.NET Framework Repair Tool now supports diagnosing and repairing .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 setup issues

A little while ago, I posted an introduction to a new .NET Framework Repair Tool that can be used to diagnose and repair .NET Framework 4 setup issues.  An updated version of the repair tool has been released today to add support for diagnosing and repairing issues with .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 setup.  The repair tool can identify and fix issues with the installation of MSI-based versions of the .NET Framework, but it cannot fix issues related to versions of the .NET Framework that are installed as a part of Windows.

If you run into installation issues with the MSI-based versions of the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1 or 4, I strongly encourage you to download the .NET Framework Repair Tool and run it to see if it resolves your issue before resorting to trying the .NET Framework cleanup tool. Here are links that you can use to find additional information about the .NET Framework Repair Tool:

1. Ada says:

Is download link  – go.microsoft.com/fwlink – correct? "Default site" of Download center loads for me…

2. Axel says:

Hi Aaron,

thank you very much. Unfortunately today the .NET Framework Repair Tool download link go.microsoft.com/fwlink does NOT work anymore.

3. Jan says:

sadly the download doesnt work. Can you attach the file here if you already have it? Thanks.

4. astebner says:

Hi Ada, Axel and Jan – I've confirmed that the fwlink isn't working for me either, and I can't seem to find the link to allow you to directly download the tool either.  I'll track down what is going on with the download page for this tool and post an update when I know more.

5. RickCP says:

Hi Aaron – Yes, there are some people at the new Microsoft Community forums that would highly appreciate your helping on the download link issue. Thanks in advance.

6. astebner says:

Hi all – The tool was taken down last night to make an update, and it should be available again later today.  When it is available, the fwlink should also start working again.

7. astebner says:

Hi all – The tool is once again available for download.  I apologize for any inconvenience that this caused in the meantime.

8. Mostafa says:

Aaron plz help when i open the downloader of net framework 3.5

it download so fast and install so fast and tell me setup error

because in the first i download net framework 3.5 standalone installer and onpened it

it setuped some but didnt complete , and its in the c,windows,microsoft net,v3.5 and i cant remove

it , plz help i want play league of legends

9. astebner says:

Hi Mostafa – I'm sorry for the hassles that this is causing for you.  What version of Windows do you have on your computer?  Windows 7 and Windows 8 include the .NET Framework 3.5 as a part of the OS, so the standalone installer will not work correctly.  If you're using one of those versions of Windows, you'll need to go to the Windows Features control panel to enable the .NET Framework 3.5.

If you're not using one of those versions of Windows, then I'd suggest trying the tools and steps listed at blogs.msdn.com/…/8108332.aspx to see if they help solve this problem.

10. zirath_m@yahoo.com says:

Hello,

I just installed .net framework 4. Someone was saying that I would need to install 1.1 2.0 and 3.5 1st but 1.1 wouldn't install. I thought I had read that the other versions would install automatically if you install the most recent one. Is that correct?

Thanks.

11. astebner says:

Hi Cisz – It normally should be possible to install these versions of the .NET Framework in any order.  If the .NET Framework 1.1 is failing to install, can you please use steps like the ones at blogs.msdn.com/…/help-me-help-you-if-you-have-setup-bugs.aspx to enable verbose logging and send me a log file from the failure so I can take a closer look?

The .NET Framework 3.5 installs the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 behind the scenes.  Those are the only versions that are installed automatically by other versions of the .NET Framework.

12. Andrew says:

Hi,

Just used the cleanup tool and it worked a treat after DotNetInstaller 2.0 would not work. Thanks

13. Lockie Cresswell says:

I've tried .net framework repairing, clean-up but nothing works! Brand new Win 7 home edition system, very little installed (MS Office). It wont upgrade either (win7 sp1). I just get x8000247 of x8000fff or x8E5e0247 errors. Windows troubleshooter wont run either. Just wasted 12 hours straight. I do not have installation disks as it is a Toshiba laptop, just back from Toshiba.

14. astebner says:

Hi Lockie Cresswell – The errors that you describe sound like problems installing Windows Updates on your computer.  I'd suggest trying to use the steps in the knowledge base article at support.microsoft.com/…/971058 to reset the Windows Update components on your computer to see if that helps resolve this issue.

If that doesn't help, then I'd also suggest trying to run the System Update Readiness Tool from support.microsoft.com/…/947821.

15. Jim says:

I'm on Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium. I've installed an application that required SQL Server be installed. It wouldn't install until after removing the SQL version that was already there. After installation, the application errors after start-up (splash screen) with "The type initializer for 'Spring.Concept.Support.AbstractXmlApplicationContext' threw an exception." It's a HP laptop, and a number of HP specific applications (HP Support Assistant, HP Setup, etc.) won't run either. Is this a problem with .NET? I've already tried 'sfc /scannow', which will replace files and directories of .NET, but doesn't fix the registry.

16. astebner says:

Hi Jim – The exception message you describe sounds like a problem with the application as opposed to a problem with the .NET Framework, but I'm not positive.  Are the other HP applications .NET Framework applications too, and do they show any error messages when you try to run them?  There are a couple of other .NET Framework applications that come as a part of Windows that you can try to see if you can narrow this down further – Windows Media Center and MMC.  If those work, then the problem is likely application-specific and you might want to try contacting the application manufacturer to see if they have any known issues related to that exception message.

17. Jim says:

Thanks for taking the time to answer. The HP applications don't show any error. The dialog just says "The application has stopped working, Windows is searching for a solution …". Before the SQL problem, all HP applications worked. I've uninstalled and re-installed the applications and they still don't work. Windows Media Center and MMC both work. When using "Turn Windows features on or off" and adding either of the Windows Communication Foundation sets listed under .NET 3.5.1, Windows errors with "An error has occurred. Not all features were successfully changed.". Thanks again.

18. astebner says:

Hi Jim – There might be entries in the application event log on your computer that give more information about the HP application crashes.

You don't need to add that Windows Communication Foundation component in order to use the .NET Framework.  However, you also shouldn't be seeing errors like that if you try to add it either.  Here are some steps I usually recommend to solve that type of Windows feature install problem:

1.  Install the latest Windows service pack if you haven't yet.

2.  Try to run the System Update Readiness Tool from support.microsoft.com/…/947821.

3.  Try to repair the files that are a part of your OS by using the steps listed at blogs.msdn.com/…/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx.

If none of the above help, you might need to repair/re-install Windows to fix this type of error.  It might also help to post a question on one of the Windows forums to see if someone there has any additional suggestions for you to try before you resort to re-installing Windows.

19. Rand says:

Please Help Me! While I Downloading The Microsoft Net.framework 2.0 sp2 it's says windows vista was not meet the requirments but im using Windows 7 and all requirments are meet why it's says that please Help me Aaron Stebner's ? :(

20. astebner says:

Hi Rand – It sounds like your computer is applying settings from Windows Vista compatibility mode before it tries to run the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 installer.  To work around that, you should be able to do one of the following:

1.  Delete the registry values described at blogs.msdn.com/…/10064318.aspx.  That post is about a different installer, but you should be able to modify the steps as appropriate for the .NET Framework installer.

-or-

2.  Save the .NET Framework installer to your computer, rename it, and run it with the new name.

21. John Wilson says:

Thank you! I downloaded and ran the Microsoft .NET framework repair tool on my Server 2008 R2 and after the second "Next" the four failing .NET updates successfully installed. Very Cool!

22. joseph murigu says:

HI am trying to connect my printer to my PC but during running of the software it gives out the message that i have to install Microsoft .net frame  work

23. astebner says:

Hi joseph murigu – What version of the .NET Framework does the printer software tell you that it needs?  Do you already have that version of the .NET Framework installed?  If you don't, then you can download and install it using one of the links at blogs.msdn.com/…/8108332.aspx.

If you already have it installed and the printer software doesn't correctly detect that it is installed, then you might be running into a problem with the printer software itself.  If that's the case, I'd recommend searching on the web site for the printer manufacturer to see if they have any known issues or patches related to that type of issue.