How to fix .NET Framework 1.1 setup failure on Windows Vista build 5456

Important note: The issue described in this blog post only affects pre-RC1 builds of Windows Vista.  If you are running Windows Vista RTM and have problems installing the .NET Framework, do not try this workaround because it does not apply to the RTM build and will not help.  Please see http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/454956.aspx instead of this blog post if you have problems installing the .NET Framework 1.1 on Windows Vista RTM.....

The .NET Framework setup team recently discovered a compatibility bug that will prevent the .NET Framework 1.1 from installing on the most recent build of Windows Vista that was released to the Windows Vista beta program members (build 5456).

The underlying problem is that one of the type libraries registered by .NET Framework 1.1 setup is attempting to write to a registry sub-key that is incorrectly marked read-only in this build of Windows Vista.  In order to workaround this issue, you will need to change owners and modify permissions on a registry sub-key on your system.

You can perform the following steps before installing the .NET Framework 1.1 to workaround this issue on Windows Vista build 5456:

1. Click on the Start menu, choose All Programs, then Accessories

2. Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator

3. From the command prompt, type regedit

4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then Software\Classes\Interface\{65074F7F-63C0-304E-AF0A-D51741CB4A8D}\TypeLib

5. Right-click on the TypeLib sub-key and choose Permissions

6. Click the Advanced button

7. Click on the Owner tab

8. Select the Administrators group in the Change owner to: list and click Apply to change the owner of this sub-key

9. Click on the Permissions tab, highlight SYSTEM and click the Edit button

10. Check the Full Control check box and click OK to change the permissions on this sub-key for the SYSTEM account

11. Close regedit

After performing the above steps, you should be able to re-run .NET Framework 1.1 setup and install successfully.

<update date="4/4/2007"> Added note at the top of this blog post to try to let users know that this workaround will not help in the final RTM release of Windows Vista.  </update>

1. shahnhogan@hotmail.com says:

Thank you, this has been the missing piece to install Microsoft Small Business Accounting 2006!

Shahn Hogan

2. Anyone who has tried to install .NET Framework 1.1 in Vista build 5456 knows that it just throws an error…

3. Just a Blog says:

Some ideas that might help you in resolving the plethora of issues you will have setting up your Visual…

4. mcleaver says:

This is still an issue with the Vista release… I cannot install an app that runs under .Net 1.1.

I get:

ownload updates for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

——————————————————————————–

This version of Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 is known to have

compatibility issues with the version of Windows you are running. This

program was created by Microsoft Corporation.

Follow this link to get software updates to resolve this problem.

I follow the link and it offers me Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 from August 2004… which doesn’t help.

5. Hi MCleaver – The message that you are describing is not a setup error, it is an application compatibility warning dialog.  You can still install the .NET Framework 1.1 by dismissing this dialog and continuing with setup.  Please let me know if .NET Framework 1.1 setup fails when you try this.

6. mcleaver says:

I went ahead and installed anyway. but the app doesn’t work. It tries to download an update and then just hangs with an error.

RGds

Martin

7. Hi MCleaver – What application are you trying to run?  Is this error coming from the application itself or from the .NET Framework, and what is the exact error you see?  You may need to contact the manufacturer of the application for additional troubleshooting steps.

8. mcleaver says:

It’s a database for the film festival to access and edit on site and remote.

I can manage to log in and then it announced it is downloading a new version… and hangs. I then get an error "Timeout title todo" with as text "Timeout message todo".

I have been tipped (in microsoft.public.dotnet.general) to add a couple of lines to the config:

<startup>

<requiredRuntime version="v2.0.50727" />

</startup>

Rgds

Martin

9. anispringsteen says:

guys i did tweak the registry , only that i have windows vista premium . now i cant even get the framework installer to start , it says there is an error in the windws installer. this happened when i clicked on the system, edit tab and set full control to everything. i dont know how to revert in the system tab. kindlyhelp.

10. Hi Anispringsteen – The issue in this blog post only affects beta builds of Windows Vista, so the workaround won’t help you if you have the final release of Windows Vista on your system.  Can you please zip and send me the file dotnetfx.log from your %temp% directory so I can take a look?  You can send it to Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

11. anispringsteen says:

there is no such file on my system. i dont really know what to do now. encarta 2006 will apparantly never work on my system.

12. Hi Anispringsteen – Can you please use the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/03/29/help-me-help-you-if-you-have-setup-bugs.aspx to gather a verbose log file from this failed installation so I can take a look and see if I can figure anything out?  You can send the logs to Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

13. ioan.peters says:

Just to let you know that I used this fix today on Vista Enterprise (x64) RTM build and it saved my bacon – thanks!

14. Hi Ioan.peters – I’m glad to hear that this fix worked for you.  However, the issue in this blog post is specific to beta versions of Windows Vista, so I’m kind of surprised that this helped at all on Windows Vista RTM.  For other folks reading this blog, please see http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/454956.aspx for links to information about issues that can affect Windows Vista RTM.

Skip to main content