How to work around Windows Phone SDK 8.0 installation failure caused by invalid digital certificate

UPDATE – A new Windows Phone SDK 8.0 setup package has been published that contains a fix for this issue.  The original workaround is no longer needed.

Recently, an issue came up that can cause the Windows Phone SDK 8.0 to fail to install on 64-bit versions of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.  This issue will cause setup to fail and report an error like the following:

A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Microsoft has published a knowledge base article with steps you can use to work around this issue.  You can find the knowledge base article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2897627.  Here is a quick summary of the steps listed there:

1. Uninstall the partially installed Windows Phone SDK 8.0 if it currently installed on your computer.
  2. Download and install the updated setup package
    1. Web downloader – http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35471
    2. ISO – http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=257234

Here is the previous workaround that was published prior to the updated setup package being published:

2. Download the .msi and .cab files from the following 4 locations and save them to the same folder on your computer:

3. Go to the folder that you saved the files to and run Win8SharedSDKTools.msi file.
  4. After installing Win8SharedSDKTools.msi, re-run Windows Phone SDK 8.0 setup and install like normal.

<update date=”10/11/2013″> Added a step about uninstalling the Windows Phone SDK 8.0 first if there is a partially installed version on the computer from a previous failed install. </update>

<update date=”10/17/2013″> Added information about the new setup package that contains a fix for the invalid digital certificate issue. </update>

1. BP says:

more windows phone fail

2. madhur says:

sir it is still not working

3. astebner says:

Hi Madhur – Can you list the exact steps you have already tried and what error message(s) you are still seeing when you try to install the Windows Phone SDK 8.0 on your computer?

4. AdamL says:

Worked for me but only after I followed this step in the MS article, without the uninstall it failed

"Uninstall the partial installation of Windows Phone SDK 8.0. "

5. astebner says:

Hi AdamL – Thanks for the heads up.  It looks like that step was added to the knowledge base article after I wrote this blog post.  I've added that step to this blog post too.

6. Iftikhar ali says:

Hi, i am installing windows phone sdk 8.0 on windows 8.and i have installed vs 2012.during the installation of wp SDK 8.0 that give me the error "unable to locate……say about location" how to solve this problem.

please tell me about this error.

thanx

7. astebner says:

Hi Iftikhar ali – What is the full error message that you're seeing in this scenario?

Also, can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

8. Eero says:

Awesome Aaron, this made my day. I hope this will be fixed in official download and also that this workaround is mentioned here support.microsoft.com/…/2897627. This has been broken pretty recently I suppose, first time I've run into this issue.

9. Ramesh Kumar says:

I also faced the same issue. I changed the system date to 5 months back and installed it. It worked!

10. marcamon says:

thanks its works for me

11. chilas says:

Thanks Aaron, it worked like charm… 😀

12. Dot says:

i had the same error while installing Win 8.1 SDK, thanks

13. Ankon Arafat says:

it worked guys…

14. Vyacheslav Lanovets says:

I didn't find wpsdkv80_enu1.iso ISO hash anywhere. Mine is D6ED989312DBF1189E8814BBE98E5555 MD5.

15. Singleton says:

It worked man, thank you very much

16. jPush says:

This does not worked for me… Date change and installation msi cab both solved error but eventually 7.05 gb installation is done but it is half baked installation cant find vs Phone sdk, windows simulator or any supported tools ? Only app deployment and windows phone developer reg 2 apps are installed where is my sdk ?  Do i need to uninstall visual studio ? or corrupted iso ? my hash wpsdkv80_enu1.iso cd9a61ea3bc5598c0074010ac690b2f1 …

17. astebner says:

Hi jPush – You should just need to uninstall any leftover partial installs of the Windows SDK 8.0 and then install the new version from http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx or go.microsoft.com/fwlink.

If you've tried that and it didn't work, can you please provide more details about what error messages you're seeing when you try to install the new version, and can you use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

18. Rahul says:

Hi,

Thanks for this. It worked for me. Really Thanks..:-)

19. yi.tang@msn.com says:

Thanks for this. It worked for me.

20. Manish says:

Thanks Aaron Stebner , really nice stuff and it helped a lot.

21. J vihari says:

Hi Aaron Stebner

I have tired downloading the .msi and .cab files which you mentioned above and uninstalled partially installed SDK 8.0 and tried but still not working

Its given an error "unable to locate source package" and below to that its asking the directory path when i clicked its trying for cab1.cab folder but i have kept all .msi .cab files above in same folder where the SDK setup file is kept and extracted the .cab files

Please find the screenshots links

skydrive.live.com/redir

Please help me out struggling with this from more than 2 weeks 🙁

22. astebner says:

Hi J vihari – If you are getting a source prompt, that likely means that you haven't yet fully uninstalled the partially installed 8.0 SDK.  I'd suggest trying to use steps like the ones listed at blogs.msdn.com/…/487096.aspx to see which 8.0 SDK components are still installed and try to manually remove them.  You can also try to use the Browse button in setup UI to browse to the folder where the .cab file is located that setup is looking for.

23. Mohandas says:

Awesome Solution.This saved my day

24. Sibusiso Mbambo says:

Kumar you are a genius ,you got brain. that the easiest step ever lol

25. Sibusiso Mbambo says:

Kumar thanks bro,you came up with the easiest solution. People change date"Months". Thanks a lot to you to Aaron Stunning Job

26. astebner says:

Hi Vivek – In that forum post, it looks like you're trying to repair an existing install.  If you are hitting the expired digital certificate issue, repairing won't solve it.  Instead, you need to fully uninstall the version of VS that has this problem and then re-download and re-install it.

27. Ali says:

hi, I'm trying to install the win Phone SDK 8.0 from iso file. but it keep saying different problems. one time it only says Microsoft help viewer 2.0 with a yellow triangle next to it, one time it says that VS 2012 Express with another language is installed while I don't have VS 2012, and now it says "Microsoft NuGet – Visual Studio 2012 Express for windows phone. The pipe is being closed."

I have Microsoft help viewer 1.1, 2.0 and 2.1 installed, I have VS 2013 installed, I have updated this NuGet thing but still nothing.

I'm really confused about these endless errors!

28. astebner says:

Hi Ali – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

29. astebner says:

Hi Ali – It looks like you're hitting an issue similar to the one described at blogs.msdn.com/…/the-pipe-is-being-closed.aspx.  Can you please try the workaround listed there to see if it helps in your scenario?

30. Ali says:

Hi, thank you for your responses.

No, it didn't work for me, still the NuGet error comes up.

31. astebner says:

Hi Ali – I'm sorry to hear that this didn't help.  Unfortunately, after looking at your logs, I'm not sure what else to suggest in this scenario.  It might help to try to re-download the .iso in case some of the files ended up getting corrupted during the original download or mounting process.  It might also help to fully uninstall the VS 2012 components that are currently installed on your computer and then trying again to install.

If neither of those help, then I'd suggest posting a question on the Visual Studio setup forum at social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/home and hopefully someone there can provide some additional suggestions for you to try.

32. Ali says:

Hi, re-downloading iso file solved my problems. It installed successfully.

33. Amit says:

Hi  Aron can you help me with this problem i am facing while im installing windows phone 8 sdk.

34. astebner says:

Hi Amit – Just to confirm, have you already tried the workaround listed above in this blog post (uninstall the partially installed Windows Phone SDK, download the new installer and re-run the installer)?

If you've already tried that and you're still seeing failures, then can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

35. vinay says:

hello Aaron Stebner's i have a vs2012 ultimate and windows 8.1 pro 64bit .i want to install sdk8.0 but when i install i am getting an error the error  is

unable to locate package sources

36. astebner says:

Hi vinay – The first thing I would suggest is to try to re-download the Windows Phone SDK setup package.  It is possible that your original package was corrupted when it was downloaded.

If that doesn't help, then please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look.

37. Aditya says:

Thanks it worked for me

38. Guilherme says:

I'm trying to download the WP sdk 8 in a Virtual Machine with SO: Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bits, 4.00 GB Ram, and 60.00 GB HDD, but the download keep freezing when applying: Windows Phone SDk 8.0 Assemblies. I have already tried all this methods even the workaround. Any idea why this is happening??

39. astebner says:

Hi Guilherme – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

40. Divyanshu Tripathi says:

I'm a skinny kid with this funny name. I tried to install it so many times .tell me what is the actual size of file I have to download.

41. YaddVirus says:

Hi there, this fixed the certificate issue but after that I'm getting a fatal error during installation error. How do I fix that?

42. Hi YaddVirus – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?