A couple of months ago I posted some instructions about how to repair the OCM version of the .NET Framework 1.1 that ships as part of the OS on Windows Server 2003 (at this location). When I wrote that post, I knew that there would eventually be questions about how to perform a similar repair for the version of the .NET Framework 1.0 that ships as part of the OS on Windows XP Media Center Edition and Tablet PC Edition, but I skipped those instructions at the time because they are more complicated. Yesterday, I came to work and found a comment on one of my blog posts asking that very question, so now it is time to list these steps as well. I apologize in advance for the complicated nature of these steps - I promise that if we knew then what we know now we would have engineered our OCM setup to make this easier.
Here are the steps required to manually repair the .NET Framework 1.0 on Media Center and Tablet PC:
- Delete the registry value netfx under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OC Manager\Subcomponents
- Rename the registry values ServicePackSourcePath and SourcePath located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup to ServicePackSourcePath2 and SourcePath2
- Rename the file netfxocm.dll located at %windir%\system32\dllcache
- Download the file netfxocm.dll (located in the zip file here) and copy it to %windir%\system32\setup. A Windows File Protection error will likely appear shortly after doing this, and for now you can press cancel and ignore it.
- Create a file named netfx_repair.inf that contains the following text (or download it from here):
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
- Open a cmd prompt and run the following command: sysocmgr /i:<full path to netfx_repair.inf>. This will bring up the Windows optional component installer wizard. Press next and installation/repair of the .NET Framework 1.0 component will begin. You will be told that you need your original OS installation disc. Press OK on that dialog.
- After pressing OK, you will be prompted to browse to the location of your OS installation disc. In the browse dialog, you will need to browse to the folder \cmpnents\netfx\i386 on your OS installation disc or network share. Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and Windows XP Media Center Edition include a file named netfx.cab on their installation discs in the \cmpnents\netfx\ sub-folder, and that cab file contains the files needed for the .NET Framework 1.0.
- After optional component setup finishes, rename the registry values ServicePackSourcePath2 and SourcePath2 located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup to ServicePackSourcePath and SourcePath
Note, you can verify that the .NET Framework 1.0 component was repaired by looking at the contents of the log file named %windir%\netfxocm.log. You should see entries towards the end indicating that several files were installed to the GAC, type libraries were re-registered, performance counters were re-registered, etc.
<update date="8/19/2007"> Added more specific details about where to browse for .NET Framework 1.0 source files </update>
<update date="6/24/2009"> Fixed broken download links. </update>