Repairing the Windows Installer service on a 64-bit OS

A customer recently contacted me due to a problem they were experiencing while trying to install the .NET Framework 2.0 on the x64 version of Windows Server 2003.  I took a look at the verbose log file for this scenario and saw the following error:

Action start 9:16:59: CA_InstallAssembly.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8.
MSI (s) (B0:F8) [09:17:03:906]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (x64) — Error 1719.The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Usually when I see error 1719, I recommend that the user try to repair the Windows Installer service.  However, in this case, that didn’t seem to help, and I had to refer this customer to the Microsoft technical support team for further assistance.

Our technical support team looked at this scenario in more detail and found that there was an additional set of steps needed to repair the Windows Installer service on a 64-bit OS.

Here is a complete set of steps that should allow you to repair the Windows Installer service on a 64-bit OS:

1. Click on the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK
  2. Run this command: %windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /unregister
  3. Run this command: %windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /unregister
  4. Run this command: %windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /regserver
  5. Run this command: %windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /regserver
  6. Restart the computer

After executing all of the above steps, you can try to re-run the failing setup and hopefully get better results.

Note that this workaround is documented in this knowledge base article, but the extra steps that are needed on 64-bit operating systems are somewhat buried in the middle of that article and can be easy to miss.

1. fadildugolli says:

here is the solution when everying else fails:

I suddenly became unable to install some applications. Whenever I would try,

I would get the following:

"Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can

occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is

not correctly installed. …"

The solutions I found in the MS KB were not effective for me.

solution

The paths I use assume that Windows is installed in the C:WINDOWS folder. Change the

path to match your installation if necessary.

In Registry Editor, navigate to:

HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesMSIServer

then change the DisplayName value to:

C:WINDOWSSysWOW64msiexec.exe /V

Close registry editor, then register the installer by opening a command

prompt and running:

C:WINDOWSSysWOW64msiexec.exe /regserver

2. Makrel says:

THANK YOU.

I struggled for hours trying to get this repaired – all I could find was the re-registering of the System32 versions and not the sysWOW64 versions. This fixed ALL my installation issues.

THANK YOU.

3. Jim says:

This also fixed my issue, on Win7 64 bit.  After cleaning up a bad SQL Server 2005 install & registry editing, the Windows Installer service was hosed.  I tried everything else… The secret was, as the other commenter observed:

In Registry Editor, navigate to:

HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesMSIServer

then change the DisplayName value to:

C:WINDOWSSysWOW64msiexec.exe /V

Close registry editor, then register the installer by opening a command

prompt and running:

C:WINDOWSSysWOW64msiexec.exe /regserver

After I rebooted, everything worked again!  (It didn't work before reboot)

1. asder says:

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks

4. Justin says:

Excellent work Aaron!

Successfully installed SQL Server 2005 on Windows 7 64bit without a hitch.

5. Kim Hoon says:

In Registry Editor, navigate to:

HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesMSIServer

then change the ImagePath value to: (Do not change the DisplayName value ^^)

C:WINDOWSSysWOW64msiexec.exe /V

6. Somesh says:

Thanks……this is the only solution which worked….

7. nicholas says:

when i am installing ms office i will get this below message please give some solution for this ……

"error 1719. this windows installer service could not be accessed. this can occur if the windows installer is not correctly installed.

contact your support personnel for assistance."

8. astebner says:

Hi Nicholas – What version of Windows are you running when you see this error?  If it is Windows Vista or newer, then I'd suggest trying the steps in the Knowledge Base article at support.microsoft.com/…/2642495 and the blog post at blogs.msdn.com/…/10165211.aspx.

9. Rick says:

FINALLY a solution that works on Windows 7 64-bit!! I thank you VERY much.

10. jfh says:

THANK YOU!

11. Sue says:

how do I get to the registry editor? Where do I find it?

12. astebner says:

Hi Sue – You can run regedit.exe to launch the registry editor.

13. Paul says:

Finally your solution worked Thanks

14. Jimmyklrn says:

Windows key and R , in the opened Run window type regedit

In Registry Editor, navigate to:

HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesMSIServer

then change the ImagePath value value to:

C:WINDOWSSysWOW64msiexec.exe /V

Close registry editor,

Press windows key and type cmd  in search. when cmd opens copy the below  location

C:WINDOWSSysWOW64msiexec.exe /regserver

Press enter  and Reboot

After I rebooted, everything worked again!  (It didn't work before reboot)

15. Scott says:

I followed Aaron Stebner's instructions to a T, and it worked. After trying to re-install my Windows Installer for 3 years, IT WORKED! Thank you, Aaron.

16. darleneartist says:

how do U change the system path without changing the msiexec.exe for windows 7 ultimate 64 bit system

17. darleneartist says:

I tried the above and found I didn't have CurrentControlSet/Services/MSIServer at all.

I coun't even find msiexec.exe. Can U please help me.

18. astebner says:

Hi darleneartist – Windows Installer (which includes msiexec.exe and the MsiServer service) is a part of the OS on all versions of Windows.  I don't know how to explain why you're not seeing that file or service registered on your computer.  You might want to try to repair the files that are a part of Windows by using steps like the ones at blogs.msdn.com/…/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx.  Those steps refer to the .NET Framework, but they apply equally to all files that are a part of Windows.

Those steps won't restore the service registration though, so you might need to manually re-create the service registration by adding the keys with regedit.exe.  You can look at the keys in regedit on another Windows 7 PC to see what they need to look like.

19. aarya says:

friend. do these steps work in windows 7 64-bit   ??????????????????????????????????????? if they don't let me know plz

20. astebner says:

Hi Aarya – The /unregister and /regserver commands appear to work, but do not actually do any re-registration on Windows 7.  There is a knowledge base article at support.microsoft.com/…/2642495 with some steps you can use to re-register the Windows Installer service on Windows 7.

21. Ramon says:

Just had this problem and tried Aaron's solution but it did not work.  Luckily, Jimmyklrn's solution did.  I'm glad that for some, Aaron's advice worked though.  Thanks to both Aaron and Jimmyklrn!

22. Diego says:

it worked for me!!!

thanks alot Aaron!!!!!!!!!!

23. abhishek says:

Hi i have window 8.1 and i am looking for window installer for window 8 but i am not getting please suggest me how to get the window installer

24. astebner says:

Hi abhishek – The latest version of Windows Installer is included as a part of the OS on Windows 8 and 8.1, and there shouldn't be any need for you to install it separately.

25. john says:

I tried all the above suggestions. Restarted my system after each try, but it still doesn't allow me to install or uninstall any application.

Any suggestion is most welcome.

System is windows 64 bit home premium

Another thing I noticed was that the services are not visible in extended view , but appear properly in standard view.

26. john says:

Any suggestion is most welcome.

System is windows 64 bit home

27. astebner says:

Hi John – What is the exact error message that you see when you try to install/uninstall applications on your computer?  Also, you said that you have Windows 64-bit Home, but what exact version of Windows is it – Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, etc?

28. John says:

Hi Aaron, thanks for replying. You are doing a great job.

I am using Windows 7.

The common error is "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe

mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly

installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

For some application it says that the files are missing.

I am guessing that the installer is corrupted, but I don't know how I should go about it.

Any help is appreciated…

Thanks !

29. astebner says:

Hi John – I'd suggest trying the steps in the knowledge base article at support.microsoft.com/…/2642495 to see if they help solve this problem on your computer.

30. John says:

Hi Aaron, sorry it took me long to reply.

I have already tried the steps on that link.

I am able to start msinstaller, but whenever trying to install or uninstall a MSI based software, I get MSI 1015 warning and 1014 error.

Also I am not able to start IE, can these both issues be related ?

My IE flashes for a msec and exits.

Thanks for your help !

31. astebner says:

Hi John – Based on those symptoms, it sounds like Windows Installer isn't correctly installed on your computer.  If the steps in the knowledge base article didn't help, then the only other thing I know of to do to solve that type of problem is to repair/re-install Windows.

I'm not very experienced with troubleshooting Internet Explorer issues, but I'd suggest trying to install/repair the latest version of IE (which is IE 11) on your computer to see if that helps resolve that issue.

32. mohamed tohamy says:

i can not find the MSIServer in the register edit what can i do ????

33. astebner says:

Hi mohamed tohamy – The repair steps for this problem are different depending on what version of Windows you have on your PC.  What version do you have on your PC?

34. atvir says:

Why I can not find the MSIserver in the register edit, my PC version Win7 prof 64 bit..can you help me..thanks before..

35. astebner says:

Hi atvir – I'm not sure why you're not seeing that information in your registry.  This is where it is located on my Windows 7 64-bit PC:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservicesmsiserver.

Are you seeing specific errors when trying to install .msi files on this computer?

36. Controller44 says:

I also do not have the msiserver in my HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservices. I am running Vista SP2 64 Bit. I found, on line, the script "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" to install but do not know how to get it in the proper way. I tried the MS installer but it would not install. Am I saveable?

37. astebner says:

Hi Controller44 – I'd suggest trying the repair steps listed at support.microsoft.com/…/2642495 to see if they help solve this problem.

38. controller44 says:

Hello. Thanks for replying so quickly. I have tried the steps in that post. They ask me to save the file I stated above as "Msirepair" on my desktop in Notebook and then right click the saved file and press run and to follow the prompts. When I right click I do not get the ability to "run" or the prompt to identify "administrator" credentials. The only thing on the drop down menu when I right click is to Merge, merge with what? When I physically search for the file "Msiserver" it isn't in my system at all. From the "regedit" My "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservices" goes from "msisadrv" to "Msiscsi" then "Mskssrv". It is strange that I have had this computer for 6 years and the entire file just suddenly disappears. Thanks for your time, if you can help it would be much appreciated.

39. controller44 says:

Sorry, the file saved on my desktop was saved as "Msirepair.reg".

40. atvir says:

Hi Aaron..thanks for your solution.

Finally I successfully install ms office 2013 on win7 64 bit..

41. astebner says:

Hi controller44 – That step in the knowledge base article isn't correct.  You should right-click on the file and choose Merge to add the information to your registry.  Hopefully this helps.

42. controller44 says:

I apologize Aaron for not being clear and taking up so much of your time. I did try to merge to no effect as my computer did not have the file to merge with. When merge was selected it just opened the file as a Notebook Document. Again, sorry I am so challenged.

43. astebner says:

Hi controller44 – Sorry that I misunderstood your previous reply.  I'm not sure why the Merge menu item didn't work correctly.  What happens if you just double-click on msirepair.reg?  Also, can you please double-check that the file isn't actually named msirepair.reg.txt?  Windows has a setting that will cause it to hide file extensions for known file types, and that can cause .txt files to not have ".txt" on the end of them.

44. controller44 says:

Thanks for the info, I never thought to confirm it wasn't saved as .reg.txt. But no it wasn't.

Properties shows the file as .reg and lists it as a registry file. When I double click the file opens as a notebook document, same as when I merge. I looked for the file in HKEY again and there is nothing more than what was stated a couple of posts ago. I very much appreciate your efforts and do not want to monopolize your time. I'll keep searching and if I find a solution I will post it here for all.

45. astebner says:

Hi controller44 – It sounds like the file registration for .reg files might not be working correctly on your computer.  Does it work if you right-click on msirepair.reg, choose Open With, then choose regedit.exe?

46. controller44 says:

Thanks Aaron, when I choose Open With it only gives me the Notebook option or to browse for another program / go on the internet.

The computer works fine but will not update any programs ie. anti-virus definitions. I will keep plugging on.

47. astebner says:

Hi controller44 – Can you please try these steps and see if they help?

1.  Right-click on msirepair.reg and choose Open with.

2.  Click the Choose default program… option.

3.  Click the Browse… button.

4.  In the Browse dialog, go to c:windows, choose regedit.exe, and click Open.

5.  Select Registry Editor in the list of programs afterwards.

48. controller44 says:

Well Aaron you are a genius. My registry now has a msiserver folder with appropriate files. Thank you very much for your assistance.

49. jubei says:

Thanks fadildugolli and Aaron for your help!! This was driving me crazy.

50. ron says:

I am running win 8.1 64 bit oem-dm and ran into problems attempting to install "AVG" 64 bit and was unsuccessful

I tried an option listed in this blog

run %windir%system32msiexec.exe /unregister

run %windir%syswow64msiexec.exe /unregister

run %windir%system32msiexec.exe /regserver

run %windir%syswow64msiexec.exe /regserver

the run command was not recognized.

I then went into regedit and navigated to HKLM and changed the

display name for MSIServer to C:WINDOWSSysWOW64msiexec.exe /V  that worked no problem

I then tried to execute the command

C:WINDOWSSysWOW64msiexec.exe /regserver

this failed as msiexec.exe did not recognize the switch /regserver

I then executed msiexec.exe /?  and there was no switch value regserver

what can I do now?

51. astebner says:

Hi ron – The /unregister and /regserver commands do not do anything in versions of Windows starting with Windows Vista.  There are some alternative repair steps listed at support.microsoft.com/…/2438651 that replace those commands on newer versions of Windows.

However, in most cases, the type of error that you're seeing is caused by a problem with the application's setup program and not with Windows Installer itself.  The knowledge base article that I linked in the previous paragraph contains information about how to enable verbose logging so you can try to reproduce the setup failure with logging enabled and then hopefully use the log to narrow down the root cause.  You can also search on the application manufacturer's web site to see if they have any known issues or workarounds for the installation issue that you're seeing.

52. Fabien Brunel says:

Hi,

in my case the file msi.exe was no present on %windir%syswow64 folder.

Juste copy the file from another w7x64 laptop and the software installation works fine.

Best regards.

53. KingIdler says:

Hi guys.

This is what i did to resolve my issue.

I Changed reg key HKLMSYSTEMCURRENTCONTROLSETSERVICESMSIServer – ImagePath to C:WINDOWSsystem32msiexec.exe /V then followed the steps above except at number 6 I just restarted the service. Sorted.

Hope this helps.

54. gjw says:

Hi Aaron,

I've ended up here having pretty much exhausted MS Fixits etc. I use W7 Prof. A few months back Windows updates started reverting and on closer inspection dot net updates were choking on not being able to access the Windows Installer. I got wrapped up in trying to fix dot net and uninstalled some of it before further investigations revealed the error 1719 was affecting other software installs. I did however get all other WUs installed.

I've run MS Fixits, registry merges, checked settings for WI in services, sfc and actions in the thread above. Still getting the error 1719. I really want to avoid Windows repairs or installs as life is too short to keep retraining Windows. Is there any other diagnostics I can run to see what the problem/solution is?

Thanks,

Gary

55. astebner says:

Hi gjw – If you haven't yet, I'd suggest trying to use the steps listed at support.microsoft.com/…/2642495 to reset the Windows Installer service settings on your computer.  If that doesn't help and if the other Fix-its that you've tried didn't help, then I don't know of any other options aside from repairing Windows itself.  It might also help to post a question on the Windows 7 forum at answers.microsoft.com/…/windows_7 to see if someone there has any additional suggestions for you to try before you resort to repairing Windows.

56. gjw says:

Hi Aaron,

Thanks – 2642495 – yes been there and done that. I've looked through the content at your second link and can see that there's a lot of people with the same problem not getting anywhere either. Didn't inspire confidence that investing time would get a return.

Thanks again for casting your eye over my problem.

Cheers,

Gary

57. Scott says:

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and I'm having a bit of trouble. The following 2 commands work:

%windir%system32msiexec.exe /unregister

%windir%system32msiexec.exe /regserver

But when I try the following:

%windir%syswow64msiexec.exe /unregister

%windir%syswow64msiexec.exe /regserver

I'll get the following error:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

Any ideas for this?

Thanks,

Scott

58. astebner says:

Hi Scott – Are there any errors or warnings reported in the Application Event Log on this PC when you run this command?  Hopefully there are, and if so, they should help narrow down the root cause of this issue further.  If you find any, please reply back here and copy/paste the information so I can take a closer look.

59. timzee says:

hie gut a problem with windows 8.1pro.  I cant install programs such as blackberry desktop software,desplayes the massage msiexec/option required parameter>{optional parameter}

60. astebner says:

Hi timzee – Do you see this type of error only for the Blackberry desktop software, or do you see it for all .msi-based setup programs?  If it is only for the Blackberry desktop software, I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer to see if they have any known issues or patches that you can try.  If it is for all .msi-based setup programs, then it might help to try to use the steps at support.microsoft.com/…/2642495 to repair the Windows Installer service, and if that doesn't help, then you might need to repair Windows to fix that type of problem.

61. julius sachs says:

is this work for xp sp2 64? i mean. edit the registry for resolve windows installer problem

62. astebner says:

Hi julius sachs – Yes, these steps should work for the 64-bit version of Windows XP.  There are also some steps for Windows XP systems at support.microsoft.com/…/315346 that might help you in this scenario.

63. Anonymous says:

hi, i sould work for the 64-bit version of Windows XP.

64. rj says:

Dear Aaron

my windows installer in running which i have checked from regserver and i also

did what solution you have provided but i am too much frustrated from this problem

and it is not fixed yet…

65. astebner says:

Hi rj – If you haven't yet, I'd suggest trying the repair steps listed at support.microsoft.com/…/2642495.  If those steps don't work either, then I'd suggest posting a question on one of the Windows forums at answers.microsoft.com/…/windows and hopefully someone there will be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps for you to try.

66. Patrick says:

hello aaron i am running windows 7 64 bit. i followed the instructions of HKey_localmachine typed above. I am now at msiserver what do I do now?

67. astebner says:

Hi Patrick – There are more detailed repair steps for Windows 7 in the knowledge base article at support.microsoft.com/…/2642495.  Can you try those steps and see if they help on your PC?

68. Jayesh Maroliwala says:

HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesMSIServer

Change the ImagePath > work fine thanks 🙂

69. Rajasekhar says:

Hi Aaron,

I am using Windows 7.

The common error is "ERROR 1719: The windows installer services could not beaccessed this can occur if the windows installer is not installed contact contact your support personnel for assistance"

installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

For some application it says that the files are missing.

Any help is appreciated…

Thanks,

Rajasekhar.

70. Rajasekhar says:

I am using Windows 2008 64-bit .

installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

For some application it says that the files are missing.

Any help is appreciated…

Thanks,

Rajasekhar.

71. astebner says:

Hi Rajasekhar – I'd suggest trying the repair steps listed in the knowledge base article at support.microsoft.com/…/2642495 to see if they help in your scenario.

If those steps don't work, then I'd suggest posting a question on one of the Windows forums at answers.microsoft.com/…/windows to see if someone there can provide additional workarounds for you to try.

72. DJ says:

Worked like a charm Thx!!!

73. prashant says:

how do i change the image path?  plz help

74. astebner says:

Hi Prashant – There is information at support.microsoft.com/…/2642495 about how to change the image path for the Windows Installer service.  Hopefully this helps in your scenario.

75. Charles says:

Hi! When i do the second step to the command prompt it is said that the directory name is invalid how can i fix this?

76. astebner says:

Hi Charles – The steps in this blog post will not work on Windows Vista or any newer version of Windows.  If you have Windows Vista or newer, then I'd recommend trying the steps at support.microsoft.com/…/2642495 instead of the steps in this blog post.

If you have a version of Windows that is older than Windows Vista, then the steps in this blog post should still work fine, and I'd recommend double-checking that you typed the command exactly as it is written above in this blog post.  If you still get the error after double-checking that, then can you please post a screenshot of the exact error that you're seeing so I can take a closer look?

77. Mark Schuurman says:

YEAH!

My W7 64 bits lost acces after installing a SSD and cloning OS to it, including backup remounting.

I followed the steps to change the path for the MSi server, i found this:

Description:  @%SystemRoot%system32msimsg.dll,-32

Image path:   @%SystemRoot%system32msiexec /V

Which I, accordingly to the instructions above, have changed into:

Description:  C:WindowssysWOW64msimsg.dll,-32

Image path:   C:WindowssysWOW64msiexec /V

Perhaps I could have left the "@%SystemRoot%" for what it was, but this mod worked EXACTLY as it had to, so I leave it this way now.

TNX extremely to Aaron and fadildugolli for the solution to the problem where all MS-employees were pointing into nowhere!

78. Randall says:

Hi Aaron. Thanks a lot for your help. For me, work perfectly!

79. N R Dwarakanathan Coimbatore AUG 212015 says:

SIR, WILL YOU PLEASE INFORM ME IF THE IE INSTALLATION CONTAINS WINDOWS INSTALLER 3.1.   IF SO WHICH VERSION OF IE HAS WINDOWS INSTALLER EMBEDDED

INTO IT SO THAT I DONT HAVE TO GO IN SEARCH OF WINDOWS INSTALLER

n_r_dwarakanathan66@hotmail.com

80. astebner says:

Hi – I don't believe that Internet Explorer uses Windows Installer for its setup.  Here is a link to the download page for Windows Installer 4.5 so you can download it directly – http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx.

81. zia says:

when i paste your specific commands in

Run

It shows a MessageBox .That tells

windows can't find 'run'.Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.

what i've to do

82. astebner says:

Hi zia – You don't need to copy and paste the word "run" in these steps.  You should start copying and pasting with %windir% in each of the commands.  I updated the text of the blog post to try to make this more clear for readers in the future.

83. Mike Bop says:

I'm seeing error 1719 windows installer service could not be accessed verify it is registered and enabled. Contact your support personnel on any installs, uninstalls or repairs. Windows 7 and I have tried everything suggested thus far.

I have tried using C:windowssystem32 and syswow64 in regedit for image path and display name. neither have worked. I've gone through support.microsoft.com/…/2642495 with no luck.

does anyone know anything more about error 1719 and what it means? windows installer service could not be accessed isn't exactly meaningful. As far as I can see it is registered and enabled. (At least I have registered it in cmd and enabled the service)

84. astebner says:

Hi Mike Bop – Error 1719 typically means that something related to the Windows Installer service is not registered correctly on the PC.  If you've already tried the steps in the knowledge base article and they didn't help, then I'd suggest searching for similar issues on the Windows forums at answers.microsoft.com/…/windows, and if you don't find anything that is helpful, then I'd suggest posting a new question there to see if someone can provide additional troubleshooting ideas for you to try out.

85. Johonny says:

This solution still works!!! Thanks Aaron. I am OSU though.

86. Andy G says:

Thank you KingIdler and everybody else in this blog. I followed these steps and it worked like a charm:

1. Reboot the server

2. Verify that Windows Installer service is set to Automatic and started

3. Open regedit

4. Change reg key HKLMSYSTEMCURRENTCONTROLSETSERVICESMSIServer – ImagePath to %windir%system32msiexec.exe /v

5. Run these commands in order:

a. Run this command: %windir%system32msiexec.exe /unregister

b. Run this command: %windir%syswow64msiexec.exe /unregister

c. Run this command: %windir%system32msiexec.exe /regserver

d. Run this command: %windir%syswow64msiexec.exe /regserver

6. Restart  Windows Installer service. Verify that is set to Automatic and remains started.

7. Install .NET 4.5.2

8. Reboot the server

9. Apply all of the patches

10. Reboot the server

87. sunil2066 says:

please help me to solve window installer dialog box problem.

88. astebner says:

Hi sunil2066 – I need more information about the error that you're seeing in order to try to help out.  What is the exact scenario that you are trying to do when you see a Windows Installer dialog box, and what is the full text of the error message that you are seeing?

89. RAVIndar says: