Mailbag: Why does Windows Update continue offering the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 after I install it?

Question:

I recently installed the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on my computer.  Afterwards, I went to the Windows Update site to check for updates, and I see the following item in the list of updates that my computer needs:

Does this mean that the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 failed to install correctly when I installed it previously?  What do I do to fix this issue?

Answer:

No, this does not mean that the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 failed to install correctly on your system.  Unfortunately, the wording of the name of this update in Windows Update is confusing.  The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update is an additional hotfix package that needs to be installed after installing the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.  Windows Update automatically bundles the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 with the .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update if it detects that the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is not yet installed on your computer.  However, if the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is already installed on your computer, Windows Update will only install the .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update even though the name of the item includes “Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1” in it.

If your computer is in this state, you should be able to simply allow Windows Update to install the .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update on your system.

Additional troubleshooting steps in case the .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update fails to install

Note that if the .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update fails to install, there should be log files created on your computer to help narrow down the cause of the failure further.  They will be located in a sub-directory of your %temp% directory and have a folder name that includes the KB number of the .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update.  There are several possible KB numbers for the .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update:

• KB958481
  • KB958483
  • KB958484

1. Teryy says:

I am having the same thing I allow the install and it keeps reminding me to instal and then it informs me the download failed !!!!!!This is a continuing problem whats wrong???

2. Hi Teryy – What is the exact package that is failing on your computer?  Also, is it failing to download or failing to install after it is downloaded?  If it is a download failure, I'd suggest trying to manually download and install the package instead of letting Windows Update download it for you.  For the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, you can download it from download.microsoft.com/…/dotnetfx35.exe.

If it is an install failure and not a download failure, please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that is created by that tool to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a further look.

3. Don says:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

is continually selected during Windows update. Unable to deselect it unable to hide it. Unable to download and install any other update from Windows update. No solution under each problem description for failed update is given. Running Windows XP Home. This has been happening for about six months.

4. Don says:

After posting above i saw the Net Framework Cleanup tool to the left. Ran it then reinstalled Net Framework from Windows Update sucessfully.

5. Karim says:

The .net framework 3.5 just doesn't work for me. It tells me that the Service pack 1 is not installed and even that doesn't install for me. It is really annoying and there seems to be no solution, please help me out!

6. Hi Karim – I'm sorry for the hassles that this issue is causing for you.  Can you please run the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that is created by that tool to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download the logs and take a further look?

7. teag says:

I have the same problem somedays its OK and then another day, it shows that update is ready to install, why can't wWindows fix it as I noticed that fil also shows   ZERO KB  in that download file, ?????  maybe thats why itsa ZREO KB IN THAT FILE??

8. Hi Teag – I'm not sure why you're seeing this behavior with zero byte files.  It might help to try to reset your Windows Update components by using the information in the knowledge base article at support.microsoft.com/…/971058.

9. not installing on windows 7 says:

i found my antivirus software had an interface to download and install the MS update software (a security feature) that was failing with the ms direct install, I dont know if the antivirus software was preventing the problem or solved it,, bitdefender, just for your info 🙂 but now my system is updated

it downloaded with win7 sp1 🙂

10. john@rickatson.com says:

The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update repetedly fails to install

i.e.

I have used the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx and uploaded the file named %temp%vslogs.cab to:

cid-18df5ab0f41abeb8.office.live.com/…/Public

Could you please download the logs and take a further look?

Thanks in anticipation.

mailto:john@rickatson.com

11. Hi JohnnyReaction – From looking at your logs, it appears that the installation is failing because there is something missing from one of the previously installed versions of the .NET Framework.  I'd suggest using the steps and the cleanup tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/8108332.aspx to fully remove all versions of the .NET Framework from your computer, then re-install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, then try again to visit Windows Update and install this family update.

12. Constantin says:

None of above helped for me and this fails to install for me too offered over and over again from Microsoft Update:

NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86.exe fails for me.

Can you please look at the logs over here: cid-a124c799c0bf6340.office.live.com/…/vslogs.cab

thanks

13. Constantin says:

After installing .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1, some of the msp files it contains were installed inside %WINDIR%Installer without a digital signature, tough the patch itself comes with a digital signature, then the issue appears that the family update or any other update in this case is not processed further and windows update continue offering it. If you are interested here is the solution

social.technet.microsoft.com/…/c455c445-b412-477b-b6bf-12c09a450788

14. Dragon says:

MY windows keeps wanting to install the security update for net framework 3.5.1 for windows 7, but each time it fails to configure. But when I look in my control panel I have Net framework 1.1, framework 4 client profile, and framework 4 extended. Does that mean I dont need the 3.5 security update? I have been trying to update this for over a week now and nothing works.

Can you please help me.

15. Hi Dragon – Can you please run the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that is created by that tool to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download the logs and take a further look?

16. Dragon says:

ok I did it, I think this is the link. cid-26757dab089c99c6.office.live.com/…/.Documents.

This was my first time posting to an online site. Let me know if I did it right? Thanks.

17. Dragon says:

cid-26757dab089c99c6.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx.

This is the link to my logs. I'm sorry.

18. Hi Dragon – I don't see any specific errors for .NET Framework updates in the logs that you posted.  What is the exact KB number of the update that is failing to install?

It might help for you to try to remove and re-add the .NET Framework 3.5.  To do that, open the Windows Features control panel by running optionalfeatures.exe, uncheck the item named Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, press OK to remove it.  Afterwards, go back and re-add it.

I also forgot to explain why you're being offered this update in my previous reply.  Windows 7 includes the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 as a part of the OS, but it does not appear in the list of installed programs because it is an OS component.

19. Dragon says:

Sir,

It won't install kb2446709. Do I need this update?

Jeff

20. Dragon says:

Sir,

I went to the windows list, and the 3.5 .netframwork was never checked. The box was just highlighted. So I tried to download the whole thing from the ms website and it keeps saying that I have to start or stop the windows features. Nothing works.

21. Hi Dragon – I'm not sure what you mean by the .NET Framework 3.5 being highlighted but not checked.  Can you try to uncheck it and recheck it and see if that helps?

Also, I see a lot of errors in your cbs.log file that look like this:

2011-05-13 20:57:12, Info                  CBS    Failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 – CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE]

It might help to try to run the System Update Readiness Tool to see if it helps repair this type of error.  You can find that tool at support.microsoft.com/…/947821.

One other thing that might help is to download and run the installer for KB2446709 directly instead of letting Windows Update download it for you.  You can find it at http://www.microsoft.com/…/ms11-028.mspx.  Running it directly might succeed, and if it still fails, it might give a more useful error message (because Windows Update runs the update in silent mode, which suppresses some types of error messages).

You cannot run the standalone download package for the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 7 because the .NET Framework 3.5 is included as a part of the OS.  That is why it tells you to use the Windows Features control panel when you run it.

22. frustrated 411 says:

I have the same problem – everytime I run updates it picks .NET Framework 3/5 pack 1 and then everytime it will dont be sucessful in downloading and installing it

It gives me the following error:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Failed to fetch setup file in CBaseComponent::PreInstall()

setup.exe: [2] ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InternalInstallManager() with HRESULT -2147467260.

setup.exe: [2] CSetupManager::RunInstallPhase() – Call to Pre/Install/Post for InstallComponents failed

setup.exe: [2] CSetupManager::RunInstallPhaseAndCheckResults() – RunInstallPhase() returned a NULL piActionResults

setup.exe: [2] CSetupManager::RunInstallFromList() – RunInstallPhaseAndCheckResults failed [2]

setup.exe: [2] ISetupManager::RunInstallLists(IP_PREINSTALL failed in ISetupManager::RunInstallFromThread()

setup.exe: [2] ISetupManager::RunInstallFromThread() failed in ISetupManager::RunInstall()

setup.exe: [2] CSetupManager::Run() – Call to RunInstall() failed

WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.

WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates XPSEPSC Installer was not attempted to be installed.

WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0a was not attempted to be installed.

WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package' was not attempted to be installed.

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0a. MSI returned error code 1603

WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0a is not installed.

After reading the above entries I'm wondering if I need to run through the above .NET Framework Clean up Tool also?

23. Hi Frustrated 411 – Can you please run the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that is created by that tool to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), then reply back here and post a link that I can use to download the logs and take a further look?

24. ЛЭЯ says:

Добрый день!!! Постоянно просит обновления, а после такая табличка после обновления: Пакет обновления 1 (SP1) для среды Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 и обновление для семейства .NET Framework 3.5 (версии 2.0—3.5) для систем на базе процессоров x86 (KB951847) …что делать…подскажите пожалуйста…

25. Hi ЛЭЯ – It might help to try to reset Windows Update components on your computer by using the information at blogs.msdn.com/…/10207487.aspx.

It might also help to try to fully uninstall and re-install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, then go back to Windows Update and have it check for updates again.  You can find uninstall and re-install steps and a tool to help with that process at blogs.msdn.com/…/8108332.aspx.

26. wanabgeek says:

very interesting,so many problems,finally it dawned on me! you aint seen nothing yet,its that old black majik! making you do stuff,get everybody on board,then jerk out the rug!!try pay your bills by the us mail?can we  still do that?!wake up people,and read those windows update lic agreements you are consenting to!(windows updates are becoming a bit hard to get let alone keep, my whole update history vanished! poof!ITS ALL BY DESIGN!)so starting over,they are making sure you recheck all those consenting agreements!WHY? BECAUSE THEY ARE REWRITTEN SO ITS TOTALLY LEGAL TO INVADE YOUR PRIVACY read them,anybody want to buy a computer? WAKE UP PEOPLE! computers are fine but the powers that be are WOLFS IN SHEEP SUITS!

Skip to main content