How to fix component registration failures after installing Update Rollup 2 for Media Center 2005

Since I posted the instructions for gathering setup log files for Update Rollup 2 for Media Center 2005 and asked folks to send the logs to me, I have gotten several sets of logs.  I’m still looking through some of the issues to try to figure them out (and I apologize for the slow replies to those of you who have not heard back from me yet).  There is one issue that I’ve now seen on multiple customer machines that I wanted to post a workaround for in case anyone else runs into it in the future.

What are the symptoms of this issue?

For this particular problem, customers have reported the following types of problems while using Media Center after upgrading to Update Rollup 2:

• A Component Registration Failure error appears while trying to navigate to My TV.  The text of the error message states “Some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt. Media Center component registration may have failed.”
  • A Critical Process Failure error appears while trying to configure an internet connection during first run.  The text of the error message states “A critical Media Center process has unexpectedly failed. If problems persist, please restart your machine and try again, or contact technical support. Code: 3”
  • A Tuner Not Found error appears while trying to setup a TV signal during first run
  • Errors related to the Media Center Guide in the application event log

How do I know if this issue is the one affecting my machine?

The machines I have seen that have had these problems so far have had errors logged in %windir%\medctroc.log.  This log is appended to during every Media Center setup action, so you have to find the section that corresponds to the registration that happens at the end of Update Rollup 2 setup.  To find this, you can search for the string 5.1.2710.2732.  There should be multiple instances of this string in this log file.  You will need to find the entry that is followed a few lines later by a line stating Will run in registration mode.

Once you have found the Update Rollup 2 registration section, look for the group of commands labeled Removing existing native assemblies…  In each of the cases I have seen so far, there are entries in this section like the following:

Executing line “C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\ngen.exe /nologo /delete ehiwmp”
 Warning: Process Return Value is 0xc0000139 –> (null)
 Error: Failed to apply command to ehiwmp (return value: 0xc0000139).

Then you should see another entry in the log file during this same registration session that states:

Encountered errors during registration of Windows Media Center.  Please see {C:\WINDOWS\medctroc.Log} for details.

How can I workaround this issue?

If you have the above entries in your %windir%\medctroc.log file, you can do the following to repair your computer:

1. Download and reinstall the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
  2. Go to the Start menu, choose Run and type cmd.
  3. From the cmd prompt, run %windir%\ehome\medctrro.exe /o /p RunOnce to re-run Update Rollup 2 registration code.  This command will not display any UI, so you will have to keep track of the process in Task Manager to know for sure when it completes.

4. After the process in step 3 completes, restart your computer to complete the Media Center registration process.

What is the root cause of this issue?

There are a couple of problems that cause this issue.  The first is a logic problem with the setup registration program (%windir%\ehome\medctrro.exe).  When it encounters an error like the NGEN error listed above, it continues until it is done processing managed assemblies but then it stops without performing the rest of the registration steps.  This means that the machine is left in the state where new assemblies from Update Rollup 2 are added to the GAC, but the ehSched and ehRecvr services and the ehRec and ehMsas executables are unregistered.  These services and COM servers are used for a lot of functionality inside of Media Center, particularly TV.  Therefore if they are left in an unregistered state, MCE fails in many places.

The second issue is that the command to run NGEN is failing with an unexpected error code 0xc0000139 in some cases.  This error code means “entry point not found” but I have not been able to reproduce this on one of my test machines so I don’t understand exactly why this error is appearing.  I have asked a couple of folks who hit this problem to try running the NGEN commands directly to see if they give more descriptive error messages.  I will update this blog post when I know more about the root cause of NGEN failing in these scenarios.

<update date=”10/20/2005″> We have found one root cause of this type of error, and I have posted a description and a simpler workaround for this error in this blog post </update>

<update date=”10/30/2005″> It appears that the link to the simpler workaround isn’t being found in the update text, so I’ve updated the workaround to contain the steps from my newer blog post to avoid confusion </update>

<update date=”1/12/2010″> Added a note about rebooting at the end of the registration process. </update>

1. Ian says:

I have had the exact problem, I will try your idea tonight and let you know.

I will also point people here on this weeks Media Center Show if they are having any problems

2. Als says:

When I ran into this, running ngen from the command line gave:

ngen.exe – Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point GetRequestedRuntimeVersion could not be located in

the dynamic link library mscoree.dll

I reinstalled .net sp 1 and ngen started to work.

3. Wouter says:

Aaron,

Thanks !!! Just when I was getting desperate, this did the trick for me.

Wouter

4. Tony S. says:

Any idea if maybe this is caused by doing updates over Remote Desktop? I have this same issue, and that’s what i did… wondering if maybe there is a way to get to the root of the problem and that’s the only thing I did.

I also use DVI output and when I got home after the updates/reboot over RDP, it was using the wrong monitor all of a sudden.

5. Jim S. says:

Two machines have been crippled by the rollup 2. An HP z545 and an oem built box. Tried the fixes here but still no go. The first two Regasm lines return an error suggesting insufficient right to edit registry even though I have full Administrator rights on both machines. Any other ideas?

Problem: After installing rollup 2 no tuner error and receiver errors occur. Even if I totally uninstall rollup 2 the machine is still crippled as a media player. (I can still use Sage TV, etc. so the tuner is OK except in MCE). Before this rollup 2 both systems were ok.

6. Stephanie says:

I am having the exact same problem and no one from tech support for my computer was able to help me. I will definitely follow your instructions to see if I can fix the problem.

Thanks!

7. twright says:

Yes! That fixed the problem. You are the man Andrew!

Anytime you have a problem with Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) email me – I owe you one.

-from a fellow ‘softie.

8. Hi,

Been working for hours trying to fix this and then thought I’d just type in the error messages into Google and this came up right away.

Very many thanks for the fix – I just cut and pasted all your run commands into the command box and – hey presto – it all worked again. My hero!

Many thanks – and shouldn’t MS be recognising this as a BIG issue???

I did a whole raft of upgrades the day I did the new MCE rollup and was convinced it was the new ATI graphics driver causing the problem, and spent HOURS uninstalling and re-installing it – to no avail of course.

Peter

9. Chris says:

Thanks for the fix! You are absolutely the best. I had this problem after installing the MS rollup update. You saved me from going through the entire troubleshooting procedure.

Hooah!

Chris

10. Ned Fields says:

Dude, you rock !!! Many thanks for your efforts. As others before me, I followed your instructions to the letter, copy and paste to the command prompt. MCE is now working like a champ. AWESOME !

11. Cynthia says:

Thank you for your solution. I tried it and it solved the problem.

12. T-Will says:

I have an HP Pavillion Media Center PC and had this problem. After running through the steps above it seems to be working fine. Thanks!

13. Jenny says:

Yet another happy customer. Your fix worked great. THANK YOU – THANK YOU – THANK YOU!!!

One idea about why this happens on some machines and not others – I upgraded on two different MCE machines and the problem occurred on one machine, but not on the other.

1) MCE 2004 machine that I upgraded via the OEM provided MCE 2005 upgrade – this problem occurred.

2) MCE 2005 machine – this problem did not occur

Both machines had MCE rollup 1 installed via update

14. Jayman says:

Exact problem. Exact fix. Many thanks. ~Jayman

15. Mark says:

Just thought Iโ€™d add my name to list of thanks for this fix, I was starting to pull my hair out. How MS expect MCE to go main stream when people have to jump through hoops just to get an update to work properly is beyond me. Hopefully MCE Vista will be better, thanks again. Mark

16. Mike Smith says:

Another greatful reader. Microsoft – shame on you for not fixing this on your own.

17. HappyWife says:

Aaron,

Thanks,You fix worked perfectly, my wife was gonna kill me if I couldn’t record Survivor!

18. Cyrus says:

Hey thanks for the valuable information. Fixed my computer fast by myself and did not have to hastle with tech suppport.

19. Ken Hsu says:

I am seeing the same error when I install rollup 2. Halfway through the installation I get an AV in something called ‘DRM Migration’ (you know when a dialog comes up and tells you something has gone wrong and it needs to be closed?) – and after I closed it, windows update continues to install the rollup 2 and didn’t complain about having an error. Then when I launch MCE after that, I get the component not registered error when I go to MyTV.

I am going to try your fix now and see if it works… let’s hope it does, otherwise I guess I will have to uninstall it again…

20. Hi Ken – before you try to uninstall again can you please use the steps at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx to gather log files and send them to me at aaronste@microsoft.com so we can take a look?

21. Paul B says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU… That’s the last time i try to keep up to date with windows updates…. if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…. GRRR.

22. Mickie S says:

Perfect! Easy to follow instructions (though I didn’t understand it all) that worked the first time! THANKS!!

23. kleinum says:

"No tuner fault" appeared also to me. I ran the Rollup 2 over again, received the same DRM Migration error, but it all worked after this. No need to run NET 1.1 SP1….. Thanx

24. Tomcat says:

THANK YOU! You saved my MCE PC! THANK YOU!

25. Leo Acropolis says:

Aaron – do you think this could solve my problem? I’m getting very frustrated by the Hauppauge PVR150 MCE in my PC. I’m running the latest PVR150 MCE driver from their website.

Every time I reboot the PC, it tells me it can no longer find the TV card and can get no signal. So, each time, I have to laboriously run through the wizard again to setup the tuner card. I’m running the latest drivers on all hardware, the latest BIOS and Windows Updates for MCE 2005.

FYI, I have:

Telewest Digital – Pace 1000 STB

Shuttle SB83G5M Bare bones PC

Pentium 4 630 – 3.00GHz 775Pin 800FSB 2MB

Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 MCE (OEM)

Sapphire ATI X800 XL 256Mb DVI PCIe

I’ve done a complete re-install TWICE, in the hope that it would solve the problem. I’ve also tried setting up additional admin users on the PC in the hope that it is something to do with permissions. No luck. Please can you give me some suggestions?

26. Ben Lindelof says:

I’ll try it too!

My hp m376n had the same problem.  I’ve had to call MS a couple times because everytime I install it re-activates.

And they want to know why?!?! lol

27. bob says:

worked for me- home built, nvidia and hauppauge tuners.

Boy was my girlfriend going to be unhappy if we had 2 days without tv…

28. DoneThat2 says:

None of these fixes have worked for me.  I have a HP zd8000 with HP Dual TV Tuner made by Adaptec – AVC-3610, 256mb ATI Mobility Radeon x600 graphics card, all updated, and I constantly lose my tuner for absolutely no reason.  I’ve done 2 reformats and sent the whole notebook back to HP (with another reformat!) and they still have no idea why this happens.  Is there any hope?  Would it help if I bought a new tuner?

29. DoneThat2 says:

Let me qualify the new tuner purchase option:  I have already received a replacement HP tuner, and the same problem happens, so I would consider a different make tuner if it would help.

30. Schnook says:

I was having this error.  I searched for it on the Microsoft Support page and there was nothing there.  I finally found this and it fixed it!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!

Also this seemed to happen after I ran and installed the most recent windows updates.

(4/26/06)

31. guyhel@sympatico.ca says:

Hi Aaron,

I wrote a couple of months ago about problems with RU2. You kindly looked at my logs and could not find the problem. For your information, since that I updated my MCE with every updates available, and for some I get the message "DRM Migrate.exe error…".

32. Hi Guyhel – I am not sure when you installed all available updates, but there is a fairly recent hotfix that fixes some DRM issues that you might want to try to install if you haven’t already.  You can find more info about it at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913800/en-us.  Hopefully this will help.

33. Anders S says:

Hey ..Really worked . Was looking at hours of reinstalling the OS. Done in just a few minutes. Thx a lot ๐Ÿ™‚

34. Hi EnEm – If your tuner cards are correctly installed and visible in Device Manager, and you have updated drivers, then there might be some other application or service that is taking control of the tuners and thereby preventing Media Center from using them.

You might also want to use the Media Center Diagnostics kit to validate that the tuners are Media Center-compatible.  You can install the diagnostics kit from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ce06d6a7-de56-4d82-bf5f-6f6e1296a934&DisplayLang=en.

35. Guyhel says:

Hi Aaron.

Thanks a lot for the follow up. Unfortunalety, I’ve already installed this new hotfix, but I still have the message "DRM migrate.exe error…" during installation, and at boot, the same message about ehrecvr.exe.

I will continue to use WinDVD recorder, but I miss a lot the MCE interface and capabilities.

Guylain

36. droplogic says:

Dude, you’re officially my hero! lol I’ve been struggling with this damn problem for 3 days now. Unfortunately I didn’t have those errors in the logs that you pointed out. I tried the M$ "fix" of reinstalling the framework, then reinstalling the update rollup, but it still didn’t work.

For anyone still having problems… What ended up working was, reinstalling the framework, then uninstalling the Update Rollup 2 in add/remove programs. Then doing the "%windir%ehomemedctrro.exe /o /p RunOnce" command. Works awesome now!

37. Hi Guyhel – I am not sure about the cause of the error that you’re seeing.  You might want to try the workarounds for DRM errors listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/513660.aspx and see if they help in this scenario.

38. tiki_at_YB says:

Thanks for the fix, it worked perfectly.

39. WillDeed says:

Hey Aaron,

Great site.  It’s the only site I’ve found that I feel like I’m getting close to fixing my problem.  I’m getting the "Tuner Not Found" error, but my MedCtrOC.log file doesn’t error out at the same point as in your guide.  I get this error:

Executing line "C:WINDOWSsystem32regsvr32.exe /s C:WINDOWSsystem32encdec.dll"

Warning: Process Return Value is 0x00000003 –> The system cannot find the path specified.

Error: Failed to apply command to encdec.dll (return value: 0x00000003).

I checked to make sure C:windowssystem32encdec.dll existed and it does.  I’ve tried reinstalling .NET framework 1.1 SP1 and tried reinstalling Update Rollup 2 and re-running the Update Rollup 2 registration code to no avail.  My tuner card is a Hauppauge WinTV PVR150.  Also, ehrecvr and ehsched are both running.

Any ideas?

40. Hi WillDeed – That is strange that you are getting a file not found error even though encdec.dll is in %windir%system32 on your computer.  Is the file regsvr32.exe present on your system also?  If so, what happens if you click on the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd, and then type %windir%system32regsvr32 /s %windir%system32encdec.dll and try to register it manually?

41. Blee says:

yea.. that didn’t do anything, and i’m in the same situation

42. Hi Blee – Can you please try the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/02/17/534559.aspx and see if they help solve this issue?  If not, can you please gather and send me the log files listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx so I can try to take a look and see if I can figure anything out?

43. astoria says:

I got the same problem. This doesn’t solve my problem, however ๐Ÿ™

I tried to manually register, and the error I found in the log is:

GACAssembliesAddRemove: Failed to uninstall assembly (Microsoft.MediaCenter)

Error removing existing DLLs from the GAC…

Any ideas? Thanks.

44. Hi Astoria – This is likely an issue similar to the ones I have posted at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/03/18/554544.aspx or http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/11/14/492779.aspx, but I would need to gather some more information from your system to be able to tell for sure what product is causing this issue.

Can you please use the following steps to gather a verbose log file of installed components on your system?

1.  Download the tool MsiInv from http://www.huydao.net/setup/msiinv.zip

2.  Extract the contents to c:msiinv on your system that has this install problem

3.  Click on the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK

4.  Type c:msiinvmsiinv.exe -v > c:msiinvmsiinv_output.txt

5.  Zip the file c:msiinvmsiinv_output.txt and send it to me at Aaron.Stebner (at) Microsoft (dot) com so I can take a look

45. This article serves as a central location for all links to troubleshooting documentation that has been

46. hausnelis says:

Worked like a charm, thanks for your help!!

47. syxxnet says:

Dude! This has been plaguine me for months and your fix worked like a charm!

BUT…

I’ve run into another problem.

Now when I try to exit MCE, it hangs the computer and I have a great deal of difficulty getting out of it. It never did that before, so i’m not sure where to go next.

I actually had to unplug the computer to get out of it the second time I tried it. Any suggestions?

48. Hi Syxxnet – I haven’t heard of this kind of performance issue with Media Center before, so I’m not really sure what to suggest.  Does the system hang completely, or does exiting Media Center just take a long time on this system?  Do you see any entries in your application event log around the time that you attempt to close Media Center that might explain the delay?  Also, does it happen only in certain cases (such as when you try to close while live TV is playing or something like that), or does it happen no matter what you were previously doing within Media Center?

49. mkmcgregor says:

Was working fine with latest patches as of Sept ’06. Moved and was in storage for 3 1/2 months. Fired up and stupidly applied patches. Tuners no longer found/recognized messing when starting TV in Settings. WinTV2000 Hauppague application happily finds the card. FOund this site. Ran "medctrro.exe" fix listed above. Tuner error is gone. Now I get a "A critical media center … Code 3" error. Any thoughts on were to look next? It did appear to fix the tuner failuer; one of the services now starts and the tuner error is now gone. It only takes one bad thing to make you hate a product.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or info.

50. Hi Mkmcgregor – Can you please use the instructions listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx to gather, zip and send me a list of log files from your system so I can take a look and see if I can figure out how to resolve this issue on your system?

51. Since the Windows Vista public launch in January 2007, I have been receiving questions more frequently

52. computerflyer says:

I had the classic "….Code 3" error and reinstalled net 1.1 and ran the rereg line as instructed.  The result is that MCE still cannot find a tuner card (DVICO DVB-T) but there is no longer a Code 3 in the error. All works fine w/DVICO’s Fusion software, but…

Nothing else I am aware of is running that should get in the way (ie the DVICO fusion tray is disabled).  MCE diagnostics confirm everything is MCE compatible.

Any further ideas?  I am emailing the log files.  FWIW it did work once upon a time ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks, CF

53. Hi Computerflyer – Thank you for sending me your log files via email.  I donโ€™t see any errors at the end of the medctroc.log that you sent me, but I see the following in the ehshell.crash file:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070424): The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

That means that one or more of the Media Center services isnโ€™t registered correctly, which will definitely cause problems when trying to launch Media Center.  Can you please try the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/02/17/534559.aspx and see if they help at all in this scenario?

54. computerflyer says:

Thank you so much.  That worked ๐Ÿ™‚

Best Regards, CF

55. mwalker82 says:

I’m totally computer illiterate and this worked for me. I can’t thank you enough. You are a life saver!

56. amelia68 says:

Thanks for your help.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Amy

57. djwhy60 says:

Ok…I am going to sound like an idiot..how do you run the %windir%ehomemedctrro.exe /o /p RunOnce from the command prompt? I have tried what I know but can’t get it to run. No laughing please. Thank you ahead of time!

58. Hi Djwhy60 – Here is exactly what I do to run this command, hopefully this will be something that you’ll be able to figure out on your system as well:

1.  Click on the Windows start menu, choose Run, type cmd in the run box and click OK.  This will open a cmd prompt window

2.  In the cmd prompt window, type this exact text:  %windir%ehomemedctrro.exe /o /p RunOnce

3.  Press enter to run the command

4.  Wait for it to finish – it will not display any text in the cmd prompt while it is working, and it will not display any UI dialogs either.  To tell that it is working, you can look in Task Manager, or look at the file c:windowsmedctroc.log – that is the log file it uses while it is working.

Hopefully this helps.

59. marnewton says:

I got the following error messages in Media Center Edition 2005/Update Rollup 2 after installing:

Windows XP Service Pack 3

or one of the following:

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB952287)

Security Updates for Windows XP (KB951748, KB951698, KB951376, KB952954, KB951066, KB950974, KB950762, KB946648, KB951376-v2)

I don’t know which.

‘Component Registration Failure – Some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt. Media Center component registration may have failed’

‘Critical Process Failure – A critical Media Center process has unexpectedly failed. If problems persist, please restart your machine and try again, or contact Technical Support. Code: 3’

Your fix worked perfectly, very many thanks to you,

Martin

60. ringwraith says:

This looks like exactly the fix I need, I am experiencing the same symptoms as described.  It may have started with SP3, which I have uninstalled.

My problem with the suggested fix is that I am unable to reinstall .NET Framework 1.1 SP1

I get a Fatal Execution Engine Error (0x7925e104), followed by: Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process id=0x17fc(6140), Thread id=0x13f4 (5108)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

61. Hi Ringwraith – I’m sorry for the hassles that this issue is causing for you.  I’d suggest trying the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/07/8108332.aspx to remove the .NET Framework 1.1 entirely and then attempt to re-install both the .NET Framework 1.1 and 1.1 SP1.  Hopefully this helps.

62. ringwraith says:

Thank you Aaron for your suggestions and the most useful link.  I understand more about the framework installs now.

I tried uninstalling the Framework 1.1 entirely, using the cleanup_tool

I re-installed 1.1 without any issues afterwards.

However, as soon as I tried installing the SP1, which is the patch that I believe will fix my Media Center video error, it gave me the same Fatal Execution Engine Error

Puzzled…

63. Hi Ringwraith – I’m not sure why this error would still be happening during .NET 1.1 SP1 setup.  There are a couple of things you can try next:

1.  There are several suggestions listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2004/11/23/268934.aspx that can help to troubleshoot .NET 1.1 SP1 installation issues

2.  You can try to download, extract and manually run the patch for .NET 1.1 SP1 by doing the following:

a) Download .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a8f5654f-088e-40b2-bbdb-a83353618b38&displaylang=en and save it to your hard drive

b) Extract the contents of the service pack by running NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe /Xp:%temp%netfxsp.msp

c) Go to %temp% and double-click on netfxsp.msp to attempt to apply it directly

Hopefully one of these will help.

64. blahskippy says:

Hi Aaron,

I am getting the same error (component registration failure and tuner error) on both of my media center 2005 computers.  I have update rollup 2 installed on both. I have reinstalled framework 1.1 and tried to reinstall rollup 2, but I also get the error that the update to media center was not successful.  I have gone into control panel and uninstalled KB904706 and then tried reinstalling update rollup 2 and it still says its unsucessful. I have also tried your workaround and that does not work either. Please help. I don’t know what else to do.

65. Hi Blahskippy – Have you tried these workaround steps yet?

1.  Download and reinstall the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 (from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a8f5654f-088e-40b2-bbdb-a83353618b38&displaylang=en)

2.  Go to the Start menu, choose Run and type cmd

3.  From the cmd prompt, run %windir%ehomemedctrro.exe /o /p RunOnce to re-run Update Rollup 2 registration code

If this still does not help, then I’d suggest looking at the end of the log file named %windir%medctroc.log and see if there are any warnings or errors being reported during the command line from step 3 above.

66. kcs says:

Greetings, and thanks for the great blog.

Quick question: I reinstalled the .NET Framework 1/1 SP1, but when I type %windir%ehomemedctrro.exe /o /p RunOnce at the command prompt it says the system cannot find the path specified. Do I need to be in a particular folder for this to run?

67. Hi Kcs – No, you should not need to be in a specific folder to run that command because it lists the full path to this file.  Does your system have the file medctrro.exe in the folder %windir%ehome?  (note – %windir% is an environment variable and it will resolve to a folder like c:windows depending on where you have your OS installed).  If that file is missing from your system, then you need to restore it before this command will work.  Here are some steps that can be used to restore Windows OS files:

1.  Click on the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK

2.  Run this command:  sfc /scannow

3.  Wait for it to finish – it will take a while and if it finds any missing files, it will likely ask you to insert your original Windows OS installation disc

Hopefully this helps.

68. mpenteco says:

Hello Aaron,

My symptoms are very similar, but I am not getting the error on ‘…delete..ehiwmp’.

Also, after the Critical Process Failure message, I get a "Video Error" message when I try to launch TV.  I am not seeing the "Tuner Not Found" message.

This occurred after installing Service Pack 3 for Windows XP MCE.

In my case, after running the four steps you have listed in this thread, there are two suspicious areas in the MedCtrOC.log file.

Initialize in Registration mode: 10/23/08 09:21:55

——————————————————

Successfully created configuration mutex "MCEConfigInProgress"

Opening inf file ‘C:WINDOWSinfmcdftreg.inf’

SetupFindFirstLine failed: The section EHome_Self_Registering might be empty: 0xe0000102

Under "Adding existing DLLs to the GAC…"

GACAssembliesAddRemove: Added (C:WINDOWSeHomeMicrosoft.MediaCenter.dll) to the GAC

GACAssembliesAddRemove: Failed to install assembly (C:WINDOWSeHomeCreateDiscSonicMCEBurnEngine.dll) (error 0x80131107)

Error adding existing DLLs to the GAC…

Initially, I found that SonicMCEBurnEngine.dll did NOT exist in %windir%ehomeCreateDisc so I replaced it and tried the four steps you listed again.  The results are the same.

Do you have any ideas on this one?  I would really appreciate it and trying to avoid restoring to pre-SP3.

Marc

69. Hi MPenteco – The 0x80131107 error that you see in your log is a .NET Framework error that usually means that there is some kind of version mismatch between files within the .NET Framework.  I normally suggest trying to re-install the .NET Framework 1.1 and 1.1 SP1 and then trying to re-run Media Center registration – that is what the steps in this blog will end up doing.

Since you’ve already tried those steps, I’d suggest instead trying to use the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/07/8108332.aspx to remove and then re-install the .NET Framework 1.1 and 1.1 SP1.  After doing that, you can try to run %windir%ehomemedctrro.exe /o /p RunOnce again to see if that helps resolve this error.

70. obxpirate says:

I’ve been trying to update from wmp10 to wmp11 and get a msg saying rollup2 is needed.  Installing gives the errors you note above.  Following your instructions unfortunately don’t solve the problem.  (BTW, I get the same error messages when trying to install XP SP3)

Any ideas based on the following?

My logs show a different set of errors.  Such as,

Self-registering assemblies…

——————————-

No file to process in inf section [EHome_Self_Registering]

Executing line "C:WINDOWSsystem32regsvr32.exe /s C:WINDOWSsystem32WSTRenderer.ax"

Warning: Process wait timed out

By command-line parameter, won’t pre-jitt the assemblies.

GACAssembliesAddRemove: Failed to uninstall assembly (ehepgdat)

Error removing existing DLLs from the GAC…

71. Hi ObxPirate – Can you please gather all of your Update Rollup 2 setup log files, zip them, post them to a file server and then reply back here with the location so I can take a look?  You can find a list of the log files at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/16/481689.aspx.

72. obxpirate says:

Thx for the reply.  Hope this works.  I ran your script and sent (what I think are) the files zipped to your email address given at the link you provided.  I also zipped and added the original text log from the rollup install just in case.  I would not classify myself as an expert user, so pls do not hesitate to point me in the right direction if I’m off a bit.

73. Hi Obxpirate – The file c:windowsmedctroc.log that you sent me shows the following error that will cause Update Rollup 2 registration to fail:

GACAssembliesAddRemove: Failed to uninstall assembly (ehRecObj)

The most common cause Iโ€™ve seen of this type of error is some other program being installed on your system that adds an additional reference count to this assembly, which will cause uninstall to fail because the other program still needs the file.  In order to see if that is the problem on your system, can you please run the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/434814.aspx, except instead of running msiinv.exe โ€“p, please run msiinv.exe โ€“v so it will generate a verbose log.  Then please zip and post your log file from that tool (c:msiinvmsiinv_output.txt) on a file server and reply back here with a link so I can take a look.

74. obxpirate says:

Thanks for taking the time to help with this.  I am away from the computer in question at the moment, but will do as you suggest asap.

75. obxpirate says:

OK, back at it.  msiinv  -v results sent to your email.

76. obxpirate says:

For sake of a complete post list, last night I tried stopping the WebGuide process tree, then reinstalled Rollup 2 and .net framework 1.1 sp1, then re-ran the registration code from the cmd prompt.  Unfortunately, it was unsuccessful and I rolled mce 2005 back to pre-install.

77. pavilonzd8000 says:

I did what you said to do, yet every time that I restart my computer, it tries to reinstall the driver for my hp dual tv tuner (adaptec avc-3610).  Once it is finished I get a continuous stream of "media center receiver service has encountered a problem…" as well as a "tuner not installed" message when I try to watch TV in Media Center.  I am running Windows XP Media Center with a HP Pavilion zd8000 and the above mentioned tuner box. Any help is much apprecieated.

78. Hi Pavilonzd8000 – I’d suggest searching on the HP web site for updated drivers for you TV tuner card.  After installing updated drivers, I’d suggest trying to use the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/02/17/534559.aspx to re-register the Media Center services on your system.

If these steps don’t help, then I’d suggest posting a question on one of the following forums, and hopefully someone else will have some additional suggestions that they can pass on for you to try:

79. Nicholas says:

Folks, I've had lots of problems with Media Center on XP.  Managed to get it running fine a few weeks ago following various steps above….now I can only run it in full screen mode or minimized to the toolbar.  There is no option for running a small window whilst doing other work.  Not particularly computer literate, any help appreciated.

80. Hi Nicholas – It might help to try to update your video card drivers in this scenario.  If that doesn't help, then I'd suggest posting a question on one of the following forums, and hopefully someone else will have some additional suggestions that they can pass on for you to try:

thegreenbutton.com/…/ShowForum.aspx

81. Ken says:

You ae very much appreciated for assisting those of us who desperately need help to fix these various issues. Ihank you and may God bless you for your helpfulness.