Rob Mensching posted an item on his blog announcing the release of the WiX v3.6 beta. The key feature in WiX v3.6 is the Burn bootstrapper/chainer. To summarize Rob’s post, Burn includes the following features:
- Modern setup UI, including using managed code for setup UI even if the .NET Framework isn’t installed
- Child setup package download management
- Unified progress UI across packages
- Package-level reference counting
- Patch slip-streaming
- Elevation prompt management
In addition, all known WiX core toolset bugs that were opened against WiX v3.5 or earlier have been fixed in the WiX v3.6 beta.
I encourage you to download the WiX v3.6 beta and give it a try if you get a chance.