- Extension Manager integration – you can download and install WiX v3.5 directly from within the VS 2010 IDE; to do this, launch VS 2010 Professional Edition or higher, click on the Tools menu, choose Extension Manager...., select the Online Gallery on the left side of the Extension Manager UI, expand Tools, then Build, and you’ll see the Windows Installer XML Toolset listed there.
- WiX can now run on the .NET Framework 4 and it can process .NET Framework 4 assemblies during builds.
- Major performance improvement when building WiX projects in the VS IDE – you will no longer see the VS IDE appear to hang during builds.
- Automatic upgrade of .wixproj files from the VS 2008 file format to the VS 2010 file format.
- Improvements in the VS IDE experience for WiX projects – drag/drop of nodes, copy/paste of items, project references.
- Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition detection properties and custom actions have been added to the WixVSExtension.
- Numerous other miscellaneous bug fixes.
If you encounter any bugs with these new features or have suggestions for improvements, please report them on the WiX bug reporting site or the WiX feature request site. If you have any questions about using these new features or about WiX in general, I encourage you to use the WiX mailing lists.