.NET Framework setup verification tool now supports .NET Framework 4.5 and Windows 8

I have posted an updated version of the .NET Framework setup verification tool that supports verifying the install state of the .NET Framework 4.5.  It has also been updated to correctly recognize when it is running on Windows 8.  This support is preliminary because the final versions of the .NET Framework 4.5 and Windows 8 have not yet shipped, and I’ll post an updated version in the future when the .NET Framework 4.5 and Windows 8 ship if any changes are made between now and then that cause the tool to report incorrect results.

There is more information about how to download and use the .NET Framework setup verification tool in the user’s guide at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx.

I have not yet posted updated versions of the .NET Framework cleanup tool or the sample .NET Framework detection code, but they are in progress and I’ll upload then and post an update on my blog when they are ready.

As always, if you run into any issues or have any feedback about the .NET Framework setup verification tool, please let me know by posting a comment on one of my blog posts or using the contact form.

1. Jay says:

Hi Aaron,

I found this tool from asoft called .NET Version Detector: http://www.asoft.be/prod_netver.html

It's actually very nice for visualizing the different versions and for users that don't know much about the different versions installed on their machines.

And keep up the good work with the blog, always nice to read!

2. Zimfree says:

Hi Aaron!

I am running Win 7 Pro 64 bit.  I can't install Visual C++ 2005 and found your blog while searching for help.  I've tried a few things you mentioned and found that I get the blank list in the 'Turn Windows components on/off'.  I ran the 'System Update Readiness Tool' and got these error messages in the log:

=================================

Checking System Update Readiness.

Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645

Package Version 15.0

2012-07-09 15:30

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

(f) CSI Corrupt Identity 0xC0150017 Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-Base, Culture=neutral, Version=6.1.7600.16385, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecturu=amd64, versionScope=NonSxS amd64_}icrosoft-windows-grouppolicy-base_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_8418538600b3acac Bad identity

(f) CSI Manifest Missing 0x00000002 amd64_}icrosoft-windows-grouppolicy-base_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_8418538600b3acac.manifest amd64_}icrosoft-windows-grouppolicy-base_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_8418538600b3acac

Summary:

Seconds executed: 226

Found 2 errors

CSI Manifest Missing Total count: 1

CSI Corrupt Identity Total count: 1

Unavailable repair files:

winsxsmanifestsamd64_}icrosoft-windows-grouppolicy-base_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_8418538600b3acac.manifest

Can you help me fix this so I can install Visual C++ 2005?  I intended at some point to do a fresh install (since it seemed that I would have no other choice) but I am currently working on a project that I need to finish ASAP and cannot because the software requires Visual C++ 2005.  I don't want to do a fresh install of Windows until the project is finished.

Thanks in advance!

3. astebner says:

Hi Zimfree – I think you will need to try to manually replace the missing manifest file that is listed in the "Unavailable repair files" section of the report.  There are some instructions in the tutorial at http://www.sevenforums.com/…/108805-system-update-readiness-tool-checksur-log-file-analyzis.html that will hopefully help you do that.

4. Zimfree says:

Thanks, Aaron…I'll give it a shot and let you know how it went!

Much appreciated!

5. Zimfree says:

Hi Aaron, sorry if this is a duplicate msg.  I posted again yesterday but can't find my comment.

I was able to follow those instructions up to the point of where to find the manifest file that's missing on my Win 7 Pro disk.  The instructions are very generic, but I'm looking in the Win 7 Pro/windows/system 32 folder and can't find another folder.  I thought there might be a 'winsxs' folder, but no luck.  Could you help me locate the file and tell me where I need to copy it/replace it on my system?

Thanks!

6. astebner says:

Hi Zimfree – The manifests are all stored in sub-folders under c:windowswinsxs.  However, now that I look at your original error message in more detail, I think there might just be a typo in one of the components that is registered on your computer (}icrosoft instead of Microsoft) that is causing this issue.  Can you check and see if you have a file named c:windowswinsxsmanifestsamd64_microsoft-windows-grouppolicy-base_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_8418538600b3acac.manifest on your computer?  If you do, then I'd suggest doing the following to update the registry value that is pointing to that manifest:

1.  Run optionalfeatures.exe (this will cause Windows 7 to load the registry hive that you will need in the next step

2.  Run regedit.exe

3.  Go to the key named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEComponents

4.  Search for a key or value that includes amd64_}icrosoft-windows-grouppolicy-base in the name

5.  Change any instance you find from amd64_}icrosoft-windows-grouppolicy-base to amd64_microsoft-windows-grouppolicy-base

6.  Reboot your computer

7.  Try to run the System Update Readiness Tool again and see if that resolves the errors you were seeing

8.  If so, then try again to install the VC++ redistributable

Hopefully this will help.

7. Zimfree says:

My internet keeps kicking out so I don't know if you got my last post.

When I try to rename the instance I'm told there's already an instance with that name.

If I search the registry I can't see the duplicate.

8. Zimfree says:

Also, like I said, I don't get any list when I open the 'Turn Windows Features on/off' through optionalfeatures.exe…is it enough just to run it?

9. astebner says:

Hi Zimfree – Yes, it should be enough to just open the Windows Features control panel.  I think it is not showing any entries because of the same error being reported by the System Update Readiness Tool.

If you already have an instance with that name, then it might be sufficient to just delete that entry instead of trying to rename it.  Before making that type of registry modification, I'd suggest making a backup just in case you find that you need to restore it later.  You can find instructions for doing that at windows.microsoft.com/…/Back-up-the-registry.

10. Zimfree says:

Aaron!

Thank you so much.  After deleting the key and running Windows Update several times along with several reboots I was finally able to install Visual C++ 2005 and my project *seems* to be working properly!

If I run into trouble I'll drop you a line.

I can't thank you enough!

11. astebner says:

Hi Zimfree – Awesome news, I'm glad to hear that things are working now.  In the past, I've seen this type of issue prevent Windows Update from finding any applicable updates, so I'm not surprised to see a big backlog of updates that it found and needed to install for you afterwards.

Definitely let me know if you run into any further issues in the future and I'll try to help if I can.

12. Meenakshi says:

hi anyone pls help me, i'm using windows 8 and when i try to instal .net 4.5 it is saying "Same or higher version is already install", when i'm trying to install visual studio 2012 it is saying ".net 4.5 is not there". i cant find .net 4.5 in list of programs installled. It is saying it is coming with OS.

13. astebner says:

Hi Meenakshi – Windows 8 includes the .NET Framework 4.5 as a part of the OS, and it cannot be removed or installed separately from Windows.  In pre-release versions of Windows 8, there is a pre-release version of the .NET Framework 4.5 as well.  Visual Studio 2012 requires a matching build of the .NET Framework 4.5, and since Windows 8 includes a build of the .NET Framework 4.5 as a part of the OS, you have to install a version of VS 2012 on a build of Windows 8 that includes a matching version of the .NET Framework 4.5.  For example:

* If you want to install the VS 2012 beta, you have to install on the Windows 8 consumer preview.

* If you want to install the VS 2012 RC, you have to install on the Windows 8 release preview.

* If you want to install the final version of VS 2012, you have to install on the final version of Windows 8.

You cannot install versions of VS 2012 on versions of Windows 8 that don't match the above statements.

14. Meenakshi says:

Oh great, thanks for your help. i have VS12 RC and my Os is Windows 8 consumer preview. i will try installing beta then.

15. Don says:

Hi Aaron!  Does the .NET setup verification tool work on the "official" version of .NET 4.5 released to MSDN account holders yesterday?  Thanks!

16. astebner says:

Hi Don – Yes, the verification tool should work correctly on the final version of the .NET Framework 4.5.  Please let me know if you run into any issues.

17. Lohnegrim says:

Hi,

I have problems with the .Net Framework on Windows 8 Final.

VS 2012 Final doesn't list FW 4.5 in its list, and so I tried to reinstall it, but didn't work.

After some search I found this Tool, but it doesn't start. (After the License Dialog there comes the progress and then nothing).

Any idea what I can check?

18. astebner says:

Hi Lohnegrim – The final version of Windows 8 includes the final version of the .NET Framework 4.5, and the final version of VS 2012 should recognize that and skip trying to install the .NET Framework 4.5 because it is already present on the computer.

There is an issue with the verification tool that prevents it from running on the final version of Windows 8 currently.  I'm still trying to work out the exact right way to fix that, but for now, you won't be able to use it on Windows 8.

19. Lohnegrim says:

Hi Aaron!

>> The final version of Windows 8 includes the final version of the .NET Framework 4.5

Yes I know

>> and the final version of VS 2012 should recognize that and skip trying to install the .NET Framework 4.5 because it is already present on the computer.

Yes it does, but if I start VS 2012 and click on New Project, then the FW Drop down list only shows 2.0 to 4.0, but not 4.5.

Also if I select a Windows Store project type, then the Drop down list is Disabled and Empty.

On a different System I can select from 2.0 to 4.5

20. Lohnegrim says:

Seems like I missed everything except the .xml Files directly in the Folder 'Program Files (x86)Reference AssembliesMicrosoftFramework.NETCorev4.5' and '…Framework.NETFrameworkv4.5'

21. astebner says:

Hi Lohnegrim – I'm sorry, I misunderstood your previous comment and thought you were talking about a setup issue as opposed to an issue creating projects in Visual Studio after setup completed.

Visual Studio installs a component called the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 Multi-targeting Pack that controls what versions of the .NET Framework are listed in the drop-down when creating new projects.  It might help to try to uninstall that component and then repair VS 2012 to force it to re-install it.  This component should appear in the list in the Programs and Features control panel, but if it doesn't then you can use steps like the ones listed at blogs.msdn.com/…/487096.aspx to remove it.

If that doesn't help, then I'd suggest posting a question on the Visual Studio forum at social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/threads, and hopefully someone there can help provide some additional suggestions for you to try.

22. Lohnegrim says:

Hi Aaron!

I already solved it, I missed some files in the '…Reference Assemblies…' folders.

I copied them from another Win8, and then everything worked.

Thanks anyway

23. Andrew Jones says:

On a Windows 2000 SP4 machine I'm getting a "Error creating process…setupverifier2.exe Reason: c:WINNTsystem32advpack.dll" error and therefore cannot check if .NET 2 is actually installed. Any ideas?

Andrew

24. astebner says:

Hi Andrew Jones – I made a change to the verification tool in December 2011 that prevents it from running on versions of Windows older than Windows XP.  I don't have an easy way to go back and undo all of the changes made since then, so you won't be able to use this tool to verify the .NET Framework 2.0 on Windows 2000.

Are you running into errors when trying to use .NET Framework applications on your Windows 2000 computer currently?  If so, can you let me know the exact error messages and I'll see if I can help you troubleshoot the issues?

25. Matt says:

.NET 4.5.2?

26. astebner says:

Hi Matt – Yes, I'm planning to update both the verification tool and the .NET Framework detection sample to support 4.5.2, but I haven't had time yet. I hope to get to that in the next few days. I'm sorry for the delay.