I have been semi-regularly attending the weekly meetings (described by Rob Mensching in this blog post) to work on the WiX toolset. This past week, as I was eating some excellent chocolate chip cookies provided by Peter Marcu‘s wife, I realized that most of the regular contributors to the WiX code base here at Microsoft have their own blogs and have been writing in them fairly regularly. I wanted to provide a list of links to WiX developer blogs because many of them contain valuable information about setup development in general and WiX specifically.
- Rob Mensching (http://robmensching.com/blog/ and http://blogs.msdn.com/robmen/) – Rob is the founder of WiX and the “benevolant dictator”
- Justin Rockwood (http://blogs.msdn.com/jrock/) – Justin is a WiX developer whose primary focus is the Votive Visual Studio add-in
- Bob Arnson (http://joyofsetup.com/) – Bob is a WiX developer who created the WixUI library and has been working in several other areas recently
- Peter Marcu (http://blogs.msdn.com/pmarcu/) – Peter is a WiX developer who has been working extensively on patching features in WiX v3.0; he has recently revived his blog and has been describing the new patching features there
- Derek Cicerone (http://installing.blogspot.com/) – Derek is a retired WiX developer whose blog contains useful information about WiX, particularly some enhancements in WiX v3.0 such as Heat, Torch and Pyro, built-in ICE validation and the NGEN custom action
I encourage you to keep an eye on the above blogs if you are a setup developer and/or if you are working with WiX.