Possible workaround if .NET Framework setup hangs while registering System.EnterpriseServices.dll

We have run into a few cases where customers have been trying to install the .NET Framework 2.0 and have seen setup hang or fail while trying to register System.EnterpriseServices.dll.  I have heard from a couple of customers who ran into this particular issue and found a workaround that allowed them to successfully install, so I wanted to post the workaround here to make it easier for others to find.  The customers I have heard from found this workaround useful for the .NET Framework 2.0, but the same workaround may also be useful for installation failures in the .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1.

The command that registers System.EnterpriseServices.dll is implemented as a custom action that runs the command regsvcs.exe /bootstrapi.  This command can fail or hang indefinitely if the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) service is in a broken state on the system.  If you see .NET Framework setup (1.0, 1.1 or 2.0) fail or hang during registration of System.EnterpriseServices.dll, the following steps may be useful to resolve this issue:

1. Click on the Start menu, choose Run and type services.msc

2. Locate the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service, right-click on it and choose Properties

3. In the Startup type drop-down, select Disabled

4. If the service status is currently listed as running, click the button to stop the service

5. Close the Services control panel and try to install the .NET Framework again

Note that I have written about other possible causes of this type of installation failure in the following blog posts, and if the above workaround does not succeed, these additional articles may be helpful:

1. PaulD says:

hi, good blog. found it thru googling

i want you to know my workaround.

1. Uninstall 1.1 from add/remove programs

2. Extract NDP1.1-KB886904-X86.exe /Xp:c:M886904.msp

3. install framework 1.1

4. install SP1 tru running M886904.msp

5. reboot

2. RichardB. says:

I had this exact problem with .Net framework 1.1.

I’m no computer whizzkik and I found your instructions simple and easy to follow.

It seems to have done the trick, thanks very much.

3. Rico says:

Hi, i also found it by google.

I used your info and it was easy to use, but for me it did not work. i tried it on Framework 1.1 the english version, maybe some other workaround for me:(

4. Hi Rico – for the .NET Framework 1.1, there are a lot of possible causes of this error. Have you tried the suggestions in the links at the end of this blog post to see if any of them help here as well?

5. Gordon says:

Hi Aaron,

i have the same problem. Tried everything you described here but nothing works. The installation fails and does a rollback on registering the System.EnterpriseServices.dll

I used your uninstaller, stoped DTC, disabled the DPE and changed my localization to EN and DE – nothing helps. Have you or anyone else any idea to sove this problem?

btw many thanks for the workarounds you figured out.

6. Paul B says:

Hi,

I have the same situatin as Gordon. I have tried all the workarounds this link suggests including editing the portion of the .ini for Data Execution Protection, ensuring the language is set, and disabling DTC.

The following processes are hanging: RegSvcs, Ngen, and several forked processes of msiexec. RegSvcs and Ngen are chewing up 40% to 50% of the CPU time.

It seems Ngen is sensitive to the security settings at compile time? Here is a link to what services Ngen provides (whic I am sure you knew):

Method of original installation: I use ntrack from ntrack.com. Build 2042 (beta) packages .NET 2.0. I made sure I did not install any previous versions of .NET via Microsoft Updates. I installed ntrack… it forces you to install .NET 2.0 first (version 2.0.50727). .NET gets to System.EnterpriseServices.dll and hangs. RegSvcs and NGen are chewing up CPU cycles. I believe tow to three msiexec processes are forked at that time. The only way out is to kill the processes in Task Manager. Then if you try to uninstall or repaid via Add/remove Programs I have had two things happen (1) the ununstaller will complain that it needs to close itself before it can start (in essence) or (2) the repair or uninstall fails at the same point. I’ve tried to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility… hangs at same place. I’ve tried to install the Beta version of .NET 2.0 so I could get a complete install then remove it… no luck, although I can’t remember what happened. Anythign else you might need to help?

Paul

7. Rico says:

Yes i did all the things even the debugging thing. Nothing work, but the funny thing is that if i install 2.0 it works. I need 1.1 for the program i want to run. So why does 2.0 can install and 1.0 or 1.1 (the one i need) not. Is it possible to uninstall XP-SP2 and will it work then?

Oh this is what the eventlog said:

0000: 3242437b 44453746 44392d44 342d4631

0010: 2d314333 43463039 3546342d 45414532

0020: 41323731 7d31

8. Hi Rico – There are some bugs in setup for the .NET Framework that have been fixed in 2.0, so it does not necessarily surprise me that this scenario works for the .NET Framework 2.0 but does not for 1.1. I’m sorry for the problems you’re encountering. Can you please contact me at aaronste@microsoft.com so I can gather some additional information from you and figure out the best next steps here?

9. Paul B says:

Success!!! 🙂

Okay, here is what I did.

1. Complete re-install of Windows XP with SP1 including reformatting the partition I was using.

2. Installed only the native stuff I needed to do the job: Intel .INF patch, NIC card driver, and SATA drive update (same as I did before, but in my previous install I also installed extra stuff off my Intel CD like RealPlayer, etc).

3. Did not install the drivers for my video card or sound card.

4. Config’d minor stuff like the paging file size, Windows look-n-feel, etc. Turned Automatic Updates off.

5. Ran the licensing wizard from Windows. Activated my license.

6. Ran Windows Update and installed the ActiveX component needed, ie, BITS, Windows Installer 3.1, et cetera. Rebooted.

7. Ran Windows Update. Validated Windows. Installed all (36+ ?; don’t remember qty) critical updates and 0 optional components. Told Windows NOT to tell me to install .NET 1.1 so I can’t make that mistake in the future. Rebooted. [B] Note: this step is different than my previous install. I made probably a bad assumption that SP2 would roll-up all critical updates post SP1… I believe this to be a false assumption now, but who knows! The SP2 documentation says only that a Windows XP install is required, nothing about prior critical updates, etc. In retrospect, this new way was the smart way to go.[/B]

8. Installed Windows SP2 from over Internet rather than off stored file I had. Why? Just in case there was any corruption in the file. Rebooted.

9. Ran Windows Update. Installed 5 critical updates. Rebooted.

10. Ran ntrack Build 2042. It installed .NET 2.0 build 2.0.50727 (right version?). This time the install trudged right on through…. no hang at System.EnterpriseServices.dll.

11. Continuing on with ntrack installed the Build 2042 without problems.

Now onto installing creating a restore Pint, installing spwyare, AV, tweaking performance, installing a myriad of other applications, installing drivers for my video and sound card, et cetera.

I’m so happy I could spit!!! I was getting ready to spit out $500 for another sound recording software and all my files where in ntrack.

Paul

10. Gordon says:

Hi Folkz,

good news… .NET Framework is installed successful on my PC.

What i have done:

1. Leave my PC @ Work on Friday 19:45

2. Came Back on Monday

3. try to register System.EnterpriseServices.dll manual via regasm – failed due to the not installed Framework

4. used the FrameworkUninstaller from Aaron the second time

5. restart my system

6 install the Framework

In addition to this i have done following settings:

– deactivated DTS

– deactivated DEP

I am wondering about this, because all these steps i have done on Friday too but with no success. After running the uninstaller the second time, everything went ok.

11. edoardo says:

Hi Aaron,

I’m using Windows 2000 Prof. SP4 and still can not install .NET Framework (DOTNETFX) 2.0. My 1.1 version used to work fine. I have already perform a manual clean up of 2.0 version according to your blog and also uninstall 1.1 completely. After that I install 2.0 version only and still hangs on registering System.EnterpriseServices.dll.

I maked sure I disabled the DTC and unregister services related to .NET (mscorsvw.exe) and ASP.NET (aspnet_state.exe) using delsrv.exe before re-install v2.0. Still no luck. I notice if I used netsvc.exe I can still some services related to .NET, which I can’t see from GUI version (services.msc), but I can’t unregister them using delsrv.exe.

As desperate action, I end the regsvcs process when it hangs, the installation continues but then it keeps hanging on other points with mscorsvw consuming 99% of my CPU Load. Keep ending mscorsvw processes finally bring me to the end of installation. It said successfull, but I don’t think it was the case. My framework installation log shows some failures.

Also I can’t run my application that I wanted to run, it just hangs.

Please help me.

Thank you very much in advance.

//Edo

12. Hoyt says:

I used Task Manager to lower the priority of the regsvcs.exe process (which was pegged at 99%).  To do this, run Task Manager, find the process in the Processes tab, right click and choose "Set Priority" and "Below Normal".  After that, everything sped along.

13. HP User says:

I hand the issue with registering System.EnterpriseServices.dll trying to install .NET 2.0

Here is what worked for me:

An application I installed Tenebril GhostSurf 2006 Platinum basically broke 2.0.  I thought it was the spyware feature piece so I disabled that and still no go.  I uninstalled the application and then .NET 2.0 installed fine.  I tested a couple of .NET 2.0 apps and all was well. I reinstalled GhostSurf and .NET 2.0 broke again.  I called the Vendor to let them know.  They downgraded me to 2005 which does not break .NET 2.0 🙂 Life is good again since I was only really using the proxy feature it was no real loss for me.  Anyway, maybe this will help someone else out.

14. Norman Diamond says:

mscorsvw.exe is still the biggest user of CPU time in my installation of the 32-bit checked build of Windows Vista beta 1.  It’s rather obvious that Vista includes .Net 2 and that mscorsvw.exe relates to ngen, but I don’t know what it’s working on or how to contend with it.

Some time ago I pressed Shift+F10 to get a command prompt, started taskmgr.exe and mmc.exe, and have been watching the event logs and CPU usage.

Today I added the Services snap-in and it is working along with the Event Viewer snap-in.  I stopped the Distributed Transaction Coordinator (it had been running) and changed its property to disabled (it had been set to manual, but it had been started non-manually).

In Task Manager, I can see that the number of executing processes went down by 1.  But there is no other visible change.  mscorsvw.exe is still the biggest user of CPU time.

Actually I don’t know if you count this as a hang or not, and I sure don’t really know if System.EnterpriseServices.dll is involved or not.  mscorsvw.exe sure isn’t deadlocked, it’s the biggest user of both CPU time and memory.

For the first four months mscorsvw.exe averaged around 97% of the CPU, fluctuating between 90% and 99%.  For the next one and a fraction months, paging has become an issue, so mscorsvw.exe gets around 50% of the CPU, fluctuating between 1% and 99%.  I even put the Task Manager on the slowest refresh rate so that I can see what’s happening while only wasting 1% of the CPU.  Also most days I don’t even refresh the event viewer any more.

A few days ago I read a statement by Dr. Grimes that Vista beta 1 has only 10 managed assemblies.  So mscorsvw.exe has taken approximately five months of CPU time so far with no end in sight, doing ngening of some portion of just 10 assemblies!?

Do you know how to find the actual current status of this installation and see if there might be some way to get installation to complete before my MSDN subscription runs out?

15. Norman Diamond says:

On a completely different machine, Windows Vista beta 1 checked build x64 completed installation but has around 15 minidumps and a bunch of other error reports that Microsoft says should be reported to Microsoft.  Vista beta 1 includes instructions on how to use a beta bug reporting tool.

The beta bug reporting tool’s installer refuses to install itself until .Net Framework 2 is installed.

.Net Framework 2’s installer refuses to install itself because of bugs in itself and/or bugs in Vista.

.Net Framework 2’s installer starts its rollback after an error involving System.EnterpriseServices.dll.

In this Vista installation, Distributed Transaction Coordinator was not started, but its start setting was Manual, which as we know doesn’t always mean Manual.  So I set it to disabled.  It didn’t make any difference.

Japanese isn’t a new language for Microsoft products, so it’s not like the list of new languages that Mr. Stebner referred to, but customers of Microsoft’s Japanese products recognize it as a language that Microsoft doesn’t often test.  So I went into Control Panel – Regional Options and changed the default locale options from Japanese to English.  It didn’t make any difference.

So there are around 20 bug reports, which Microsoft pretends to want to be notified about instead of requiring would-be bug submitters to pay an up-front support fee before reporting them.  But there is no way to report them because the bug report tools have bugs that prevent themselves from being installed.

16. Hi Norman – Windows Vista includes the .NET Framework 2.0, so you should not have to install it on Vista.  The installer refuses to let you run it because the version of the .NET Framework is already a part of the OS on Vista.

If you are running into issues with the NGEN service (mscorsvw.exe), you can go to the Services control panel and set the .NET Framework runtime optimization service to startup type "manual" or "disabled"

It sounds like you’re running into a bug in the setup package for the bug reporting tool.  I will try to ask around and see if I can find out any information about it when I’m back in the office tomorrow.

I’m very sorry for the hassles you’ve run into.

17. Norman Diamond says:

This gets curiouser and curiouser.  The beta bug submission tool refused to install on Vista beta 1 x64 checked build because it said that the .Net Framework 2.0 wasn’t installed.  The .Net Framework 2.0 installer aborted and rolled back when it reached System.EnterpriseServices.dll — it started, reached that point, and rolled back without displaying any opinion that it shouldn’t have started due to .Net Framework 2.0 already being included in the installed Vista beta 1.

Meanwhile, even if the number of bugs in the bug submission tool and .Net Framework 2.0 (and Vista beta 1 itself) is even larger than I thought, the bug submission tool still can’t be installed and still doesn’t allow submission of these bugs because of these bugs.

The good news is that the rollback really rolled back, every time.  On that machine Vista is installed in partition E, so the .Net Framework 2 installer put some Dr. Watson stuff on partition F.  Rolling back did delete the Dr. Watson stuff that didn’t belong on F.  It’s just a matter of luck though that the .Net Framework 2 installer didn’t choose partition D for the Dr. Watson stuff and corrupt the XP x64 installation that I have on D.

Back to the 32-bit version which is still undergoing installation, you say that I can set the .Net Runtime Optimization service to "manual" or "disabled".  I’m trying "disabled" because we’ve already seen that "manual" allows unwanted automatic starting.  Also I stopped the instance which has been running since Sept. 24 or 25, 2005.  (I started installation on Sept. 24 but am not sure if mscorsvw.exe started the first day or the second day.)

Windows is attempting to stop the following service on Local Computer…

.NET Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50215_X86

Could not stop the .NET Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50215_X86 on Local Computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The services applet will not let me try a second time to kill the service.  The relevant menu entries are grayed out.  The service’s status is "Stopping".

In Task Manager, "End process" killed it.

This does not look good.  CPU time has dropped pretty close to zero, paging has stopped (the commit charge dropped by 600MB), and it doesn’t look like the install is going to make any further progress without NGEN.

By the way the install is far enough along so that Regedit is working, along with the event viewer and task manager and Spider solitaire.  In accordance with one of your other postings, around 2 days ago I added a key, two value names (a DWORD and a String) and set their values in order to encourage logging.  During the install, the temp directory is F:WindowsTemp.  But there still aren’t any log files.

18. Norman Diamond says:

Last night after posting, on the 32-bit version that is still undergoing installation, I reenabled the .NET Runtime Optimization Service.  The memory commit charge jumped to about 1.2GB and then dropped back to about 700MB, so the paging file is still moderately occupied.  The frequency of paging operations is moderate but less than during the past month.  It looks like mscorsvw.exe averaged around 80% of the CPU for the past day.

So this might be good news, it looks like mscorsvw.exe found some intermediate point that it could resume from.  But I still don’t see any way to guess how far along it is, or whether Vista beta 1 checked build 32-bit might finish installing this year.  There’s still no log file.

19. Hi Norman – I am not sure how to explain the issue you are seeing.  I do know that Vista beta 1 is a very old build and it still contained a beta version of the .NET Framework 2.0.  So it will likely help if you are able to download and install a more recent build of Vista that contains the final released version of the .NET Framework 2.0.  The December 2005 and February 2006 CTP builds of Vista both have the final release version of the .NET Framework 2.0 in them.

20. Norman Diamond says:

I cannot find a checked build of Vista newer than beta 1.

By the way I can’t find a checked build of Windows Server 2003 R2 even though that’s a released product.  This, together with some statements I’ve seen on Microsoft’s site, seem to suggest that Microsoft no longer appreciates the purpose of checked builds.  I hope that isn’t really true.  For some kinds of programming (e.g. drivers), for developers who wish to minimize the number of bugs that we produce in our own code, checked builds are still helpful.

On the 64-bit build, I already activated the installation even though I couldn’t report bugs in it.  Vista warned that it would disable itself unless I activated it immediately.  Seems like a waste that I won’t be able to report bugs, though it will still provide a tentative environment to test some of my own code.

Of course the 32-bit build might be a bigger waste, if it never finishes installing after letting the installer run nearly 6 months so far.  Though it did help heat my living room this past winter (even though I posted a joke about it, it’s true).

21. Norman Diamond says:

In the 32-bit version that was undergoing installation, about a week after reenabling the .Net Runtime Optimization Service and watching mscorsvw.exe go back to 95% of the CPU, several hundred events were recorded in the system log saying that HHCTRL was successfully registered.  These looked like the same events that were recorded in October 2005, after installation had been under way for one month.  So now I no longer think that mscorsvw.exe had recorded some information about what point it had reached and where to resume from.  I think it started over from scratch.  I wasn’t in the mood to wait another five months just to see if it reaches the point where it was a week ago, with still no prediction of how many years it will take to install.

So finally I killed the installation of Vista beta 1 checked build 32-bit.  I rebooted it to Windows 2000.  Then I learned how much even more foolish I had been to try this install.

You know that the installer puts the video screen in VGA mode, 640×480?  So during those five and a half months, I didn’t see the effect of what happened from having the backlight on for most of that time, for more than four months.  Here I had faithfully obeyed the instructions "Do not restart your computer during this time", and I didn’t even close the lid for most of that time because I didn’t know if the BIOS or the installer might try to suspend the installer.  Well, during that time parts of the backlight burnt out.  When Windows 2000 booted and used the whole screen, the burnt out parts are highly visible.

Of course a backlight can burn out any time, but I had never kept one on for more than two days at a time before and I had never had one burn out before.  Even in the days of workstations and CRT terminals, when computers were left on continuously, I used to turn off the CRTs at night.

So this is my reward for trying to help test Vista (32-bit) and obeying its instructions.

Regarding the 64-bit version which did install in two days on a different computer, I think I’ve figured out a way to get its bug reports submitted, though of course I haven’t figured out any way to know if Microsoft will ever read them.

22. Hi Norman – I’m very sorry for the pain that this setup experience has caused.  One thing I can assure you of is that your bug reports will be read and acted upon when you submit them using the submission tool.  That tool generates bugs in one of our internal bug databases, and the feature teams treat bugs coming from beta customers with an even higher priority than bugs reported by Microsoft test teams (at least, they do in the group I work on).

23. Norman Diamond says:

OK, I reported both installation efforts.

24. Mike Bell says:

I saw the earlier reference to a Tenebril product, so i uninstalled their Spycatcher Express (shutting it down didn’t help).  With Tenebril, Aaron’s cleanup utility was hanging as well as the dotNET installer – without Tenebril all works smoothly.  I’m vaguely interested to know if reinstalling Tenebril would break dotNet2.0, but I think I’ll use the time to go play in the park instead.  Thanks Aaron.

25. Chris W. says:

No one of the Workarounds above worked for me, so i made a mixture:

I did the following:

– Deactivated DEP (Data Execution Prevention both software (Windows XP => changed boot.ini:

"

–cut–

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=AlwaysOff

–cut–")

and hardware (bios). deactivated MSDTC under services. after i rebooted the machine i was able to install MS Framework 😉

Hope this helps 😉

26. Jon B says:

I’ve tried everything on this damn blog, and the piece of crap .NET 1.1 still will not complete installing.  It sucks.  What a lame fucking piece of software.  You can’t even get it installed without earning a goddamn PhD.

27. Abe says:

Agreed, way to make another loser package Microsoft!

28. Hi Jon and Abe – I’m very sorry that you’ve run into trouble getting this to install on your system.  Can you please let me know the exact errors that you’re receiving so I can try to help troubleshoot this further?

29. sambo says:

I used the workaround first mentioned – didn’t work. Then I prevented Tenebril Spycatcher from loading at startup with a Startup Control program and that did work. Shutting Spycatcher down after startup didn’t work. Great blog – been working for hours on this problem.

30. Alex Lillo says:

I’ve solved this following Chris W. instructions.

Regards

31. SantaClaus says:

Warning for user of GhostSurf Titanium 2006 (With SpyCatcher). You will hang while registering System.EnterpriseServices.dll. Don’t worry, use the workaround first mentioned and then run "msconfig" and go to Startup tab, uncheck three services of ghostsurf : "Ghostsurf Proxy"; "Scheduler" & "SpyCathcher Protector", apply and restart computer. Use the "dotnetfx_cleanup_tool" to remove fail install step of .NET 2.0, restart computer when commanded. Now, you can reinstall .NET 2.0. Don’t forget re-enable all off Ghostsurf services.

Regards

32. egg says:

I have just spent 2 days trying to install the .NET Framework (both 2.0 and 3.0) on my machines (one brand-new, just bought it yesterday).  I have applied all of the workarounds listed here listed in the blogs.  Nothing worked, today I decided to do a search for SpyCatcher (that and AVG were the only two things common between the machines) and found these comments.  I thought I had shut it down and killed every process, but I still could not install.  I set it not to boot, and now I can install.  Thanks for the help.

BTW, 3.0 hangs almost immediately, instead of part way through.  Unfortunately you can’t really tell what hung it up, but at least you are not left with a partial installation.

33. I got an email from the .NET Framework setup technical support team today with some more information

34. arvychile says:

This URL helped me solve the problem…and finally recover VS2005 without reintalling OS.

35. A little while back, I wrote a blog post describing an interaction issue between Visual Studio setup

36. Details about the .NET Framework 2.0 setup packaging Available command line switches for .NET Framework

37. CFleek says:

For my work around, first I used the script to wipe everything out, THANK YOU, then on the re-install, I kept receiving the blasted Application error caused by the regsvcs.exe /bootstrap.  I disabled the MSDTC which didn’t help, but when I started adding regsvcs.exe to DEP (data execution Prevention) things started to register correctly.  I had to add regsvcs.exe for EACH .NET install to get that one to work.  I didn’t see a way to really disable DEP for everything, but you can disable it per application or program.  This doesn’t appear to quite work on 3.0 / 3.5 but my program started working (QuickBooks) so when I firgure the last one out I’ll update.  Thanks again for all of the previous help!

38. wizardgsz says:

Hello,

the setup hangs registering System.EnterpriseServices.dll even if:

– I disabled MSDTC (Distributed transaction coordinator service)

– I disabled DEP (Data execution prevention)

is there something else to verify?

thanks a lot

39. Hi Wizardgsz – Usually if setup is hanging (as opposed to crashing), there is some other process running on the system that is interfering with the installation.  If this wasn’t caused by the MSDTC service, it could be caused by anti-virus or anti-malware programs that are overly aggressive in what they protect, or could be caused by other services on your system.

I’d suggest trying to temporarily disable anti-virus/anti-malware programs on your system during installation (and of course, re-enable them afterwards).

I’d also suggest trying to use the MsConfig tool to disable non-essential services.  You can find steps to do that at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/11/25/disabling-services-with-msconfig-to-work-around-setup-failures.aspx.

Hopefully one of these will help.

40. amino says:

Hi,I found here by google.I had the same problem with .Net framework 1.1.I used your instructions and disabled MSDTC,it is clear and easy to follow. But it didn't work for .Net 1.1.

Then I opened Task Manager to and found several processes named as "msiexec.exe", I ended most of "msiexec.exe",only left one.The installation then went smoothly and successfully.I don't know how it works, but hope this helps:)

41. Lee says:

Thanks so much – this solved my problem. I just could not reinstall the .net 1.1 redistributable on my XP machine. After 2 days of trying to resolve the problem I tried the above and installation was trouble free. In my opinion the .net framework installation/uninstallation process is the worst I have ever experienced. Thank you for your expertise.

42. Samujjal Kalita says:

I recommend this as it is the best way to install 1.1 framework properly.

43. Jonathan says:

Thank you very much for this, was almost taking a day off after some hours battling with this issue after upgrading to windows 8.1 and trying to reinstall Idiom Desktop Workbench and getting this Registering SystemEnterprises error.

I turned the .Net Framework 3.5 off in control panel>programs>turn windows features on and off,

downloaded the .Net uninstaller tool you provided in this link –blogs.msdn.com/…/406671.aspx and used it,

and tried to install again. This time no issues!

Hope someone else with Win 8.1 comes across this as well and saves some time and hassle.

Skip to main content