.NET Framework 3.0 setup log files

The installer for the .NET Framework 3.0 (formerly named the WinFX runtime components) chains several different MSIs and Windows hotfixes behind the scenes.  If this setup fails, there are numerous possible causes due to the number of packages being chained behind the scenes.

The following is a complete list of log files that can be produced during .NET Framework 3.0 setup.  This list may vary depending on what OS you are installing on, what processor architecture, and what prerequisite components were already installed on the system prior to running .NET Framework 3.0 setup.

Logs produced by the .NET Framework 3.0 setup wrapper

• Windows Workflow Foundation – dd_WF_3.0_x86retMSI*.txt

• Core .NET Framework 3.0 identity package – vsmsilog*.txt

Logs produced by the .NET Framework 3.0 language pack setup wrapper

• dd_dotnetfx3lperror.txt

• dd_dotnetfx3lpinstall.txt

Logs produced by packages chained during .NET Framework 3.0 language pack setup

• Individual .NET Framework 2.0 language pack MSIs – dd_netfx_retMSI_langpack*.txt

• Individual .NET Framework 3.0 language pack MSIs – vsmsilog*.txt

Log files will be located in the %temp% directory on the system during installation.  When setup completes successfully, the logs produced by the setup wrapper and the log file named vsmsilog*.txt are moved to a new folder located at %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\<product name>\Logs.  The <product name> will be Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 or one of the language packs (for example – Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 x64 Language Pack – FRA).

If you run into any issues while installing the .NET Framework 3.0 and report issues to Microsoft via the product feedback site or the MSDN Forums, please locate and include any of the above log files if possible because it will make it easier for us to debug the failures and find root causes and workarounds.

<update date=”11/9/2006″> Added a list of log files for .NET Framework 3.0 language packs and a couple of other log files that I missed originally.  Also added locations where the logs can be found. </update>

1. Martin Bohring says:

Hello Aaron,

based on your descriptions of the log files

created during .NET 3.0 setup, can one safely assume that the .NET 2.0 framework is included in the .NET 3.0 setup and installed as well. If that’s the case, some of our deployment scenarios would become much easier.

2. Hi Martin – Yes, if the .NET Framework 2.0 is not already installed on the system, .NET Framework 3.0 setup will automatically install it for you.

3. Martin Bohring says:

Hi Aaron,

that’s good news and of course I immediately tried that.

I don’t want to misuse you as a support resource, but the setup did not work out as exspected.

We have an XPE system with .NET 1.1 already installed (not via component but by installing it after FBA).

The .NET 3.0 setup failed during the installation of the WCF.

Do you know of non obvious OS components required by the WCF ?

I will further analyse the log files. They seem to have ended up in C:WindowsTemp.

Should I report this to the product feedback or try to extract more relevant info ?

The system under test has no internet connection, therefore the feedback feature of the setup is not usable.

4. Hi Martin – If you are running on XP Embedded, there is a chance that you are missing some dependencies that the WCF installer needs to complete successfully.  I don’t know the full list of dependencies for this component.  It might help to look at %temp%dd_wcf_retMSI*.txt to see what the exact cause of the setup failure is.  If you want, I can try to help you with that if you can zip and send the log file to Aaron.Stebner (at) Microsoft (dot) com.

5. Recently, I saw a post on the MSDN .NET Framework Setup Forum indicating that a customer was having trouble

6. Details about the .NET Framework 2.0 setup packaging Available command line switches for .NET Framework

7. I recently found an online version of the deployment readme for the .NET Framework 3.0 and I wanted to

8. Kulvinder says:

HI,

I am getting 1603 error while installing .NET 2.0 and i have extracted the following Log from the verbose logging :

06/26/07 16:59:48 DDSet_Status: Loading mscoree.dll

06/26/07 16:59:48 DDSet_Status: Loading fusion.dll using LoadLibraryShim()

06/26/07 16:59:48 DDSet_Error: Error occurred while initializing fusion. Setup could not load fusion with LoadLibraryShim(). Error: 0x80131700

MSI (s) (BC!FC) [16:59:51:557]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 — Error 25007.Error occurred while initializing fusion. Setup could not load fusion with LoadLibraryShim(). Error: 0x80131700

06/26/07 16:59:51 DDSet_CARetVal: 25007

06/26/07 16:59:51 DDSet_Exit: InstallAssembly ended with return value 1603

MSI (s) (BC:50) [16:59:51:589]: User policy value ‘DisableRollback’ is 0

MSI (s) (BC:50) [16:59:51:589]: Machine policy value ‘DisableRollback’ is 0

Action ended 16:59:51: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

What this means ? Can you help ?

9. bsaucer says:

I’m getting a WPF install failure when I try to install .Net Framework 3.0 The error returned is 1612.

10. Hi Bsaucer – Error code 1612 means "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."  I’d suggest using the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/30/487096.aspx to make sure that you don’t have any products named Windows Presentation Foundation installed on your system, and if you do, remove them using those steps.

After that, please try to download the full installer package for the .NET Framework 3.0 from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70848 (for x86) or http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70849 (for x64) and try to run setup again and see if that resolves this issue.

11. I have gotten several questions from customers about how to resolve installation problems with the .NET

12. SBobcat says:

I have been installing the .Net 3.0 framework on several machines in our environment. It has been successfull except for 3 machines.

On these machines:

.Net 3.0 had never been installed previously (nor betas or other releases).

MSIINV does not show any WCF components installed.

I get the same error in my log file as posted in comments by Kulvinder.

I have restarted the machine.

I have removed all temporary files.

I have run a "repair" on .Net 2.0.

I have run the 3.0 install in verbose mode.

I have run the .Net verifier for .Net 2.0 w/ success (no errors).

I have run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to see what it listed.

I cannot get anymore information other then the generic WCF error 1603 about failing installation. What else can I try?

13. Hi SBobcat – There is a list of known installation issues for the .NET Framework 3.0 in the release notes at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb188202.aspx.  You may want to check to see if you see any workarounds there that help resolve this issue on your system.

If those workarounds don’t help, can you please zip and send me the .NET Framework 3.0 setup log files from your system (listed above in this blog post), and also send me the text of any errors/warnings in the application event log that are logged by .NET Framework 3.0 setup so I can see if I can figure out any additional suggestions?  You can send the logs to Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

14. chasnoff says:

I’m having the hardest time here. I’m having that .NEt framework 3.0 error which requires me to install rgb rast. The problem is that ive manually downloaded it from 3 different sites including this one and im getting an error trying to install it. I can’t seem to find any more information. can you help with this?

log

MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:015]: Found shell folder  by spelunking through the registry.

MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:015]: Note: 1: 2103 2: 26

MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:015]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error

MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:015]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 2103

DEBUG: Error 2103:  Could not resolve path for shell folder 26.

MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:015]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error

MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:015]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709

MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:015]: Product: RGB9RAST — The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2103. The arguments are: 26, , MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:390]: Note: 1: 1708

MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:390]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error

MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:390]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1708

MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:390]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error

MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:390]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709

MSI (s) (58:FC) [11:00:02:390]: Product: RGB9RAST — Installation failed.

15. Hi Chasnoff – The error code you’re getting (2103) means that Windows Installer is having trouble resolving one of the Windows shell folder locations using the information in your registry.  Can you please send me the full log file from this failing install so I can take a further look and try to suggest a solution?  You can send the log to Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

16. A while back, I posted a list of instructions that can be used to enable Windows Installer verbose logging

17. A while back, I posted a list of instructions that can be used to enable Windows Installer verbose logging

18. A while back, I posted a set of instructions that can be used to try to resolve .NET Framework installation

19. A while back, I posted a set of instructions that can be used to try to resolve .NET Framework installation

20. h1ckman says:

any update to this?

Friday, December 21, 2007 2:23 PM by astebner

# re: .NET Framework 3.0 setup log files

I am getting the same error.

21. Hi H1ckman – That issue was from a few months ago, and I remember hearing from the customer who had that issue, but I can’t remember the resolution anymore.  Can you please send me your log files so I can take a look, and also send me the contents of the following locations in your registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion]

CommonFilesDir

ProgramFilesDir

ProgramFilesPath

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionexplorerShell Folders]

22. Hi H1ckman – That issue was from a few months ago, and I remember hearing from the customer who had that issue, but I can’t remember the resolution anymore.  Can you please send me your log files so I can take a look, and also send me the contents of the following locations in your registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion]

CommonFilesDir

ProgramFilesDir

ProgramFilesPath

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionexplorerShell Folders]

23. I often get questions from fellow employees or customers who find my blog regarding how to troubleshoot

24. A while back, I posted a list of possible log files for .NET Framework 3.5 and Visual Studio 2008 setup

25. こんにちは! 最近毎日のようにゲリラ雷雨が続いているため、折りたたみ傘が自分の中で必須コンポーネントになっている服部清次です。 さて、今日は昨日に続いて、 MSDN フォーラムの「よくある質問」で紹介した英語ブログへのリンクの中から、もう1つスレッドを和訳して紹介したいと思います。

26. jourseph says:

Hi Aaron,

I try to install .net framework 3.0 on my computer with Windows XP SP3.

However, I kept getting this error message:

[04/15/10,16:30:58] setup.exe: [2] ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InternalInstallManager() with HRESULT -2147023293.

I have uninstalled 2.0 and reinstalled it again before installed 3.0.

But it did not work.

What could the reason be?

27. Hi Jourseph – Can you please use the tool described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/11/21/6458047.aspx to gather your .NET Framework setup log files, post them on a file server such as http://skydrive.live.com and then reply here with a link so I can download the logs and take a look to see if I can figure out what is causing this error?

Also, I would suggest trying to install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7 instead of the .NET Framework 3.0.  3.5 SP1 will install 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 behind the scenes, and it contains setup bug fixes that can allow setup to succeed in some cases where 3.0 setup would otherwise fail.

28. nenad says:

this is stupid

it does not help. where can i login error for the net 3.0 please simple straight forward instruction that WORK not like the most of MS concepts.

29. Hi Nenad – I'm sorry for the hassles that this issue is causing for you.  This blog post is pretty old, and since then, there has been a tool created that will automatically gather your .NET Framework setup log files so that you don't have to go find them yourself.  You can find more information about that tool at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx.  If you're running into a .NET Framework setup error on your computer, can you please use that tool to gather your log files, post the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that will be created by that tool to a file server such as http://skydrive.live.com, and then reply back here and post a link that I can use to download your log files and investigate further?

30. Ziaulla says:

Hi Aaron

I am trying to install 2 .net framework updates(patches) on server 2003 sp2 KB2416473 & KB2418241 but I am getting the following error

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MsiInstaller

Event Category: None

Event ID: 10005

Date: 9/11/2010

Time: 6:22:31 PM

User: VBURDWDEVSQL01IBMsupport

Computer: VBURDWDEVSQL01

Description:

Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 — The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2908. The arguments are: {7D20733A-394B-4460-80E9-7D22FCC9D02F}, ,

For more information, see Help and Support Center at go.microsoft.com/…/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 7b 43 45 32 43 44 44 36   {CE2CDD6

0008: 32 2d 30 31 32 34 2d 33   2-0124-3

0010: 36 43 41 2d 38 34 44 33   6CA-84D3

0018: 2d 39 46 34 44 43 46 35   -9F4DCF5

0020: 43 35 42 44 39 7d         C5BD9}

YOUR HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED !

31. Hi Ziaulla – This type of error typically means that there is something wrong with the version of the .NET Framework 2.0 on your computer.  I'd suggest that you try to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 and see if that resolves this error.  If not, then you may need to uninstall + re-install the .NET Framework 3.5, 3.0 and 2.0 using steps like the ones at blogs.msdn.com/…/8108332.aspx.

Hopefully one of these suggestions helps in your scenario.