Updated version of the .NET Framework cleanup tool that can remove the .NET Framework 3.5

I’ve posted an updated version of the .NET Framework cleanup tool that now contains an option to remove the .NET Framework 3.5 (in addition to 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0).  I also added some additional information to be removed when uninstalling the .NET Framework 1.1 (thanks to this comment on one of my other blog posts).

You can use the following links to find more information about the .NET Framework cleanup tool and download it if you need it on your system:

Note – at the time that I am writing this blog post, the .NET Framework 3.5 is still only a beta, so currently the cleanup tool is only able to remove the beta 1 and beta 2 versions of the .NET Framework 3.5.  I will update the tool in the future when future builds of the .NET Framework 3.5 are released publicly.

<update date=”5/19/2008″> Added an alternate download location for the cleanup tool in case the first site is down. </update>

1. Un tool per rimuovere il .NET Framework 3.5

2. jonsedar says:

Could you guys please re-host/mirror this file? I simply cannot download it.

Many thanks in advance, Jon

3. astebner says:

Hi Jonsedar – It appears that my file server is down for maintenance currently.  If you would like, I can email you a copy of the cleanup tool so you don’t have to wait for my file server to come back.  Please contact me using http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/contact.aspx.

4. ThuG_PoeT says:

hi there,

I was checking my "Add or Remove Programs" and i found that i have all 3 (.NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0). Do i need all 3 or can i just keep the latest version.

I’m using "Windows XP Pro – SP 2"

5. astebner says:

Hi ThuG_PoeT – The .NET Framework 3.0 (and 3.5) are add-ons that require the .NET Framework 2.0.  So, you need to keep 2.0 if you plan to keep 3.0/3.5.  It is up to you if you want to keep the .NET Framework 1.1.  There are some applications that specifically require 1.1, and if you have any applications like that, they won’t work if you uninstall 1.1.  However, most applications will work correctly on the latest version of the .NET Framework if the older version(s) are not present on the machine.  So overall it is up to you if you want to uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 from your system.  It won’t hurt anything to leave it installed (other than taking up about 100 megabytes of disk space).  In the worst case, you could re-install it later if you find any applications on your system that specifically require it.

6. Visual Studio 2008 RTM installation issues

7. Visual Studio 2008 and .NET 3.5 Released

8. asthomas says:

The download link is broken.  Can you please put this important tool on a mirror somewhere?  I am utterly stuck without it.

Many thanks.

9. astebner says:

Hi Asthomas – I’m sorry for the hassle – my file server was down for maintenance from May 10-12.  The link is working now from what I can tell.  I have also posted the tool at an alternate location in case this happens again in the future – http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip.