How to work around a possible XNA Game Studio or Windows Phone SDK install failure on Windows 8

If you try to install the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 or XNA Game Studio on Windows 8, you may encounter an XNA Game Studio setup failure.

How to work around this issue

If you run into this issue, here are steps that you can use to work around it:

1. Download and install the latest version of the Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5549 or http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=201134
  2. If you are installing the Windows Phone SDK 7.1, re-run setup and choose to repair it.  This will re-run the previously failing XNA Game Studio installers and they should install correctly this time.
  3. If you are install a standalone XNA Game Studio product, re-run setup and it should install correctly this time.
  4. If you are planning to do Windows Phone development, you should also install the Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 Update after installing the Windows Phone SDK 7.1.  This update fixes an issue that prevents the emulator in the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 from working correctly on Windows 8.

What to do if the workaround doesn’t help

If you have tried the above steps and setup still fails, you are running into a different issue than the one described above, and you will have to look at the setup log files to determine the root cause.

If you are installing the Windows Phone SDK 7.1, you can use the log collection tool to gather your setup log files. This log collection tool will create a file named %temp%\vslogs.cab.

If you are installing XNA Game Studio, you can find log files at the following locations:

• XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh – %temp%\XNA Game Studio 4.0 Setup\Logs
  • XNA Game Studio 4.0 – %temp%\XNA Game Studio 4.0 Setup\Logs
  • XNA Game Studio 3.1 – %temp%\XNA Game Studio 3.1 Setup\Logs
  • XNA Game Studio 3.0 – %temp%\XNA Game Studio 3.0 Setup\Logs
  • XNA Game Studio 2.0 – %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v2.0\Setup\Logs

Once you have gathered your setup log files, please upload them to a file server of your choice (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and post a link to the log files in the App Hub Forums or in a comment on my blog to get additional support.

What is causing this failure behind the scenes

XNA Game Studio installs a version of the Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable behind the scenes.  Some older versions of the Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable attempt to install and use a file that is being installed by Windows 8, and the older versions of the redistributable are not compatible with the newer version of the file that is installed by Windows 8.  Newer versions of the Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable are compatible with Windows 8, and if you pre-install the new redistributable before installing XNA Game Studio, setup will recognize that it is already there and use the new version instead of trying to install the old version.

The reason this issue also impacts the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 is that this SDK installs XNA Game Studio behind the scenes, which in turn installs the Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable behind the scenes.

<update date=”7/12/2012″> Added a note about installing the Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 Update after installing the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 to fix an emulator issue on Windows 8. </update>

<update date=”7/22/2012″> Fixed broken link to the Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 Update </update>

<update date=”10/30/2012″> Removed outdated reference to the Windows 8 consumer preview. This post applies equally to the final release of Windows 8. </update>

<update date=”12/21/2015″>Fixed broken download link for Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable. </update>

1. Pete says:

Many thanks!

2. Carlos says:

Thanks!!!

3. Scott says:

That's for solving this

4. Thai says:

Thanks man! I spent a couple of hours before trying to get it to install (I was actually using your previous blog posts as a reference) before I finally came across this. Now it works like a charm.

5. Dmitri says:

Thank you!

6. I'm try it, thank for help.

7. Great, this is working.

Thank you.

8. K- says:

It works for installation but then it will give the following error:

Error 1 A numeric comparison was attempted on "$(SPAFileMarker)" that evaluates to "−1" instead of a number, in condition "'$(SPAFileMarker)' > '-1'". sunset

And here is someone else with the same problem:

forums.create.msdn.com/…/599324.aspx

9. Qua says:

Thanks 🙂

10. astebner says:

Hi K – We haven't seen that SPAFileMarker error in our internal testing so far.  Would it be possible for you to enable diagnostic MSBuild logging, reproduce this failure, then upload the log file to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com) so I can take a closer look?

You can enable diagnostic MSBuild logging by doing the following:

1.  In Visual Studio 2010, go to the Tools menu and choose Options…

2.  Expand the Projects and Solutions item and choose Build and Run

3.  Change the MSBuild project build output verbosity from the default (Minimal) to Diagnostic.

4.  Re-run your build and let it fail.

5.  Copy and paste the contents of the Visual Studio output window into a text file.

11. Mike says:

Thanks a lot!!!

12. Paulo R. Pereira de SOuza says:

Thanks a lot!!!

13. Lam Le says:

Hi,

I have an existing XNA + windows form integration application.

I am just wondering if it is possible to change the windows form part to the new metro style in windows 8 using your work around.

Is it feasible to do?

14. B_McD says:

15. astebner says:

Hi Lam Le – The workaround in this blog post is only applicable when installing XNA Game Studio on Windows 8.  Using the workaround will not allow the XNA Framework to be used in Metro style applications.  The XNA Framework cannot be used as-is in Metro style applications because it uses APIs that are not available in that environment.

16. K- says:

Hi Aaron, sorry for the slow reply

I have installed the recent update and the problem percist.

I have changed the compile output to Diagnostic but it still gives me only one error with no additional information.

I created again a fresh empty default xna windows phone project.

Also I'd like to point out it is uniquely with xna applications and not with silverlight.

The update fixed the emulator also.

17. astebner says:

Hi K – I see the location where this error is coming from in the file C:Program Files (x86)MSBuildMicrosoftXNA Game Studiov4.0Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio.XBL.targets, but I don't understand what would trigger this error.  I'm hoping there will be more information in the diagnostic build log about what some of the variables used by that file are being set to on your machine, so if possible, can you please zip your diagnostic MSBuild log file, upload it to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), then reply back here and post a link that I can use to download your log file and take a closer look?

18. K- says:

Hi, sorry, I could't even find the build log file.

I copy pasted the error and warning to a text file (buildlog.zip) and the whole project folder (as created by my env).

19. astebner says:

Hi K – Unfortunately, the files that you uploaded don't give any more information than you already provided, and the project you uploaded works fine when I try to build it on my computers.  After you enable diagnostic MSBuild logging, you'll need to build your project again, let it fail, then copy and paste the contents of the VS output window into a text file.  Can you give that a try and upload it to your file server?

20. K- says:

I think the build doesn't even happen because of this error. The build folder is empty. Build, rebuild clean etc doesn't really do anything

21. astebner says:

Hi K – Right, I'm expecting your builds to continue to fail.  However, if you have diagnostic MSBuild logging enabled, you'll get a bunch of information printed to your output window in Visual Studio when your build fails.  That is the information I'd like you to copy and paste into a text file and upload so I can take a look.

22. K- says:

Sorry my bad.. here it is. Thanks a lot for your patience!

ircing.org/…/build.txt

23. astebner says:

Hi K – Thank you for the additional log file.  XNA Game Studio ships a file named Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio.XBL.targets that includes the following logic:

<SPAFileMarker>$(LiveGameConfigList.IndexOf('|'))</SPAFileMarker>

In your log, the SPAFileMarker variable is being evaluated as ?1, when it should really be evaluated as -1 (to indicate that the index isn't found).  I'm not sure what would cause the IndexOf method to return a non-numerical value like that though.  Maybe there is some culture setting for your OS that is causing this?  What language version of Windows are you using, and what culture settings is your version of Windows configured to use?

This logic for parsing SPA files is only needed by games that are a part of the registered Xbox LIVE developer program.  If you're not a part of that program, I think you can work around this issue in the meantime by deleting the following error from your copy of Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio.XBL.targets:

<!– Limit to a single SPA file –>

<Error Condition="'$(SPAFileMarker)' > '-1'"

Text="Multiple SPA files are not supported."/>

24. K- says:

Yep, thanks very much, that fixed it.

I had location finland and number and format as Finland.

Changed those to US and the error is gone.

😀 High five!

25. Pete Allen says:

This worked for me on VS2010 Ultimate and Win8 (8250)

Thanks.

26. Ahsan says:

sir u need help……how i install xna 4.0 on vs2011……

27. astebner says:

Hi Ahsan – XNA Game Studio 4.0 only supports Visual Studio 2010.  You can install VS 2010 side by side with VS 11 if you would like to develop games with XNA Game Studio and also use VS 11 on the same computer.

28. After install LIVE Redistributable, wp7 and xna sdk were successfully installed. But, then I try to create a new project "Game For WindowsPhone", vs show me error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. If I press "OK", it is created solution with content projerct only. Also, my old projects, don't open too.

Sorry, for my bad English.

29. astebner says:

Hi Sarostin – Does this error only happen for XNA Game Studio games for Windows Phone, or does it also happen for Windows and/or Xbox 360 games?  If it is only phone games, then I'd suggest trying to repair the Windows Phone SDK 7.1.  If it is all types of XNA Game Studio games, then I'd suggest trying to uninstall and re-install XNA Game Studio.

30. This helped! says:

I was having the same issue, and the post really helped, thank you!

31. Anon says:

You are awesome!

32. Pasindu says:

Thank you very much! It worked 🙂

33. Tú - Vietnamese says:

Many thanks, It's working

34. Shovon says:

VS Express is running well but the Emulator not working….

Please Help…

35. astebner says:

Hi Shovon – You will also need to install the Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 Update in order to fix an emulator issue on Windows 8.  You can download it from blogs.msdn.com/…/Windows%20Phone%20SDK%207.1.1%20Update.

36. Shovon says:

I've download the "Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 Update" but its not installing in windows 8, when it was installing, after some time PC was hang and restart the windows. PC config- 4GB RAM, Core i5.

37. astebner says:

Hi Shovon – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

38. Tom Anderson says:

The link to the Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 is incorrectly given as blogs.msdn.com/…/Windows%20Phone%20SDK%207.1.1%20Update

It should actually be http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx

39. astebner says:

Hi Tom Anderson – Thank you for letting me know about that broken link.  I've fixed it in the main text of the blog post.

40. Ashish Gupta says:

It Works………lots of thanks

41. Shovon says:

Here is the cab.. docs.google.com/open

42. astebner says:

Hi Shovon – Your logs show that the installer is hanging when it tries to generate the saved state file for the emulator on your computer – CA_Install_XDE_SavedStates is the specific action that appears to be hanging.  There is likely some kind of incompatibility between the emulator and your computer that is causing this, but I'm not sure what the best way is to try to fix that type of issue.  I'd suggest first taking a look on the App Hub forums (forums.create.msdn.com/…/68568.aspx and other similar posts) to see if there are any suggestions there that help in this scenario.  If not, then I'd suggest posting a new question on the App Hub forums to see if anyone there can offer any suggestions for this issue.

43. Abraham Dhanyaraj says:

Hi Aaron,

I m installing WP sdk 7.1 on Win8 and VS 2010 sp1 machine.

But after installing it thrown me an error XNA game studio installation is failed. So, I downloaded XNA Game studio 4 refresh and again its saying setup failed.

Installed update from the link you specified(http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx).

Still facing the same error when debugging app(The target "GetCopyToOutputDirectoryContentProjectItems" does not exist in the project. Done building project "Test.csproj" — FAILED)

Can you please help me?

Regards,

Abraham

44. Abraham says:

Hi Aaron,

(adding above)

After I install WPSDK 7.1.1, when I debug my app its throwing Zune Software not installed error(windows phone device)

when I debug using windows emulator 512,256 am not getting proper output(windows phone just boots and wont display any output).. Please help me..

Regards,

Abraham

45. astebner says:

Hi Abraham Dhanyaraj – In order to solve the XNA Game Studio installation problem, you need to first install the latest Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable from http://www.xbox.com/…/DownloadClient.  Once you install the latest Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable, you should try to repair the Windows Phone SDK 7.1, which will re-run the XNA Game Studio installer for you.  That should solve the GetCopyToOutputDirectoryContentProjectItems error message that you're seeing.

I don't have enough expertise to troubleshoot the debugging issues that you're describing, so I'd suggest posting a question about those issues on the App Hub forums at forums.create.msdn.com/forums and hopefully someone there can help you with those.

46. Project X says:

Thanks much for your helpful blog. I am doing WP7 development and recently installed Win8. Your methodical post (which should be somewhere on MS' actual WP Dev site, ahem) appears to be working as I type this.

47. Abraham Dhanyaraj says:

Hi Aaron,

Thanks a lot.

After installing http://www.xbox.com/…/DownloadClient and re installing complete setup, its working..

Thanks a lot once again..

Regards,

Abraham

48. Nikolas says:

Hi Aaron,

Very big Thanks!

I'm just run Windows Phone Developer Tools SDK 7.1

with force ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS, and then

Windows Phone Developer Tools SDK 7.1.1 update

with force ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS too, on my Windows 8 Developer Preview,

and all work good, VC10 samples compilings ok.

With respects,

Nikolas

49. VT says:

Thanx a million, this helped me I was stressing so much…

50. Kent Wang says:

Thanks! It works.

51. Wooper says:

Thanks it worked perfect

52. Jay says:

Thanks, but it's a shame that MSFT is unable to release an OS and dev tools that just work (I had to install VS2010 to target .NET 4.0 in VS2012 too).

53. Daniel says:

Thanks. Your solution works perfectly!

54. Naresh says:

Your solution saved my day… Thank you

55. Pipoop says:

Thanks it works now !!

56. mr.dang says:

thanks you….

57. Jw says:

AWESOME! THANK YOU! SO VERY MUCH! 😀 😀 😀

58. Saraswathi says:

Hi! Can anyone tell me what "force ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS" means in the following post?

"Hi Aaron,

Very big Thanks!

I'm just run Windows Phone Developer Tools SDK 7.1

with force ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS, and then

Windows Phone Developer Tools SDK 7.1.1 update

with force ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS too, on my Windows 8 Developer Preview,

and all work good, VC10 samples compilings ok.

With respects,

Nikolas"

I'm having trouble getting 7.1 running in Windows 8, and the update is running the same error ("compatibility problem"). Not sure I am savvy enough to log errors, though I will try. Any other insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

59. astebner says:

Hi Saraswathi – I think that means to right-click on the setup files and choose to Run as Administrator.  However, doing that is never required for setup programs like this.  They will automatically prompt you for Administrator privileges if they require those privileges.

Have you tried the workaround steps listed in the top of this blog post yet (install Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable, then try again to install the Windows Phone SDK 7.1)?

If you've tried the workaround and it didn't help, then can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

60. Saraswathi says:

Thanks for the quick reply Aaron!

You're right, the administrator rights thing was a dead end/useless 🙂

I've followed your steps and have an emulator up and running in Parallels Windows 8 – amazing !! Thank you so much for your post.

My only trouble is deploying the app – the tile shows up but it doesn't run when clicked. I'm currently reinstalling with the SNA workaround – I'll let you know how it goes! 🙂

61. astebner says:

Hi Saraswathi – I don't think the workaround in this blog post will help with the issue you're seeing.  Hopefully you can try running your app in the debugger to see if you can figure out why it doesn't launch correctly.

62. Saraswathi says:

Hello Aaron – true, after installing the latest version of the Games for Windows – LIVE and re-running the SDK setup with the 7.1.1 update, the app I am working with still won't open in the emulator.

Any advice? Is this because I'm using a VM?

You mentioned a debugging console – I'm not seeing a debugging console within the emulator. Where can I find it? Thanks for your time.

63. astebner says:

Hi Saraswathi – How are you installing and running your application currently?  I was expecting it to be deployed by opening a Visual Studio project, building it, deploying it and running it from there.  If you're doing that, you can press F5 to run it in the debugger, and that should help you catch crashes on startup like the one you're seeing.

If you don't have a VS project or the source code and you are deploying the .xap with the Application Deployment tool, then it isn't possible to debug it the way I was thinking.  In that case, you'll probably need to work with whoever created the application to get their help debugging the crash on startup.

Based on what you described about the symptoms, I don't think this crash is related to Windows 8, XNA, or the issue described in this blog post.  It sounds like a bug in the application itself.

64. Vicente Penades says:

Hi, I am considering upgrading to Windows 8, but XNA is one of the things preventing me to upgrade. Now, I've seen this workaround is working for some people, but using Windows Phone SDK 7.1 . Now, Windows Phone SDK 8 is out, and apparently it provides some support to XNA (at least, to WP7.1 , not 8), what I would like to know is, if Windows Phone SDK 8 is now the "official" way to get XNA on Windows 8 (so the workaround is no longer needed), and if it is still supporting plain old desktop development

Thanks in advance

65. astebner says:

Hi Vicente Penades – There are XNA components in the Windows Phone SDK 8.0, but they can only be used to develop Windows Phone games.  To develop Windows games or Xbox 360 games, you will need to install an edition of Visual Studio 2010 and the XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh.

I posted more information about this scenario in the "Notes about XNA Game Studio" section of the blog post at blogs.msdn.com/…/10364387.aspx.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions after reading through this information.

66. Nay says:

Perfect, although such a simple workaround. Surely MS should update this.

67. Christie says:

Thanks! It worked great!

68. Anseer says:

69. Boyan says:

I love you man….Thank you so mush!!

70. Amruta Shah, India. says:

i am unable to install the xna which u have mentioned in step 1 of workaround. It is giving me an error:

"Install failed Error code 0x800b0003". Can u please help me out.

71. astebner says:

Hi Amruta Shah, India – That error code means "path not found"  Could you please zip all of your XNA Game Studio setup log files from the folder %temp%XNA Game Studio 4.0 SetupLogs, upload the .zip file to a file share (such as http://skydrive.live.com) and reply here with a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

72. Mat says:

thankyou….instant fix, appreciated!

73. Jack says:

This was bad, you wrote:

"If you try to install the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 or XNA Game Studio on Windows 8, you may encounter an XNA Game Studio setup failure."

• and i thought that you would help with that but you didn't!
  74. astebner says:

Hi Jack – I'm sorry, but I don't understand your comment.  I provide a workaround for this issue in the blog post, and I also provide steps to gather additional information in case the workaround doesn't help.  Can you please provide more details about exactly what error you're seeing?  Also, if the workaround doesn't help, can you please also use the instructions above in this blog post to gather and upload your log files so I can take a closer look?

75. Neil says:

Worked, thanks for the assistance!

76. Hi Aaron – I followed you instruction every went smooth update to WindowsPhone SDK7.1 installation. When i try to update SDK7.1 to SDK7.1.1 my System hanging and not responding. What should i do?

77. astebner says:

Hi Jegnath – A system hang is more than likely being caused by a different problem than the one described in this blog post.  Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

78. Dex says:

I ran into a problem that sounds like the one Amruta Shah encountered, where the installer gave back code 0x800b0003.

My Xliveinstall.log file indicated the following:

(14:18:11) Download Status: download.gfwl.xboxlive.com/…/xliveredist.msi

(14:18:13) File 'C:UsersDexAppDataLocalMicrosoftGFWLiveDownloadsxliveredist.msi' was not signed correctly or its contents are invalid.

(14:18:13) Failed to validate C:UsersDexAppDataLocalMicrosoftGFWLiveDownloadsxliveredist.msi. [Code:0x800b0003]

The new gfwlsetup.exe marketplace client (http://www.xbox.com/…/DownloadClient) is a little more involved than just the simple redist nowadays and it fails on Win8 while trying to verify the xliveredist.msi that it downloads, so I fixed it by downloading the xliveredist.msi directly from the link above and installing that manually. After that the gfwlsetup.exe runs fine.

79. shivaraj says:

thanks a lot…

80. Mohan says:

Thanks a lot.

81. Daniel says:

Thanks Dex it looks like you saved my bacon!

82. Vladislav Prygin says:

Thank you very much. It's realy works.

83. Hieu says:

Thanks. It work

84. Ad says:

Thx a lot! It worked just fine! Greetings from Barcelona, Spain

85. Kamran says:

I'm having issues now with 7.1.1, it says a newer version of the Microsoft Advertising SDK already exists so it rolls back all the changes (I do have SDK 8.0 installed).

86. astebner says:

Hi Kamran – 8.0 and 7.1.1 are supposed to allow you to install side-by-side.  There might be an order-of-install problem, so if possible, I'd suggest that you try to uninstall 8.0, install 7.1.1, then re-install 8.0 to see if that fixes things.

If that doesn't help, then I'd suggest posting a question on the Windows Phone developer forum at social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/home and hopefully someone there will be able to provide some additional ideas for you to try out.

87. Kamran says:

Actually, installing the 7.8 update seems to also install the 7.1.1 update, so that fixed my issue. My overall issue was that VS2013 does not yet support the 7.1+ SDKs, so I eventually had to reinstall all of this after reinstalling VS2012 and now everything is working.

88. Giancarlo says:

Thank you!

89. Avi says:

As usual MS has botched the job, I'll go back to good old C++ and …. managed code that MS is so proud of.

90. Praninder says:

I fixed it.. But when i am trying to run the emulator it says windows is having compatible issues. And shows "get online help". when i click on it. it redirects to page " support.microsoft.com/…/2618032 " . where it displays "The page you are looking for may have a new location, or is no longer available". Any help??

91. Praninder says:

After installing windows 7.1 I am trying to install windows 7.1.1 , bt it shows a message saying "

KB2669191 does not apply, or is blocked by another condition on your computer.  Please see go.microsoft.com/fwlink for more details." how should i fix it?? please help me out.. its very urgent

92. astebner says:

Hi Praninder – The Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 update is supposed to fix the emulator compatibility issue on Windows 8.  If you have that update installed and you're still seeing an emulator error, then I'm not sure what else to suggest.  In that case, you might want to try posting a question on the Windows Phone tools forum at social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/home to see if someone there has some other ideas for you to try.

93. Praninder says:

Can you please find the answer and bring to my notice? if you dont have any problem??

94. astebner says:

Hi Praninder – On my Windows 8 computers, the way I solved the emulator compatibility issue that you describe was to install the Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1. Update.  You might want to try to uninstall and re-install that update to see if it helps on your computer.

95. Cri says:

I have tried to download the latest version of Game for Windows Live-Redestributable (i'm not interested in phone development). I have tried to relaunch the installation process but it doesn't work, this is my log: Bootstrapper.exe: locale arg=en-US

Bootstrapper.exe version=4.0.20823.0

BetaCheck: found installed framework key=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstall{2BFC7AA0-544C-4E3A-8796-67F3BE655BE9}

BetaCheck: found installed framework version=4.0.20823.0

Bootstrapper.exe: initializing install mode

RequirementChecks: OS=Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0

RequirementChecks: IsAdmin=True

RequirementChecks: HaveVisualStudio=False

RequirementChecks: OS=Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0

RequirementChecks: IsAdmin=True

RequirementChecks: HaveVisualStudio=False

Install wizard ending, return code=5998

Seems not recognize my visual studio, i have Visual Studio 2013 Express , Maybe it works only with visual studio 10?

96. astebner says:

Hi Cri – XNA Game Studio 4.0 only officially supports VS 2010.  There are XNA components for Windows Phone development that ship with the Windows Phone SDKs for VS 2012 and VS 2013.  The blog post that you linked is one possible unofficially supported way to get XNA Game Studio components for platforms other than Windows Phone to integrate with VS 2012.

97. Nghia says:

thanks you.

98. Greg says:

99. Josh says:

Hey,

I tried installing XNA Game Studio 4.0 on Windows 8.1 and kept giving me a non-compatibility error. I placed the log files in my OneDrive file server. I have the link below

onedrive.live.com

If you can help me get this installed, it would be most appreciated!

100. astebner says:

Hi Josh – I'm sorry, but the OneDrive link that you posted doesn't seem to work for me.  Can you double-check the location and post an updated link?

Also, just to confirm, have you already tried to install the latest Games for Windows – LIVE redistributable like I suggested at the beginning of this blog post to see if it helps unblock you in this scenario?

101. Ashish Ahuja says:

Sir,

The setup starts in my PC but just before completion of the installation,setup stops due to an unknown error.

The link to its log files– onedrive.live.com/redir

102. astebner says:

Hi Ashish Ahuja – I took a look at your log files, and the XnaLiveProxy component is failing with the following error:

MSI (s) (1C:48) [16:27:56:062]: Product: Microsoft XNA Game Studio 4.0 (XnaLiveProxy) — Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action InitializeXnaLiveProxy, location: C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft XNAXNA Game Studiov4.0BinXnaLiveProxy.exe, command: /install

In the past, most of the cases where I've seen this error have been resolved by installing the latest Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable from http://www.xbox.com/…/DownloadClient.  Can you please give that a try and see if it helps resolve this error?

103. Dipon Roy says:

Thank you for the post. I was been facing such problems for few days. And this realy helped me out.

104. Akin says:

Thanks alot

105. Kamo x Michau says:

Thanx

106. Joel says:

Gracias

107. ORParga says:

well done. Thnaks

108. Lakes says:

I hope this works.

109. Saikrishna says:

Kidilam!! Thanks!

110. Kartik says:

Thanks. Was able to run the Kinect avateering app finally.

111. Oscar says:

Thanks alot

112. Kinit says:

A million thanks to you bro! It worked like a charm.

113. Sam says:

You are awesome, thank you so much! 😀

114. jacob says:

still says "Missing requirements"

115. astebner says:

Hi Jacob – The error that you are seeing is different than the one caused by the issue in this blog post, so the workaround listed in this blog post won't help in that scenario.  Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

116. Sambhav says:

Bootstrapper.exe: locale arg=en-US

Bootstrapper.exe version=4.0.20823.0

Bootstrapper.exe: initializing install mode

RequirementChecks: OS=Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0

RequirementChecks: IsAdmin=True

Install wizard ending, return code=5998

117. astebner says:

Hi Sambhav – Exit code 5998 means setup was cancelled.  Have you already tried the workaround listed in this blog post and it didn't help?  If so, can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

118. César Martins says:

Thank you so much! It Saved the day!

119. Chip112 says:

Hi,

I am having a different issue than the ones described here…I installed everything as directed, but upon launch of Visual Studio 2010 Express, it's giving me an error that says "Invalid license data. Reinstall is required." This persists even if I repair or reinstall. Any thoughts? I also get an impassable "license has expired" issue when trying to install Visual Studio Express 2013, and I'm wondering if it has to do with the new Visual Studio release, though it happens even when installing offline.

I also have no logs folder so I'm not sure what to do about that.

Thanks again

120. astebner says:

Hi Chip112 – I'm sorry, but I don't have much expertise troubleshooting Visual Studio licensing issues.  I'd suggest posting a question on the Visual Studio setup forum at social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/home to see if someone there can provide a fix or workaround for this issue for you.

121. Reva123 says:

Hi, Can we install XNA on Visual Studio (community edition) 2013?  XNA download for VS 2013 is available on this link  msxna.codeplex.com/…/117230, but when I build a project got an error "Your installation of XNA Game Studio does not support this project (XNA Platform = 'Windows Phone', XNA Framework Version = 'v4.0').

I have installed windows Phone SDK 8 for windows 8.

122. astebner says:

Hi Reva123 – I didn't work on that Codeplex project, so I am not sure what is causing the error that you describe.  The documentation on the site say that that project supports Visual Studio 2013 Pro, Premium, Ultimate, and Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows Desktop.  I don't think the community edition is supported based on that documentation.  I'd recommend contacting the project coordinator and/or posting an issue on the Codeplex page to get support for the error that you're seeing.

123. astebner says:

Hi Hamza – Your logs show that you're running into the exact same issue described earlier in this  blog post.  Can you please try installing the latest Game for Windows – LIVE Redistributable from http://www.xbox.com/…/DownloadClient, then re-run XNA Game Studio setup and see if that helps?

For reference, I used the technique described in the "How to diagnose this issue" section of the blog post at blogs.msdn.com/…/10570404.aspx to review your log files and determine the root cause of the setup failure.

124. AZTECA says:

exelente amigo me funciono perfecto

125. DONalex says:

Thanks allot, to bad they didn't implemented this directly.

126. graduatesbrick says:

Its good

127. DonnellBieker says:

It's realy good works.

128. mollyspencer says:

Outstanding…!!

129. John Carter says:

dude… You're awesome!

130. Matthew Doucette says:

I just tried this solution today, with a new Windows 10 Pro setup, and it worked. Specifically, I had to install "Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable" and then "XNA Game Studio 4.0" install worked!