Troubleshooting suggestions for guide download errors in Media Center

I have heard from several customers so far who have encountered television guide download errors after installing Update Rollup 2 for Media Center 2005.  One of the customers sent me a link to a lengthy newsgroup thread that has several suggestions to fix or workaround guide download issues.  I wanted to consolidate some of the suggestions listed there and also include some other suggestions I have heard from other sources to try to unblock anyone who currently cannot get guide download working correctly.

1. Make sure that your system clock is set to the correct time and time zone for the region you are located in.  Note also that daylight savings time ended this past weekend in the United States and also earlier in October in Europe so if you do not have the box checked to automatically adjust the time for daylight savings time changes, you may have to manually adjust your clock to account for this
  2. Eliminate possible XML parsing problems caused by previously downloaded guide data by renaming the directory %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Ehome\EPG (I suggest renaming rather than deleting in case you want to revert back to the previous data later on).  Then open Media Center, go to Settings, then TV, then Guide, then Set up Guide Listings and configure guide download one more time to regenerate this folder and (hopefully) the contents
  3. Launch Media Center, choose Settings, then General, then Media Center Setup and choose to not use the guide.  Then restart the machine, relaunch Media Center and run Media Center setup again and choose to use the guide again
  4. Re-register the Media Center guide DLL by clicking on the Start menu, choosing Run, typing cmd and then running the command line %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\regasm.exe %windir%\ehome\ehepgdat.dll
  5. Temporarily disable any anti-virus, anti-spyware or firewall software that you have installed on your system, then launch Media Center and try to download guide data again
  6. Uninstall McAfee Privacy Service if you have it installed

If none of the above suggestions work, you can do the following to look for more detailed error information:

1. Click on the Start menu, choose Run and type eventvwr.exe
  2. Right-click on the Application event log and choose Save Log File As
  3. Save the log file as appevent.evt
  4. Locate the Media Center guide download log files.  They should be located in the directory named something like C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\ehome\EPG\TraceHelper

Our development team is also working on debugging a couple of guide download issues that we have been able to get access to repro machines for.  I will continue to update my blog as we find out any new information about these issues.

<update date=”12/8/2005″> Added additional suggested workaround of running regasm.exe for ehepgdat.dll </update>

<update date=”12/14/2005″> Added additional suggested workaround of disabling anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall software on the system </update>

<update date=”1/9/2006″> Added additional log information that can be useful in tracking down guide download issues </update>

1. msvista says:

I have a strange problem with Vista on my Dell D800 Laptop with MCE 2005. When I start Media Center it says "Your video card or drivers are not compatible with Media Center" and it does not play any video files even though I can play the same from Media Plyer. Surpringly the video card NVidia GeForce FX Go5200 is listed as supported card from Media Center technical notes; and I have the latest driver.

Shall we know what is the problem here…searching web revealed no clue

We really appreciate it

Thanks

2. msvista says:

oops..its not Vista OS, its MCE 2005 in my previous comment

3. Jerome Paradis says:

Is there any known issue with accented letters with the guide in Rollup 2? Since I installed it, all my accented letters are screwed and replaced by other characters.

4. Jason Tsang [MVP] says:

Hi Jerome

re: your issue, here is news from Chris Hill [MSFT] (via the newsgroups)

Hi Folks,

I have good news and (kind of) Bad news about this.

Bad News: The cause of this has a larger impact than just the accented characters being changed. Testing and Quality assurance has not signed off on the solution. We will not be rolling out the solution until a full test

pass is done and all parties involved have signed off on it.

Good News: We know the cause and have a solution that is not only under development but has the fix already done and checked in for testing. What this means is that the issue is server side, not client so you will not need to download any patches.

5. Jerome Paradis says:

Thanks for the answer.

6. John Campanale says:

I have an issue in zipcode 32221 that will get the correct cable company, with 2 options. The first is for the standard cable and the second is for the digital cable. It will give me an error 23 if I try to use the standard cable for the guide, which is what I wanted, but it will without fail load the guide for the digital cable, all 800+ cannels. An thoughts.

John Campanale

johncampanale@comcast.net

7. charlie garnish says:

when i try to gather information for the sevice providers, it does not connect to the internet it says that "connecting to the in ternet failed. wouould you like to try again". i have done this for many days and it hasnt come up with the required screen. i have looked all over the help sections on the pc and i have googled it to the high heavens and still no luck. i do have an internet connection whih is wireless, i was wondering if thi had anything to do with this. a reply would be much appreciated

thanks, chaz

8. Eric says:

First off, thanks to you for solving my rollup 2 problems — I was hitting my head against a wall!

But my guide has now stopped working — I was getting occasional cannot connect errors, but the guide updated often enough to be usable. Now, it just sits at zero, and has to be manually stopped. The last update I attempted — last night at 10 pm, was still at 0% this morning at 8:30 am!

[Personally, that is stretching the ‘this may take a few minutes…’ dialog a bit.]

I have removed the cypher folder contents, deleted old guide listings, restarted the PC after selecting no guide, tried selecting cable instead of antenna, changed my zip code, et cetera but I have nothing except for one very odd observation — there are a few shows still scheduled to record in the future(!) — not all of my schedule, mind you, but a handful of random ones. (Yet nothing is listed in the guide).

I do find it to be quite upsetting that this seems to be the no. 1 complaint on the internet and on the microsoft community board, yet the only way I found the ‘complaint page’ on the microsoft web site about this (and yes, there was one) was drilling three or four levels down in a web search (not the microsoft site search, mind you — it has no clue the page was there).

Thank you for letting me vent — I wouldn’t be so upset if I hadn’t rearranged my life (and my living-room!) around this bit of software.

9. Hi Eric – I’m very sorry that you’re running into this guide download issue. Do you have any entries in your application event log related to guide download (there is a description for how to find them at the end of this blog post just before the start of the comments section)?

10. Glyn says:

trying to download provider listings but keeps saying unknown connection failure. Internet working fine though. (wireless connection via router). Any ideas?

11. Hi Glyn – can you please use the steps listed above in this blog post to locate and export the application event log and send it to me at aaronste@microsoft.com so I can try to take a look?

12. craven says:

Any ideas what would be causing an error code 13 (failure to download guide data)?

My internet connection is fine. When entering my zip code in mce, it returns the local cable providers. But when it tries to download the guide data it dies everytime. Brand new machine. Thanks 🙂

13. Hi Craven – can you please try to browse to an HTTPS web page in your internet browser (and not just an HTTP web page) and see if that works? Also, can you please try the workarounds listed at the top of this blog post if you haven’t already (since you didn’t mention in your commment whether or not you have).

14. Paul says:

Thanks for this guide. Just had a (UK) epg download failure 33 – after reading this checked the system date/time, and the year was 2106… Fixing this solved the problem.

15. Craven says:

Aaron, thanks for the reply. Sorry I left out details.

Yes, can browse to https. Yes, tried workarounds above with no luck.

I will send you the zip file as noted above.

The error 13 states "Failure attempting to download new Guide data. Please ensure that you are connected to the Internet. If you connect through a LAN, ensure that your proxy or firewall has been properly configured." But nowhere can I find what the proper configuration should be.

Thaks for your help!

16. Chris says:

The guide I am downloading is off by 6 hours. I am located in Mexico City, I have set my time zone to Mexico, when I download the guide (Cablevision Mexico-Digital) it show programs that start at 3:00PM as starting at 9:00AM. I suspect that it is not compensating for the time zone change from GMT time zone.

Any Ideas?

17. Buck says:

Aaron, I am having the same problem as Craven. Error 13. I have tried your t-shooting tips and have spent numerous hours with Dell. The guide may show as high as 17% complete then drops to 0 then times out with the error. I sent you my files a couple days ago – would you like a re-send?

Thanks for any help…

18. Dori says:

Aaron

I sent you the email with attached zip file, having error 23 issues with the guide

Thanks

19. Buck says:

Aaron,

Dell has contacted me on a follow up of this guide dowload issue.  They say I should re-load the OS.  Do you concur?

Thanks

20. Hi Buck – I usually only recommend reinstalling the OS is usually a last resort when all other troubleshooting steps have failed.  So, it depends on what error code you are getting for guide downloads and what other troubleshooting steps have been tried already.  Can you please provide some more details about your scenario?

21. Buck says:

Aaron,

I have an error code 13 that appears everytime I attempt to download the guide for DirecTv.  The only guide information I have ever been able to download was for AFN – this was attempted while troubleshooting with Dell just to see if anything would load.  When I attempt to download the completion icon may show as high as 17% complete, though usually only 1 or 2, then drops to 0% complete, then times out with error code 13.  We have tries everything with McAfee, to include completley removing the program.  Nothig seems to work.  I sent the files mentioned in your troubleshooting tips on 2 Feb 2006.  Did they arrive?  I can resend.  Oh – I have followed all of your suggestions as well – no luck.

Regards, Buck

22. Hi Buck – If you haven’t already, can you please try the workarounds listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/526231.aspx and see if they help.  That is the full list of workarounds that I know of to try for error code 13.  Hopefully one of them will help…

23. Buck says:

Aaron,

Went to the link indicated – no help.  I’ll be signing up for future notifications on this issue.  I failed to mention I also have satellite internet through Direcway.  Is it possible this is part of the problem?  I have true high speed internet at work – I’m going to take my system in and see what happens there.

If there is anything I can do to help troubleshoot this issue please let me know.  I really wanted the freedom this OS was going to give me with regards to my business travel and recording TV without a TIVO or VHS tapes.

Regards, Buck

24. Buck says:

Aaron,

I’ve got my system hooked up here at work and the guide downloaded in under 2 minutes.  It appears that my connection through Direcway is the problem.  Is there a fix?  Is it possible to download updates to a thumb drive at work and install on my home machine?  Direcway does mention that VPN connections will not work through their system – is this part of the issue?

Is there anything else I can do to help nail this problem down?  Is it possible that updates will work now that I’ve gotten my first guide download?

Regards, Buck

25. Chad says:

Crap, I have Direcway too and I built this system at work on our lab DSL line.  The guide downloaded almost instantly at work.  On my direcway connection it gives me our lovely Code 13.  I’ll grab an ethereal trace and poke through it but just so you know you are not alone!

More later,

Chad

26. Evelyn says:

Having same problem downloading guide for DirecTV using WinMCE and DirecWay Satellite Internet connection.  Hope someone figures it out!  I was able to download the guide the first few times I ran it, but had trouble with Internet until DirecWay had me change proxy information and now I can’t get guide to download anymore.

27. Kyle says:

Hi Aaron,

In a post above, you said:

"Hi Craven – can you please try to browse to an HTTPS web page in your internet browser (and not just an HTTP web page) and see if that works?"

I’m having the same problems as everyone else (error code 13, can’t download guide data), except I CAN’T browse to an HTTPS web site on the media center computer.

I can from other computers on the network, but not the media center.

Could this be causing my guide problems?  If so, how do I fix it?

Thanks for your help.

28. Hi Kyle – Yes, it is possible that this is the cause of your guide download issue.  Media Center needs to be able to access HTTPS web sites in order to communicate with the server that hosts guide data.  In most cases, failure to access HTTPS web sites is a proxy server configuration or firewall configuration issue.  You may want to try to change your proxy settings and see if that will resolve this issue.

29. Kyle says:

Aaron,

Thanks for such a quick reply (especially on a Saturday!).  I’m tinkering with it now, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

30. Kyle says:

Well, I can get the mc pc onto https sites now (changed firewall settings), but it still refuses to download the guide.

If I get it working I’ll post what I did.  Thanks for trying.

31. Hi Kyle – You may need to go through the guide configuration steps for Media Center again now that you’ve fixed the firewall issue.  You might also want to try the additional steps described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/526231.aspx and http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/03/10/549199.aspx and see if they help here.

32. Kyle says:

I wanted to let everyone know I got it working.

I was using an old network card, and I think it was part of the problem.  I could get online just fine, but things like windows update and the guide download had problems.

A new network card and a fresh install of MCE did the trick.

I doubt that this will work for everyone else, but it’s definately worth a shot.  If it doesnt work you could always just return the card.

Now I just need to get MCE to recognize my second tuner.

Thanks again for your help.

33. Hi Kyle – I’m glad to hear that you got guide download working on your system, but I’m sorry for the hassles you had to go through.

For the tuner issue – can you confirm that your tuner is installed and visible from Device Manager on your system?  If so, you should be able to re-run TV setup from the Media Center Settings | TV menu.

34. JohnR says:

I was having sporadic guide download problems for as long as I’ve had Media Center (several months), but it’s worked well enough to maintain at least 10 days worth of listings.  Today, though, the guide just quit outright.  I’m out of guide data and it won’t connect to get any more.

I was following the suggestions at the top of this blog and got to #3 – re-ran setup no guide, rebooted, re-ran setup and enabled guide.  Now, instead of Code 13, I have Code 14.  It doesn’t even try to download the guide data; as soon as it connects to the Internet, out comes Code 14.  I’ve checked (at least 10 times over) the system date and time (#1 above).  I tried renaming the EPG directory (#2 above).  Now #3 stopped me dead in my tracks.  I feel like I got dumped from the frying pan straight into the fire.

I am able to to connect to both HTTP (port 80) and HTTPS (port 443) web sites and I’ve checked the system date and time more times than I can remember.

It was working OK for months.  Then last week, I started getting messages about being low on guide data, so I guess this problem actually started about a week ago and has been headed downhill since.  I am sure that I made absolutely NO CHANGES to software, hardware, home network settings, etc. AT ALL.  It was working, then it decided to quit.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

35. Kevin says:

Like a lot of others here I am having trouble downloading the MC Guide…dreaded Code 13 Error.  I moved recently, and my ISP is now DirectWay Satelite.  My previous ISP was Comcast Cable and I had no problems downloading the MC Guide with Cable.

I have tried every troubleshoot listed in these blogs with no success.  I am convinced that this error is somehow related to DirectWay.  Anyone have any info?  Thanks.

36. James Avery says:

I just got two MCE boxes.  One is my main box which is plugged into my wrt54g directly, the other is my HTPC which connects wirelessly.  Other than the wireless software both of these boxes have the same software.  Same XP updates, same .net framework (1.0,1.1, & 2.0) same MCE 2005 updates/rollups.  Same nvidia puredvd.  Same everything.  I walked them both through the same procedure of windowsupdate until there were none left and installing all the software I had.

The main box worked fine right out of the box.  Had no troubles.  Can watch TV and consistently update the EPG.  It only takes a few seconds to update the EPG and the EPG info is correct.

The HTPC box is ball of wax.  It has never downloaded the EPG date.  Once it got to 9% then back to 0%.  Ive restarted,deleted the EPG dir, turned off the usage of EPG & restarted & enabled it, I’ve re-registered the DLL for framework 2.0, I have no firewall on and I use kaspersky AV.

The xml file that logs errors shows eventid 13 and other than the standard download failure message the only other errors it gives is that there is a BIT###### file in the EPG folder that could not be deleted where ###### is a bunch of numbers.

Dell has told me to reinstall and is sending me a CD because I refused to send the box back.  The only things I can think of that I havent tried yet is uninstall the wireless card and software and hook it up directly to the router so the two boxes are indentical.  But that would be a temporary solution if it worked as the HTPC must be wireless since it is on another floor.

I’ve noticed a lot of people that say they get eventid 13 mention they are using some wireless card.  Anyone try temporarily bypassing the wireless card?

37. Hi Kevin – There are some other customer suggestions related to DirecWay satellite internet in the comments for my blog post at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/526231.aspx (especially the comment from "johnny" at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/526231.aspx#559369) that might be useful for you.  I encourage you to check that post out and see if any of those suggestions help.

Hi JohnR and James Avery – I have written some other blog items about guide download errors and possible resolutions (plus a lot of customers have added their helpful suggestions as well) that you might want to check out.  You can look at the links in the "Guide download errors" section of the article at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/487537.aspx.

38. James Avery says:

Thanks Aaron.

I’ve already tried everything here:

Should I Re-register the DLL with all versions of  Microsoft.NET Framework?  I only did 2.0

39. This article serves as a central location for all links to troubleshooting documentation that has been

40. sarp1028 says:

HALLELUJAH!

OK I THOUGHT THAT I WAS PART OF THE CROWD THAT STILL HAD A CODE 14 PROBLEM WITH THE TIME SET CORRECTLY… HOWEVER, THE MONTH WAS ALL MESSED UP! AFTER HOURS OF TECH SUPPORT AND FORUM SEARCHING! YEEEEEAAAAHAAAAH!

41. JeffDan says:

I used Windows Update to download/install the Update Rollup 2.  Now I get Guide Download Error – Internet connection failure (Code: 4).  I am running ZoneAlarm 6.5.  When I disable ZA, I can download the program guide without a problem.

42. cj08758 says:

I’m having the cannot connect problem with updating the guide – as far as I can tell my media center version is 2002. I’ve tried fixes at the blog and HP cust serv’s fixes – they told me reload the OS. I looked at the tracehelper file;

<event level="Error" source="Media Center Guide" time="2007:04:27 05:28:28:000000" eventid="9" category="4">Connection not working.</event>

<event level="Info" source="Media Center Guide" time="2007:04:27 05:28:27:984375" eventid="0" category="0">unable to connect to well known server System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus() at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() at Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Ehepgdat.AttemptConnectionImp(Object state)</event>

and found this in the first two entries. After reading the blog can I assume that the problem lies with Microsoft and not my notebook?

43. Hi Cj08758 – This error message sounds like some kind of internet connectivity problem.  It is hard to say whether it is an issue within Windows, within Media Center, or with the connection to your internet provider.

I’ve posted a list of all possible guide download errors at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/490466.aspx.  You’ve got error code 9, which means "LAN connection not working. Please check proxy settings and try again."  The workaround suggested there is "Check internet connection settings. Type in "http://www.microsoft.com/&quot; into the Web browser and see if that works. This error code is logged at the start of any connection attempt based on whether Media Center can access the well-known host "http://www.microsoft.com/&quot;."

Also, is it possible that there is some kind of firewall or anti-virus software blocking access to the internet within programs like Media Center?  It might help to try temporarily disabling any programs like that and trying to download guide data again on your system.

44. cmfranklin says:

I recently bought and installed Windows Vista Home Premium and at first the guide downloaded OK.  But now it has stopped and once again I’m getting the same download eror 13 I got with Windows XP.

I have read thru all the old blog suggestions and tried those which I felt competent to try.  However, none of them seemed to work.  It seems pretty remarkable to me that this problem, which seems to have been around ever since 2005, is still not fixed by Microsoft.

Since I bought MS Vista and installed it on my Dell computer, will I be able to call Microsoft to get help on this issue?  Or will I sitll be passed off to Dell?  I agree with one of the past posters on the blog that this is an issue which should have been fixed long ago by Microsoft and can’t tell you how many hours I have spent trying to make this KEY feature of Windows Media Center work properly.

Charles Franklin

45. Hi Cmfranklin – I’m very sorry for the hassle you’re encountering while trying to download guide data.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of possible causes for this kind of guide download error.  Some of them are things that Microsoft and Media Center can control, but some are caused by things like incorrect LAN settings or firewall settings, etc and there is not a lot that Microsoft can do to fix that type of issue other than try to help with diagnostics.

I’ve posted a list of the workarounds I know of for error code 13 at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/526231.aspx.  I’d suggest making sure that you’ve tried all of those if you haven’t yet just to be sure you didn’t miss anything.

You should be able to contact either Microsoft or Dell technical support for this type of issue.  However, I would start with Microsoft since you bought a separate copy of Windows Vista and it did not come pre-installed on your system.

46. DEM4 says:

I’m getting error code 34, but the only solution I can find relates to Norton firewall and I don’t have Norton installed on my computer.  Do you have any other solutions?

(I had this problem once before and came across an article that suggested changing one fo the services from Network to Local.  I can’t find that article now.  Does that sound familiar?)

47. Hi DEM4 – I’m sorry, but I don’t have any better information to pass along to you about that error.  The only workaround that is listed in the blog post at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/490466.aspx is to try again later, but I’m guessing you’ve already tried that.

I’d suggest posting a question at one of the following locations and hopefully someone there might be able to suggest some other workarounds for you to try:

I’m sorry I’m not able to be more helpful in this scenario.

48. Hi DEM4 – Also, the service logon change that you mentioned might be similar to this blog post – http://robmensching.com/blog/posts/2007/12/1/Fixing-quotNo-Services-Foundquot-for-FM-Radio-in-Windows-Media.  It is possible that this setting change could affect guide download and not just the radio feature mentioned in that blog post, so if you’re running Windows Vista, that workaround might be worth a try.