Possible cause of Media Center guide download error code 14 and 33

I have heard from a few folks over the past weeks who started running into guide download errors on systems that they had made no recent changes to.  In one case, the customer rebuilt the machine from scratch only to hit the same error on a brand new system.  I found out that there have been some server-side certificate issues in the past month or so that can result in guide download failures with error code 14 or 33 being reported in the application event log.  These issues should be corrected now, so if you have been unable to download guide data with error code 14 or 33, please try to launch Media Center and download guide data again and hopefully this issue will be cleared up.

If you are still running into issues, please refer to the Guide Download Errors section of my Update Rollup 2 Troubleshooting Guide for some additional suggested workarounds.

1. Jason Tsang says:

Wow, I’m surprised this one has reared its ugly head again. I remember the first two years after MCE was released, there was a weekend in April that the EPG’s cert would be expired. Apparently, that was suppose to be fixed.

Does this apply to the US/Canada EPG servers, or is it an issue more with the overseas EPG servers?

2. Hi Jason – I’m not sure which server(s) this issue applied to. The folks I heard from were in the US/Canada, but I heard from only 3 or 4 people, so that isn’t too big of a sample size 🙂

We did run into it ourselves in our test labs for some of our Vista test builds, but at the time didn’t realize it was also affecting the released versions of Media Center (we thought it was a certificate handling issue in those builds of Vista).

And again, I want to stress that this issue is supposed to be fixed on the server side, so hopefully nobody is currently hitting this issue.

3. Khursheed Siddiqui says:

I started to get these error all of sudden. After couple of days of troubleshooting I found out that my system date was changed from today to Jan 16 2000. Wired i do not remeber messing with that upon fixing that resolved the issue.

4. MamboWarrior says:

Hi. Problem started a week ago aswell on a fresh installed system. Can’t seem to get the workaround going. Any other idea’s?

info@j-roon.nl

5. Jussi says:

I’ve had this problem now for bit over a week, tried pretty much all of the troubleshooting tips (haven’t yet looked at the "Update Rollup 2 Troubleshooting Guide" you mention) but nothing seems to make any difference. As you wrote, I made no changes to my system and suddenly it stopped updating EPG. Live in Finland, and I’ve understood correctly, the EPG listings are downloaded from some Swedish server…(I might be completely wronge here, though)

6. Hi Jussi – if you haven’t yet, please try the guide download troubleshooting steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/11/01/487997.aspx. I also just heard from another customer who resolved the error code 14 and 33 by setting their system clock from 2005 to 2006, so that may help here as well. Guide download requires that your system clock be correctly synchronized.

7. Jussi says:

In my case the "it just broke without me doing anything" wasn’t necessarily the case. I’m not 100% sure if installing BladeRunner Pro actually broke Guide download in my case since I tried installing it after I begun having problems with channels only showing "No TV Signal".

Anyway, what BladeRunner Pro did was that it modified the pointer URL where MCE downloads the guide. The registry key is located at: HKLPSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionMedia CenterServiceEPG. There you have discSvc which is in my case https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=41105&clcid=0x409 (I guess clcid is related to my location?). After installing and _uninstalling_ bladerunner pro, that url remained something related to bladerunner.

What I did, was that I deleted that registry key (remember to backup it) and run the EPG setup procedure inside MCE again and it recreated the registry key. After that I’ve had no 14/33 errors.

8. modist says:

I Had the exact sam situation as jussi and …..

I gave up on Bladerunner Pro and after uninstalling I got the dreaded code 14.

Removing the key did the job 🙂

Kind regards

Morten

9. edebont says:

Also thanks from me Jussi 😉

Had exactly the same problem !

10. Hi Jussi, Modist and Edebont – Thank you for sharing your experience with this issue.  I have posted this information as a new blog post at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/03/10/549199.aspx to help improve discoverability of this issue for others who might run into it in the future….

11. Scopenoob says:

Hey I found a fix to my problem, my date and time was wrong for some reason. Hope this helps

12. Mehul Trivedi says:

My EPG does not seem to be able to update for some reason. My system clock is correct, and the internet connection is working (i tested it thru the MCE, and it properly finds the correct cable service when I give it my zip code.) The only change made was that I took my laptop on travel for a few weeks, and changed the time zone (I have placed it back in the correct one) Everytime i try to update the guide (automatically or manually) it gives me a guide error (LAN connection not working) Any ideas?

13. Hi Mehul – Can you please try the various suggestions posted in the "Guide download errors" section of the article at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/487537.aspx.  Hopefully one of those suggestions will help…

14. Mehul says:

Unfortunately none of the suggestions worked. Also, is there an issue with my MCE being 2003?

15. Mehul says:

Unfortunately none of the suggestions worked. Is there a problem with my having MCE 2003?

16. Hi Mehul – We did not release a version of Media Center in 2003.  We released versions 2002, 2004 and 2005.  I am not sure what else to suggest for your scenario.  Since you mentioned that this change started happening after changing time zone settings, you may want to double-check that you have the current time zone chosen, that you have the correct daylight savings time settings (since the switchover just happened in several locales), and also that you have synchronized your system clock to the internet time (using steps similar to the ones at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/04/07/571274.aspx).  I’m sorry I’m not able to be more helpful here.

17. Mehul says:

Good catch on that, it is in fact MCE 2004. Do you know of any way I could manually update the EPG, perhaps access the server myself and download the appropriate files?

18. Mehul says:

I think i may have run into a related problem. For some reason, even though I have changed my time zone to Pacific Time, the Media Center recordings are working on Eastern Time (which I had set when i was in NY two weeks ago) E.g., i have a program scheduled to record at 8pm pacific, and the guide knows its at 8 pm, but it is trying to record it now, at 5pm pacific. any ideas how to set the guide straight? The media center clock shows the correct time (pacific)

19. Hi Mehul – Unfortunately there is not a way to manually download the EPG data.  It has to be done through Media Center.  If you have another Media Center system, you can transfer the guide data from there by using the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/02/22/537642.aspx.

Regarding your other question – if your cable provider is located on the East coast but you have your time zone set to the West coast, the shows will be adjusted for the time they would appear if you were still on the East coast.  If you have changed your time zone and have a new West coast cable provider, you will need to rerun TV setup and enter a new cable provider and get updated guide listings for your new location.

20. Jason says:

In my case I was receiving error 33 when downloading the guide.  I noticed that the BIOS time/date was out of whack (set to 1999).  Correcting the time/date solved the issue.

21. kerol says:

i read all the ideas posted here.

i did manage solve error 33. the case for me was, i changed the computer name recently. went through the registry key HKLPSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionMedia CenterServiceEPG , i noticed that the discSvc showed path with my old computer name.

i believed that the bladerunner pro did not update the path.

i changed back my computer name and no more error 33.

the other way is suggested by jussi. delete the reg key. run the setup again. this will create new reg key.

the bladerunner pro just wouldnt update the reg key.

thought this might help. thanks to jussi.

22. chaltan says:

Check system shares \your_pc_nameadmin$

Not working? Check the System log in Event Viewer.

If System log shows event 2011 whenever you try to download the guide, try increasing "IRPStackSize". I created a key and used the value 15 (hex) and my MCE guide is now working!

Took me 2 weeks to figure this out! Hope this helps 😉

23. Star says:

Khursheed!  You saved my sanity!  After hours of troubleshooting, I saw your post regarding the wrong date!  Thank you!

Skip to main content