How to uninstall the components of the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Question:

As described in this blog post, I have been evaluating the beta of the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and Visual Studio 2008 SP1.  I ran into some issues running my application on a system with this software installed, so I need to uninstall it.  I have tried to uninstall the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, but all of the .NET Framework 2.0 assemblies are still at the SP2 level and are not rolled back.  How can I fully uninstall the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1?

Answer:

The .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is a slipstream replacement for the original release of the .NET Framework 3.5.  It installs the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and the .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 behind the scenes, and 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 are both slipstream replacements of previous versions of the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0.

In order to fully uninstall the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and return to the .NET Framework 3.5, .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP1, you must use the following steps.  Note that there are different steps on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 than on earlier versions of Windows because the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are OS components on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

How to uninstall the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003:

1. Go to the Add/Remove Programs control panel

2. Find the product named Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and uninstall it

3. Find the product named Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 and uninstall it

4. Find the product named Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and uninstall it

5. Re-install the original release of the .NET Framework 3.5 (which will re-install the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and the .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 behind the scenes)

How to uninstall the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008:

Note – these steps are not required if you had a beta version of the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and plan to upgrade to the final release.  Behind the scenes, the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 packages are designed to upgrade older beta versions of the same packages.  These steps are only needed if you are trying to fully remove the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in order to move back to a previous version of the .NET Framework.

1. Go to the Programs and Features control panel

2. Find the product named Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and uninstall it

3. In the Programs and Features control panel, click the link on the left named View Installed Updates

4. In the list of installed updates, look for an item named Update for Microsoft Windows (KB948610) – this is the .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 OS update package

5. Right-click on the item and choose Uninstall

6. In the list of installed updates, look for an item named Update for Microsoft Windows (KB948609) – this is the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 OS update package

7. Right-click on the item and choose Uninstall

8. Reboot

9. Re-install the original release of the .NET Framework 3.5 (which will re-install the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and the .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 behind the scenes)

<update date=”8/7/2008″> Added a note clarifying that these uninstall steps are not needed when moving from a beta to the final release.  They are only needed when doing a full uninstall in order to move back to a previous version of the .NET Framework on a system. </update>

1. Disinstallare il Service Pack 1 del .NET Framework 3.5

2. quentez says:

Very good article. That’s just what I needed after hours of research. Thank you Aaron šŸ˜‰

3. Benedikt Kratz says:

I am using Windows Server 2008, I ran into some issues when upgrading to 3.5 sp1 (see the url). I tried to uninstall 2.0 sp2 just like you described, but in 2008 the "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB948610)" and "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB948609)" are not in my updates list. Is there a way to manually uninstall 2.0 sp1?

Thanks Benedikt

4. astebner says:

Hi Benedikt – The .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 are part of the OS on Windows Server 2008 and you cannot remove them.  However, you do not need to remove them in order to install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.  It is somewhat confusing because the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 log file states that it is trying to install the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1, but it is actually trying to install .NET 2.0 SP2.  The name used in the log file was not changed between the .NET Framework 3.5 and 3.5 SP1.

For this error code 1, I typically need to look at the following log files:

%temp%dd_dotnetfx35install.txt

%windir%logscbscbs.log

Could you please zip those logs, upload them to a file server somewhere, and post a link to where you uploaded them so we can take a further look?

5. You may have a need to uninstall .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, perhaps for testing purposes or because you

6. astebner says:

Hi all – For anyone reading this in the future, we figured out that the cause of Benedikt’s issue was that the install was being run on a checked (debug) build of Windows, and that is not supported for the .NET Framework 3.5 in this case.  I’ve posted more information about this particular scenario at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/08/25/8895729.aspx in case anyone runs into something similar in the future.

7. sparkinark says:

Ok, so you have spent your life doing this and read a copy of an anonymous person’s sfc cbs.log output before bed each night…

I can’t understand anything but I do recognize that there are words in there, so I’m guessing it’s readable.  It’s only a tiny bit more (expletive) up-ed than the bcd stores, which are easier to understand in the registry than in the command line, though you still have to tape three pages together and make a map for inheritances.

I think C++ has invaded the programmer’s heads at MS so completely that they have to re-remember the 7-day intro to OOD&P to get cash out of an ATM.  (That was it for me…  I had better luck with Laplace transforms)

Seriously, though, there is a huge wealth of information inside Vista 6/7 that I will never get to or understand and I’ve been a computer geek since age 12.  (Tandy 1000, cassette loaded).

Someone just show me where I can find the wait states for threads in the assembler code runtime output so I can find the bottlenecks in my computer.  So far, after 30 years, it seems it’s still the bus.

Anyway, I’ll just send you my 12.5MB tome and you can find the *one* line that’s important.  You send me your 401K investments and I’ll change them all around for you and only use Adam Smith’s 3 necessities.  They seem simple, but…

Shawn Harvey / sparkinark

sparkinark@yahoo.com

Oh, btw, love Vista 7 so far and can’t run anything that uses a C++ runtime, like all my games.  Didn’t want to use all that power on the two over-priced graphics cards anyway.

8. astebner says:

Hi Sparkinark – The cbs.log file is very long and verbose, so it can be tricky to locate the exact problems if you run into OS update installation issues.  I don’t have a ton of experience myself, but I pick up tricks here and there as I investigate issues.  If you’d like me to take a look at your log, please post it to a file server somewhere and reply with a link so I can download it.  Also, please describe the exact problem you’re running into in more detail so I’ll have a better idea of what to look for in the cbs.log.

9. The Issue: In the last few months, we have seen quite a few cases where after installing .net framework

10. The Issue: In the last few months, we have seen quite a few cases where after installing .net framework

11. The Issue: In the last few months, we have seen quite a few cases where after installing .net framework

12. Do you want to un-install the components of the .Net Framework 3.5 SP1? Then you need to read this article

13. Keebellah says:

Will see if this does the trick with W7 ultimate.

Thanks

14. Jeffness says:

I tried this method, but when i go to uninstall the updates, it comes up with "An error occured, Not all updates were uninstalled."

How can i fix this?

15. astebner says:

Hi Jeffness – I'm not sure how to solve this type of error.  It might help to try one of the following:

1.  Repair the files that are a part of your OS by running sfc /scannow from an elevated cmd prompt

2.  Try to re-install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

3.  Go to the Programs and Features control panel, click the item on the left named Turn Windows Features On or Off, locate the item named Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 and uncheck it, click OK.  Then go back and re-check Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 to re-enable it.

If none of the above help, then the log named %windir%logscbscbs.log might have some more useful error information.  You can use the tool at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to gather all of your .NET Framework setup log files, post the file %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool produces to a file server such as http://skydrive.live.com and then reply here with a link that I can use to download the logs and I can try to take a look and see if I can locate any errors if you'd like.

16. tracy says:

this hasnt worked on my computer i done everything that was written at the top of this page and it came up with an error, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 on just so it sorta works but i still yet have these things popping up when i start my computer and i also cant run the sims 3 because of this can someone please tell me how i can fix my pc and play sims 3.

17. astebner says:

Hi Tracy – I'm sorry for the hassles that this issue is causing for you.  I'm not sure I understand the exact problem though.  What are the exact error messages that you see when you start your computer and when you start the Sims 3?

18. Dave says:

19. astebner says:

Hi Dave – Usually, what I recommend for this type of error is to uninstall the .NET Framework 3.5 (if you have it), then uninstall 3.0 (if you have it), then uninstall 2.0, then re-install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (which will also re-install the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 behind the scenes).  Hopefully these steps will help solve this error on your computer.

20. diether says:

hey i have a problem

C:/Documents and Settings/Santos/My Documents/downloads/dotnetfx(1).exe is not valid win32 application

isnt the framework 1.1?

or my computer

plzz answer

21. astebner says:

Hi Diether – It sounds like the download of the .NET Framework setup package got corrupted on your computer somehow.  I'd suggest deleting it and trying to download it again to see if it will resolve this error.

22. rikho says:

Hi Aaron. I have do the solution step from dave question. And i got the same problem with dave.

"Please help ! C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv.2.0.50727configmachine.config Parser returned error 0xC00CE556"

i'cant un-install NET Framework 3.5,3.0 and 2.0.

the problems/error still comming up, upon i start-up my windows vista.

txs for your help.

23. astebner says:

Hi Rikho – I'd suggest doing the following to fix that machine.config error:

1.  Go to the folder named C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv.2.0.50727config

2.  Make a copy of the file named machine.config.default

3.  Rename the copy to be machine.config

Hopefully that will cause this error to go away.

24. eric says:

Aaron…Here's what I'm getting when my XP home tries to update.

"Some updates could not be installed…The following updates were not installed.

Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86 (KB963707)"

And I cannot delete this from add/remove programs list. Any suggestions?

25. astebner says:

Hi Eric – I'd suggest using the steps and the cleanup tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/8108332.aspx to fully remove the .NET Framework 3.5 from your computer, then re-install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and try to install this update again.

26. harold gardner says:

im very dissapointed with the update thing you have done

27. astebner says:

Hi Harold Gardner – Which exact update are you referring to?  Can you please provide more details about the issue that you're seeing so that I can try to help you find a solution?

28. Mark says:

Hello Aaron,

Great information.  I followed the steps for a In XP uninstall of 3.5 SP1.  When I try to re-install 3.5 I get an error saying

[07/08/11,18:07:07] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603.

Any suggestions.

29. astebner says:

Hi Mark – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to gather all of your .NET Framework setup log files, post the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server such as http://skydrive.live.com, and then reply here with a link that I can use to download the logs and take a further look?

30. Mondriaan says:

I installed Framework 4.0 now every time i visit windows update it wants to update Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update x86 .NET-versies 2.0 tot en met 3.5 installeren but the update will not succeed but i have still a few update after this left but cant reach them because microsoft wants first to install the framework update, how can i disable that so that i can install other updates?

31. astebner says:

Hi Mondriaan – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your .NET Framework setup log files, post the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and then reply here with a link that I can use to download the logs and take a further look?

32. Bob says:

Can 3.5 SP1 be removed if all the others were removed before it?  Add/Remove doesn't allow it, and by being there, it is causing problems with re-installing 2.0

33. astebner says:

Hi Bob – The .NET Framework 3.5 is supposed to prevent you from uninstalling the .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0 out from underneath it.  I'm not sure how you would've been able to uninstall 2.0 or 3.0 if you still have 3.5 installed.  I'd suggest trying to use the cleanup tools and the steps listed at blogs.msdn.com/…/8108332.aspx to fully remove the .NET Framework 3.5 and then try to re-install it afterwards.

34. m says:

help microsoft net frameneckwort 3.5 sp1 nya gak isa di uninstall

error

35. astebner says:

Hi M – If you are having trouble uninstalling the .NET Framework, then I'd suggest trying the cleanup tool and the manual uninstall steps that are listed at blogs.msdn.com/…/8108332.aspx.

36. Fernanda Caldas says:

HI Aron, please could you help me ? my windows is 7 and every time that I turn on the computer the message c:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727configmachine.config__Parser returned error 0xC00CE556__  appears, my micrsoft.net framework is 4 client profile.

Thank you very much !

37. astebner says:

Hi Fernanda Caldas – I'd suggest doing the following to fix that machine.config error:

1.  Go to the folder named C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv.2.0.50727config

2.  Make a backup copy of the file named machine.config in case you need to go back to it in the future

3.  Make a copy of the file named machine.config.default

4.  Rename the copy from step 3 to be machine.config

5.  Reboot your computer

Hopefully that will cause this error to go away.

38. Fernanda Caldas says:

HI Aron ! Thank you very much , it worked !

39. Freeman says:

Solution:

Go in the ā€œc:windowsmicrosoft.NETframeworkv2.0.50727configā€ directory, and renamed the ā€œmachine.configā€ to ā€œmachine.config.backupā€, and then copied the ā€œmachine.config.defaultā€ to ā€œmachine.configā€, worked fine.

40. Rosalba says:

Dear Aaron,

if we uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1,

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2, and

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 as you suggest, how do we then re-install them?  Won't they disappear from the Control Panel Programs list?

Regards,

Rosalba

41. astebner says:

Hi Rosalba – It depends on what version of Windows you have on your PC.  On versions older than Windows 7, you can re-install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 by downloading and running the installer from http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx.  If you have Windows 7 or newer, then the .NET Framework 3.5 is a part of the OS and you can disable/enable it by going to the Windows Features control panel (optionalfeatures.exe).

42. Rosalba says:

Thanks a lot Aaron.

Regards,

Rosalba

43. Prabesh says:

Aaron doesn't this process works on windows xp i tried a lot by using cleanup tool too but it didnt work on my pc and again i tried to install microsft net framework 3.0 but it says that :" An error occured during setup. Installed files have been removed from your computer. "

44. astebner says:

Hi Prabesh – The uninstall process and cleanup tool normally work on Windows XP.  It sounds like you might be running into a bug in the .NET Framework 3.0 installer when you try to re-install it.  Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

45. How do i know that its installd

1. Hi Dont blame the admin – There are a few different options. You can use the sample code that I posted at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2009/06/16/sample-code-to-detect-net-framework-install-state-and-service-pack-level/, you could run the setup verification tool at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2008/10/13/net-framework-setup-verification-tool-users-guide/ and look at the entries at the top of the log file, or you could manually check in your registry using the information listed at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh925568(v=vs.110).aspx.