Visual Studio 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5 setup log files

The installers for the .NET Framework 3.5 and Visual Studio 2008 chain several different prerequisites and optional components behind the scenes.  If one of these setups fails, there are numerous possible causes due to the number of packages being chained behind the scenes.  The following provides a list of log files created by the setup wrappers for each product and the child packages that are chained in during installation.

.NET Framework 3.5 setup log files

The following is a complete list of log files that can be produced during .NET Framework 3.5 setup.  This list may vary depending on what OS you are installing on, what processor architecture, and what prerequisite components were already installed on the system prior to running .NET Framework 3.5 setup.

Logs produced by the .NET Framework 3.5 setup wrapper:

• %temp%\dd_dotnetfx35install.txt
  • %temp%\dd_dotnetfx35error.txt
  • %temp%\dd_depcheck_netfx*.txt

Logs produced by the packages chained during .NET Framework 3.5 setup:

• RGB Rasterizer – %temp%\dd_RGB9Rast_*.txt
  • MSXML 6.0 – %temp%\dd_msxml6_*.txt
  • WIC – %temp%\dd_wic*.txt
  • .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 – %temp%\dd_net_framework20*.txt
  • .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 – %temp%\dd_net_framework30*.txt
  • .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 WCF custom action – %temp%\dd_wcf_retCA*.txt
  • .NET Framework 3.5 product MSI – %temp%\dd_net_framework35*.txt

Visual Studio 2008 setup log files

The following is a complete list of log files that can be produced during Visual Studio 2008 setup.  This list may vary depending on what OS you are installing on, what processor architecture, and what prerequisite components were already installed on the system prior to running Visual Studio 2008 setup.

In addition to the logs listed below, Visual Studio 2008 setup can produce the logs listed above for the .NET Framework 3.5 because the .NET Framework 3.5 is a prerequisite that is chained in during Visual Studio 2008 setup if it is not already installed on the system.

Logs produced by the Visual Studio 2008 setup wrapper:

• %temp%\dd_install*.txt
  • %temp%\dd_error*.txt
  • %temp%\dd_depcheck*.txt
  • VSMsiLog*.txt – located in your %temp% directory during Visual Studio 2008 setup; moved to %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\<product name>\Logs after a successful installation; left in %temp% after a failed installation and after uninstallation

Logs produced by the packages chained during Visual Studio 2008 setup:

• Windows Installer 3.1 – %windir%\KB893803v2.log
  • .NET Framework 3.5 – see the full list of logs at the top of this post
  • Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites – %temp%\dd_prereq*.txt
  • Document Explorer 2008 – %temp%\dd_dexplore*90*.txt
  • Web Designer Tools – %temp%\SetupExe(*).txt
  • .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 – %temp%\dd_netcfsetupv2*.txt
  • .NET Compact Framework 3.5 – %temp%\dd_netcfsetupv35*.txt
  • Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime 3.0 – %temp%\dd_vstor*.txt
  • Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the 2007 Microsoft Office System Runtime – %temp%\dd_vsto_ret20*.txt
  • SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 – %temp%\dd_SSCERuntime*.txt
  • SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 Design Tools – %temp%\dd_SQLCEToolsForVS2007*.txt
  • SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 For Devices – %temp%\dd_SSCEDeviceRuntime*.txt
  • Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2 for Pocket PC – %temp%\dd_WMPPC_5_0*.txt
  • Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2 for Smartphone – %temp%\dd_WMSP_5_0*.txt
  • Device Emulator version 3.0 – %temp%\dd_64bitEmulator*.txt, %temp%\dd_EmulatorForWinXP*.txt and/or %temp%\dd_Emulator*.txt
  • SQL Server 2005 Express Edition – %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\*.*
  • Visual Studio 2008 Remote Debugger – %temp%\dd_rdbg*.txt
  • Windows SDK – %temp%\dd_winsdk*.txt
  • Visual Studio Performance Collection Tools – %temp%\dd_Performance_Collection_Tools*.txt
  • Crystal Reports – %temp%\dd_CrystalReports2007*.txt

Logs produced by the packages chained during Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition setups:

• Windows Installer 3.1 – %windir%\KB893803v2.log
  • .NET Framework 3.5 – see the full list of logs at the top of this post
  • SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 – %temp%\dd_SSCERuntime*.txt

• Visual Studio 2008 Remote Debugger Light – %temp%\dd_ExpRemoteDbg*.txt
  • Windows SDK – %temp%\dd_winsdk*.txt
  • MSDN for Visual Studio Express Editions – %temp%\dd_MSDNExp*.txt

• Silverlight 1.0 – %temp%\Silverlight*.txt

Logs produced by the MSDN for Visual Studio 2008 setup wrapper:

• %temp%\dd_install_MSDN_VS_90*.txt
  • %temp%\dd_error_MSDN_VS_90*.txt
  • %temp%\dd_depcheck_MSDN_VS_90*.txt
  • VSMsiLog*.txt – located in your %temp% directory during MSDN setup; moved to %ProgramFiles%\MSDN\MSDN9.0\<product name>\Logs after a successful installation; left in %temp% after a failed installation and after uninstallation

Logs produced by Visual Studio 2008 SP1:

• %temp%\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SP1*.*

If you run into any issues while installing the .NET Framework 3.5, Visual Studio 2008 or MSDN for Visual Studio 2008 and plan to report setup issues to Microsoft via the product feedback site or the MSDN Forums, please locate and include any of the above log files if possible because it will make it easier for us to debug the failures and find root causes and workarounds.

<update date=”10/4/2007″> Added a log file to the .NET Framework 3.5 list for the WCF custom action that I missed previously </update>

<update date=”1/11/2008″> Added Silverlight log files to the list for VS 2008 Express Editions since it was added as a chained component between the time I wrote this blog post and the time that VS 2008 shipped. </update>

<update date=”5/23/2008″> Added log file information for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 </update>

<update date=”11/20/2009″> Fixed broken link to the product feedback site. </update>

1. I wrote a post yesterday with a list of the names and locations of all of the log files produced during

2. Peter Ritchie says:

Is it save to delete VSMSILog*.txt files after installation is complete?  My VSIMsiLog*.txt file is 55MB…

3. Hi Peter – Yes, after a successful installation it is safe to delete this log file and any of the other logs from your system in order to reclaim disk space.

4. HCM says:

Below is the first line  of the VS2008 log file

[08/18/07,17:16:15] Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites (x64): [2] e:setup..wcu64bitprereqx64vs_bsln.exe could not be unpackaged because it is not a cabinet.

As a consequence, nothing is installed.

The download went fine, as did the burn to CD, so that looks ok.

I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit and have tried to install 5 times over the past week or so, changing/removing things as I find possible answers in various places, but still stuck.

HCM

5. Hi HCM – Do you get any error if you try to run that vs_bsln.exe directly from the DVD?  Can you also try to copy the contents of the DVD to your hard drive and install it from there to see if that helps workaround this error?

6. HCM says:

Hi Aaron,

I have tried running from a hard drive, same problem. If I try to run vs_bsin.exe directly from the DVD I get an error message stating that I may have the wrong version. It can’t seem to determine whether or not I need x64 or x32, even though it is in the X64 pre reqs (where it should be I think). This error message does not come up if I try to install from hard drive or dvd, but I do get the error message outlined in my first post.

Still confused.

HCM

7. Hi HCM – Can you let me know the exact error message you receive when you try to run the x64 version of vs_bsln.exe directly after copying the file to your hard drive?  And just to confirm, you are running on an x64 computer that has the x64 version of Windows installed on it, correct?

This error sounds like possible DVD corruption, so can you check to see if there are any scratches or dust on the back of the DVD and gently clean it and see if that helps?  If that still doesn’t help, you may need to try to re-burn the DVD.

8. My team owns the installation experience for Visual Studio 2008 and the .NET Framework 3.5. One difficulty

9. HCM says:

Hi again,

Yes I can confirm that i am running a 64 bit version of Vista:

From Control PanelSystem>>>

PROCESSOR:AMD (Athlon) 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4400 (@2.48 GHz)

SYSTEM TYPE: 64-bit operating system

(Am I right in thinking if the setup program does not see a 64 bit system it would not try to install X64 Prereqs?)

The error message seen when I try to run the program from hard drive is as follows:

G:vs2008wcu64bitPrereqX64vs_bsin.exe

Error message  is:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running. Check your computer’s information to see whether you need an x86(32-bit) or x64(64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Hope this makes sense to you.

HCM

10. Hi HCM – Correct, setup detects your processor architecture (x86, x64 or ia64) and it will not attempt to install the x64 prerequisite package unless you are running on an x64 OS.  However, the error you are receiving seems to indicate that you are attempting to run this package on a non-matching processor architecture.

Could you please use the tool listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/08/01/4172276.aspx to gather a list of all of the VS 2008 beta 2 log files and then send me the resulting cab file so I can take a look and see if I can figure anything out?  You can send the cab file to Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

11. HCM says:

Hi Aaron,

I have e-mailed you the log files as requested.

HCM

12. HeroicLife says:

Could you please post an answer if you figure this out?  I have the same issue.

13. Hi HeroicLife – We found a really strange issue where all self-extracting packages on HCM’s system reported that they were not valid applications.  We were not able to reproduce this in our test lab, but HCM was able to re-download a different Visual Studio edition and it installed like expected.  Based on that, we think there may have been something wrong with the downloaded package.  Can you please try to download a new image of VS 2008 beta 2 and then install again and see if that helps?  If not, please contact me at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/contact.aspx and I will try to help further.

14. I previously wrote about a log collection tool that will automatically gather and cab up Visual Studio

15. I previously wrote about a log collection tool that will automatically gather and cab up Visual Studio

16. Details about the .NET Framework 2.0 setup packaging Available command line switches for .NET Framework

17. Igor Levicki says:

Aaron, why have you guys made our life awfull with vs 2008?

I just wanted C++ and that is what I selected in custom install and I got all this junk bundled with the VS2008 itself:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 365.00 MB

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 313.00 MB

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5  28.54 MB

Microsoft Document Explorer 2008  26.27 MB

Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Componenet  25.00 MB

Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Headers and Libraries 114.00 MB

Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Reference Assemblies and IntelliSense   6.65 MB

Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Tools  15.56 MB

Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Win32 Tools  18.58 MB

On top of that, there is no platform sdk, except for (gasp!!!) IA64?!? Come on guys, you got to be kidding?!? Where are x64 and x86 import libraries?

What’s with all this useless junk I literally got stuffed with instead of the ability for writing x86 and x64 Windows applications out of the box?

Luckily I had a chance to try it and I uninstalled it because if I bought it and got stuffed like this I would be seriously pissed off. You really lost your edge when it comes to developer tools.

18. I often receive emails and blog comments from customers who are having trouble installing the .NET Framework

19. I often receive emails and blog comments from customers who are having trouble installing the .NET Framework

20. thylocene says:

Hi Aaron

I have been trying to install VS 2008 team Suite for a couple of days now and it is beginning to drive me around the twist.  I had VS 2005 which I have removed.

The install gets to finish Dot.Net 3.5 and then fails at installing 64-bit prerequisites

[01/27/08,09:51:22] Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites (x64): [2] f:setup..wcu64bitprereqx64vs_bsln.exe could not be unpackaged because it is not a cabinet.

[01/27/08,09:51:22] setup.exe: [2] ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InternalInstallManager() with HRESULT -2147467259.

My PC is a Dell Precision Notebook (M90) with 4GB memory running Vista Business.  I have downloaded the VS2008 team suite ISO a couple of times to make sure that I did not have a corrupt download.  What am I doing wrong.  This should be a relatively straight forward simple process?

21. Hi Thylocene – Typically, this type of error means that the package is corrupt somehow.  It could be that your ISO was corrupted while you downloaded or while you burned it.  I’d suggest trying to re-download the ISO once more and see if you get better results.  You could also try to copy the contents of the ISO to your hard drive and install from there instead of installing from a DVD.

If this doesn’t help, please contact me using the link at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/contact.aspx and I can try to help you further from there.

22. thylocene says:

Hi Aaron – Thanks for replying.  I have downloaded the ISO twice already.  I have managed to install vs2008 on XP but not Vista business.  What I did to get it installed was to extract all the contents of the ISO using UltraISO (which does not care if files are corrupt within the ISO) and then burn a new copy.  I found that the file Program FilesMicrosoft SDKsWindowsv6.0ABootstrapperPackagesVSTOR30eneula.txt was corrupt.  It extracted full of nulls!!!!

I have tried all sorts of combinations to try to overcome the 64bit prerequisites error that I am experiencing.  At the moment I am down-loading the trial version in the hope that I may be able to get this installed on Vista Business and then maybe I will be able to upgrade it.

23. Hi Thylocene – I’m not sure how to explain that type of media corruption.  I tried to find a separate download location for the 64-bit prerequisite package for you to try, but it looks like that package isn’t available separately.  If you don’t have any luck with the most recent download you’re trying, please contact me via http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/contact.aspx and I can try to post a version of the 64-bit prerequisites package privately for you to try to see if you can get past that error and see if there will be any other installation problems hiding behind that.

24. thylocene says:

Hi Aaron

Good news.  I managed to get VS2008 installed with your help i.e. running the  64-bit prerequisites package that you had send me allowed me to get past the sticking point and complete the installation.

I did a binary compare of the file that you sent me with the one on the ISO image (in the WCU64bitPrereqx64 directory) and they were quite different.  I replaced this file with the one you send me, burned a new DVD and installed it on another system with Vista Business edition with no issues!

Interestingly enough I had also downloaded the trial version of Team Suite which had exactly the same issue which leads me to believe that there is an problem with the original download ISO for X86 64-bit pre-requisites!

Can this be looked at as it may save quite a bit of angst (an acute but unspecific feeling of anxiety; usually reserved for philosophical anxiety about the world or about personal freedom) for others with the same configuration as me.

Thanks

25. Hi Thylocene – I’m glad to hear that the 64-bit prerequisites package (vs_bsln.exe) that I sent you allowed you to get past this issue and successfully install VS 2008.  I’ve sent this information on to the folks I know on the Visual Studio setup team to see if they can take a look at the ISOs that are currently posted for download.

26. A while back, I posted a list of instructions that can be used to enable Windows Installer verbose logging

27. A while back, I posted a set of instructions that can be used to try to resolve .NET Framework installation

28. A while back, I posted a set of instructions that can be used to try to resolve .NET Framework installation

29. .NETicated says:

Events Visual Studio Team System Chat: April 9 on Charles Sterling&#39;s blog Resources Team System Community

30. I often get questions from fellow employees or customers who find my blog regarding how to troubleshoot

31. gfries says:

Hi, Aaron

I have the same problem with vs_bsln.exe as Thylocene while trying to install the german VS 2008 prof. trial on a german Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Is there now a separate download location for that file ?

Thanks

32. Hi GFries – No, there is not a separate download for this file.  In many of the cases I’ve heard from customers in the past of this problem, even after they manually replaced the file vs_bsln.exe with a copy from somewhere else, they often ran into other corrupted setup files later in the installation process.

I have been suggesting that customers try one of the following to fix this type of corruption if they run into it:

1.  Try burning the ISO to a DVD and installing from there instead of mounting it and installing from the mounted copy

2.  Try a different mounting software if it isn’t an option to burn the ISO to a DVD

3.  Try to re-download the ISO

Hopefully one of the above will help.

33. A while back, I posted a list of possible log files for .NET Framework 3.5 and Visual Studio 2008 setup

34. Setup and deployment is a tricky business. Machines can be in many different and often unforeseen states

35. Recently, beta versions of Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 were released (see announcement

36. Visual Studio (以下 VS ) 製品のインストールで生成されるセットアップログファイルを収集するツールを紹介したいと思います。 VS 製品のセットアップは .NET Framework ランタイムを始め複数のコンポーネントをインストールするため、

37. Steiger says:

Hello,

I’m currently integrating .NET 3.5 SP1 installation into our SW distribution.

After reading many blog entries I created an installation point and I am now installing using the "setup.exe /q /norestart /lang:" method.

My problem is that all logfiles are written as described in this article. It seems that there is no way to use the chaining installer AND to get the logfiles in a different location.

I also tried to change the TEMP variable (USER and SYSTEM) before starting setup.exe but it still writes to the User TEMP.

Is there any (undocumented) way to change the location of the logfiles?

Thanks

Michael

38. Hi Steiger – The .NET Framework setup should be using the GetTempPath API to retrieve the location that is used to create the log files.  It should work to change those environment variables to change the folder that the logs are created, but you may need to reboot for the environment variable changes to take effect.

There isn’t a way to change the name/location of these log files if you are installing using the setup EXE like you describe.  If you need the logs to go to a different location for some reason, the only way I know of would be to run each of the individual MSIs directly with msiexec.exe and pass in the logging switch when doing that.

I’d be curious to know what kind of scenarios you are running where you need to control these log file names/locations though.  Can you explain that a bit better?  Also, if this is an important scenario to you, I encourage you to report this as a bug at http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio/ for the team to consider this in the next version of .NET Framework setup.

39. こんにちは、フォーラム オペレータの服部です。 僕は、MSDN フォーラムの英語版 FAQ コンテンツの翻訳を担当しているんですが、原文の翻訳だけではなかなか不十分なところがあります。 というのも、紹介されているリンク先の情報がすべて英語になってしまうためです。

40. 再びこんにちは! 今日は僕の頭の中で動いている CPU の調子がすこぶる快調なので、英語スレッドの日本語版をもう 1 つ紹介してみようと思います。 これは、米国マイクロソフト社に勤務する Heath Stewart

41. neospektiva says:

Well, im posting on a one year old issue here but I also spent some hours on the vs_bsln.exe problem on windows7 x64. Couldnt google my way to any solution expect finding explanations saying my iso is corrupt.

Downloaded vs2008 pro and team, both from msdn with "prepadded" license keys. None of them worked, same error.

Then downloaded vs2008 pro trial from outside msdn (just microsoft.com). That one worked. Could be that i was unlucky two times of three but there is also another explanation…

42. I have a copy of the vs_bsln.exe file located at http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog%5E_Tools/vs%5E_bsln.zip that you can try to install separately if you’d like.

However, most of the cases I’ve seen of this type of error are caused by setup file corruption, and so installing that one file separately usually will allow setup to proceed a bit further and then fail while installing one of the later files.  Here are a few things I typically suggest in this type of scenario:

1.  If you are installing from a mounted ISO file, try using a different ISO mounting program

2.  If you are installing from a mounted ISO file, try burning the ISO to a DVD instead

3.  If you are installing from a DVD, try using a mounted ISO instead

4.  If you are installing from a DVD, try copying the contents to the hard drive and installing from there instead

5.  If all else fails, try to re-download the ISO

43. Howard Lynch says:

When I click on your link labeled "product feedback site" I get a web page that says "Page Not Found" …

44. Hi Howard Lynch – Thanks for letting me know about this broken link.  I’ve fixed it in the main blog post.  It should be pointing to http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio/.

45. Girish Sharma says:

whenever iu try to install vs 2008, i get an error msg : unable to install .net framweork 3.5 and it failes to proceed further, also. please help me out…

46. Hi Girish Sharma – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to gather your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool produces to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com) and then reply back here with a link I can use to download the log files and take a further look?

47. Kevin28 says:

Hi, I'm having a blocking issue installing Visual Studio (2008 or 2010), SQL Server or Outlook 2010. Basically, I'm blocked on installing any of these substantial programs.

In the example of Visual Studio 2010, the setup installs .Net 4.0, then reboots and tries installing the .Net x64 prereqs. Then, it fails on this error:

[06/22/10,09:43:16] Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 64bit Prerequisites (x64): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 64bit Prerequisites (x64). MSI returned error code 1603

I've tried uninstalling Dot Net several times, but I don't think I'm getting anywhwere. Please help =)

My system:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 install (clean; just installed 2 days ago, and installed all updates)

Intel E8400 (dual core 3.0GHZ)

Installing from the same CD media that worked on another computer.

My Error log for Visual Studio 2010 Install:

cid-5803a59790b88940.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx!148&Bpub=SDX.Docs&Bsrc=GetSharingLink

The log collected by your collect tool:

(BTW: I tried the vs_bsln tool, that you uploaded to your blog for another user. unfortunately, it didn't help.)

Thank you for reading!

Kevin

48. Hi Kevin28 – I see failures in your log files for the 64-bit prerequisite package and the Document Explorer package.  The errors look like the following (it is the same error code in both cases, just for different files):

Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Runtime,, version="10.0.0.0",publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a",processorArchitecture="MSIL",fileVersion="10.0.30319.1",culture="neutral"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x8002802F. assembly interface: , function: CreateAssemblyCache, component: {813438C3-8069-495F-9AE3-CA6499E3021B}

Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'EnvDTE,version="8.0.0.0",publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a",fileVersion="8.0.50727.932",culture="neutral"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x8002802F. assembly interface: , function: CreateAssemblyNameObject, component: {DA28CA4A-27CA-486A-923F-5A4317BB70CE}

Usually, error code 0x8002802F means that there is sometihng wrong with the .NET Framework on the computer.  In this case, you're running Windows 7, and the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 are installed as a part of the OS, but it is possible that one of the .NET Framework registry keys that is needed in this scenario is missing or corrupt.  I'd suggest checking to see if you have all of the .NET Framework 2.0 registry keys on your computer that are listed in the blog post at blogs.msdn.com/…/3260076.aspx.  If any of the keys from that list are missing, I'd suggest manually adding them on your computer, then rebooting your system and trying to install VS 2008 again.

Hopefully this will help!

49. Kevin28 says:

Hi Astebner,

Thank you for looking at those logs! I checked the blog that you linked to and reviewed the steps. My registry keys match exactly what's described in:

"For the .NET Framework 2.0 (on an x64 version of Windows):", but not the other sections. Specifically, here are the values that matched:

"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoft.NETFramework]

InstallRoot = C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFramework64

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoft.NETFrameworkPolicyUpgrades]

2.0.50727 = 1.0.0-2.0.50727

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoft.NETFrameworkPolicyv2.0]

50727 = 50727-50727

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeMicrosoft.NETFramework]

InstallRoot = C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFramework

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeMicrosoft.NETFrameworkPolicyUpgrades]

2.0.50727 = 1.0.0-2.0.50727

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeMicrosoft.NETFrameworkPolicyv2.0]

50727 = 50727-50727

"

Now, I'm thinking that since the error mentioned earlier is referring to "10.0.30319" that this is a .Net 4.0 / VS2010 issue? The reason I suspect that is because .Net 4.0's installed version on my pc with problems is 4.0.30319. These version numbers share the same suffix. As far as I know, this is the latest version.

The other possible culprit is Visual Studio. I have tried installing (unsuccessfully) both VS 2008 and VS 2010. As a result, I have the following installed programs listed through control panel:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x86 9.0.30729.4974

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Runtime – 10.0.30319

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Runtime – 10.0.30319

Could these be conflicting?

Also, since .Net 2 and 3.5 come installed on Windows 7 (as I understand) I can't install them, or uninstall and fix them. I suspect that the reason I'm experiencing my main issue is because I can't install .Net 3.5 _SP1_. Does this make sense?

Can I easily return to the Win7 Install CD and pull off all the .NET files? Or another source?

Thanks again,

Kevin28

50. Kevin28 says:

Update:

I tried removing and reisntalling older Dot Net, in hopes of fixing the issue. But I had no luck. Here's what I did:

Navigated to Control Panel -> Features -> Features

unchecked (unboxed) Dot Net 3.5

Rebooted

Attempted to install Dot Net 3.5 (redistrbutable version).

installation began, and continued for a for minutes. Then, however, it failed with the following error log:

"

[06/23/10,08:12:54] VS Scenario: [2] CSupportedPlatformCheck failed : You must use "Turn Windows features on or off" in the Control Panel to install or configure Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.

[06/23/10,08:12:54] VS Scenario: [2] Failed to pass the Warnings/Blocks checks in CVSScenario::Start()

[06/23/10,08:26:26] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) (CBS). MSI returned error code -2145124329

[06/23/10,08:26:38] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) (CBS) is not installed.

"

So I guess I can't easily fix Dot Net 3.5, when running Windows 7 =( . Any ideas?

-Kevin28

51. Hi Kevin28 – The .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 comes as a part of the OS on Windows 7, so you cannot install or repair it by using the redistributable installer.  If you already have all of the registry keys from the previous blog post that I sent you, then it is possible that there is a problem with some of the files that are a part of the .NET Framework.  There are a couple of things I can think of to have you try:

1.  Try to install the .NET Framework 4 Full redistributable from http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx.  This will update some files that are shared by other versions of the .NET Framework and it might help resolve this VS installation problem.

2.  If #1 doesn't help, then you can also try to use the steps listed at blogs.msdn.com/…/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx to repair the files that are a part of the OS.

52. Kevin28 says:

Hi Astebner,

I downloaded the .net 4.0 redist pack and I tried repairing, uninstalling and reinstalling Net 4.0 a few times. It didn't help the problem.

I did try the official .Net setup verifier (netfx_setupverifier). The results were interesting: I received no errors with older Dot Net verification, but I received errors with the 4.0 verification. Logs here:

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:98px;height:115px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="cid-5803a59790b88940.office.live.com/…/iframe>

Thank you for your help. I feel like I'm getting close to a solution. Is Microsoft aware of this issue? I searched online and found many people experiencing this exact issue with Windows 7 (often in combination with Visual Studio 2010)

-Kevin28

53. Kevin28 says:

I tried running " sfc /scannow " and the result was no errors.

"

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

"

I tried booting Windows 7 into Recovery / repair boot. The result was that it couldn't autorepair anything. Here's the log:

"

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16384

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16384

Problem Signature 03: unknown

Problem Signature 04: 5

Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06: 1

Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement online:

go.microsoft.com/fwlink

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

X:windowssystem32en-USerofflps.txt

"

-Kevin28

54. Hi Kevin28 – I haven't heard widespread reports of problems installing Visual Studio on Windows 7, and I've seen a lot of Windows 7 systems running Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 correctly around my office.  The verification log you posted shows an error running a small test application that tries to instantiate the .NET Framework.  Can you please check and see if you have the log file from that tool as well?  If you have one, it will be named %temp%setupverifier_netfx20testapp_*.txt.

If those registry keys I mentioned previously are correct and SFC didn't find any errors, then I'm not sure what else to suggest aside from trying to repair your OS in this type of scenario unfortunately.

55. LamCo says:

I tried to install VS2008, but the following failure log messages were recorded in "dd_install_vs_procore_90.txt"

Does anyone have clue? Please help…

[09/18/10,08:43:55] Setup.exe: AddGlobalCustomProperty

[09/18/10,08:43:55] setup.exe: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InternalInstallManager() with HRESULT -2147023293.

[09/18/10,08:43:55] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty – Property: {7F82DEDD-12EB-439F-B7A3-8B4264E0C20D} – PropertyName: EnableRollback – Value:

[09/18/10,08:43:55] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty – Property: {BD495746-4FBA-49F3-8EEB-D8B20EE75235} – PropertyName: Disable Rollback – Value:

[09/18/10,08:43:55] Setup.exe: ISetupManager::RunInstallFromList(IP_INSTALL) completed

[09/18/10,08:43:55] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty – Property: {092114C2-997D-4D68-8F3A-8BC2584FD23B} – PropertyName: Quiet Mode Setup – Value:

[09/18/10,08:43:55] Setup.exe: ERROR (non critical): Suite Main Directory:C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition – ENU does not exists. Log files will not be copied in the suite directory!

[09/18/10,08:43:55] vs70uimgr: Entering DisplayFinal() method.

[09/18/10,08:43:55] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty – Property: {9EEA4DFB-733A-4349-B43E-F564351AC503} – PropertyName: Passive Mode – Value:

[09/18/10,08:43:55] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty – Property: {C30D2581-4604-47C2-BC48-412BDDA3AF16} – PropertyName: No Restart – Value:

[09/18/10,08:43:56] vs70uimgr: Entering Next() method.

[09/18/10,08:43:56] VS70pgui: Entered CPageHeaderDynamic::OnShowWindow method

[09/18/10,08:43:56] VS70pgui: Generating finish page component list.

[09/18/10,08:43:56] VS70pgui: GenerateHtml() called in INSTALL mode.

[09/18/10,08:43:56] Setup.exe: GetComponents()

[09/18/10,08:43:56] Setup.exe: get_Components()

[09/18/10,08:43:56] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty – Property: {BBE1827C-F2FD-4FDA-A6D6-C83B62FFFDCA} – PropertyName: compfailed – Value: 1

[09/18/10,08:43:56] VS70pgui: DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component is not installed.

[09/18/10,08:43:56] Setup.exe: AddGlobalCustomProperty

[09/18/10,08:43:57] VS70pgui: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component is not installed.

[09/18/10,08:43:57] VS70pgui: DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition – ENU was not attempted to be installed.

[09/18/10,08:43:57] Setup.exe: AddGlobalCustomProperty

[09/18/10,08:43:57] VS70pgui: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition – ENU was not attempted to be installed.

[09/18/10,08:43:57] VS70pgui: DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 was not attempted to be installed.

56. Hi LamCo – There isn't enough information in this log file to narrow down the cause of the setup failure that you're running into.  Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to gather all of your VS 2008 setup log files, then post the file %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool creates on a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), then reply back here with a link that I can use to download your log files and take a further look?

57. anu says:

setup is looking for vcredistmin x_86.exe

please insert microsoft visual studio 2008 prifessional ENU ,insert disk1 now

path—this path is not valid

i have this setup in my pen drive and then copy in drive G

please help………..

58. Hi Anu – Are you getting this error during initial installation or during repair?  If it is initial installation, I'd suggest trying to re-copy or re-download the files from the original install location because it sounds like one of the files that setup needs is missing or corrupt.  If this is during repair, I'd suggest trying to repair from the original location that you installed from instead of using the entry in the Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs control panel.

59. Arun says:

Error on toolsbox is not open toolsbox

60. arun says:

the current news channel might not be a valid RSS feed, or your internet connection might be unavailable. To change the news channel, on the Tools menu, click Options, then expand Environmetnt and click Startup..( how to open)

61. Hi Arun – I don't have expertise troubleshooting the Visual Studio IDE issues you're describing.  I'd suggest posting a question on the Visual Studio forum at social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/home to see if someone there can help with these issues.

62. sakthivel says:

setup is looking for vcredistmin x_86.exe

please insert microsoft visual studio 2008 prifessional ENU ,insert disk1 now

path—this path is not valid

i have this setup in my pen drive and then copy in drive d

please help………..

63. Hi sakthivel – That type of error can occur if the original file that you downloaded got corrupted, so my first suggestion is to try to re-download the file and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look.