How to repair Media Center files and registry entries on Windows Vista and Windows 7

Note – this post was originally written for Windows Vista, but it also applies to Windows 7.

Since the Windows Vista public launch in January 2007, I have been receiving questions more frequently about how to repair Windows Media Center to try to resolve various bugs.  Many of the customers I have heard from have tried some of the repair steps I have previously posted for Windows XP Media Center Edition (such as this, this or this), but ran into problems getting them to work.

I want to emphasize that OS repair techniques that I have previously documented for Windows XP Media Center Edition will not work on Windows Vista or Windows 7 and should not be used on these versions of Windows.  The underlying installation technology for OS components is completely new in Windows Vista, so install/repair techniques for Windows XP OS components will not continue to work on Windows Vista and higher.  Also, some of the registration utilities that shipped with previous versions of Media Center are not included in Windows Vista or higher because they are no longer needed.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 Media Center files and registry information are protected by Windows Resource Protection (WRP) in Windows Vista.  This means that only the OS installer service (named TrustedInstaller) has permission to modify/remove these files or registry keys unless you specifically take ownership of the files/keys and add additional user accounts to the access permission list (which you should not need to do except in extraordinary circumstances).

If you run into problems while using Windows Vista or Windows 7 Media Center and you suspect that files or registry entries that are a part of the Media Center feature are corrupt, you can use the instructions listed below to attempt to repair them.

Repairing Windows Vista and Windows 7 Media Center files

You can use the following steps to repair the files that are a part of Windows Vista Media Center:

1. Click on the Start menu, choose All Programs, then Accessories, then right-click on the Command Prompt item and select Run as administrator
  2. Click Continue to authorize opening a command prompt with administrative privileges
  3. Run this command in the cmd prompt: sfc /scannow
  4. The cmd prompt should list text stating “Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.”
  5. Wait for the scan to complete (this can take several minutes so be patient).  This command will scan all protected system files and attempt to replace incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions
  6. When the scan completes, the SFC tool will indicate whether or not it found any problems and whether or not it was able to fix them
  7. If any errors are reported that SFC was unable to fix, there are steps in this knowledge base article and this how-to guide that explain how to locate and attempt to fix the errors
  8. After fixing any errors that are found, try to use Windows Vista Media Center again

Disabling and re-enabling Windows 7 Media Center

You can use the following steps to disable and re-enable Windows Media Center on Windows 7.  These steps do not apply to Windows Vista.

1. Click on the Start menu, type optionalfeatures.exe and press Enter to launch the Windows Features control panel
  2. In the Windows Features control panel, expand the item named Media Features
  3. Uncheck the items named Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player
  4. Click OK, wait for the process to finish, and reboot your computer
  5. Click on the Start menu, type optionalfeatures.exe and press Enter to launch the Windows Features control panel
  6. In the Windows Features control panel, expand the item named Media Features
  7. Check the items named Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player
  8. Click OK, wait for the process to finish, and reboot your computer

Repairing Windows Vista and Windows 7 Media Center registry entries

Unfortunately, there is not an easy way of repairing the registry keys/values that are installed by Windows Vista and higher like there is for files.  If you want to try to repair the registry keys/values that are a part of Windows Vista and Windows 7 Media Center, you will need to run Windows setup again and repair the OS.

<update date=”10/7/2008″> Added a link to a knowledge base article about SFC and how to find errors that it reports during its repair process. </update>

<update date=”8/17/2009″> Fixed broken link to knowledge base article. </update>

<update date=”2/24/2011″> Added a note about how to disable and re-enable Windows Media Center on Windows 7. </update>

<update date=”2/25/2011″> Updated the note I added yesterday to also include Windows Media Player. </update>

1. Garry Trinder says:

In case anyone else experiences this issue, I once had a problem with MCE Vista that had similar behavior to the component registration/tuner error issue in MCE 2k5.

It turned out that the recording shedule data (Recordings.xml) had become corrupted (I didn’t analyze it to see exactly how, but MCE couldn’t read the data). Deleting this file (located under UsersAll UsersMicrosofteHomeRecording) fixed the issue, though note that this will also clear your scheduled recordings (I had a backup Recordings.xml file to replace the corrupted one).

2. tmccorry says:

Vista MCE suddenly had problems this morning after working fine the night before. I was receiving "component registration failure" errors whenever I did anything that involved the Guide. I tried a reinstall of Vista after using SFC didn’t work. Still had the problem.

Once I deleted the Recordings.xml file per n4cer’s post and renamed one of the backups, everything worked fine. Thanks for the tip!

3. nsbalt says:

Having the same issue as n4cer, but with MCE vista.  Although there is no recordings.xml file for me to delete. SFC was clean.  Looked everywhere for a resolution to this issue.  Even had HP support try (as I just purchased a HP Media Center PC yesterday.) No help.  Tried all of the above.  Another forum suggested re-installation of the vista codec package. I am running the 32 bit version – tried to find the latest from microsoft and elsewhere.  Not sure what to use.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

4. Hi Nsbalt – There is a codec package that comes with Windows Vista Home Premium and Ultimate as a part of the OS.  I don’t know of a way to re-install it other than to re-install Windows Vista (same as for the core Media Center features themselves).

Did this problem that you’re experiencing just recently start happening, or has it always happened since you got this Windows Vista system?  If it just started, do you know what (if any) changes were made to your system that might help explain Media Center behavior changes?  For example – did you install any updated drivers for your hardware?

Also, what kind of steps did HP have you try?

It might help to post a question in one of the following location to get further suggestions about how to resolve this type of issue:

5. nsbalt says:

Thanks Astebner.  The problem started the morning after I bought the PC.  It was working fine when 1st hooked up the night before.  I did install a few programs – – iTunes, an HP web cam that came with the computer, Print drivers for a Lexmark x9350 & a HP 8450, ArcSoft Photo impressions (which also came with the PC), and maybe Paltalk (not sure If I installed that the next day).

All of this I told HP support.  They had me walk through running some of the dos commands in one of your earlier threads.  They also had me uninstall and re-install the TV Tuner Driver (Which I did try prior to contacting them.  After that did not work, they emailed me instructions on how to set up Media Center – – – Which I also tried before calling them.

I will check out the links you provided.  I would hate to have to re-install Vista.  I really do not use the TV function much, but I hate when something is not working, especially after just purchasing it!

Thanks again,

Neil

6. Hi Nsbalt – If there is another program or process running on the system that uses the TV tuner card, it can cause "tuner not found" errors within Media Center.  This is because only one program can have access to the tuner hardware at any given time, and unfortunately the error message provided by Media Center is not as descriptive as it could be.

Is it possible that you have another program that also uses the TV tuner card?  I have heard of some webcams that interact with tuner cards, but there could be other programs that you installed on your system that use the tuner card as well.

As an experiment, you could try to use the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/11/25/disabling-services-with-msconfig-to-work-around-setup-failures.aspx to disable any non-Microsoft services and see if that helps with this issue.

7. nsbalt says:

Thanks for the incredibly quick response.  I tried the steps above. After re-booting, I still get the "Windows Media Center Receiver Service stopped working and was closed" error.  Then the "Tuner Not Found" error when trying to access TV in media center.

There was another forum where someone was experiencing the same issue w/a different tuner.  The fix for him was to change the MCE services group to Local System from Network Services. I also tried this – – no luck.  Cahnged it back to Network Services.

Is is possible that I may have caused more issues by attempting the Service change?

Thanks.

Neil

8. Hi Nsbalt – I don’t think the service changes you mention would cause any additional issues.  Were you also able to check to see if any other programs/processes are using your TV tuner card to see if that might explain this issue?

Also, there might be some log files from the Windows Media Center Receiver Service crash in C:programdatamicrosoftehome or in the event log on your system.  If you can check there, it might help narrow down the root cause of this issue.

9. Gaervern says:

Hi astebner,

I get the following error message all the time: "Windows Media Center Receiver Service has stopped working" due to (DEP – Data Execution Prevention), and the Media center no longer makes scheduled recordings. If you google this message, you will see that a lot of people get this problem after installing video editing tools or codecs. I believe the problem started after installing AVS video tools. I also ran Onecare.live registry scan, which deleted old system restore points (stupid). Maybe the problem is related to mpeg2 encoders? How can I get the system back in shape without reinstalling?

I tried to follow your points on top, but I had to do it in this way to get it to work (non-english version of vista)

1 search for cmd

2 right-click and run as administrator

3 enter: sfc /scannow

I got the message that not all errors could be corrected, and the Windows Media Center Receiver Service still doesn’t work after a restart.

Is there anything else I could try before reinstalling the system? I could e-mail the CBS-log from the sfc scan, if that could help identifying the problem.

10. Hi Gaervern – I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what else to suggest in this scenario to try to avoid a re-install.  It is possible that installing some video editing tools or other codecs could cause this kind of issue, so it might help to uninstall those programs and see if you have better results.  There might also be a log related to the Windows Media Center Receiver service at C:ProgramDataMicrosofteHome on your system or some entries in the event log on your system that could help narrow this down further.

11. Gaervern says:

I was able to restore the system files with EMC Retrospect Express back-up program, that came with WD My Book. Now, the media center works again. I guess the AVS Video Tools are not Vista-savy yet, although it says so on their web-site. Thanks anyway!

12. OceansAway says:

Thank you n4cer!  I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to fix component registration / cannot find tv tuner / files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt errors after installing Rollup 2 for Media Center.  I just upgraded to Vista from Windows XP home on an HP Media Center PC.  I did every fix on this blog, but nothing worked.  The I read n4cer’s obscure fix.  How could a corrupt Recorded TV file cause MC to not recognize the TV Tuner?  Beats me.  Deleting the file Recordings.xml (located under UsersAll UsersMicrosofteHomeRecording) fixed everything!

13. efiguero says:

Gaervern, Can you elaborate on how you fixed your issue. I installed some Sony video tools (Vegas, etc) and I think since then I have been having the "Windows Media Center Receiver Service has stopped working" error. I can no longer watch live TV , nor can I rerun the windows media center set up, it just locks up. So I guess I need some guidance here. Any help would be great. I just don’t want to have to do a recovery and then have to reinstall all my programs. Thanks in advance.

14. Janson Ragon says:

Just wanted to add my thanks for a good article, but also to N4cer as deleting the recordings.xml file fixed the woes that I had as well!

Cheers

Janson

15. nmaxfield says:

I also have the same issue and is also started after installing Sony Vegas.   Any suggestions?

16. Hi NMaxfield – If the suggestions in this blog post and in the comments from other customers do not help, then I don’t know of any other options currently other than to try to repair/re-install Windows.

I’m not sure what the Sony Vegas product does, but does it help at all to uninstall that?

17. palavering says:

I ran RUN, Run AS Administrator (right-click on Run)and entered the text sfc /scannow (Don’t forget the space between c and the forward slash / ).  The program took about ten minutes, notified me that he had found corrupt files and that it had corrected these same errors.  Suddenly, my WMC icon was back (it disappeared a few weeks ago), and my programs are working correctly.  Thanks to everyone for their help.

18. deepcoveruk says:

Hello, I found this page when Vista Media Center started crashing anytime I tried to watch live TV.

However, none of the fixes above helped me out.

I discovered that if the kernel debugger is enabled, Media Center will develop these symptoms.

The debugger can be disabled by entering:

bcdedit -debug off

from an elevated command prompt and rebooting.  I hope this info will help somebody out.

19. momentarydogma says:

I have been using Media Center since the second beta of MCE2003, and I have never had any problem like the one described above until today.  What’s worse is that I have always built my own systems, but this one I was forced to buy from HP since I want to use Digital Cable Tuners.  I set the system up two days ago and everything was working flawlessly until today– two ATI external Digital Cable Tuners and two ATI Theater 650 PCI cards for OTA HDTV.  This morning I was watching standard-def TV and I tried to change the channel to an OTA HD station when the system crashed and gave me a BSOD.  When I restarted, Vista told me that the system had crashed because of an nVidia driver problem.  I tried watching TV again and it told me that no tuners are installed, and I got the "media center receiver service stopped working" error multiple times.  I have tried all solutions offered here (including disabling debugger) to no avail.  I also tried deleting "recordings.xml", but I was unable to find that file.  sfc /scannow from the command prompt found no errors whatsoever.  I have physically uninstalled and reinstalled all of my tuners and drivers, and still media center is unable to find them.  I have also uninstalled and reinstalled my nVidia 8500GT video card with no luck.  This is particularly frustrating because I swore I would NEVER purchase a pre-built PC, but it was the only way for me to get the OCUR functionality– two days after it arrives, this  happens, effectively rendering my only source of TV useless.  The only thing I’ve done that might’ve caused this is that I changed my Public folder to another hard drive and deleted the old one.  I restored it after this happened though, and it did not fix the issue.  If MS ever wants Media Center to catch on like it should, they’ve got to work out bugs like this before unleashing them on the unsuspecting public.

20. Hi Momentarydogma – I’m sorry for the hassles that this issue has caused for you.  Media Center uses locations under the Public folder for some of its storage, and it requires special ACLs so that its services can access those folders.  It is possible that deleting and recreating the Public folder would cause the type of errors you are seeing.  I don’t know the exact ACLs that need to be reset after recreating that folder, but at a minimum, the ehStart, ehSched and ehRecvr services need to have read/write/modify access to the PublicRecorded TV folder and any sub-folders underneath it.

It is likely most reliable for you to either look at the exact ACLs on another system running Windows Vista Media Center to get the exact set of ACLs, or repair/re-install your OS to restore the default values.

21. quadrun1 says:

I had similar problems; Windows Media Center couldn’t find my recorded programs nor could I watch TV–it said to contact my hardware manufacturer!

It turns out my Windows Media Center was crashing due to a Vista component which was broken, called WMI. This command fixed it:

Click Start, then type: cmd <enter>

then type:

net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD <enter>

and then type: exit <enter>

Good luck!

Jason

22. runningfromtherain says:

I’ve recently had this problem with the same error message from both the WMC on my laptop and the WMC on ym XBOX360 – "A necessary component of Windows Media Center is currently not available" i’ve searched everywhere for a solution, i’ve tried the 3 DLL option but no luck, it just dies after about 20 seconds.. help!

23. Hi Runningfromtherain – I’m sorry for the hassle this is causing for you.  I haven’t heard of that specific error in the past – is this on a Windows Vista system or a Windows XP system?  Also, I’m not familiar with a 3 DLL option, so can you describe what steps you took to try that option?

Just to confirm, have you tried running sfc /scannow like this blog post describes?  If so, and if it didn’t help, it might help to post a question at one of the following locations to see if anyone there has any additional suggestions:

It might also help to try to repair/re-install your Windows Vista OS (assuming you are running into this issue on Windows Vista).

24. runningfromtherain says:

Yeah its Windows Vista, i tried the solution on the sfc /scannow and it said that it found problems, "some were repaired and some couldn’t be fixed" but when i tried to view the log it was Access denied. The greenbutton site is where i found the 3 dll solution that still hasn’t helped!

in command prompt i had to type in

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

regsvr32 wmp.dll

it worked for a couple of minutes then crashes!!

25. Hi Runningfromtherain – If you are attempting to re-register DLLs on Windows Vista, you’ll need to make sure to do that from an elevated cmd prompt.  You can open one of those by clicking on the Start menu, choosing All Programs, then Accessories, then right-clicking on Command Prompt and choosing Run as administrator.

If SFC is reporting problems and it cannot fix them, then this means there is something wrong with the files that came with your OS, and you may have to try an OS repair/re-install to resolve this issue.

26. copterpilot says:

I am getting the same error as n4cer, but I have no recordings.xml file.  Could that be the problem?…and if so, how can I get this file back?

27. Hi Copterpilot – The file recordings.xml is created when you schedule any TV show recordings in Windows Media Center.  If you are getting the sam eerror as N4cer and running sfc /scannow didn’t help, then I think you may need to try to repair/re-install your Windows Vista OS in order to try to resolve this issue.

28. I have previously posted some instructions ( here and here ) that can be used to verify and attempt to

29. I have previously posted some instructions ( here and here ) that can be used to verify and attempt to

30. lazykdan says:

How about suggestions for this scenario:

WMC worked great for several months, scheduling and recording perfectly until sometime just before March 6.

For some reason, WMC will no longer recognize one of my channels and gives the message:

No TV signal.  There is currently no TV signal detected for this channel.  The channel may be temporarily off the air, or you may need to adjust or reconnect your TV antenna.

I use OTA antenna reception and have confirmed that the channel is still broadcasting.  I have tried a second tv tuner and the channel is still not recognized by WMC.  I have also used this tv tuner in a second computer, which does recognize the ‘missing’ channel.

It has to be something with WMC, but what?

Thanks for any suggestions.

31. netfred says:

Thanks to posting by N4cer I managed to fix the problems.

Once I deleted the Recordings.xml file and renamed one of the backups, everything worked fine. Thanks for the tip!

All the best,

netfred

p.s. The sfc /scannow did not give me any leads as it did not report any problems.

32. eddie1980 says:

Hi first of all thanks to people who wrote up there experiences here it saved me a re install or re image, I had a similar experience to most posts here Media center worked fine then all of a sudden it wont access the TV tuner so after reading this blog i went in search of the recordings.XML file as mentioned above i also re named one of the old backed up copies i found in the same location to the .XML file format to replace the file i deleted and hey presto it worked. I no this is pointless feedback as everyone else has said the same but many thanks to all who wrote about it.

33. One of our readers, mrmoto, has dropped us a tip on repairing your broken Media Center system files. Since we’re all about hacking Windows 7 Media Center the need to repair what has been broken is…

34. zenQuatro says:

Thank you, n4cer, for sharing! You truly saved me a day of grief!

All good things to you…

35. pete-taylor@live.co.uk says:

For those who may still come across the "Windows Media Center Receiver Service has stopped working" problem as I did recently (and found this page after searching for it). Assuming that you have also installed Sony Vegas, the solution is here:

This may help others like me – I almost went for a re-install of Windows until I stumbled across that page!

36. Lofty says:

pj147. You are a star. I have been having zero success at getting WMC to acknowlage my tv card. I had eliminated all hardware issues and was sure it was something to do with my particular installation of Win7. When you mentioned Sony Vegas the bells started to ring as I have Vegas 7 installed. After renaming the file cfhd.dll to cfhd.dll.bak WMC finds my tv card instantly and works fine. Wonderful and once again thankyou for posting.

37. RC says:

I purchased my HP PC with Windows Vista in 01/08 and have had absolutely nothing but great things to say about the windows media center.  I absolutely love it and use it constantly all the time.  Well today, I had my very first problem with it – I got the dreaded message, "Some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt. Windows Media Center component registration may have failed."  After trying everything I could think of and scans turning up nothing, I started googling my problem which led me to this weblog.  Thankfully, n4cer's post from 03/07 solved my problem.  I deleted my Recordings.xml file and my problem was solved.  Special Thanks to n4cer and to Aaron Stebner for allowing posters to share their knowledge, ideas, and experiences!!!

38. Byronincoosbay says:

Hi, about a week ago I started having a problem with Windows Media Center on my Windows Vista pc. The issue is that this program opens up a window of itself whenever I try to open an unrelated program…no matter what program I'm trying to open. It is now almost completely taken over! I can't open System Restore, troubleshooting options, my email, google, games of any type, McGaffee, Norton, Perfect Optimizer, Windows Explorer, etc, etc. When trying to find some kind of a fix, it ALWAYS ends up opening a Windows Media Center window. And, this window only allows volume & full screen control. I also, have never intentionally gone to this site. I do not want to watch tv or movies…I do watch You Tube & use Windows Media Player once in a while which may use this program or not. I'm not computer savvy enough to figure it out, I just want it out of my face!! Please Help!!

39. Hi Byronincoosbay – I'm sorry, but I haven't heard of this type of behavior before, so I'm not sure exactly what to suggest for you to try to fix this.  It might help to go into regedit.exe and see if there is something incorrectly configured to launch ehshell.exe (this is the main program name for Windows Media Center).  You might also have to try to repair/re-install Windows by re-running Windows setup from your original OS installation disc to solve this.

40. Zamar says:

Hi Aaron,

Do you have a similar blog or can suggest one for Win7 MC? Can you suggest a webpage, detailing inner workings of TV Guide, and what regions & IP ranges it covers by what content? Is there a way to switch in WMC db files from MS Guide to Zap2it.com to bypass problems with MS Guide altogether forever? My issue was described here (thegreenbutton.com/…/98859.aspx) – Guide never downloads, channels are OK, no WMC Event Log, can't find Guide download log file. Can you suggest a solution, explanation, or relevant weblink? Why MS Social site offers dead silence on TV Guide issues?

41. Hi Zamar – The SFC repair command will work in all versions of Windows, but keep in mind that it only repairs files, not anything else (such as the registry, file/folder/registry permissions, etc).  Windows Media Center also appears in the Media Features category of the Windows Features control panel (optionalfeatures.exe) on Windows 7, so it might help to remove it and re-add it from there.

I normally suggest posting this type of question on the Green Button forums (thegreenbutton.com/…/ShowForum.aspx) or the newsgroups (http://www.microsoft.com/…/reader.mspx).

If you're not having any luck with the forums or newsgroups, you can also try to contact Microsoft technical support for more in-depth assistance with this issue.  You can find contact information at http://support.microsoft.com.

42. Zamar says:

Thanks Aaron,

You suggestion to disable & re-enable Media features (with 2 reboots) worked! And WMC Event Logger is working again!

43. Hi Zamar – That is great news!  I'll update this blog post with that suggestion too.

44. Zamar says:

Just wanted to clarify that both Media Center and Media Player (in my experience) should be disabled and re-enabled. Also, after re-enabling them Win7 doesn't require a reboot, but the Guide still won't work until you in fact reboot. 🙂

45. Zamar says:

Also wanted to add for guys who lives in Canada near US border with good ATSC & NTSC coverage: if you select Canada as your region and add postal code, you'll get only Canadian channel lineup in Guide. Instead, you select US as your region, open Zap2it.com, and try several different ZIP codes just from across the border from your location to see, what ZIP code gives you the most complete US & Canada channel lineup. For Toronto & GTA & Buffalo area one of most complete is linked to ZIP 14174 . This is critically important step to research before you enter that ZIP into WMC Guide Setup. If you also need to add Canadian QAM cable channels to the ATSC & NTSC US & Canada OTA channels mix, Peter Near's Blog (thegreenbutton.com/…/enabling-atsc-amp-qam-in-canada-for-windows-7-rtm.aspx) is your best friend at the moment. The Guide itself just can't by default give you a mix of channels you in fact can receive from both sides of the border, despite many ATSC US stations are targeting Canada and have strongest directional signal turned towards Canada (so its not copyright issue, just the Guide deficiency).

46. Hi Zamar – Thanks for the additional information.  I'll update the blog post to suggest disabling and re-enabling Windows Media Player too.

47. Rich says:

Deleting Recordings.xml worked for me too!

Accessing the Guide, Recorded TV or Scheduled Recordings all just hung giving me the "Component Registration" error, on Vista Home Premium.  It started completely out of the blue about a week ago.

I tried unregistering and re-registering everything, I ran sfc (and it said there was a file – TCP.ini couldn't be repaired, but said it had repaired a few other things – nothing.

Then I saw this comment about Recordings.xml.  I backed up the three files in that folder (.xml, .xml.bak and .xml.side – last one was 0kb) and then deleted the .xml one and copied the .xml.bak one in its place and presto!  Media Center now works again and all my recordings and scheduled items are there!  Hooray!  Thanks n4cer!  Note also that after doing this the .side one has now vanished.

48. toufailahmed@msn.com says:

Hi i am having a problem with WMC i i have been using it for quite a while now never had any problems, but since yesterday i am having a problem which is that when i click on live TV it runs because i can hear the  sound but no picture is on the screen same thing is happening with my recoded program i can only hear the sound but no pic, do you know what could be the problem and what is the fix, BTW i have windows 7 ultimate service pack 1

T

49. Hi Toufail – I'm sorry, but I haven't worked on Windows Media Center since the Windows Vista release.  I'm not sure what to suggest in this scenario other than to check for updated drivers for your video and TV tuner cards.

If updating drivers doesn't help, I'd suggest posting a question about this scenario on one of the following forums to see if someone there can provide any other suggestions for you to try:

thegreenbutton.com/…/ShowForum.aspx

50. Softgil says:

Just wanted to add a simple but powerful free tool to repair codecs or fix playback issues. The Codec Tweak Tool has the ability to scan and remove broken codecs and DirectShow filters.

codecpack.co/…/K-Lite_Codec_Tweak_Tool.html

51. jaypee says:

my wmc doesnt work..pop up message keeps on popping whenever i start using wmc…( a necessary component of the windows media center did not start properly. restart windows media center)–this is the error code…

please help me with this..thanks..

52. Hi Jaypee – If the steps that are listed above in this blog post don't help, then the only other way I know of to repair Windows Media Center components is to repair/re-install Windows.

53. Stig says:

If your Windows Media Center Program crashes at start every time without opening:

Step 1. Close Windows Media Center and all related processes.

Step 2. Navigate to the "C:ProgramDataMicrosoft" folder. (careful in here!!)

Step 3. Rename the "ehome" folder to "(backup)ehome"

Step 4. Navigate to the "C:Windows" folder. (careful in here!!)

Step 5. Rename the "ehome" folder to "(backup)ehome"

Step 6. Run Windows Media Center

This fixed mine, hope it fixes yours!

54. Kathygo says:

My PC came with Vista. Then I converted to Windows 7.  Since then, whenever I reboot, Media Center forgets my tv setup and I have to redo it all again.  My system says I have the latest driver so I'm stumped. Any ideas?

55. Hi Kathygo – I haven't run into this particular issue in the past, so I'm not sure what you will need to do to fix it.  I'd suggest posting a question on the forums at experts.windows.com/…/default.aspx and hopefully someone there will be able to provide some suggestions for you to try.

56. APP says:

Thanks to posting by N4cer I managed to fix the problems as well.

Once I deleted the Recordings.xml file everything worked fine.

p.s. The sfc /scannow did not give me any leads as it did not report any problems as well.

57. Still broke. some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt. Windows Media Center component registration may have failed says:

some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt.  Windows Media Center component registration may have failed

58. Hi Still broke – If running SFC didn't help fix this error, then you might need to repair/re-install Windows to fix this.  Before doing that, you might want to post a question on the forums at http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums to see if someone there can help suggest any additional workarounds to try before you have to resort to a Windows repair.

59. columbia93 says:

I have this problem, too. I've spent several days trying to revert my system as it happened after updating my video driver (which, in retrospect, I remembered that I don't do this because it can cause problems), updating Windows (restore didn't fix it) AND setting up my Sony Blu-Ray player to access my computer files. Bingo! I've had this computer since 2008 and I discovered early on that WMC cannot run more than 1 video program – not much of a Media Center, is it! I'm guessing that setting up the BR to access the computer violated that ridiculous limit.

I now get the the Component Registration Failure message on WMC. Also, my WinTV quit working, too. Seemed like a big part of the issue was in accessing the internet so hoped the reinstall would "reset" the connections. I was able to get WinTV to work again by deleting my wireless internet adapter & the WinTV drivers and then reinstalling them.  While I use WinTV often, I cannot schedule on it (the way I had to set it up) so WMC is great for those shows that come on when I'm not available. While the problem was fixed in WinTV, WMC still isn't working. I tried a setup but it hung up on the IR Receiver and not being able to find it – although it is working and makes the appropriate changes when I use it for volume and starting WMC. I'm also still getting that message.

This is a big and ongoing problem that MS has failed to fix. Figures! It should not require a reinstall of the OS. Period. I won't do it. This is a direct result of WMC being unable to handle multiple video programs. It also seems to be related to internet connectivity. It certainly seems that Microsoft should have made available a fix for this problem as it is prevalent enough to warrant it. Of course, now MS doesn't support Vista so I'm unlikely to get any help from there. But, reading the threads over there that relate to this problem, and there are many, MS has no idea what is going on. How frightening is that?

Additionally, there is no All Users folder on my system. Is that because there is only me? (Can't find a Recordings.xml file to delete, or whatever was suggested above.)

60. Hi columbia93 – I'm sorry for the hassles that this issue is causing for you.  I haven't worked on the Windows Media Center team for several years now, so I am not sure what steps to suggest to try to solve this issue.  It might help to post a question on the forums at http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/…/viewforum.php to see if someone there has any suggestions for you to try.

61. columbia93 says:

The lovely thing about people in general is that there are many willing to help. It is unfortunate that those people don't work for Microsoft. (A general observation and not directed at Mr. Stebner.) I've posted all over the place and read hundreds of threads on this and, the few times MS responds, it's with silly solutions that indicate the person doesn't understand the problem.

I continued my search and today found a solution – and not by a Microsoft person. It is a very simply solution and seems to me that anyone working for MS and especially working a customer service desk, should know about. With all the silly bits of crap that MS on all these forums and posts offered as advice, what this guy said was to delete the "insides" of the eHome folder, then restart the PC and let the system rebuild the folder. THAT worked.

bjdraw.com/…/how-to-reset-windows-7-media-center

I just cannot fathom MS not being aware of this folder having the capabilities to rebuild itself if something goes bad. The errors all these people were getting – even if they appeared to be 4 or 5 different ones – were errors we were all getting pertaining to the same set of problems. A simple solution and MS couldn't support their product. It is shameful.

Anyway, I hope you leave my comment up here because it will likely be helpful to someone at sometime.

62. jtpcamp@comcast.net says:

On a fresh installation of Windows 7 Pro X 64 I find that when I try to set up WMC I get a error when Downloading Setup Data that always Fails and I am told that My computer is not configured for digital cable. It worked before a reformat. I am able to choose a digital cable company and can watch live digital tv but when I record the recordings have audio errors where I only get 1 channel of sound. No voice but background sounds and music only.

I've tried the Fix it Tool from MS and turning WMC off and ion but still get the error.

How do I fix this?

63. Hi jtpcamp – I'm sorry for the hassles that this issue is causing for you.  I haven't worked on the Windows Media Center team for several years now, so I don't know what steps to suggest to try to solve this issue.  I'd suggest posting a question on the forums at http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/…/viewforum.php to see if someone there has any workarounds for you to try.

64. SFC - Stuck on AMD64 Driver file - PlayReady for CableCard says:

Apparently this particular one was needed because I reviewed the SFC log – removed the file it was unable to repair automatically and simply deleted it in hopes it would be recreated by SFC — no such luck and it completely broke WMC as in it would now crash when looking for the tuner card.  The cablecard diagnostics were no longer visible, so it may have had something to do with the playready (for cable card compatibility).  This was after 2 attempts at completely remove MCE feature (with media player) and restarts.

I finally did a system restore and set a system restore before / after the successful tuner detect and playready install.

65. Mike says:

Windows 7 Media Center
    Hauppage WinTV HVR-1600

In Win 7 Media Center, I suddenly began getting the following message when trying to launch the guide: “Viewing or Listening Conflict No Tuner available to satisfy the current request.” I tried the following 3 remedies:

1. I tried installing KB:981129 from Microsoft to fix this but it wouldn’t install and said it wasn’t applicable to my PC.
    2. I reloaded (updated) the drivers for my Hauppage WinTV HVR-1600 with WinTV V7 Ver. 3.9G which did not help.
    3. I found your website and followed your procedure to Disable/Re-enable Media Center. This solved the problem.

Thank you!

66. Charles says:

After downloading Windows 10 It uninstaled the windows media center. Need that app for my tv tuner. After recovery back to Windows 7, media center stops responding when I try to record future movies or tv shows. Is there a fix for ths?

1. Hi Charles – I’d suggest posting a question on the Windows 7 forum at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7 and hopefully someone there will have some repair steps that they can suggest to get Windows Media Center working again.