How to manually install the various pieces of Update Rollup 2 for Media Center 2005

I have previously written about a couple of instances where Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 setup can fail because other Windows hotfixes have been installed in such a way that they interfere with the hotfixes that Update Rollup 2 tries to install.  Those cases and steps to workaround them are described here and here.

A few customers who have run into one of these issues have been unable to use the recommended workarounds because the conflicting hotfix fails to uninstall correctly.  This can happen due to uninstall bugs in the other hotfixes or in cases where the other hotfixes were installed with a command line switch that intentionally prevents it from being uninstalled.

If you are unable to install Update Rollup 2 due to a conflicting hotfix that cannot be uninstalled, you can use the following steps to extract the individual pieces of Update Rollup 2 setup and install them individually to workaround this problem.

NOTE: These steps should only be used as a last resort, so please make sure to try the other workarounds that I have documented before trying these steps.

1. Download the setup package for Update Rollup 2 and save it to your local hard drive

2. Click on the Start menu, choose Run and type cmd

3. Change directories to the folder that you saved the Update Rollup 2 setup package to in step 1 by typing cd /d <directory> (you will need to replace <directory> in this command with the actual path that you saved the Update Rollup 2 setup package to in step 1, for example – cd /d c:\downloads)

4. Run WindowsXPMediaCenter2005-KB900325-usa.exe /x:c:\temp to extract the contents to a temporary folder

5. Type cd /d c:\temp\bin to change to the directory you extracted the Update Rollup 2 setup package to in step 4 above

6. Run WindowsMedia10-KB895572-x86.exe /norestart (this may fail due to this issue; if it does, ignore the failure and continue on to the next package)

7. Run WindowsXP-KB891593-x86.exe /norestart (this may fail due to this issue; if it does, ignore the failure and continue on to the next package)

8. Run WindowsXP-KB895961-x86.exe /norestart

9. Run WindowsXP-KB899337-v2-x86.exe /norestart (this may fail due to this issue; if it does, ignore the failure and continue on to the next package)

10. Run WindowsXP-KB899510-x86.exe /norestart

11. Run WindowsXP-KB888795-x86.exe /norestart

12. Run WindowsXP-KB902841-x86.exe /norestart

13. Run KB900325.exe /norestart

14. Run wmfdist95.exe /Q:A /R:N /c:”wmsetsdk.exe /WMFDIST /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore”

15. Reboot your system

1. Guyhel says:

Hi again Aaron,

I tried the preceding procedure, and everything worked fine until last command, which gave me "DRM migrate error…" again.

Guylain

2. astebner says:

Hi Guyhel – I am not sure about the cause of the error that you’re seeing.  You might want to try the workarounds for DRM errors listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/513660.aspx and see if they help in this scenario.

3. Bill Sligar says:

I am just a lowly user with only enough computerese to get into trouble.  I thank you for your blog.  I have had mounds of trouble with the .NET framework and all its iterations.  I have managed to (finally) install and have working all elements of the .NET but now find that there are two remaining problems;  I can not install Rollup 2 (KB900325). And I can not run Microsoft Picture It! 2002 without a C++ runtime error with abnormal termination message.  I would like to proceed with your workaround for the Rollup 2 installation but the instructions are difficult to follow for those who don’t work with command lines often.  Could you please explain for the amateurs?

4. astebner says:

Hi Bill – For the Update Rollup 2 issue, can you please use the instructions listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx to gather and send me log files so I can take a look?

5. I have heard from many customers over the past months who have had issues installing Update Rollup 2…

6. This article serves as a central location for all links to troubleshooting documentation that has been

7. BradMik says:

Hi Ive been trying to install Rollup 2 for sometime but keep getting errors. If I run the exe it tells me I need .Net 1.1 and SP1 to update. I have these installed along with 2.0

So I then tried manually installing the files as mentioned above and everything was going smoothly til I hit KB900325.exe /norestart

It would load then say the setup was cancelled. I then checked the Ident version to find it was set to 2.8 Ive changed it to 3.0 3.1 and 4.0 to only recieve the error message about needing to have MCE 2005 installed on my PC. Im really stumped on this one and am getting a 360 soon, and I have to have Video Streaming! 🙂 Please help!

-Brad

8. BradMik says:

Well I got Rollup 2 installed ended up being an incorrect value in the .Net 1.1 Registry. However after installing it whenever I go to click on TV I get a Code 3 error message saying some of the files to play video or radio are missing or corrupt. Then in event viewer I get the error that ehshell.exe (Media Center) had a Guide Creation Error.

Anything I can do?

9. BradMik says:

Sorry for posting so much but I wanted to update everyone that I fixed the problem or rather System Restore did. I reverted back a couple days and it seemed to fix it, still leaving the rollup patch in tact. Woohoo!

10. astebner says:

For anyone reading this blog in the future, it is likely that the issue Brad ran into is the same as the one I described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/18/482472.aspx.  There is an easier workaround listed in that blog post so you can avoid having to do a system restore if you run into this issue.

11. soulsurvivor says:

I guess this would mean I need to unstall KB925454?  It says it cannot migrate. But I can’t delete the file…it doesn’t even show up on the add/remove programs let alone have a remove button next to it….

0.844: 2006/12/23 20:55:17.171 (local)

0.875: c:73ef14c360ab70822950eefbupdateupdate.exe (version 6.1.22.4)

0.891: Hotfix started with following command line: /norestart

1.719: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11660, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2

1.719: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11692, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2

1.719: —- Old Information In The Registry ——

1.719: Source:C:DOCUME~1ALLUSE~1APPLIC~1SymantecSyKnAppSecc8fff0-c624-4e08-ab6d-dce2fd25419e_cohcol.wlt

1.719: Destination:

1.719: —- New Information In The Registry ——

1.719: Destination:

1.719: SetProductTypes: InfProductBuildType=BuildType.IP

1.719: SetAltOsLoaderPath: No section uses DirId 65701; done.

1.734: DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for c:73ef14c360ab70822950eefbupdateupdate_SP2QFE.inf failed

1.734: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halmacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102

1.734: BuildCabinetManifest: update.url absent

1.734: Starting AnalyzeComponents

1.734: AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks

1.734: No c:windowsINFupdtblk.inf file.

1.734: SetupFindFirstLine in LoadExclusionList Failed with error: 0xe0000102

1.734: SetupFindFirstLine in LoadExclusionList Failed with error: 0xe0000102

1.734: Enumerating Devices of nettrans, GUID {4d36e975-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

1.781: Enumerating Devices of netservice, GUID {4d36e974-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

1.859: OEM file scan used 125 ticks

1.891: AnalyzePhaseOne: used 157 ticks

1.891: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatch analysis disabled; skipping.

1.891: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatching is disabled.

1.891: FindFirstFile c:windows$hf_mig$*.*

1.969: AnalyzeForBranching: g_bMigrate set to TRUE because target file c:windowssystem32xpsp3res.dll has branch sp2gdr which is smaller than branch for sp2qfe

1.969: AnalyzeForBranching used 0 ticks.

2.016: AnalyzePhaseTwo used 47 ticks

2.016: AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks

2.016: AnalyzePhaseFive used 0 ticks

2.563: AnalyzePhaseSix used 547 ticks

8.344: AnalyzeComponents used 6610 ticks

8.344: Downloading 0 files

8.344: bPatchMode = FALSE

8.344: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=0, 6610 ticks

9.922: CreateUninstall = 0,Directory = C:WINDOWS$NtUninstallKB899337$

9.922: Num Ticks for invent : 8188

9.984: VerifySize: Unable to verify size: Source = NULL: c:windowsinfHFX1E.tmp

9.984: Copied file:  c:windowsinfbranches.inf

21.984: Conditional load of section MediaCenter.Reg.Install.Condition succeeded

21.984: Allocation size of drive C: is 4096 bytes, free space = 48103424000 bytes

21.984: Drive C: free 45875MB req: 5MB w/uninstall 0MB

21.984: CabinetBuild complete

21.984: Num Ticks for Cabinet build : 12062

21.984: DynamicStrings section not defined or empty.

21.984: FileInUse:: need to restart already, turn off

22.984: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halmacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102

29.219: System Restore Point set.

29.281: PFE2: Not avoiding Per File Exceptions.

30.109: DoInstallation: Installing assemblies with source root path: c:73ef14c360ab70822950eefb

30.109: Num Ticks for Copying files : 8125

30.109: Num Ticks for Reg update and deleting 0 size files : 0

30.109: DoInstallation: ApplyAdminSystemAclsRecursive for c:windows$hf_mig$KB899337 failed; error=0x00000003

30.109: —- Old Information In The Registry ——

30.109: Source:C:DOCUME~1ALLUSE~1APPLIC~1SymantecSyKnAppSecc8fff0-c624-4e08-ab6d-dce2fd25419e_cohcol.wlt

30.109: Destination:

30.109: —- New Information In The Registry ——

30.109: Destination:

30.125: UpdateSpUpdSvcInf: Source [ProcessesToRunAfterReboot] section is empty; nothing to do.

30.125: MigrateHotfix: Migrating hotfix KB925454

30.125: Migrating QFE KB925454 with command line: update.exe -Z -Q -B:sp2qfe

31.250: Update.exe failed 1603.

31.250: MigrateHotfixes: Migration of KB925454 failed

31.250: DoInstallation: Migration failed

31.328: Failed to migrate dependent packages.

76.203: Message displayed to the user: Failed to migrate dependent packages.

76.203: User Input: OK

76.203: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf0ea

76.203: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.

12. astebner says:

Hi Soulsurvivor – You’re correct, you would need to uninstall KB925454 in order to unblock the installation of KB899337.  If you cannot uninstall KB925454, I suggest using the manual install steps at the top of this blog post and skip step 9 and don’t try to install KB899337.  Hopefully this will allow you to install Update Rollup 2.  I’m sorry for the hassles.

13. Scotty Bones says:

Haveing an issue with Rollup 2 refusing to install// I decided to give the manual install a try and all was good till setep 13 (KB900325.exe)// the hotfix does install, how ever once i reboot the system i receive a windows NT failure dialogue// attempting to run Media Center i receive an err on the medctrro.exe <process id=0xc70 (3184), thread id=0xc74 (3188)>// i have reinstalled the net framework 1.1 sp1 and have also tried a command from your other post <%windir%ehomemedctrro.exe /o /p RunOnce> this command also gives the NT failure dialogue box// any suggestions you may have on a resolution for this issue would be much appriciated// thank you// ahhh the added headache of frying a HDD//

14. astebner says:

Hi Scott – I haven’t heard of a crash like this before.  Could you please zip and send me the following log files so I could take a look and see if I can figure anything out:

1. c:windowsmedctroc.log

2. c:windowsehomemedctrro.exe

3. c:windowsehomemedctrro.exe.config

15. drfran says:

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for all your work in figuring out this problem.  I’ve been working on this for several days now and didn’t get anywhere until I found your blog today.

I tried the manual update procedure and all went well until step 13: run KB900325.exe.

The first time I tried to run it, I got an error message saying that the update rollup 2 couldn’t run until I restarted my computer so the other updates could complete thier install.

I restarted my computer. Then I tried KB900325.exe again.  This time it ran for a while and I thought I had finally made it, but eventually it stopped with the message "Access Denied". Windows Media Format 9.5 Runtime was showing in tje install window when the install stopped.

I don’t know what to do from here.  Do you have any suggestions.

16. astebner says:

Hi Drfran – If you are getting access denied errors, it might help to use the SubInAcl tool to reset the file and registry permissions on your system.  You can find instructions for how to do this at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/solving-setup-errors-by-using-the-subinacl-tool-to-repair-file-and-registry-permissions.aspx.

Hopefully this helps!

17. drfran says:

Hey Aaron-DrFran again.  I tried using the SubInAcl tool following your directions, but alas the KB900325.exe did not install, but still stopped with an "access denied" message–big sigh:(  However, it occurred to me that I might avoid the conflict by trying to load KB900325 in Windows Safe Mode.  So I tried in Safe Mode and Hurray!! the KB900325 loaded without a hitch.  Finally, after days of work, I’ve got it loaded. Couldn’t have done it without your help.  Thanks so much.

18. astebner says:

Hi Drfran – I’m glad to hear that things are working for you now.  Lately, I’ve heard from a couple of other people for whom SubInAcl did not resolve this issue.  For them, I suggested using the MsConfig tool to temporarily disable non-essential services (because sometimes overly aggressive anti-virus or anti-spyware software can interfere with setup processes).  For anyone else reading this blog in the future, you can find instructions for how to use MsConfig at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/11/25/disabling-services-with-msconfig-to-work-around-setup-failures.aspx.

19. JediNizar says:

I don’t know if any1 is still reading this, but I hope some1 can help me.

I did every thing until 13-KB900325.exe there I get the massage "encdec.dll can not be found Retry or Cancel" when I hit retry nothing happen but when I click on cancel it says continue installing without encdec.dll but than again I get the massage to brows my PC for that file.. I even download it from the inet. but nothing, Rollup2 stop the installing and my PC reboot.

20. astebner says:

Hi JediNizar – It sounds like some of the original files that are a part of the Windows XP Media Center 2005 OS are missing from your system for some reason.  I’d suggest trying the following steps to repair the files that are a part of the OS:

1.  Click on the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK

2.  Type this command:  sfc /scannow

3.  Wait for the command to finish

If files are missing, the process will prompt you to insert your original OS installation disc.  If that happens, you will need the disc that came with your computer to repair these OS files.

Hopefully this helps.

21. JediNizar says:

Hi astebner, thank you for ur tip but. It didn’t work I always get the following error massage: "Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.]"

22. JediNizar says:

hi, it’s me again, I did the sfc scan no files were missing every thing was ok. but again when I try to install the Kb900325.exe I get the massage "An error occurred while copying file encdec.dll. Cannot copy file to destination directory. Click retry to retry the operation or click Cancel to"

23. JediNizar says:

And for the last time. I don’t know what I did wrong but. I formatted my HDD, installed win mce again…and wonder… I could install the rollup2 without any problems.

Thx again for this great guide and your help

24. flisk says:

Hi, I just got done reformatting my computer and going through updates, then am unable to install windows media player 11, I tried manually installing it as this blog shows, but get to step 13 (KB900325) and get the error message "Update Rollup 2 Setup canceled." everytime. Does anyone know what I can do?

25. astebner says:

Hi Flisk – Can you please gather the log files from Update Rollup 2 setup and send them to me so I can take a look?  You can find the list of logs and my contact information in the post at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx.

26. fellowsuk says:

I’m now having the same problem as flisk

27. astebner says:

Hi Fellowsuk – Can you please gather the log files from Update Rollup 2 setup and send them to me so I can take a look?  You can find the list of logs and my contact information in the post at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx.

28. fellowsuk says:

forgive me for being really stupid, but how do i get all those logs?

29. astebner says:

Hi Fellowsuk – There are a couple of options.  You can gather them manually and put them into a zip file.  In the list of logs, I use the folder name %windir% – to get to that you can click on the Start menu, choose Run, type %windir% and click OK.  That will open your Windows directory.  You can find the logs from there using Windows Explorer.

Alternatively, you can download and run the script from http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/copymcelogs.zip to automatically find any of the logs that exist on your system, and then create a zip file from there.

To create a zip file, you can select all of the files you want to include, then right-click and choose Send To, then Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Hopefully this helps.

30. fellowsuk says:

ok thank you for your patience. i am sending everything i have got, some of the logs on that list i do not have? hope you can make sence of everything.

31. astebner says:

Hi Fellowsuk – It is OK if you don’t have all of the logs from that list on your system.  I created that list to include all possible logs, but there are some scenarios where systems won’t have every one of those.  I’ll take a look at your email once I receive it.

32. takamia69 says:

Hello Im new here but so far this page has been a great help. I have the whole MCE 2005 but reads 2002 problem so Ive been trying to fix everything and get the Update Rollup 2 installed. I went down the list, everything worked fine till #13 Run KB900325.exe /norestart it starts to run but then closes saying only startup error, so after reading the comments the one by drfran about trying to load it in safe mode but I only got the same problem….so now Im stuck any help?

Thanks

33. astebner says:

Hi Takamia69 – Can you please zip the logs listed in the blog post at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx, upload them to a file server somewhere, then post a link to the logs back here so I can take a look?

Also, in the zip file, can you please include a screenshot of the exact error you see on your system when trying to run kb900325.exe on your system?