Issue installing the .NET Framework 3.5 or 3.5 SP1 on checked or pre-release builds of Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008

I have heard from a couple of customers who ran into issues installing the .NET Framework 3.5 and/or the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on one of the following OS types:

• Checked (also known as debug) builds of Windows Vista and/or Windows Server 2008
  • Pre-release builds of Windows Vista and/or Windows Server 2008

One of these customer reports can be found in this forum post.  I wanted to describe this scenario in more detail in case anyone else runs into a similar issue in the future.

Description of the issue

The .NET Framework 3.5 and 3.5 SP1 install service packs for the .NET Framework 2.0 and the .NET Framework 3.0 behind the scenes.  On Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 service packs are installed as OS updates.  These OS updates are marked to only install on the final release versions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.  That means that they will not allow you to install them on checked builds of these OS’s, and they will also not allow you to install them on pre-release versions of these OS’s.

Here is the exact list of .NET Framework 3.5 installation scenarios that will fail on checked builds of the OS or pre-release builds of the OS:

• Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on the original release of Windows Vista (but not Windows Vista SP1 or later)
  • Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on the original release of Windows Vista or Windows Vista SP1
  • Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2008

However, installing the original release of the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Vista SP1 or Windows Server 2008 will not fail due to this issue.  This is because Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 already include the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 as OS components, so .NET Framework 3.5 setup does not need to install any OS updates on those systems.

How to work around the issue

Unfortunately, there is not a workaround that will allow you to install on a checked build or a pre-release build of Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.  Instead, you will need to install a final release build of Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, then re-run .NET Framework 3.5 or 3.5 SP1 setup.

How to diagnose the issue

If you try to install in one of the above configurations, you will see the following error in the .NET Framework 3.5 or 3.5 SP1 log file named %temp%\dd_dotnetfx35install.txt:

[08/08/08,11:11:11] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS): ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 1.

Error code 1 for Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 OS update packages means that the package is not applicable on the current OS.

Important note about error code 1 during .NET Framework 3.5 or 3.5 SP1 setup

Please note that this blog post only describes one possible cause of error code 1 during .NET Framework 3.5 or 3.5 SP1 installation.  If you are not running a checked build of Windows or a pre-release version of Windows, then the issue described here is not the cause of the installation failure on your system.

If you are running into error code 1 but are not running a checked or pre-release build of Windows, then it typically helps to review the .NET Framework 3.5 log files to try to learn more about the root cause of the issue.  You can find more information about what log files are produced by .NET Framework 3.5 setup in this blog post, and there is information in this blog post that describes options for reporting installation failures back to Microsoft for additional investigation.

The logs that are typically the most useful in diagnosing error code 1 are the following:

• %temp%\dd_dotnetfx35install.txt
  • %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log
  • %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log

1. sushma.korlepara says:

Thanks a lot for this article. I was trying to install 3.5 framework on the original Windows Vista and landed up with the same issue. Now I can reinstall 3.5 framework by installing Windows Vista final release 🙂

2. astebner says:

Hi Sushma – The issue described in this blog post won’t affect the original release of Windows Vista – it will only affect pre-release versions of Windows Vista (such as betas or release candidates).  It will also affect checked/debug OS builds.

3. ROWAID says:

شكرا على البرنامج الرائع وكان يفضل ان يكون التحميل في إطار واحد

4. Kathleen says:

I keep getting error code 57.

5. astebner says:

Hi Kathleen – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to gather all of your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file named vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), then reply back here with a link I can use to download your log files and take a further look?  Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out more about what is causing this error by looking at your log files.

6. Inna says:

I have .net 3.5.1 installed on my windows 2008 server. but, the server manager still shows that i have .net 3.0. however, the control panel doesn't have it listed, it has only .net3.5.1

How do I get rid of 3.0 and be able to configure features in server manager for .net 3.5.1?

7. astebner says:

Hi Inna – What exact edition of Windows Server 2008 do you have?  Is it the original, one of the service packs or R2?  There are different versions of the .NET Framework that are included as a part of the OS depending on what edition of Windows Server 2008 that you have.

8. Fernando says:

It wont let me download the Framwork package. I have tried many ways but it just wont do it.

Know my Laptop keeps on asking for those updates and wont stop. How can i resolve this issue?

9. Fernando says:

I have XP

10. astebner says:

Hi Fernando – How are you trying to download this package exactly?  Also, do you have problems downloading other software on this computer?

11. cliff says:

service pack downloads but will not install

12. astebner says:

Hi Cliff – What exact service pack are you referring to?

13. Rob says:

I have a problem installing the .NET Framework 3.5 or 3.5 SP1 it downloads but will not install

14. astebner says:

Hi Rob – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com) and then reply back here and post a link that I can use to download your log files and take a further look?

15. wayne says:

i keep getting error code 57 on my pre installed version of windows vista

16. astebner says:

Hi Wayne – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com) and then reply back here and post a link that I can use to download your log files and take a further look?

17. Lexie says:

I'm having the same problem as Rob. It will download but hasn't installed for months. I think I collected all of my setup log files correctly. Here's the link, but I'm not sure if it's correct: cid-658a0fb33b2b7f56.office.live.com/…/vslogs.cab

18. astebner says:

Hi Lexie – I don't see any .NET Framework setup log files in the vslogs.cab that you uploaded.  Can you please try to download and install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx (instead of letting Windows Update try to install it)?

If it fails this way too, please re-run the tool to create a new vslogs.cab, upload it, and post an updated link so I can take a look.

19. Lexie says:

Thank you, that worked! But now my computer is telling me I need to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and is having the same error. Any advice?

20. astebner says:

Hi Lexie – If you're having trouble installing OS updates or service packs, then I'd suggest trying the System Update Readiness Tool.  I posted a link to the tool and some steps that I've used in the past at blogs.msdn.com/…/9303167.aspx.  Hopefully this will help in your scenario too.

If that doesn't help, then I'd suggest trying to contact Microsoft technical support for further troubleshooting assistance.  You can find contact information for them at http://support.microsoft.com.

21. Michael says:

Where can I update my windows vista to final release?

22. astebner says:

Hi Michael – If you are still running a pre-release version of Windows Vista, you will need to buy a copy of the final version of Windows Vista and upgrade your computer.

23. Milt says:

I cannot get the service pack to down load on Windows 7, any thoughts?

24. astebner says:

Hi Milt – Do you mean the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or a Windows 7 service pack?  If you mean the .NET Framework, then there is no need to install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows 7 because it is already included as a part of the OS.

25. Harshit says:

Hello.. I want to install security patch for my windows server 2008(Not R2) with service pack 2 is running plz help me to find this update  –  Windows Security Updates 951847

Thanks in advance..

26. astebner says:

Hi Harshit – Are you having trouble downloading this update or are you having trouble getting it to install correctly?

If it is a download problem, then please make sure that you have the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed from http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx, and then try to download this update from http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx.

If it is an installation problem, please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com) and then reply back here and post a link that I can use to download your log files and take a further look.

27. Marc Robbins says:

where the hell can I get my hands on service pack 1 for vista home basic???

28. astebner says:

Hi Marc Robbins – I did a quick Bing search and found the link at http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx.  Does this download work for you?

29. Betty says:

I can't install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 but 2.0 service pack 2 installed why will one install but not the other?

30. astebner says:

Hi Betty – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com) and then reply back here and post a link that I can use to download your log files and take a further look?

31. Pam says:

I'm having a problem installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.2 Family Update for .NET Versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86.  What can I do to resolve this issue?

32. astebner says:

Hi Pam – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com) and then reply back here and post a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

33. Matt says:

Can you help me please ? instalation error Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603

34. astebner says:

Hi Matt – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (like http://skydrive.live.com) and then reply back here and post a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

35. astebner says:

Hi Matt – The logs you attached show that the .NET Framework 3.5 is failing with the following error:

Error 25541.Failed to open XML file C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727CONFIGweb_mediumtrust.config, system error: -2147024786

I'd suggest trying the following to see if it helps solve this issue:

1.  Rename the file C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727CONFIGweb_mediumtrust.config to web_mediumtrust.config.old

2.  Make a copy of the file named C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727CONFIGweb_mediumtrust.config.default

3.  Rename the copy that you made to web_mediumtrust.config

4.  Try again to install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Hopefully this will help.

36. Matt says:

Hi

It doesnt work.

[09/22/11,15:30:28] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603

[09/22/11,15:39:02] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603

[09/22/11,15:39:23] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package' is not installed.

[09/22/11,15:43:09] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603

[09/22/11,16:33:35] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603

[09/22/11,17:12:22] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603

[09/22/11,21:04:36] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603

[09/22/11,21:04:50] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package' is not installed.

[09/26/11,15:29:22] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603

[09/26/11,15:29:36] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package' is not installed.

37. astebner says:

Hi Matt – I'm sorry to hear that those steps didn't help.  Could you please collect and upload an updated set of log files from your computer so I can see if you're getting the same error afterwards or if it is now failing due to some other cause?

38. astebner says:

Hi Matt – Your new logs show the same error when setup tries to open web_mediumtrust.config.  It it possible that the file or folder has some kind of permission problem that is preventing setup from being able to access it.  Can you please double-check that the folder and file are both marked to allow Administrators and the local system account to have full control?

If that doesn't help, then I'd suggest trying the repair steps listed at blogs.msdn.com/…/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx.  If those steps don't work either, then you might have to repair/re-install Windows to solve this type of error.

39. Matt says:

Both accounts doesnt have full control and when I wanted to change it , the windows wrote "access denied" . I was logged as Administrator.

40. astebner says:

Hi Matt – You might need to try to take ownership of these items.  There are some steps that explain how to do this for registry keys at http://www.raymond.cc/…/full-control-permission-to-delete-or-edit-restricted-windows-registry, and the steps to do this for files and folders are similar.

41. Matt says:

Ok , thank you for your help but Im a layman in Pcs. Can you please tell me what registry should I allow ?  Theres a lot of registry and and dont know which allow.

42. astebner says:

Hi Matt – Here are steps that you should be able to use to update your file and folder permissions:

1.  Right-click on the file or folder and choose Properties.

2.  Click on the Security tab.

3.  Click on the Edit button to change the settings.

4.  Add the items named SYSTEM and Administrators and check the box to allow Full Control permissions for each of them.

43. Matt says:

I cant do that ….  "access denied"

44. astebner says:

Hi Matt – I'm not sure how to reset permissions if you're getting access denied using those steps.  The tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/solving-setup-errors-by-using-the-subinacl-tool-to-repair-file-and-registry-permissions.aspx might help.  If that tool doesn't help either, you might need to repair/re-install Windows to resolve this issue.

45. Matt says:

Hi

I reset permissions and allowed full control for both accounts but framework 3.5 still can not install. It returns the same error.

46. astebner says:

Hi Matt – I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what else to suggest other than to repair/re-install Windows at this point.  Before doing that, you might want to try to contact Microsoft technical support to see if they can provide some more in-depth troubleshooting steps for you to try.  You can find their contact information at http://support.microsoft.com.

47. phill says:

Error Code 1063 when installing .net 3.5. i have ran the .net clean up tool, allowed access to the web_mediumtrust.config file. and im sill gettign teh same error

48. astebner says:

Hi Phill – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

49. deepthi says:

I have .net 4.5 installed on my windows 2008 server r2. but, the server manager still shows that i have .net 3.5.1 however, the control panel doesn't have it listed, it has only .net 4.5

How do I get rid of 3.5.1 and be able to configure features in server manager for .net 4.5?

50. astebner says:

Hi Deepthi – The .NET Framework 3.5.1 comes installed as a part of the OS on Windows Server 2008 R2, and it does not appear in the Installed Programs control panel list because of that.  You need to use the Features control panel in Server Manager to enable/disable the .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2.