2 new update rollups available for Media Center 2005

We have released a couple of new update rollup packages to fix some issues that have been seen with Update Rollup 2 for Media Center 2005.  They are the following:

1.  January 2006 Update Rollup for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (KB912067)

This package replaces the previous update for Media Center 2005 (KB908250).  It will only be offered if you have Update Rollup 2 for Media Center 2005 installed.  It contains all of the fixes released in previous hotfix packages, and fixes some additional issues:

• A playback initialization error occurs on resume when you suspend or hibernate a computer that is playing a DVD
  • Teletext subtitles disappear after you use pause, rewind, fast forward or play controls
  • Electronic Program Guide shows scrambled DVB-T channels
  • DVB-T services are not found
  • Support for additional optical media drives for DVD burning
  • Interoperability with some third-party TV software

This package is available on Windows Update as a recommended update as of January 24, 2006.

2.  Update Rollup 2 for eHome Infrared Receiver for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (KB912024)

This package replaces the previous update for eHome Infrared Receivers (KB888795).  It will only be offered if you have Update Rollup 2 for Media Center 2005 installed.  It contains all of the fixes released in previous hotfix packages, and fixes some additional issues related to installation of updated driver files while the device is already connected to the computer.  You can read more details about the bug fixes in this package in this knowledge base article.

This package will be available on Windows Update as a recommended update sometime in February 2006.

<update date="1/24/2006"> Added information about the availability of these packages on Windows Update </update>

1. kennyp14@yahoo.com says:

Aaron, Please help! I am not sure where to turn. Myself, and others in the Chicago area can no longer tune in the local FOX affilates digital HD channel in MCE. This has been confirmed by several other people in the area. In addition, we ARE able to get the channel using another means (for example, using other HD tuner software on the pc in question). Signal strength is strong. Why is MCE apparently different from all other receivers of digital channels? How can we fix this!!???? Here is thread on it at the green button:

2. Matthew Nitti says:

No update yet for the "Digital Audio Service" problem I see. That’s too bad, my new shuttle M1000 MCE PC came with 2005 Rollup 2 pre-installed, and I’ve been having the problem quite often. I’ve been watching everything through Media Player 10 waiting for the fix (Switching to the Nvidia decoder made no difference, have yet to switch tuner cards).

Guess I’ll have to keep waiting. Oh well…

3. Matthew: did you update your tv tuner drivers (not from the computer manufacturer, but straight from the tv tuner manufacturer)? Which tv tuner do you have?

4. Hi Kennyp14 – as I was trying to dig and find more information about this channel that you and others have been having trouble with, I heard from a couple of other folks that this issue appears to be fixed for them. Can you confirm that it is working for you now? It appears that this Fox station was broadcasting on the wrong frequency and corrected it themselves.

5. Mattthew Nitti says:

Jason,

My computer came with two AverMedia Grander MPEG TV (M187) PCI cards. When I check the manufacture site (AverMedia), I can’t find anything to download even current drivers.

I’ve been thinking about switching to Hauppage WinTV500 cards, when I can, but I’m concerned that I will face the same issue there.

6. Ben A. says:

Would this new update have anything to do with my machine getting pushed an install of KB910393 last night? Normally I wouldn’t mind, except this morning after the automatic reboot I was prompted to do the out of box setup for Media Player again, and Windows Explorer lost all of the media-specific file columns – terribly irritating because I now can’t sort by (or even view!) Title or Episode Name when working with recorded TV.

Any clue how to get the columns back after an install of KB910393? It’s certainly conceivable that’s not the problem, but Event Viewer shows that’s the only thing that was installed last night…

7. Peter WIlson says:

8. Hi Peter – I am sorry that this issue is not yet fixed on your system. I have passed this information on to our team so they can try to look at this further.

9. Hi Peter – I found out that there is an additional sleep/resume issue that we are still working on a fix for. This particular issue will occur if you use your tuner at all prior to putting the machine to sleep, and it can be worked around by disabling Media Center sounds in the Media Center settings.

Hope this helps!

10. Douglas Lai says:

I also have 2 avermedia m187 cards and have the blue digital audio servce screen whenI play back any ideas

11. thomas says:

ok so KB912067 caused my media center not to recognize my 2 media extenders. when i uninstalled this update, the extenders were restored. i think you guys need to test kb912067 a bit more before releasing it to the public. thomas

12. Peter Wilson says:

Aaron – thank you for following up with your team and for your reply…..

I tried turning off sound and also starting media centre and putting into sleep without using tuners. Still get the same problem that m/c and media centre wake up but s-video does not.

13. Hi Douglas – There are some items that I have previously posted about the Digital Audio Service screen that might help you.  You can find them at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/12/02/499643.aspx and http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/11/30/498779.aspx

Hi Thomas – I have not heard of this issue before.  I am asking our extender team if they have any ideas.  You may also want to check out the Xbox 360 forums at http://forums.xbox.com/regional.aspx?locale=en-US

Hi Peter – Do standby/resume work correctly on this system outside of Media Center?  Unfortunately, there are a lot of possible causes of this kind of issue and many of them are hardware-specific.

14. THor Smit says:

My MCE system was stable before upgading to KB912067. In fact I had been running for months without a single issue. Ths upgrade broke the Nvidia 1.02.185 DVD codec and mce now complains that all necessary video files are not present. It also says to stop media center or reboot the PC.

I switched to a power dvd codec and MCE works fine. No issues at all. So is there something in KB912067 that breaks the Nvidia 1.02.185 codec?

Like the previous poster I really wish that these patches were regression tested a little better.

My rig is intel 3.0 mhz

ati x1300

512 meg ram

av710 soundcard

intel btx motherboard

15. Hi Thomas – Are you using any firewall software on your system?  The new update rollup package contains an updated version of ehshell.exe, and some firewall manufacturers contain exceptions for ehshell.exe, but they base that exception on specific versions of ehshell.exe.  Once we release new versions it takes a bit of time to make sure that the firewall manufacturers include an exception for the new version of ehshell.exe.

Hi Thor – We have not yet heard of any issues with the new nVidia decoder and this rollup.  I will ask around on our team and see if there have been any issues reported that I haven’t heard of yet.  I’m sorry for the inconvenience here.

16. Jessica Zahn says:

From Peter Wilson:

"Installed the January update rollup but still have the problem that the system will not wake up properly from S3. M/c powers up and drives spin but no video. Reading the forums this seems a very common problem. The jan r/up text seemed to say it was fixed. "

The Jan. rollup fixed a specific timing issue with a particular machine; it’s likely that your machine is different and therefore running into something similar. Can you post or send to jzahn at microsoft.com your machine, processor speed, how much RAM, which video card, and which tuner card(s)?

17. Peter Wilson says:

Hi Jessica – thanks for your post. Board is aopen i915GMm-HFS with integrated Intel Gma video; processor is Pentium M 750 1.86GHz; 1.5Gb Storage; Tuners are Black Gold DVB-T MCE with certified drivers.

Apart from this problem MCE works brilliantly.

18. Hi Douglas – the Digital Audio Service blue overlay on systems with AVerMedia tuners is an issue we recently discovered and it appears to be a driver issue with this particular family of tuners.  Please check out http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/02/06/526186.aspx for additional info.

19. kennyp14@yahoo.com says:

Sorry it took me so long to respond.  The FOX problem in chicago did fix itself after a couple days.  It is strange that, of the several ways I have to tune in that digital station, only the MCE software had the problem.  Thanks for responding!!

20. Jessica Zahn says:

Peter – Did an OEM ship this machine, or was it home-built?

21. Peter Wilson says:

Jessica – home built.

22. Ken P says:

Guide wierdness, MCE 2005 update 2 – Sometimes, even if an series is scheduled on a digital channel, and program shows in the list of upcoming recordings, it does not show the red dot(s) in the guide.  Oddly, the SD version of the show, on the SD channel shows that it is going to record, even though I never selected to record the SD series.  The series is configured to ONLY record the digital channel.  Anyone have any ideas?

23. Jordan says:

Hey, maybe you guys can help me. My guide won’t update anymore. It will go through the motions of downloading but it never actually downloads anything.

24. Hi Jordan – There are several suggestions for working around guide download problems in the Update Rollup 2 troubleshooting guide at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/487537.aspx.  You might want to try those and see if any of them help you.

25. Lushon says:

I’d like to report a problem with update KB912067.  Upon installation, Media Center opens but freezes as soon as I select "My TV".  My new Sony VAIO system with a Giga Pocket MPEG2 Realtime Endoder board with TV Tuner and an ATI Mobility Radeon X700 graphics card DID accept another update (KB910393) without any problems, after which I rebooted.  It was listed under windows update as a high priority update.  But now I’m stuck after updating KB912067 and rebooting.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

26. Todd says:

I need HELP!I have been fustrated for 2 weeks over this problem.

Problem #1: When I load Media Center connect from the xbox/pcsetup webpage, so my pc can extend video to my xbow 360, Media center Connect doesn’t prompt me to type in the xbox code so I can trouble shoot the network connect. It skips to the end of the setup process and says congiguration complete. I can connect my xbox to my pc through my wireless network and look at pic and listen to music from my pc, but I can’t get the Media Center to connect, therefor I can not watch tv from my pc over my xbox 360.  I have spent 2 weeks loading all the correct software updates, and I have have reformmated twice.

Problem #2: I tried to install the new media player 11, but I keep getting stopped, because I get a propt saying that I need MCE 2005 loaded on my computer to contiue. I have windows media center 2005.

My software version is 5.1.2700.2180

i am running a Gateway 827 AMD 64

Please someonme help.

27. Hi Todd – For the Windows Media Player 11 issue, can you please try the workaround that I suggested at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/19/602282.aspx and see if that helps in your system?

I am not sure what to suggest for the Xbox 360 issue.  Just to confirm, have you installed the Xbox 360 PC setup package from http://www.xbox.com/pcsetup already?

28. flbrian says:

I need decoder , encoder and driver for windows media center 2003 emuze I believe

29. Hi Fibrian – You should be able to visit the Emuzed website to download drivers for their hardware.

Windows XP Media Center Edition does not have a built-in decoder/encoder (although Windows Vista Media Center does).  You will need to purchase/download a 3rd party software application for this.  Some of the big vendors offer free trial versions (such as ATI and nVidia).  There are also shared source codecs that can be downloaded for free.

Hopefully this helps.