319 error.i cant reinstall it as it is pre installed.but my apps are not working.when i tried to install multi threading pack 4 it is blocked..Please help me….

53. astebner says:

Hi John – What is the exact error message that you are seeing, and do you see this for all .NET applications, or only for one specific application?

It might help to install the .NET Framework 4.6 – it is the latest update for the .NET Framework 4 family and nearly all .NET Framework 4, 4.5, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 applications are compatible with it.  You can download it from http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx.

I think you mean the multi-targeting pack, not the multi-threading pack.  If so, that is only used within Visual Studio if you want to build applications that target different versions of the .NET Framework.  You don't need the multi-targeting pack to run your applications after they've been built.

54. Steaven says:

Hi Aaron,

Uninstalled .NET framework using the cleanup tool(Windows 10).I again tried to re-install .NET frameowork 4 and it says that it is already installed.I can't even install some drivers because they say that.NET framework is required.

55. astebner says:

Hi Steaven – Windows 10 includes the .NET Framework 4.6 as a part of the OS, and you cannot remove it or repair it separately from Windows itself.  The .NET Framework 4.6 is an in-place upgrade that replaces all previous versions in the .NET Framework 4 family (the .NET Framework 4, 4.5, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2).  That's the reason why trying to install the .NET Framework 4 standalone installer tells you that it is already installed.

In most cases, if you try to install an application or driver and it says that the .NET Framework is not installed when it actually already is installed, it is an application compatibility issue with the application/driver installer.  I'd suggest searching on the web site for the driver manufacturer to see if they have an updated installer that will work correctly on Windows 10.

56. John Christian says:

I am using W7 x64 Ultimate and testing under VMware Player.  I used install_wim_tweak to remove Microsoft-Windows-NetFx3-OC-Package.  The application says all went OK (DISM Get-Features does not show NetFx3) but WUD still finds many updates for .NET 3.5.1.  I ran your cleanup tool (6.0.3790.0) and it shows:

[09/01/15,12:27:56] Install state for .NET Framework 1.0: not installed.

[09/01/15,12:27:56] Install state for .NET Framework 1.1: not installed.

[09/01/15,12:27:56] Install state for .NET Framework 2.0: installed with service pack 2.

[09/01/15,12:27:56] Install state for .NET Framework 3.0: not installed.

[09/01/15,12:27:56] Install state for .NET Framework 3.5: not installed.

[09/01/15,12:27:56] Install state for .NET Framework 4 Client: not installed.

[09/01/15,12:27:56] Install state for .NET Framework 4 Full: not installed.

[09/01/15,12:27:56] Install state for .NET Framework 4.5: not installed.

[09/01/15,12:27:56] Install state for .NET Framework 4.5.1: not installed.

[09/01/15,12:27:56] Install state for .NET Framework 4.5.2: not installed.

[09/01/15,12:27:56] Install state for .NET Framework 4.6: not installed.

Your readme says I cannot remove 3.5 because it comes with W7.  I suspect this is why WUD still finds many updates for 3.5.1.  Is there any way to really remove all version (except for 2.0, perhaps)?  I would then install 4.6 only.  Thanks for any suggestions.  Enjoy, John.

57. astebner says:

Hi John Christian – I'm not positive, but my guess here would be that Windows Update detects that you're running Windows 7 and offers .NET Framework 3.5 updates because the .NET Framework 3.5 comes with Windows 7 and there isn't an officially supported way to remove it, so Windows Update assumes that those .NET Framework 3.5 updates apply to your PC.  You will likely need to just hide/ignore those updates for the type of scenario that you describe.

58. Glenn says:

Hi Aaron. Your blog looks great so I'll give it a try. I'm running windows 10 and I'm getting a "CLR error: 80004005" message which I gather is a problem with .NET. I understand that you can't uninstall it because it's part of the OS. The repair tool did nothing, the clean tool did nothing and the verifier failed during the application test on every version down to .net 3.5. When I try to re-install .net, it says its already installed. I bow to your wisdom.

59. astebner says:

Hi Glenn – Here are the steps that I typically suggest to repair versions of the .NET Framework that are installed as a part of the OS:

1.  Install the latest Windows service pack and updates if you haven't yet.

If none of the above help, you might need to repair/re-install Windows to fix this type of error.  It might also help to post a question on one of the Windows forums at answers.microsoft.com/…/windows to see if someone there has any additional suggestions for you to try before you resort to re-installing Windows.

60. mohamed says:

i have aproblem with setup of all games that have black box repack setup

when i try to open set up file it crashes after seconds of downloading in 0.6% or at another game at 3.5% all games didn`t complete first 10%

and this message shows up : black box setup has stop working

widows is checking for solution then

a problem caused the program to stop working correctly .windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

and have only one tap of close program .

i searched online for a solution but nothing .all says that the problem in .net framework

i tried to install "dotnetfx45_full_setup" that comes with the game it keeps telling me this

1.Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is already a part of this operating system.  You do not need to install the .NET Framework 4.5 redistributable.

2.Same or higher version of .NET Framework 4.5 has already been installed on this computer.

or in another game that have "dotNetFx45_Full_x86_x64_SlimSetup" after extraction tells that:

microsoft .net framework 4.5 is already a part of this operating system .but is currently turned off . to enable the .net tramework 4.5 use turn windows features on or off in control panel.

so i go to features and check the first two then restarted the pc but still say that

i tried to do manually by cmd with this path :DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:C:sxs

but nothing happen still have this annoying messsage .pleeeeeeease heeelp :)

61. astebner says:

Hi Mohamed – I'm not familiar with Black Box Repack Setup, but the issue you describe sounds like it could just be an issue with that setup program as opposed to a problem with the .NET Framework itself.  If you'd like, you can try installing the latest redistributable version of the .NET Framework 4 family to see if that helps.  You can download it from http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx.

If that doesn't help, then I'd suggest searching on the web site for the manufacturer of this setup program to see if they have any known issues, workarounds or patches for this type of issue.

You might also find more detailed information about the cause of the crash by looking for errors/warnings in the Application event log on your PC.

62. omkar nikam says:

hi..my problem is that i cant install .net framework any version it says a latest version is already installed in the computer ,but its not i use windows 10 …so what to do ?

1. Hi omkar nikam – Windows 10 includes the .NET Framework 4.6 as a part of the OS, and the .NET Framework 4.6 is an in-place replacement for all versions of the .NET Framework from version 4 through 4.6. Which exact version of the .NET Framework were you trying to install in your scenario?

63. lakshman says:

If you have upgraded your laptop to windows 10, or have windows 10 the Crazy OS does not identify the Dotnet Framework 3.51 or 4.0, so go to control panel, click on upgrade windows , and select /enable the dotnetframework options, and apply ,ok.
    this worked for me, after hitting my head against the wall for upgrading to windows 10 OS.

1. lakshman says:

also reboot your system and then install whatever you were installing :)
      have fun with Windows 10 OS

1. lakshman says:

in Control Panel click on
        Turn windows Featurs on or Off, and enable the dotnetframe 3.5 or 4.0 framework according to your requirement

1. Hi lakshman – For reference, here is a documentation page that describes the options for enabling the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 – https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx.

64. yokesh says:

hi i am yokesh i changed my laptop os to windows 8 from windows 8.1 i cant decrease my brightness so i downloaded .net and while installing i canceled it now i cant change my bright ness and i cant install .net again it says a previous version is already installed but i cannot install my direct x it does not dedect it what should i do please help me

1. Hi yokesh – I don’t think screen brightness settings would be related to the .NET Framework. It might help to try to update your video driver to see if it gives you better options for fixing that issue.

For the .NET Framework issue, what is the exact version that you’re trying to install, and what is the exact text of the error message that you see currently? If possible, can you please use the tool described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/11/21/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%\vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

1. Yokesh says:

I don’t understand any one word on that

1. Hi Yokesh – I’m sorry for the confusion. Let’s start with the first couple of questions:

1. What is the exact version number of the .NET Framework that you’re trying to install on your PC? If you’re not sure, please post a link to where you downloaded it from and I can figure out from there.

2. When you try to install it, what is the full text of the error message that appears? It sounds like you paraphrased in your original post, and it is helpful for me to know exactly what the error message is saying in order to try to figure out what is causing the issue.

65. Rui Barbosa says:

Hi Aaron,
    I created a *.msi installer with specified requirement of .NET Framework v4.6.1 but the problem is that when trying to run the installer on a windows with .NET Framework v4.5 installed, the setup will prompt the option to go download the .NET Framework v4.6.1 with the WRONG link.
    It is sending the user to the download page of the v4.5 instead of the download page of the v4.6.1.

Any ideias on how to solve this, or force the link to be this one: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49981

Thanks,
    Rui

1. Hi Rui Barbosa – What are you using to build your MSI in this scenario?

1. Rui Barbosa says:

I’m building the *.msi install file with the Visual Studio 2015 Setup Project

1. Hi Rui Barbosa – I’m sorry, but I’m not familiar with the logic that VS setup projects use to embed .NET Framework download links into the .msi files that they build. I’d suggest posting a question on the VS setup/deployment project forum at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winformssetup and hopefully someone there will be able to help you solve this problem.