As announced earlier today on the Windows Phone Developer Blog and the Visual Studio Blog, the Windows Phone SDK 8.0 is now available for download. Here is some information to help you get started installing and using the Windows Phone SDK 8.0.
- Web download page - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35471
- Full ISO image - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=257234
- Windows Phone SDK 8.0 release notes - http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/3/8/938A5074-461F-4E3D-89F4-5CE2F42C1E36/fulltril30/relnotes/Windows%20Phone%208%20Release%20Notes.htm
The Windows Phone SDK 8.0 is available in the same set of languages as the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 – Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian and Spanish.
Documentation and getting started links
- Windows Phone Dev Center - http://dev.windowsphone.com
- Windows Phone documentation home - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff402535(v=vs.105).aspx
- Getting started with Windows Phone development - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff402529(v=vs.105).aspx
- What’s new in the Windows Phone SDK 8.0 - http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/jj206940(v=vs.105).aspx
Installing the Windows Phone SDK 8.0
The Windows Phone SDK 8.0 must be installed on a Windows 8 x64 computer, and the computer must have a processor that supports Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) in order to fully function. You can use the tool at https://slatstatuscheck.codeplex.com/ to determine if your processor supports SLAT. If you install on a computer with a processor that does not support SLAT, then Windows Phone SDK 8.0 setup will complete, but the Windows Phone 8 emulator will not function correctly.
Unlike in previous releases, Windows Phone SDK 8.0 setup will not block attempts to install on Windows Server 2012. However, the Windows Phone 8 emulator will not function correctly on Windows Server 2012.
If you run into an installation or uninstallation failure for the Windows Phone SDK 8.0, you can use the log collection tool to gather your setup log files. This log collection tool will create a file named %temp%\vslogs.cab. Once you have gathered your setup log files, you can upload them to a file server of your choice (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and post a link to the log files in the forums to get additional support.
Notes about XNA Game Studio
The Windows Phone SDK 8.0 includes a subset of the XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh product. Specifically, it only allows you to develop Windows Phone games that use the XNA Framework. You can see more information about what XNA Framework functionality is supported in the Windows Phone SDK 8.0 in this documentation topic.
If you are developing Windows games or Xbox 360 games that use the XNA Framework, you must continue to use an edition of Visual Studio 2010 and one of the following products:
Both of the above products can be installed side-by-side with the Windows Phone SDK 8.0.
<update date="10/31/2012"> Fixed documentation links to point to MSDN instead of redirecting through the Windows Phone Dev Center. </update>