Link to .NET Framework 3.5 readme with known installation issues

I often receive emails and blog comments from customers who are having trouble installing the .NET Framework 3.5.  Many of the issues that I have been asked about are documented in various places but are unfortunately hard to find with some web searches.  In order to try to improve the ability of search engines to find these documents, I wanted to post links to them here.

The following link is for the official .NET Framework 3.5 readme, which includes known installation issues and workarounds:

In addition to the readme, here is a summary of some other useful items regarding .NET Framework 3.5 setup troubleshooting:

As always, if you run into .NET Framework installation/deployment issues that you are having trouble finding solutions for at any of the above locations, please post a comment on one of my blog posts or contact me and I will attempt to help resolve the issue and then update my blog to hopefully help others in the future as well.

1. smedlytonker says:

While trying to install .NET 3.5 on my XPE system I have encountered the following error:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 — Setup has determined that this version of .NET Framework is part of your operating system and cannot be installed or uninstalled with this setup. Use Windows Update for all future updates to .NET Framework.  Setup will now exit.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

P.S.

I can’t uninstall .NET 2.0 – it was added as a component to XPE and does not show up under the control panel.

2. astebner says:

Hi Smedlytonker – The .NET Framework 3.5 includes the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 as a prerequisite.  The .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 in turn attempts to perform an automatic uninstall of the original release of the .NET Framework 2.0 behind the scenes unless the OS is Windows Vista.  As you’ve noticed, the .NET Framework 2.0 XPe component cannot be uninstalled.  That means you won’t be able to install the .NET Framework 3.5 on an XPe system that includes the 2.0 XPe component.  You will need to deploy a runtime that doesn’t include the .NET Framework 2.0 XPe component and then you should be able to install the .NET Framework 3.5.

3. smedlytonker says:

Is it possible to remove the .NET 2.0 component manually, or will the ".NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 cleanup tool" remove it? A considerable amount of work was put into the image post kernel build, so I would prefer not to have to regenerate the kernel if possible.

4. astebner says:

Hi Smedlytonker – believe that running the cleanup tool and choosing to remove the .NET Framework 2.0 should work.  However, I haven’t tried it previously, and this isn’t an officially supported solution.  I wouldn’t recommend that you try this unless you have a backup image of your XPe runtime to fall back to in case anything goes wrong.

5. astebner says:

Hi Smedlytonker – I looked at the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 setup in more detail and found that you should be able to remove a single registry value in order to get past this error:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftNET Framework SetupNDPv2.0.50727]

OCM=1

Can you give this a try and see if it helps in your scenario?

6. smedlytonker says:

That worked… I bow to your superior intellect

7. astebner says:

Hi Smedlytonker – That’s great news – I’m glad to hear that this worked for you.  I definitely don’t claim to have any kind of superior intellect though.  I’m sorry I forgot about this scenario in my initial reply.

Also, if you’re interested, I’ve posted more details about this scenario at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/02/11/7616312.aspx in case anyone else runs into a similar issue in the future.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention!