As announced on the Windows Phone Developer Blog and on the App Hub web site, the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2 (formerly named the Windows Phone Developer Tools, and which includes the XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh Beta 2 as well) was released for download earlier this week.
The Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2 includes the following changes from the original Windows Phone Developer Tools 7.1 Beta release:
- Profiler for Windows Phone OS 7.1 applications and games
- Isolated Storage Explorer that you can use to access isolated storage for your applications and games on a device or the emulator
- Advertising SDK is now installed as a part of the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 instead of being a separate download
- Emulator performance and reliability improvements
- Many bug fixes across all features of the tools and runtime
Getting Started links
Here are links to help you get started installing and using the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2:
- Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2 web download bootstrapper
- Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2 full download ISO image
- Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2 release notes
Here are some links to useful documentation to help you get started with the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2:
- What’s new in the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2
- Windows Phone developer documentation home
- XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh developer documentation home
- Windows Phone OS 7.1 code samples
- App Hub getting started page
- App Hub game developer education home
Here are some links if you run into questions or issues with the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2:
- App Hub forums
- Connect site for reporting Windows Phone Developer Tools bugs and suggestions
- Connect site for reporting Expression Blend bugs and suggestions
- Connect site for reporting XNA Game Studio bugs and suggestions
How to install
Here are steps you can use to install the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2:
- If you have any Visual Studio 2010 editions (such as Professional, Ultimate, C# Express, etc) installed on your computer, you will need to install Visual Studio 2010 SP1 first.
- If you have the original WPDT 7.1 Beta installed, you must uninstall it before installing the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2. To uninstall it, you can go to the Programs and Features control panel and uninstall the item named Microsoft Windows Phone Developer Tools 7.1 Beta - ENU and that will automatically uninstall all of the beta components that you need to remove before proceeding to install the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2.
Note: If you have the original Windows Phone 7 version of WPDT and/or XNA Game Studio 4.0 installed, you do not need to uninstall them. The Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2 and the XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh Beta 2 will automatically uninstall the previous version for you behind the scenes. You only need to uninstall previous 7.1 beta builds.
- After updating any existing editions of VS 2010 to SP1 and uninstalling any previous beta versions of WPDT that you previously installed, you can proceed with installing the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2.
If you encounter Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2 setup failures
If you run into an installation or uninstallation failure for the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2, you can use the log collection tool to gather your setup log files. This log collection tool will create a file named %temp%\vslogs.cab.
Once you have gathered your setup log files, you can upload them to a file server of your choice (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and post a link to the log files in the forums to get additional support.
If you run into uninstallation issues with any release of the Windows Phone Developer Tools or XNA Game Studio, you can use the cleanup tool described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/9544320.aspx to remove the Windows Phone SDK or XNA Game Studio.
<update date="7/5/2011"> Added a link to download the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2 ISO image. </update>