Niall Ginsbourg of Mobilewares has posted an interesting entry on the Big Screen Blog that I wanted to bring to your attention if you haven't seen it yet. He has created a couple of new features for the Big Screen family of Windows Media Center applications - an online version checker, and an online product catalog.
The online product catalog is a Media Center Presentation Layer Web Application that is hosted at http://mobilewares.net/mcml/default.aspx. You can quickly view the product catalog by using these steps:
- On a Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate system, install the Windows Media Center SDK for Windows Vista
- Install the MCML Preview Tool Launcher power toy
- Click on the Start menu, choose All Programs, then Microsoft Windows Media Center SDK, then MCML Preview Tool Launcher
- In the URI text box, copy and paste the value http://mobilewares.net/mcml/default.aspx
- Click Go to load the URI for the Mobilewares Online Showcase and view it in the MCML Preview Tool
You can view more details about these features in the blog post at http://mobilewares.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!78533A1A2E078194!174.entry. Niall didn't post a lot of details about how he implemented the online version checking and automatic updating scheme for these applications, so hopefully he'll talk more about how this feature works behind the scenes in a future blog post....