Last week, we released the final version of the Windows Phone SDK 7.1, which includes the final version of the XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh. After a bit of a delay, we have now also released the standalone versions of the XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh and the XNA Framework 4.0 Refresh so you can download and install them separately if you plan to develop Windows and/or Xbox 360 games with XNA Game Studio but do not want to install the full Windows Phone SDK 7.1 in order to do so.
Here are the standalone download links:
XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh
- Download page - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=27599
- Direct download link - http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/C/6/EC68782D-872A-4D58-A8D3-87881995CDD4/XNAGS40_setup.exe
XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 Refresh
- Download page - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=27598
- Direct download link - http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/3/A/53A804C8-EC78-43CD-A0F0-2FB4D45603D3/xnafx40_redist.msi
If you have the original version of XNA Game Studio 4.0 or the XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 installed on your computer, the Refresh installers will automatically upgrade them for you behind the scenes. If you have any beta version of the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 installed, the Refresh installers will not automatically upgrade them, and you will need to uninstall the beta version first.
If you encounter XNA Game Studio setup failures
If you run into an installation or uninstallation failure for XNA Game Studio, please zip your setup log files, upload them to a file server of your choice (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and post a link to the log files in the App Hub Forums or in a comment on my blog to get additional support. Here are the log file locations for each version of XNA Game Studio:
- XNA Game Studio 2.0 - %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v2.0\Setup\Logs
- XNA Game Studio 3.0 - %temp%\XNA Game Studio 3.0 Setup\Logs
- XNA Game Studio 3.1 - %temp%\XNA Game Studio 3.1 Setup\Logs
- XNA Game Studio 4.0 - %temp%\XNA Game Studio 4.0 Setup\Logs
- XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh - %temp%\XNA Game Studio 4.0 Setup\Logs
If you run into uninstallation issues with any release of the Windows Phone SDK or XNA Game Studio, you can use the cleanup tool described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/9544320.aspx to forcibly remove the Windows Phone SDK or XNA Game Studio.