Visual Studio 2005 setup hangs while loading installation components

I heard from a customer last week who was trying to install the final release of Visual Studio 2005 but could not even launch the setup program.  They ran setup.exe at the root of the installation DVD, and a small dialog appeared stating that setup was copying files to the %temp% directory, and then it started loading installation components.  At this point, setup hung and the progress bar never reached 100%.  In this scenario, the log file %temp%\dd_vsinstall80.txt had the following information as the last entry in the log before setup hung:

[12/17/05, 11:11:11] setup.exe: [2] ISetupModule::SetManager() failed in ISetupManager::LoadSetupObjectGuid() : vs_setup.dll

In this scenario, as well as in a few other cases listed in this forum post, the underlying problem was traced to the Kaspersky anti-virus program being installed on the system.  If you see VS 2005 setup UI hang when trying to launch setup, please try to uninstall Kaspersky and hopefully it will resolve the hang for you as well.  Please note that we have seen that simply disabling Kaspersky has not seemed to help, and that you will have to perform a full uninstall of this program to workaround this issue.

If this workaround does not work for you, please try to use the steps in this blog post to enable verbose MSI logging and then reproduce the hang and send me a zipped copy of the most recent file named %temp%\msi*.log so that I can try to take a look and see if I can figure out a root cause and workaround for you.  I have seen a few other random cases of setup UI hanging like this, and most of them can be diagnosed with this verbose log file.

1. plao says:

I’ve resolved the problem only unplugging the network…strange but true…

2. Kuba Zygmunt says:

I can confirm that.

I used net install, and only for loading components I needed to disable my network card.

3. Christopher Nebergall says:

I just installed it and had to disable my networking card as well.

4. Clay says:

If you’re getting the Error #1309 during setup of VS2005 from MSDN, it may also be due to the fact that there are 2 folders missing from the distribution.  If you select the "Full Install" option it will need these 2 folders. The solution is easy.

Dump the contents of the 2 CDs to a folder. You should have a "wcu" folder.  Inside that folder create one labeled "dotnetFramework" and another labeled "mdac28".  Download the redistributable .NET 2.0 install (dotnetfx.exe) and MDAC 2.8 (MDAC_TYP.EXE).  Put the files in the corresponding folders and everything should work fine.

5. Gary Mason says:

Visual Studio 2005 setup hangs at Executing Action: Remove TempHxDs.

6. astebner says:

Hi Clay – Those folders should be a part of the MSDN distribution of Visual Studio – they definitely appear on the DVD media that we shipped.  I’m not sure why you are not seeing them in your scenario.

Hi Gary – In your scenario, it often helps to stop setup, reboot and try again to get past that hang.  Let me know if that doesn’t help for you…

7. Rutger says:

"Visual Studio 2005 setup hangs at Executing Action: Remove TempHxDs."

I used to have Visual Studio C# installed before installing VS2005. This installation was done while i was at home and was logged on locally. Now, being at work, (de-installed the express version) logged in on the network the installation hanged as mentioned above. Disabeling network cards also didn’t work.

I logged of enabled my wireless network card like i have when i was home. Logged on locally and tried installing the application again…no success also. Frustrating!

8. Rutger says:

Well, after doing a maintenance action using the add/remove software to repair the setup it did complete as required. Not an elegant solution here, but it worked!

9. bradbox says:

I’m trying to install VS 2005. I’ve tried standard and professional versions. I’ve tried CD & DVD versions. I have disabled anti-virus, all services incl Windows Defender and other programs, it always hangs when the status bar is complete on ‘Setup is loading installation components’. I’ve tried disabling the network card as well.

I have VS 2003 installed and SQL 2000. I need to keep these installed.

I did have Visual Web Developer Express installed, but I uninstalled this because I thought that might be the problem.

I’ve tried extracted the ISO image to the hard drive in case it was a CD or DVD burning issue.

Please help – its driving me mad!

10. astebner says:

Hi Bradbox – Can you please try to use the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/03/29/403575.aspx to enable verbose logging and gather a log file from when Visual Studio setup hangs?  You can zip and send it to me at Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

11. michaelm75 says:

[09/09/06,09:22:59] VS Scenario: Validating system requirements

[09/09/06,09:22:59] VS Scenario: Running warn and block checks

[09/09/06,09:23:00] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty({8297A38B-6431-4F1D-9F6E-C3D371CEA383})

[09/09/06,09:23:00] VS Scenario: Checking if new setup is available. Url=

[09/09/06,09:23:00] VS Scenario: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=51411&clcid=0x407

12. Robayb says:

Hello – I am in a similar situation as Bradbox.

I am trying to load the downloaded version of VS 2005 Pro on a new Centrino Duo core IBM laptop with 1GB RAM. I burned ISO image to DVD and am trying to install from there.

1. I previously had VWD Express edition , but I uninstalled,

2. I disabled all virus softweare.

3. Actually followed the recommended clean boot procedure.

4. Emptied Temp folder.

But it just hanges at the  ‘Setup is loading installation components’ when it is showing that the Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803) file is being loaded. ( I don’t know if it matters but since I am on XP SP2 I already have that program loaded).

I read about how long the setup takes – so I let it load before going to sleep and 8 hours later it is still stuck at that spot.

Any help is appreciated.

13. astebner says:

Hi Robayb – It might help to disable non-system services and running setup again by using the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/11/25/disabling-services-with-msconfig-to-work-around-setup-failures.aspx.

If that doesn’t help, I think your best bet is to contact Microsoft technical support for more detailed troubleshooting assistance.  You are entitled to a free support case for setup-related issues such as this, and you can find contact information for the technical support team on http://support.microsoft.com.

14. A while back, I wrote this blog post describing an issue where the Kaspersky anti-virus application can

15. Where to get Visual Studio 2005 and the .NET Framework 2.0 Where to download the .NET Framework 2.0 redistributable

16. jnmoriginpoint says:

<quote>Hello Aaron, on my machine kaspersky was installed as well but uninstalling didn’t help. Like some others I had to remove my wireless lan card and all went well. First I thought it could me a problem of my software firewall which normally works quite well but disabling it didn’t change anything. If it failes, the last lines in the dd_vsinstall80.txt are:

[09/09/06,09:22:59] VS Scenario: Validating system requirements

[09/09/06,09:22:59] VS Scenario: Running warn and block checks

[09/09/06,09:23:00] VS Scenario: Checking if new setup is available. Url=

I use a Toshiba Satellite Pro SP6100. The internal WLAN card does not work at all. The one that I normally use now is detected as "ORiNOCO PC Card (5 volt)". My OS is Win XP 2 SP 2 with all recent updates. Tell me if u need more information. </quote>

I had exactly the same thing happen to me (using a Barton 2600/n-force rather than your toshiba).  By turning my network connections off the setup .exe proceeded to actually allow the install.  Quite weird, but it’s working now.  Thks to all those who suggested the network disable option.

17. murat.eraydin says:

If everything else fails, try this out:

(I’ve tried everything mentioned here but failed.)

Copy .net framework installation file to the root of c: drive, logoff and logon as local administrator (not domain admin!), and retry!

18. nzdude says:

We found this problem too.  Nothing seemed to work, except waiting.  Almost exactly thirty minutes from where it seemed to hang, it continued!

Here is the section from dd_dotnetfx35install.txt:

[03/09/09,12:07:13] vs70uimgr: CUIMgr::RunScenario(): Starting the active scenario

[03/09/09,12:07:13] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty – Property: {AA62DF98-3F2C-11D3-887B-00C04F8ECDD6} – PropertyName: Maintenance Mode – Value: 0

[03/09/09,12:07:13] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty – Property: {340F7930-0E41-11D3-ACE2-00C04F8EEBA1} – PropertyName: Output Unattend File – Value:

[03/09/09,12:07:13] VS Scenario: Validating system requirements

[03/09/09,12:07:13] VS Scenario: Running warn and block checks

[03/09/09,12:07:19] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty – Property: {8297A38B-6431-4F1D-9F6E-C3D371CEA383} – PropertyName: WebSetup – Value: 1

[03/09/09,12:07:19] VS Scenario: Checking if new setup is available. Url=

[03/09/09,12:07:19] VS Scenario: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=118077&clcid=0x409

[03/09/09,12:37:19] VS Scenario: Call to InternetOpenUrl() failed

[03/09/09,12:37:19] Setup.exe: MoveLoadProgress()

[03/09/09,12:37:19] Setup.exe: GetComponents()

[03/09/09,12:37:19] Setup.exe: get_Components()

[03/09/09,12:37:19] Setup.exe: MoveLoadProgress()

[03/09/09,12:37:19] VS Scenario: Building component lists

19. Anand VG says:

Same problem occured for VS 2010. When I login as localadministrator, I was able to proceed with installation. But, if i log in as the user of the domain (even though I have administrator access in the system) it is hanging in the very first step.

So, please log off and log on to the system as localadministrator and try installing VS 2010