Update Rollup 2 setup failure while installing KB891593

I have heard from a couple of customers who have encountered an error during setup for Update Rollup 2 for Media Center 2005, and setup then fails with a generic message (which simply states that setup failed).  In the cases I have seen so far, one of the prereqisite packages for Update Rollup 2 (a DShow hotfix described by KB891593) failed to install because there was another hotfix installed that updates the same file (another DShow hotfix described by KB904706).

This does not happen on all computers that have KB904706 installed before attempting to install Update Rollup 2, but since it has been seen by multiple people now I wanted to post a workaround here just in case anyone else runs into it.

How do I know if this issue is the one affecting my machine?

You can diagnose this issue by looking at a couple of the log files that Update Rollup 2 setup creates.  First, you can open %windir%\mcsetup.log in a text editor such as Notepad.  If KB891593 is the package that fails on your system, you will see the following entry in mcsetup.log:

Generic Package:   09/20/05. 09:00:44
Looking for existing install of the generic package
Creating Process: WindowsXP-KB891593-x86.exe /quiet /norestart
Process returned 0x00000643

The 0x00000643 return code (which translates to 1603 in decimal) represents the return code for a generic error in a Windows hotfix package.

Now, you can look at %windir%\kb891593.log to determine the exact reason why this hotfix failed to install.  In the cases I have seen so far, the error in kb891593.log looks like the following:

3.437: DoInstallation: Installation was canceled because migration is blocked by following files:
3.437: Package KB904706, File c:\windows\system32\dllcache\quartz.dll, Version 6.5.2600.2749, Branch SP2GDR
3.437: Package KB904706, File c:\windows\system32\quartz.dll, Version 6.5.2600.2749, Branch SP2GDR
3.453: KB891593 Setup encountered an error:  Failed to migrate dependent packages.

How can I workaround this issue?

In the cases I have seen so far, uninstalling KB904706 and then attempting to reinstall Update Rollup 2 has proven successful.  The following steps can be used to accomplish this:

1. Go to the Control Panel and choose Add or Remove Programs
  2. Check the box labeled Show updates in the top middle of the Add or Remove Programs window
  3. Locate the section named Windows XP – Software Updates and choose to uninstall the package named Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706)
  4. Attempt to install Update Rollup 2 again by returning to Windows Update or running the setup package located here

Note: Once you have successfully installed Update Rollup 2 for Media Center 2005, you can safely reinstall KB904706 on your system if you would like to.

What is the root cause of this issue?

We are still trying to identify an exact root cause for this problem.  Both KB891593 and KB904706 try to update the file %windir%\system32\quartz.dll, but there is a mechanism within the Windows hotfix setup wrapper (update.exe) that accounts for overlapping files and migrates copies of the file appropriately.  We have attempted to reproduce this issue in our test lab and in the cases we have tried, Update Rollup 2 setup succeeds, and there is information like the following in kb891593.log:

30.891: MigrateHotfix: Migrating hotfix KB904706
30.922: Migrating QFE KB904706 with command line: update.exe -Z -Q -B:sp2qfe
46.500: MigrateHotfix: Hotfix KB904706 successfully migrated
46.500: MigrateHotfixes: Return code: 3010

I will update this post if/when we discover better information about what is causing this problem and why it is not does not reproduce 100% of the time when we try it in our lab.

<update date=”2/21/2006″> Added a note that it is safe to reinstall KB904706 after Update Rollup 2 has been successfully installed if you run into this scenario </update>

1. Gary Thomlinson says:

Thanks for this information… It has saved me hours of experimentation!

2. Brian Roepke says:

You are my hero! How did you ever find this?@? I must have tried a dozen things (with a restart every step of the way) – This solved my problem right away!

3. Blacklabcomputers says:

Thanks much Aaron, the fix work perfect! Now I’m guessing your not just sitting in your office at Microsoft on a Sunday evening, getting paid to respond to customer issues and your were probably addressing my email (and others I’m sure) from your home or remote location. Reviewing your blog I am sure you spend a lot of personal time keeping that updated as well. If that’s the case, I very much respect your dedication to helping customers and got to believe you’re a personally involved and committed to the WMCE software and working very hard to support it and improve on it (not all on company time). You are the true meaning of dedication the epitome of customer service and I salute you for your fast response and interest in solving my problem.

4. Jeremy says:

I am having this exact problem trying to install Rollup 2, but unfortunately I cannot uninstall KB904706 since I deleted the $NtUninstallKB904706 directory some time ago (oops!). I tried removing all references to KB904706 from my registry, but the rollup is probably checking the version of the quartz.dll file and still fails.

Any way I can roll back to an older quartz.dll temporarily so I can get the rollup update installed?

5. Hi Jeremy – I think the best way for you to proceed would be to install KB904706 back onto your system (in order to recreate the $NtUninstallKB904706$ directory), uninstall it, and then proceed with Update Rollup 2 setup. Can you please try that and let me know how it goes?

6. Jeremy says:

Aaron, thanks for the suggestion … not sure why I didn’t think of it.

Unfortunately, it didn’t work. Even after re-installing and subsequently uninstalling KB904706, update rollup 2 still fails with the same error referencing quartz.dll, which still had the 6.5.2600.2749 version.

7. Hi Jeremy – can you please send me the log file named %windir%kb891593.log so I can take a look and see if I can figure anything out? You can send it to aaronste@microsoft.com.

8. Jeremy says:

Aaron … thanks for all of your help. Your suggestion to rename quartz.dll and then try to install the rollup worked. I renamed the .dll using command-line Safe Mode and then the patch installed successfully!

Thanks again.

9. Joe Casparino says:

This was most helpful. It solved my problem perfectly. Thank you for posting this, I have spent hours to get the rollup to reinstall after I did a re-install of XPMce2005.

10. JonT says:

Aaron,

Found this webpage and tried what was here, but still it’s a no go. I sent you copies of the MCsetup.log and KB891593.log files.

11. Josiah says:

Just wanted to say thanks for the fix. I uninstalled KB904706 and I was able to install rollup 2 just fine.

12. ron cortez says:

Hey thanks Aaron, this page save me alot of trouble.

After Update Rollup 2 is installed do you re-install KB904706?

13. Mike Nichols says:

Thanks for the information.  I’d like to say it worked but the KB904706 update on my computer states that it cannot be uninstalled.  Any suggestions??

14. Hi Mike – It sounds like KB904706 may have been installed originally on your system with a command line switch that prevents uninstall.  Can you try to reinstall KB904706 using the link at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-050.mspx and then see if the uninstall option will work for you?

15. Chris says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! Finally got Rollup 2 installed!

16. movieman says:

Came upon this as I too have been having hassle trying to install Rollup 2 and also Update Rolloup 2.

Saw I had the KB904706 installed and thought Ah, this could be my problem.

Tried to remove it but as stated it was not removable.   Restored my system to an earlier date to get rid of the KB904706, all OK.

Then tried the update rollup 2 package.

Well,  no good,  package installs and says it installs OK, but on rebooting the Mediacentre gives the following error, this is what I have had for sometime now.

"Fatal execution engine error 0x7927e03e"

This refers to ehshell.exe

ProcessID=0x5a0(1440) ThreadID=0x59c(1436)

I still have this problem and can only restore the system to working again by restoring to an earlier time.

Can you give me any clues please…. I am tearing my hair out to sort this and I have not got much of it, anyway.

Regards

17. Hi Movieman – Can you please gather the log files listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx and send them to me using the email address in that blog post?  I will try to take a look and see if I can figure out what is causing this on your system…

18. fed up says:

How can this "update rollup" package break so many things?  It has completely hosed everything in my MCE, now I am having to jump through many many hoops to get things back up (this fix, command line component registration).  The ehome IR transceiver still has a yellow exclamation mark in device manager.  How did this turkey of an update ever get released?  I’m about ready to switch to mythTV.

19. Hi Fed Up – I’m very sorry that you have experienced these issues while trying to get Update Rollup 2 installed and working correctly.  For the IR transceiver issue, I would suggest downloading the latest driver update from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b39d53f1-0ac9-433b-b488-4cab82f31dc8&DisplayLang=en, and if that does not help, please try the suggestions listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/24/484423.aspx.

20. Rafe Roberts-Taylor says:

Hi, I cannot get to Rollup 2 – it doesn’t appear on the ‘MS Update list’. Npr can I install any other (MCE specific), updates – they fail, citing ‘wrong operating system’.

I AM running MCE 2005!

I’m tearing my hair out here, any ideas?

21. Hi Rafe – Can you please check and see what the value of the following registry key is on your system?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionMedia Center]

Ident

This value should exist and be set to 3.0 or 3.1 in order for Update Rollup 2 setup to install correctly.

22. Henrik says:

I have uninstalled KB904706, but i still can’t install Rollup 2. I just get the same generic error that i used to get.

23. Hi Henrik – It sounds like you might be running into a different error than the one described in this blog post.  Can you please use the instructions at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx to gather and send me the Update Rollup 2 setup log files so I can try to help figure this issue out?

24. Nick says:

Ok, I have read this article countless times and still cannot get it working. First off yesterday when i tried uninstalling KB904706 i couldnt because it said it couldnt be uninstalled. So, i went and uninstalled it in the NT uninstall folder then rebooted. After that i installed it again then uninstalled it normally through Add/Remove, and tried Rollup 2 still nothing. Gives me the Prequesition error. So now im really in a jam and completely clueless. What is another step i can take here?

25. Hi Nick – Can you please use the instructions at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx to gather and send me the Update Rollup 2 setup log files so I can try to help figure this issue out?

26. Nick says:

Ok, the email has been sent.

27. I have previously written about a couple of instances where Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center…

28. Winston says:

If you cannot uninstall 904706, then boot into safe mode and manually delete c:windowssystem32quartz.dll.  It will be replaced by the Update 2 installation.  You an then install the 904706 hotfix.  Works like a champ.

29. I have heard from many customers over the past months who have had issues installing Update Rollup 2…

30. Josh says:

Uninstalling quartz.dll in safe mode did not allow me to install Update Rollup 2 and I still cannot uninstall KB904706. Any other suggestions??

31. Hi Josh – Can you please try the suggestions at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/06/14/631899.aspx and see if they help in this scenario?

32. bowbiter says:

Just wanted to say thanks for this blog.  Same issue was happening to me and worked great 🙂

33. This article serves as a central location for all links to troubleshooting documentation that has been

34. I have previously written about a couple of instances where Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center

35. selvidge420 says:

It seems the update KB904706 was preinstalled on my pc.  I have attempted to download and install the update again to try to get it to offer removal, but no luck.  Any ideas?

36. Hi Selvidge420 – There are a couple of options you can try here.  I’ve listed the options in the order that I suggest you try them in the blog post at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/06/14/631899.aspx.  Can you please take a look and see if any of those help in your scenario?

37. Aardvark says:

I just ran into this problem myself having repaired my sister and brother-in-law’s PC.  When I run the Update Rollup 2 it is failing.  I followed the instructions and removed KB904706.  However, it is still failing.  I checked KB891593.log and I see the following error:

25.890: —- Old Information In The Registry ——

25.906: Source:C:WINDOWSsystem32SET14.tmp (6.5.2600.2709)

25.906: Destination:C:WINDOWSsystem32quartz.dll (6.5.2600.2180)

25.906: —- New Information In The Registry ——

25.906: Source:C:WINDOWSsystem32SET14.tmp (6.5.2600.2709)

25.906: Destination:C:WINDOWSsystem32quartz.dll (6.5.2600.2180)

25.906: UpdateSpUpdSvcInf: Source [ProcessesToRunAfterReboot] section is empty; nothing to do.

25.906: IsRebootRequiredForFileQueue: At least one file operation was delayed; reboot is required.

If none are listed below, check above for delayed deletes.

25.906: IsRebootRequiredForFileQueue: c:windowssystem32quartz.dll was delayed; reboot is required.

25.906: DoInstallation: A reboot is required to complete the installation of one or more files.

25.906: In Function SetVolatileFlag, line 11576, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2

25.906: In Function SetVolatileFlag, line 11593, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2

25.922: UpdateSpUpdSvcInf: Source [ProcessesToRunAfterReboot.RebootNotRequired] section is empty; nothing to do.

26.078: RebootNecessary = 1,WizardInput = 1 , DontReboot = 1, ForceRestart = 0

Now there had been a problem right after the repair that required me to open the permissions on the WindowsUpdate key due to the inabililty to install Windows Installer 3.1.  I suspect some other key is write protected but without a key defined in the log file I haven’t a clue what to look for.

38. Hi Aardvark – That is strange, this log snippet doesn’t seem to show any errors that would cause setup to fail.  If you suspect registry permission issues, you can try to use the SubInAcl tool described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/solving-setup-errors-by-using-the-subinacl-tool-to-repair-file-and-registry-permissions.aspx and hopefully this will help resolve this issue.

If that doesn’t help, you can also use the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/22/604380.aspx to manually install the pieces of Update Rollup 2, but skip step 7 since KB891593 is failing on this system.

39. Home of Jait says:

Today, I learned a very important lesson about asking for help. I’m the type of guy who prefers to find the answers to problems myself. At work, that normally isn’t a problem. There, I really do have to figure something out myself or don’t have a pro

40. TRBMan says:

i can not get the rollup to install 🙁

it fails at the 891593 update.

i’ve checked your blog, but the update you suggest removing is not installed on my computer.

please help.

41. Hi TRBMan – Can you please use the instructions listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx to gather and send me log files from Update Rollup 2 setup so I can take a look and see if I can figure anything out?  My email address is listed in that blog post.

42. ach54 says:

Hello Aaron,

I Recently bought a Zune but am having trouble Using the Zune set up software due to my computer not having the roll up 2. I’ve tried this method but i’ve had no success doing it on my own. I uninstalled Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706)

After i did i restarted and tried to install the roll up 2 but as usual it doesn’t make any progress even after i leave the computer alone while it tries to install for 1 hour sometimes and the page Im using (Internet Explorer 7) Always freezes up and leaves to have to use Windows task manager to close it and restart.

I can post the %windir%kb891593.log here if needed but i wanted to see if you saw any problems with the above before looking into it further. or i’ll just have to resort to installing it individually.

43. Hi Ach54 – There are several possible points of failure for Update Rollup 2 setup.  The best way to narrow this down is if you can zip and send me the log files from the list at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx.  My email contact information is in that blog post as well.

44. thetrujazzaman says:

I am having the same problem with rollup 2. I get as far as it is installing it and it just stops and says it has failed. I have the sytem log of what is going on if it helps. But i need help please!

Generic Package:   09/30/07. 20:51:04

Looking for existing install of the generic package

Generic Package:   09/30/07. 20:51:35

Looking for existing install of the generic package

Creating Process: WindowsMedia10-KB895572-x86.exe /quiet /norestart

Process returned 0x00000643

Function (ExecCmdInThread) Post Message for Package id :   1045.

11:41:07 PM : Silent Install.

11:41:07 PM : No reboot.

11:41:07 PM : Checking admin account.

11:41:07 PM : Checking .Net Framework 1.1 and SP1 installed .

11:41:07 PM : Checking only instance of installer.

11:41:07 PM : Checking (correct version of MCE OS)

11:41:07 PM : Verifying hard drive space.

11:41:07 PM : 38255349760 free space

11:41:07 PM : Verifying EULA is present.

11:41:07 PM : Initializing installation packages.

11:41:07 PM : Start conditions met.

11:41:08 PM : Initializing 1st package.

11:41:08 PM : Install package 1 [Hotfix for Windows XP (KB895572)].

11:41:11 PM : Install package 2 [Hotfix for Windows XP (KB895572)].

The update to Media Center was not successful. The computer will now be restarted and restored to the state it was in before the update. Please try the installation again, or contact your hardware manufacturer for assistance if the problem persists.

11:41:11 PM : Not rebooting the machine.

11:41:11 PM : Checking Exit Code.

11:41:11 PM : MCinstaller returned exit code – 1603

11:41:11 PM : Exiting

45. Hi Thetrujazzman – The best way to narrow this down is if you can zip and send me the log files from the list at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx.  My email contact information is in that blog post as well.

46. kyi561 says:

I have an odd one, I was able to rename quartz.dll and remove KB904706 but to by surprise I noticed KB891593 listed and it says it cannot be uninstalled.

Logs as suggested here:  http://www.6nx.com/mcelogs.zip

Any would be greatly appreciated.

47. Hi Kyi561 – According to the logs located in this zip file, you’re running into the issue that I described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/07/29/682936.aspx.  I’d suggest starting by trying the workaround listed there to see if it helps in this scenario.

If that doesn’t help, then I’d suggest trying the manual install steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/22/604380.aspx, but skip the prerequisite packages that end up failing to install on your system.

Hopefully this will help.