Visual Studio 2005 and .NET Framework 2.0 Setup Troubleshooting Guide

Where to get Visual Studio 2005 and the .NET Framework 2.0

Uninstalling previous beta versions of Visual Studio 2005, the .NET Framework 2.0 and SQL Express

Resolving problems encountered while uninstalling previous betas

Resolving problems that can be encountered while installing the final release of Visual Studio 2005 or the .NET Framework 2.0

Resolving package load failures after installing the final release of Visual Studio 2005

Resolving other problems that can be encountered after installing the final release of Visual Studio 2005 or the .NET Framework 2.0

Resolving problems encountered while installing Visual Studio 2005 SP1

How to get help if none of the above help

1. Ivan says:

Why it is so messy the process of installing/uninstalling Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005?

I trully like all new features of both products but all this issues with the installation and stabillity speed down the process of migrating to them. How could Microsoft release this products when you all know they are still in very beta stage?

2. Hi Ivan – The install and uninstall process is definitely not perfect, but I think it has evolved well over the course of the product cycle into a reliable installation process (thanks in large part to beta testers who were willing to try out the early versions). Most of the problems I have seen have arisen from interaction issues between previous beta versions and the final released version because of bugs that shipped in the betas but that have been fixed in later builds.

I encourage you to report any bugs and suggestions that you see with the final version of VS 2005 and SQL 2005 on the product feedback site (http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback). The product teams see every one of the bugs/suggestions reported there, and you can take a look at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/08/28/457416.aspx for an example of a hard-to-reproduce bug in .NET Framework setup that was found and fixed solely due to the bugs reported on the product feedback site.

3. phil says:

Hi, I am a long time VS user and I am really surprised, if not shocked, with the setup problem with the Document Explorer. Other people have suggested stoping non-MS services, updating msi31 and running dotnetfx.exe but none worked for me. I was doing a fresh installing of the final VS 2005 on XP. I’d bet you guys rushed a little this time.

4. Hi Phil – I’m very sorry for the hassles that you’re running into. Can you please send me the log files named %temp%dd_dexplore80*.txt from this machine so I can take a look? You can send them to aaronste@microsoft.com.

5. John says:

Hello astebner – I want to ask you a question.

How to install .net framework 2.0 final release in a machine in which Visual Studio 2005 beta 2 was installed.

6. Hi John – You will need to uninstall the VS 2005 beta 2 version by using the steps listed at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/uninstall/default.aspx or by using the uninstall tool available from that page.  After doing that, you should be able to download and install the final release of the .NET Framework 2.0 from http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/default.aspx.

7. Rajesh says:

can we integrate third party controls in Beta versions of .net 2005

8. Hi Rajesh – It depends on what the 3rd party control supports.  Some of them were developed during the beta cycle of VS 2005 and they chose to support VS 2005 beta versions.  Some of them only support the final release of VS 2005.  Either way, I encourage you to use the final release of VS 2005 now that it has shipped instead of continuing to use the beta version.

9. BugSplat says:

Two days, endless Google and MSDN searches and I-don’t-know-how-many hours later, I finally have Visual Studio 2005 installed and functional….

10. From Aaron Stebner, setup guru.

How to silently install Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions

How…

11. This guide is intended to serve as a collection of links to articles, tools, tips and tricks that explain…

12. Friendlycoder says:

Hi Aaron,

Im having problems installing the MS Visual studionweb developer express 2005.

I went to the Auto-Uninstall Tool and it said I had sqlserver 2005 beta tools express edition installed. I tried to remove it using the auto tool but got the error:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Reference to undefined entity ‘nbsp’. Error processing resource ‘file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Lee/LOCALS~1/Temp/IXP000.TMP/failed.xs…

&nbsp; <!– div id="RPCreated" style="display:none">

—————————–^

Any idea how to fix this?

If I try to remove manually, it is not registered in the add/remove programs.

Regards

FC

13. Hi Friendlycoder – I have heard of a few instances of this type of error but have not been able to figure out a root cause.  You may need to use the Add/Remove Programs entries to remove the previous beta versions instead of relying on the automated tool.  You can find a list of which products need to be uninstalled and in what order they need to be uninstalled in at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/uninstall/default.aspx#manual.

If you have trouble uninstalling any of those products, you can use steps like the ones I posted at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/30/487096.aspx to locate it and forcibly remove it.

14. Gary Jackson says:

Downloaded VS2005 Team Suite (3 .exe files). Burned CDs.

First CD starts installing VS and then asks for the first CD – "Please insert the disk: Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for:…dotnetfx.exe"

I can’t seem to feed the beast.  What gives? CD Volume names? Stupid user error?

Thanks,

Gary

15. Hi Gary – This could be a volume label issue.  You need to make sure that your VSTS CDs are labeled VSVSTSD1, VSVSTSD2, and VSVSTSD3.  Can you check and see if things work better with those specific volume labels?

16. Melissa says:

Aaron,

I am having trouble installing the .NET Framework 2.0 with the Error: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 has encountered a problem during setup.  Setup did not complete correctly.

Error Signature: EventType : visualstudio8setup     P1 : 183     P2 : 8.0.50727.42_rtm_x86ret

P3 : msi     P4 : inst     P5 : f

P6 : ca_installassemblydef.3643236f_fc70_11d3_a536     P7 : –     P8 : 1603

P9 : –     P10 : –

Error Report Contents:

C:DOCUME~1L501787LOCALS~1TempWLF2F.tmp

C:DOCUME~1L501787LOCALS~1TempSDB30.tmp

C:DOCUME~1L501787LOCALS~1TempVSW0VSSWMSISummary.txt

C:DOCUME~1L501787LOCALS~1TempVSW0VSSWMSIInstallTime.txt

C:DOCUME~1L501787LOCALS~1TempVSW0VSSWMSIFailInfo.txt

<NoFiles>

Once I get this error, the components of Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition does not try to install.  I have tried manually installing the package (downloading .ISO file, extracting the files and installing), I have updated my systems with all available updates.  I’m using Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 with Windows Installer 3.1.

I have tried installing .NET separately and still get that same error.  Any ideas?

17. Melissa says:

I just found this error in my dd_vsinstall80.txt:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : Error code 1603 for this component means "Fatal error during installation.

"

18. Hi Melissa – Error code 1603 is a generic failure error code that could be caused by a lot of possible issues.  Can you please search for %temp%dd_netfx20msi*.txt and zip and send it to me at Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com so I can take a look and see if I can figure out the root cause?

19. Ray says:

Can anyone tell me , is this release version of products or beta??? I have a few big bugs with lost bindingsource, lost DataSource in bindingsource and so on.

___

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005

Version 8.0.50727.42  (RTM.050727-4200)

All included languages has this number

77642-113-3000004-41503

_____________

20. Hi Ray – Version 50727.42 is the final released version number for Visual Studio 2005.  I encourage you to search for and report bugs that you find at http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback.

21. Ray says:

Thanks. But I asked one of my friend to check his version of product and found that mine versions are

77642-113-3000004-41503

but his versions are:

77718-113-3000004-41404

even if we both have same version of VS

Version 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

I can not go to him and look because hi is not in my country πŸ™‚

And about report bugs. I sow one bug with lost DataSource property in BindingSource , but Microsoft says its already fixed in Final Release. Thats why I’m thinking that I have beta version πŸ™

22. Ray says:

I found another very strange thing. Can anyone please check it ?

Open installation DVD (or CD1) go to VS folder, find setup.ini. Open it (in notepad or in other text editors) and look at the begining of text for BannerName variable. In my installation there are

Visual Studio&reg; 2005 Beta 2 Setup !!!

πŸ™

23. Hi Ray – It sounds to me like you have the beta 2 DVD and not the final release.  Where exactly did you see the version 8.0.50727.42 version information that you mentioned in your previous comment?  If the setup files that you looked at refer to beta 2, then that is the beta 2 DVD….

24. Eitan says:

hi guys,

im using VS 2005, and having serious problems creating the msi to install my windowsService…..

Even in simple drivers i create the msi is "supposedly" installes the service, but the service does not appear in he services list.

in VS 2003 we had no problem… what’s going on? how do we get over this?

25. Hi Eitan – I do not have any experience installing services using a Visual Studio setup/deployment project, so I’m afraid I won’t be very helpful here.  I would suggest taking a look at the documentation, starting at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ybshs20f.aspx.  If there isn’t anything useful there, I would suggest looking on the MSDN Forums (http://forums.microsoft.com) or logging a bug on the Product Feedback Site (http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback) to see if you can find any additional help there…

26. ray says:

2 astebner

Hi. I’ve posted info from About box of VS. Also I’ve asked my frieds to check that file and hi found same text

Visual Studio&reg; 2005 Beta 2 Setup !!!

Thats strange! At this moment I have only two big problems with C# designer.

1. I have big dialog windows without about 100 of editors, all binded to datasourse. If I open DataSet designer and change something, even just moving datatableadapter, by bindingsource on dialog box just disaapeared!

2. In another project same situation but bindingsource lost DataSource property!

πŸ™

27. Hi Ray – The C# designer issues that you describe are outside of my areas of expertise.  I suggest taking a look at the product feedback site (http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback) or the MSDN Forums (http://forums.microsoft.com) to see if there are any similar issues that might help you resolve these issues.

28. Perry Schmidt says:

I’ve tried the process of running the preinstalls, and using an .mst file (created w/ setup.exe /createtransform).  It eliminates reboots, and allows me to pre-install all the prereqs.  But it will not install the x64 compilers/tools on x64 OS.  Is there something special that is needed for these tools??

29. Hi Perry – Are you referring to the x64 compilers/tools that appears as a checkable option in the VS installation tree?  If so, I believe that those tools are unchecked by default, so you need to make sure that you check them on in setup UI when you create your MST or INI file for unattended install.  Hopefully this helps…

30. HILLBILLY says:

RE (thanks in large part to beta testers who were willing to try out the early versions),

What you mean is Crash dummys who mistakenly assumed that MSFT development is on a par w/ Oracle etal,  and were istead enlisted to test the stuff because Microsoft is unwilling or unable to. (to busy think up ways to complicate getting a connection string from a config file, i guess).

31. jan says:

I have .NET framework 2.0 and Visual studio 2005 installed. Now I need to compile an application using .NET Framework 1.1. How can I downgrade to 1.1. Should I completely uninstall 2.0 framework. and for that do i also need to uninstall VS 2005?

32. Hi Hillbilly – I understand your viewpoint, but I think that it is overly cynical to make that kind of statement.  I’ve personally seen multiple cases where non-Microsoft employees have gotten the opportunity to influence the underlying designs of the features that ended up shipping in VS 2005 because they were able to try out builds much earlier and more frequently than in previous versions of VS.

Hi Jan – You can install VS 2003 and the .NET Framework 1.1 side-by-side with VS 2005 and the .NET Framework 2.0.  I have them both installed on my development machine and switch back and forth to the different versions of VS based on what version of the .NET Framework I need to build my app for.  There is also a product named MSBee that will allow you to target the .NET Framework 1.1 when building projects in VS 2005.  You can find more information about that tool at http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=MSBee.

33. wanie says:

hi..Aaron

I have a same problem with Melissa in Tuesday, May 16, 2006.I think my error signature also same:

EventType:visualstudio8setup P1:5647 P2: 8.0.50727.42_rtm_x86_ixp

P3:msi P4: inst P5: f

P6: ca_beginhelptransaction. 3643236f_fc70_11d3_a5  P7:- P8:1603

p6:-  P10:-

Error report:

C:DOCUME~1waniLOCALS~1TempWLF62.tmp

C:DOCUME~1waniLOCALS~1TempSD863.tmp

C:DOCUME~1waniLOCALS~1TempVSW0VSSWMSISummary.txt

C:DOCUME~1waniLOCALS~1TempVSW0VSSWMSIInstallTime.txt

C:DOCUME~1waniLOCALS~1TempVSW0VSSWMSIFailInfo.txt

<NoFiles>

can u share with me what is the real problem, and this important for me..thanks

34. Hi Wanie – The error you are seeing is different than Melissa’s.  Yours appears to be failing due to CA_BeginHelpTransaction.  Most of the cases I have seen where that custom action (CA) failed, the user was able to fix it by rebooting and restarting setup again.  Can you please try that and see if it helps in this scenario?

35. nlc9 says:

Here is my problem:

I accidentally uninstalled .net framework 2.0.  I tried to remedy this by doing a system restore.  Now some of the software that runs on that framework are having problems.  Mainly my notebook hardware controls won’t run.  I downloaded .netframework 2.0 agian and tried to repair and I got an error message saying something about verifying that the patch package exists or contacting microsoft.  I get the same message when I tried to uninstall it again.  I tried all of the tools you have posted but none of them would work either.  Can you help me?

36. Hi Nlc9 – Can you please try to use the .NET Framework removal tool described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx to uninstall the .NET Framework 2.0 and then try to install it again and see if that helps solve this problem?

37. mike_saifi says:

Aaron,

Error Signature:

EventType : visualstudio8setup

P1 : 183     P2 : 8.0.50727.42_rtm_x86ret

P3 : msi     P4 : inst

P5 : f     P6 : ca_installassemblydef.3643236f_fc70_11d3_a536     P7 : –     P8 : 1603

P9 : –     P10 : –

Error Report Contents:

C:DOCUME~1L501787LOCALS~1TempWLF2F.tmp

C:DOCUME~1L501787LOCALS~1TempSDB30.tmp

C:DOCUME~1L501787LOCALS~1TempVSW0VSSWMSISummary.txt

C:DOCUME~1L501787LOCALS~1TempVSW0VSSWMSIInstallTime.txt

C:DOCUME~1L501787LOCALS~1TempVSW0VSSWMSIFailInfo.txt

<NoFiles>

38. Hi Mike_saifi – Can you please look for a file named %temp%dd_netfx20msi*.txt and zip and send to me at Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com so I can take a look and see if I can figure anything out?

39. Ruairi says:

Hi, im having really annoying problems with my Visual Studio 2005 Professional, everything worked fine initially but since then it has said that one or more components cannot be found and it needed to be re-installed, but problem is when i try to run setup.exe from the directory it just never loads, even though i get 50% cpu usage from setup.exe in the task manager. I tried to run it with a selective reboot, with no other services apart from windows and the setup launched, but the install failed and i am now completely lost as to what to do next. any help is appreiciated, thanks, Ruairi.

40. Ruairi says:

oh, this also happens for the windows update of .NET framework 1.1

41. Hi Ruairi – Can you please try to use the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/03/29/403575.aspx to gather a verbose log file for either or both of these scenarios, and then zip and send them to Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com so I can try to take a look?

42. pra_feb says:

Thanks astebner. It works for me. πŸ™‚

43. oggix says:

hi Aaron,

i got this messages when installing .NET framework 2.0

EventType : visualstudio8setup     P1 : 183     P2 : 8.0.50727.42_rtm_x86ret

P3 : msi     P4 : inst     P5 : f

P6 : ca_installassemblydef.3643236f_fc70_11d3_a536     P7 : –     P8 : 1603

P9 : –     P10 : –

I’ve sent an email to your email containing the error log in %temp%dd_netfx20msi*.txt .

Waiting for your reply.

Ogi

44. Hi Oggix – I looked at the logs you sent, and I’d suggest starting by running the .NET Framework cleanup tool described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx and then trying to install the .NET Framework 2.0 again.

If that doesn’t help, you may want to try using the MsConfig tool to disable any non-critical services to see if that will allow setup to succeed.  You can find instructions for doing that at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/11/25/disabling-services-with-msconfig-to-work-around-setup-failures.aspx.

If none of those help, you will likely need to contact Microsoft Technical Support for more detailed troubleshooting assistance.  You should be entitled to a free support case for setup-related issues such as this, and you can find contact information at http://support.microsoft.com.

Hopefully this helps.

45. George_L_UK says:

Hi Aaron, I’m finding an error installing .NET 2.0 and recieve the following error report.

EventType : visualstudio8setup     P1 : 183     P2 : 8.0.50727.42_rtm_x86ret

P3 : msi     P4 : inst     P5 : f     P6 : installvalidate     P7 : –

P8 : 1601     P9 : –     P10 : –

I cannot find the dd_netfxmsi*.txt file you require though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

46. Hi George_L_UK – The exact names of the .NET Framework 2.0 setup log files are listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/447012.aspx.  Can you please check to see if you have any logs with the names listed in that post and then zip and send them to me so I can see if I can figure anything out about this scenario?  You can send the logs to Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

47. new javid says:

Hello Aaron, I’m finding an error installing .NET 2.0 and receive the following error report.

EventType:visualstudio8setup   p1 :10826 p2:8.0.50727.42_rtm_x86_cd p3:msi p4:inst p5:f

p6:nomsi p7:-1

p8:1603

p9:- p10:-

I’ve also tried different solutions that you had already proposed to the other members ,

those didn’t work for me . could you please help me with this .

48. Hi New Javid – Can you please zip and send me the log files from your failing VS 2005 installation so I can take a look?  I can’t tell what is happening just from this error report.  You can find a complete list of log files for the .NET Framework 2.0 and VS 2005 at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/447012.aspx, and you can send me the logs at Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

49. zaleksf says:

Hi Aaron,

I’m having difficulty getting .NET 2.0 installed. The issue started with my system’s inability to update .NET 3.0 with sp1, and the situation deteriorated from there. I’m running WinXP sp3 on a new Dell Optiplex 755.

I have performed all of the steps to remove, clean-up and reinstall .NET 2.0 indicated in this blog, but it always "hangs" at the end – and it gives the "appearnce" of being installed (folders, files, in "Add/Remove" list, MSUpdate attempts to update it, etc.), but it is not functional.

I suspect that I am missing a file, or a critical service is turned off. Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated. I’ll send you my log files in a separate e-mail.

Regards,

Steve Zalek

50. Hi Zaleksf – The logs you sent me via email show that the .NET Framework 2.0 is failing while trying to install Microsoft.Build.Framework.dll to the GAC, but they don’t show any specific error code to help narrow down why this is happening unfortunately.  If you haven’t already, I’d suggest trying the removal and re-install steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/07/8108332.aspx in case they help remove anything that is lingering around on your system that might be interfering with this scenario.

It might also help to try the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/11/25/disabling-services-with-msconfig-to-work-around-setup-failures.aspx in case there is some other process running that is interfering with this installation.  One other thing to try if neither of the above help is to temporarily disable any anti-virus or anti-spyware software that is running on the system, then try to run the installer, then re-enable the anti-virus/anti-spyware software after setup is complete.

Hopefully one of these will help.

51. elif says:

heeeeeellllllpppppp……

52. Hi Elif – I'm sorry for the hassles that you're running into.  I need more details about the exact problem that you're running into, error messages that you're seeing, etc in order to be able to help further.

53. mandy says:

hi aaron there is a problem…..i m unable 2 find out vs2005 to get downloaded…plz provide me d site link so that i could find it out + sql2005 related to vs2005……plz help….

54. Hi Mandy – It doesn't look like VS 2005 is available for download anymore.  I'd suggest contacting Microsoft Technical Support for further assistance if you require VS 2005 and can't use one of the newer versions in your scenario.

55. Dr.Kishore says:

Hello Aaron,

I have a statistical software which works fine on windows 7. when I migrated to 8 pro x64 bit and installed the same, it says vb error and fm20.dll is corrupt or missing. So I have replaced fm20.dll then again I got another new error instead of fm20.dll I got out of memory error. I also replaced this fm20enu.dll in syswow64 folder and registered the dll. Though the program loads correctly now and calculates it cannot export the results to a word file. It says "Microsoft office cannot verify the license for this product". I detected that visual basic 6 runtime files are needed for this program to run properly which I cannot install on windows 8. Pl advise.

56. Hi Dr. Kishore – I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar enough with the VB6 runtime files to know how to troubleshoot this type of issue.  I found a knowledge base article at support.microsoft.com/…/224305 that talks about fm20.dll, and it suggests downloading the ActiveX Control Pad from msdn.microsoft.com/…/ms968493.aspx to install a copy of fm20.dll.  It might be worth trying that to see if it helps on your PC.

If that doesn't help, then I'd suggest contacting the application's manufacturer to see if they have any known issues or patches for this type of problem on Windows 8.