VS 2008 beta 2 install failure caused by previous beta version of Microsoft Web Designer Tools

Because of the large volume of beta uninstall issues that were seen during the Visual Studio 2005 project, the beta versions of Visual Studio 2008 will automatically chain uninstall of other beta packages that it installs as prerequisites or optional components (things like Document Explorer, the VS Tools for Office Runtime Components, the .NET Framework 3.5 beta, etc).

However, there is one beta package that chained uninstall was not implemented for in previous beta versions - the Microsoft Web Designer Tools.  Because this package is not automatically uninstalled when you uninstall a previous beta of VS 2008, some logic was added to VS 2008 beta 2 setup to automatically uninstall it prior to installing the beta 2 version of this package.

We have run into a few cases where the automatic uninstall of previous versions of the Microsoft Web Designer Tools package does not work, and in those cases, VS 2008 beta 2 installation will fail.  In those cases, you must manually uninstall the old beta of this package from Add/Remove Programs.

How to workaround this error

If you see a failure during VS 2008 beta 2 setup on a system that previously had an earlier beta or CTP of VS 2008 installed on it, you can use the following steps to locate and remove the Microsoft Web Designer Tools package:

1. Go to the Add/Remove Programs control panel by clicking on the Start menu, choosing Run, typing appwiz.cpl and clicking OK
  2. Locate the item named Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component and choose to uninstall it
  3. Try to run VS 2008 beta 2 setup again

How to diagnose this error

There are several possible causes of failures in VS 2008 beta 2 setup, and the issue described above only solves one of them.  If you are interested in looking at setup log files to determine if you are running into this exact issue, you can look in the file named %temp%\dd_install_vs*.txt (the main installation log created by the VS 2008 beta 2 setup.exe).

If you see entries like the following, you are likely running into this Microsoft Web Designer Tools issue:

[07/29/07,11:11:17] DepCheck: gencomp320
[07/29/07,11:11:17] DepCheck_Result: 1
[07/29/07,11:11:17] Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU: Install(): bAttemptInstall: 0
[07/29/07,11:11:17] Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU: Install(): Not attempting to call MsiInstallProduct()!!!! Baseline not met!
[07/29/07,11:11:18] Setup.exe: AddGlobalCustomProperty
[07/29/07,11:11:18] Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU: CRootComponent::Install(): Setup Failed; MSIInstallProduct return value either ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE or default.

This log snippet indicates that setup is not going to try to install the main VS product because it has detected that a prerequisite package has not been correctly installed.  The package that is not correctly installed is represented by gencomp320, which is described in the file baseline.dat in the Setup subdirectory on a VS installation disc.  Looking in that file, you can see that gencomp320 represents the Microsoft Web Designer Tools package.

1. TheGuitarPlayer says:

Hello Aaron,

I am having this exact issue currently, but have no Office products installed at all.  I’m installing VS2008 professional edition on 32bit Vista Ultimate with a clean install, current Windows Updates, and Alcohol 120% for mounting the VS image. No other software has been installed. Here are the (seemingly) important parts of the logs,

dd_error_vs_procore_90:

***EndOfSession*** [08/04/07,23:56:07] Microsoft Web Designer Tools: [2] Component Microsoft Web Designer Tools returned an unexpected value.

[08/04/07,23:56:10] setup.exe: [2] ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InternalInstallManager() with HRESULT -2147023293.

[08/04/07,23:56:11] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Web Designer Tools is not installed.

dd_install_vs_procore_90:

[08/04/07,23:56:09] DepCheck: gencomp320

[08/04/07,23:56:09] DepCheck_Result: 1

[08/04/07,23:56:09] Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition – ENU: Install(): bAttemptInstall: 0

[08/04/07,23:56:09] Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition – ENU: Install(): Not attempting to call MsiInstallProduct()!!!! Baseline not met!

[08/04/07,23:56:09] Setup.exe: AddGlobalCustomProperty

[08/04/07,23:56:09] Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition – ENU: CRootComponent::Install(): Setup Failed; MSIInstallProduct return value either ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE or default.

If you need more, just lest me know where to send the logs, thanks.

2. Hi TheGuitarPlayer – Can you please zip and send me the logs named %temp%SetupExe(*).log and %temp%dd_install_vs*.txt from your system so I can take a look and see if I can figure out why this is happening?  You can send them to Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

3. ttklf4 says:

If I go into Add/Remove Programs and try to uninstall "Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component" the component will not uninstall. How can we uninstall this component?

4. Hi Ttklf4 – I’m sorry for the hassle that this is causing for you.  What kind of error do you see when you try to uninstall this component?  It might help to try the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/30/487096.aspx to manually remove this component.  If that doesn’t help, please contact me via email using http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/contact.aspx and I can try to suggest some further ideas.

5. Garry Trinder says:

I ran into a similar issue (VS Setup would fail when trying to install the Visual Studio Web Authoring). When I tried to manually run the Web Authoring Component setup (I unzipped it and lauched manually), it complained that I had some Office 2007 pre-release components on my machine; that seemed a little bit odd, because I didn’t have office 2007 installed on my machine. But after more research through the Add/Remove programs list, I found the "Compatibility Pack for Office 2007 Beta" installed (because I was still using Office 2003). After I uninstalled it, everything worked fine.

6. Gabe Brown says:

Aaron,

This also affects users who had the RC version installed and upgraded to RTM.  It’s not very apparant that the Web Authoring Component is the culprit.

7. tvanstiphout@kinetik-it.com says:

My install failed as well. I do not have any beta software loaded. First it failed at the step of Framework 3.5. I was then able to install that one separately from msft download. After that it failed in "Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component" with error "Not attempting to call MsiInstallProduct()!!!! Baseline not met!"

I emailed my log files to Aaron. Hopefully he can make sense of them. I’m close to considering a full rebuild of my machine <shudder>.

-Tom.

8. Hi Tom – I received your log files via email.  I wanted to summarize our email discussion here in case anyone else reading this blog post runs into similar issues.  I looked at the log file named %temp%dd_install_vs*.txt and found this error while setup was attempting to run the Web Authoring Component setup:

[12/22/07,10:09:01] Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component: d:setup..wcuwebdesignercoreWebDesignerCore.EXE exited with return value 536870913

For this type of error, I typically suggest running the Web Authoring Component setup directly from <VS install disc>wcuwebdesignercorewebdesignercore.exe to see if it displays a more useful error message than the one in this log file.

In your case, running it showed an error stating that the file is corrupt.  In that case, you typically have to try to re-download the VS setup package and try again.  The Web Authoring Component can be downloaded from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=95934.

If the Web Authoring Component setup is corrupt though, it is possible that other packages that are going to be installed by VS setup are too.  You many need to re-download the entire setup in order to try to workaround this if you encounter additional failures after installing the Web Authoring Components package from this link.

Hopefully this helps.

9. rankorn says:

I have Windows XP sp2, and had the same problem when trying to install VS2008 pro.

Like adrianvinca, my problem was the "Compatibility pack for office 2007 beta" which was installed on my machine (I have office 2003).

After uninstalling that, the error seems to disappear.

Skip to main content