How to locate the cause of error code 1603 in a verbose MSI log file

There is a trick I use very often when trying to figure out why an MSI-based setup is failing that I wanted to share with everyone.  I believe it is commonly known among setup developers and people who have to troubleshoot failed setups, but I could not find any “official” documentation for it.  This trick helps narrow down the root cause of error code 1603, which is a generic catch-all error code that means “fatal error during installation”.  The 1603 error code is returned when any action fails during an installation, and most commonly it indicates that one of the custom actions in the MSI failed.

When I encounter a failed setup with return code 1603, here are the steps that I follow:

1. Re-run the setup with verbose logging enabled using steps similar to those that I listed here (if there is not already a verbose log file available).  Those steps will generate a verbose log file named msi*.log in the %temp% directory the next time the setup package is executed.

Important note – some MSI-based setups, including the .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and higher and Visual Studio, will not create log files named %temp%\msi*.log even if using the instructions listed below.  Please see this blog post for more details about why that is the case and also for a list of some products that I know of that use different log file creation logic and the locations of the log files that they create.

2. Open the verbose log in a text editor such as notepad and search for the string “return value 3”.  In nearly all cases, this takes me to the section in the verbose log that lists the action that failed that initially caused setup to rollback.

3. Review the contents of the log file immediately above the “return value 3” string to determine which custom action or standard action failed.

4. Depending on which action is failing, I will proceed to more detailed debugging from here

I find that the biggest hurdle to debugging a failed setup is often zeroing in on which part of the setup is actually failing, and this trick of searching for “return value 3” ends up helping speed this process up in nearly all cases.  Of course, it does not work in 100% of scenarios.  Notably, if you are running setup on a non-English version of Windows, the string “return value 3” is written to the log file in the language of the operating system instead of in English, so string searches will not work.

Also note that there is an MSI verbose log parsing tool in the Windows Installer PSDK that is also very useful in locating errors inside verbose log files.  You can read more about this parsing tool (called wilogutl.exe) by clicking here.  This tool is more thorough in identifying errors, but most often I end up not using it because it is faster to open the log in notepad and do a string search than it is to load up the parsing tool, browse to the log file, wait for it to parse the whole log and then read the output it produces.

<update date=”1/21/2009″> Added a caveat to these instructions indicating that some setups create their own verbose logs and enabling verbose logging using the Windows Installer logging registry keys will not work as expected for those setups. </update>

1. Anonymous says:

I have had a few customers report problems installing the .NET Framework 2.0 with the following symptoms:…

2. Anonymous says:

3. Anonymous says:

A little while back I described a method of searching for errors in a verbose MSI log file.&amp;nbsp; At…

4. Anonymous says:

5. Ubhatnagar says:

I get an error

[08/23/06,14:41:31] Windows Communication Foundation: ERRORLOG EVENT : Error: Installation failed for component Windows Communication Foundation. MSI returned error code 1603

[08/23/06,14:41:56] WapUI: ERRORLOG EVENT : DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 – was not attempted to be installed.

i followed the steps as above to find the error in msi*.log file. I did not find any "return value 3", instead all where "return value 1". What should I do now?

Any help would be appreciated. I am running WinXP Sp2.

Thanks

Urvashi

6. Hi Ubhatnagar – Can you check and see if you have any error logs named dd_msi.txt in your %temp% directory?  The log file you are currently looking in is not a verbose MSI log, so you will not see "return value 3" in that log.  If you are unable to find the log with the error, please zip and send me any logs named %temp%dd_msi.txt at Aaron.Stebner (at) Microsoft (dot) com and I will try to help you find the root cause.

7. Anonymous says:

I received a mail from a customer this week regarding an installation failure that proved to be fairly…

8. Bahadır Çambel says:

Hi Aaron ,

I’m getting a WFC not found error during the installation of the .Net Framework 3.0 Redist. Pack.

I recently tried to install the WFC , but couldn’t achieved.

Could you please advice ?

Thanks in advance

//——————//

[11/26/06,07:27:10] Windows Workflow Foundation: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Windows Workflow Foundation. MSI returned error code 1603

[11/26/06,07:27:40] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Windows Workflow Foundation is not installed.

[11/26/06,07:27:40] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 was not attempted to be installed.

9. Hi Bahadir – There is a full list of log files produced by the .NET Framework 3.0 setup package at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/10/30/net-framework-3-0-setup-log-files.aspx.

In this case, the log file named %temp%dd_WF_3.0_x86retMSI*.txt should contain the exact error information for this failure.  Can you please check and see if you have this log, and send it to me via email at Aaron.Stebner (at) Microsoft (dot) com so I can take a look and see if I can figure anything out?

10. nirajswaminarayan says:

To resolve this issue, reinstall all .Net 3.0 product by using .Net 3.0 Uninstaller tool.

Open machine.config file of .Net 2.0 Framework and change encoding format from UTF-8 to UTF-16.

11. Anonymous says:

I often get asked questions about how to read, interpret and find error information in verbose Windows

12. Anonymous says:

Rob Mensching, father of Windows Installer XML (WiX), blogs about why managed custom actions are a bad

13. Anonymous says:

14. Anonymous says:

Problems when installing .NET Framework 3.5 (Pre-Release Version)

15. Anonymous says:

Neat Tip To Enable Verbose Installer Logging

16. caranosian says:

I have been trying unsuccessfully to install .NET Framework 3.0 on a clean (newly imaged) Windows XP box with current SP and patches. The machine has Office 2003, Visual Studio.NET and some MSDNs installed. No matter what I have tried I keep getting the error code 1603 message in the log, and a search for info on this led me here.

I followed the verbose logging instructions you provided and recreated the error twice, so I now have 2 of these verbose logs, but neither of them has a "return value 3", so I am not getting anywhere with this.

Can I email them to you to see if there is something else I am missing?

17. Hi Caranosian – The .NET Framework 3.0 creates its own set of logs, so the verbose logging instructions that I provided won’t cause additional logs to be created in this case.  You can find a list of logs created by .NET Framework 3.0 setup at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/10/30/net-framework-3-0-setup-log-files.aspx.  If you have trouble finding the source of the error in those logs, please zip and send them to me and I’ll try to take a look.  You can send them to Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

18. shagpub says:

Hi, I’m having this error when installing .Net Framework 3.0 on Windows XP

Error 25015.Failed to install assembly ‘C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727System.Management.dll’ because of system error: The system cannot find the path specified.

It’s kinda weird since I can see the file there in that folder. Thx you

19. Hi Shagpub – I’d suggest trying the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/11/479928.aspx to clean off and re-install the .NET Framework 2.0, and then hopefully the .NET Framework 3.0 will install correctly after that.

If those steps do not help, then one of the following might also be useful:

20. Anonymous says:

Every once in a while, I hear from a customer who has encountered an error while trying to install Document

21. Anonymous says:

22. Anonymous says:

I often get questions from fellow employees or customers who find my blog regarding how to troubleshoot

23. alvinashcraft says:

Hi Aaron,

Can you tell me what is return code 3? I am getting this return code at the end of the Popfly Explorer beta install when it’s trying to register itself with VS2005. Thanks!

MSI (s) (54:F8) [14:42:39:205]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=Launch_VS_80_DEVENV,ActionType=3122,Source=C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8Common7IDEDevEnv.exe,Target=/setup,)

MSI (s) (54:F8) [14:43:59:273]: Note: 1: 1722 2: Launch_VS_80_DEVENV 3: C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8Common7IDEDevEnv.exe 4: /setup

MSI (s) (54:F8) [14:44:00:927]: Product: Microsoft Popfly Explorer Beta (1.0.30319.0) — Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action Launch_VS_80_DEVENV, location: C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8Common7IDEDevEnv.exe, command: /setup

Action ended 14:44:00: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

24. Hi Alvinashcraft – Return code 3 is a generic error code that is generated when any Windows Installer action fails.  In this case, the devenv.exe /setup custom action is failing during PopFly setup on your system.  That action is designed to register new VS packages, project and item templates.

What I typically do to try to debug that type of failure is to run it manually outside of the setup with logging enabled and see if it fails there.  For example, you can run this:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8Common7IDEDevEnv.exe" /setup /log %temp%devenv_activity.log

Then you can look in %temp%devenv_activity.log to see if there are any errors or warnings.

It is also possible that this will only fail during setup.  If that is the case, you’ll need to try to run it manually with logging enabled during a setup session.  To do that, you’ll need to use the MsiBreak environment variable described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/06/17/430320.aspx.  You need to set the environment variable to Launch_VS_80_DEVENV since that is the action that is failing.  After setting the environment variable, you can run the setup, and when the pop-up dialog appears, you can try to run the same command line I listed earlier to run devenv.exe /setup /log %temp%devenv_activity.log and look for errors and warnings.

Hopefully this helps.

25. Anonymous says:

When I am attempting to investigate a setup-related failure, I typically end up looking at verbose log

26. melamason says:

Hi Aaron,

I have had no luck installing .NET 3.0 on almost half of our domain’s laptops – about 300.  These are my troubleshooting efforts while trying to reinstall:

I have edited the registry to give Everyone full perms to the HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/EventLog/Security/ServiceModel 3.0.0.0 and not been successful.

I have used your cleaning tool successfully, installed incremental versions and SPs up to 2.0 SP1 and the install still fails.

I’ve tried the "full" download dotnexfx3.exe and still failed.

Everything still throws the same error, WCF is not installed…  I turned on verbose logging and in the MSI.log, there is no "return code 3".  There are several dd_wcf_ret MSI.txt files that reference it.  Here is the part of the file that I believe to have info for you:

Error 1402.Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesEventlogSecurityServiceModel 3.0.0.0.  System error 5.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

MSI (s) (A0:C4) [21:27:07:104]: User policy value ‘DisableRollback’ is 0

MSI (s) (A0:C4) [21:27:07:104]: Machine policy value ‘DisableRollback’ is 0

Action ended 21:27:07: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

I’m getting nowhere.  Can you help?

27. Hi Melamason – You sent me some log files via email, and in one of them, I see the 1402 access denied error listed in your comment – in that case, you need to make sure that the local system account and the Administrators group on the computer both have full control over the registry key in question in order to correct the access denied error.

In the other 3 of the log files, I see an error in the ServiceModelReg.exe custom action.  I usually recommend the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/28/8342307.aspx.  For your logs, I’ve already done steps 1-3 in that blog post to narrow down the action that is causing the error, and you’ll need to try steps 4 and 5 to see if you can find the cause of that error.

Hopefully this helps.

28. Ijaas Yunoos says:

Hi Arron,

I am having trouble installing .Net Framework 3.0, i had the same error with framework 3.5 so i did a complete uninstall of previous installations using your cleanup tool. I was able to reinstalled version 2.0 adn 2.0 sp1 but i get the error code 1603 when trying to install 3.0 here is the <a href="http://dporiginals.co.cc/dd_wcf_retMSI47BF.txt">Verbose log</a>. I would greatly apreciate if you could help me out here.

Thanks,

Ijaas

29. Hi Ijaas Yunoos – Your log file shows that the ServiceModelReg custom action is failing on your system, and that causes .NET 3.0 setup to fail.  I have posted some ideas about how to troubleshoot that type of failure at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/28/8342307.aspx.  I’ve already done steps 1-3 for you, so you can skip to step 4.

Alternatively, you can also try to install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 instead of the original 3.5.  The 3.5 SP1 installer will install 3.0 SP2 behind the scenes as a prerequisite, and 3.0 SP2 has some modified setup logic that will not cause the entire installation to fail if this ServiceModelReg custom action fails.

Hopefully one of these helps.

30. Ijaas Yunoos says:

Thanks Arron,

I used the easy method of installing 3.5 Sp1 and it worked.

Thanks.

31. tomas portnoy says:

I did everything I found on the net to resolve this problem but nothing worked!! I’m tired! I’m on it for 3 days now!

I have uninstall all traces of frameworks on my computer (Normal uninstall, then manually uninstall reg keys and folder and then clean up tool) Then I successfully install  Framework 1.0, 2.0 then 2.0 SP1 with all updates and now I can’t install Framework 3.0 or 3.5!

I’m always getting errors and rolling back actions then!

P.S. I have windows XP Pro SP3 with all updates and IIS is not installed.

Her are the Errors for the Net Framework 3.0 Version:

EventType : visualstudio8setup     P1 : 10860

P2 : 3.5.21022.08_orcas_x86_net     P3 : pr     P4 : inst     P5 : f

P6 : gencomp734_{168d82f8-ac6b-4b55-804f-2ae51ac4b     P7 : baseret_failure

P8 : –     P9 : 1603     P10 : –

dd_dotnetfx3error.txt

[01/21/09,17:38:18] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0a. MSI returned error code 1603

[01/21/09,17:39:54] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 x86: [2] Error code 1603 for this component means "Erreur irrécupérable lors de l’installation." ( Traduction "Fatal Error during the installation")

[01/21/09,17:39:54] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 x86: [2] Setup Failed on component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 x86

[01/21/09,17:40:10] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 x86 is not installed.

Here is the Verbose log file:

Here are the errors when I try to install the 3.5 SP1 Version:

EventType : visualstudio8setup     P1 : 35101

P2 : 3.5.30729.01_orcas_x86_net     P3 : mc     P4 : inst     P5 : f

P6 : writeregistryvalues     P7 : –     P8 : 1603     P9 : –

P10 : gencomp780_{12cd

dd_dotnetfx3.5SP1error.txt

[01/21/09,19:17:03] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86. MSI returned error code 1603

[01/21/09,19:19:28] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86 is not installed.

[01/21/09,19:31:05] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86. MSI returned error code 1603

[01/21/09,19:32:04] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86 is not installed.

I would appreciate any help. I’m desperate!

Thank you for all.

32. Hi Tomas Portnoy – The .NET Framework installers configure their own verbose logging, so using the registry key to enable verbose logging and then searching for msi*.log doesn’t work for these setups.  Can you please use the list of log files at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/04/30/8445569.aspx to find the .NET Framework setup log files from your system, and then zip and upload them to a file server so I can try to take a look?

33. tomas portnoy says:

Thank you for respondig so quiclky Aaron. I followed the link you gave me and did everything said in it.

I only did it for the NET Framework 3.5 (Because I almost have the same errors for the 3.0 and I tink the 3.5 installation fail when it’s installing the 3.0 so…)

I found 3 files.

Here is the link.

If you find something to fix it, then you will be a god to me.

Thank you.

34. Hi Tomas Portnoy – Thanks for posting these logs.  There is an additional log file that is needed to narrow down this failure further.  From the logs you posted, this is the name and location of the additional log that we need to look at next:

[01/22/09,20:46:43] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86: Enabling MSI log file: C:DOCUME~1PROLET~1LOCALS~1Tempdd_NET_Framework30_Setup21A2.txt

Can you zip and post that log as well?

35. tomas portnoy says:

Hi Aaron. I take a look at the dd_NET_Framework30_Setup21A2.txt file and searched for the "return value 3" string.

I found it and take another look at the string just above:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 — Erreur 1402. Impossible d’ouvrir la clé HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareClasses.xpsPersistentHandler. Erreur système 5. Vérifiez que vous disposez des droits d’accès nécessaires.

It was saying that the reg key was unable to be open, so i gave me the rights of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareClasses.xps" from the regedit pannel, and the installation goes fine!!

It’s annoying to see how often the keys are restricted even when you’re the administrator!

Thank you for you help sir. I wounldn’t be able to do nothing without your help…

36. Hi Tomas Portnoy – I’m glad to hear that you were about to find the cause of and the fix for this issue.  I agree – it is really unfortunate that ACLs can be removed for the Administrators group like this and can cause installers to fail in very cryptic ways.

37. bmort says:

Hello Aaron,

I am having this same problem! Everytime I try run Visual Studio 2008, I get mass errors and then it loads but I can not create a project.. So I uninstalled and now when I reinstall I get the error!

I have done the verbose logging (I think) which I will email to you.. Any help would be appreciated!

38. Hi BMort – I received an email from you, but the log you sent is not a verbose log file from VS 2008 setup though.  There is an important note listed in the instructions in this blog post, and it links to http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/02/27/7927123.aspx.  That blog post explains that some installers enable their own verbose logging, and when that happens, the technique of enabling logging using the registry value and then looking for msi*.log does not work.  You can find the names and locations of the verbose log files created by VS 2008 setup at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/07/31/4156781.aspx.

39. Anonymous says:

I was working with our product support team on an interesting .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installation failure

40. ZachSmith says:

Here are the results from the verbose MSI log:

MSI (s) (2C!44) [17:39:01:906]: Closing MSIHANDLE (39) of type 790531 for thread 2372

MSI (s) (2C:48) [17:39:02:000]: Closing MSIHANDLE (38) of type 790536 for thread 348

MSI (s) (2C:5C) [17:39:02:062]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=SelfRegModules,Description=Registering modules,Template=File: [1], Folder: [2])

Action 17:39:02: SelfRegModules. Registering modules

MSI (s) (2C:5C) [17:39:02:172]: Executing op: ProgressTotal(Total=3,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=1300000)

MSI (s) (2C:5C) [17:39:02:218]: Executing op: SetTargetFolder(Folder=C:WINDOWSsystem32)

MSI (s) (2C:5C) [17:39:02:265]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=mscoree.dll,FileID=FL_mscoree_dll_____X86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8)

SelfRegModules: File: mscoree.dll, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (2C:5C) [17:39:03:078]: Executing op: SetTargetFolder(Folder=C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.0.3705)

MSI (s) (2C:5C) [17:39:03:140]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=mscordbi.dll,FileID=FL_mscordbi_dll_____X86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8)

SelfRegModules: File: mscordbi.dll, Folder: C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.0.3705

MSI (s) (2C:5C) [17:39:03:359]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=mscorsec.dll,FileID=FL_mscorsec_dll_____X86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8)

SelfRegModules: File: mscorsec.dll, Folder: C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.0.3705

MSI (s) (2C:5C) [17:39:03:546]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=CA_ComRegSystemData.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8,,)

Action 17:39:03: CA_ComRegSystemData.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8.

MSI (s) (2C:5C) [17:39:03:671]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=CA_ComRegSystemData.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=_QuietExec@4,CustomActionData=C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.0.3705RegAsm.exe C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.0.3705System.Data.dll;System.Data.dll;C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.0.3705)

MSI (s) (2C:5C) [17:39:03:750]: Creating MSIHANDLE (40) of type 790536 for thread 348

MSI (s) (2C:28) [17:39:03:812]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:WINDOWSInstallerMSI7D.tmp, Entrypoint: _QuietExec@4

MSI (s) (2C!70) [17:39:03:843]: Creating MSIHANDLE (41) of type 790531 for thread 2416

1: C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.0.3705RegAsm.exe C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.0.3705System.Data.dll

MSI (s) (2C!70) [17:39:05:765]: Creating MSIHANDLE (42) of type 790531 for thread 2416

1: ERROR: Process returned non-0 value! CMDLINE: C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.0.3705RegAsm.exe C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.0.3705System.Data.dll

MSI (s) (2C!70) [17:39:05:999]: Closing MSIHANDLE (42) of type 790531 for thread 2416

1: Failed

MSI (s) (2C!70) [17:39:06:078]: Closing MSIHANDLE (41) of type 790531 for thread 2416

MSI (s) (2C:28) [17:39:06:109]: Closing MSIHANDLE (40) of type 790536 for thread 348

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

41. Hi ZachSmith – This is the action that is causing .NET Framework 1.0 to fail:

RegAsm is essentially trying to write some registry keys for System.Data.dll.  I’m not sure why that action would fail though.  What OS are you seeing this happen on?

If you haven’t yet, I’d suggest trying to use the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/07/8108332.aspx to remove all versions of the .NET Framework, then install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from the link at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7.

After installing 3.5 SP1, I’d suggest trying again to install the .NET Framework 1.0 and see if it works better after that.

42. Anonymous says:

I have heard from a few folks recently (such as this blog comment and this forum post ) who have run

43. ryani210693 says:

Hi.

I had no luck trying this…i searched the log file but no "return value 3" was found, so could i email the log to you?

I’ve had no luck installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 for days on end now…just constant error and failing and crashing of the setup.exe.

Thanks, Ryan.

44. Hi Ryani210693 – Can you please use the tool described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/08/01/4172276.aspx to gather your .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup log files, then post the file vslogs.cab that this tool produces on a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com) and then reply here with a link to the log files?  I will download them and take a look and see what I can figure out about the root cause of the setup failure from there.

45. ryani210693 says:

Hi.

The file is located at http://www.nowwebsitedesign.co.uk/other/vslogs.cab

Cheers for your help on this! Much appreciated. Ryan.

46. Hi Ryani210693 – The logs you attached show that you’re running Windows Vista, but that the OS component for the .NET Framework 3.0 is not enabled.  .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 tries to enable that OS component by running the following command:

C:Windowssystem32OCSetup.exe NetFx3

However, that command is failing on your system.  The cbs.log file that you included in your logs shows this error:

2009-07-29 03:49:47, Info                  CBS    Pkgmgr: Installing selectable updates for package: Windows Foundation…

2009-07-29 03:49:48, Info                  CBS    Mark store corruption flag because of package: Package_for_KB905866~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.27.0. hr: 0x800b0100

2009-07-29 03:49:48, Error                 CBS    Pkgmgr: Failed installing selectable updates for: Windows Foundation, hr: 0x800b0100

2009-07-29 03:49:48, Info                  CBS    Pkgmgr: return code: 0x800b0100

I would suggest trying to use the CheckSUR tool with the steps listed in the blog post at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2009/01/09/9303167.aspx to try to solve this.

Hopefully this helps.

47. ryani210693 says:

Thanks for that.

Here is the log from the CheckSUR

=================================

Checking System Update Readiness.

Binary Version 6.0.6001.22375

Package Version 5.0

2009-07-30 03:31

Checking Deployment Packages

Checking Package Manifests and catalogs.

Checking package watchlist.

Checking component watchlist.

Checking packages.

(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002 servicingpackagesPackage_for_KB905866_client_1~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.27.0.mum

(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002 servicingpackagesPackage_for_KB905866_client~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.27.0.mum

(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002 servicingpackagesPackage_for_KB905866~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.27.0.mum

Checking component store

Summary:

Seconds executed: 3832

Found 3 errors

CBS MUM Missing Total Count: 3

Do I delete them registry folders or just the "InstallName" .mum key?

Thanks, Ryan.

48. Hi Ryani210693 – What I’d suggest doing in this scenario is renaming the sub-keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionComponent Based ServicingPackages<package_name> that refer to those 3 .mum files.  I’d suggest renaming rather than deleting – you can rename them back in case there something goes wrong.  After renaming, you can try again to install the .NET Framework 3.0 OS component by running OptionalFeatures.exe, checking the item named Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 (it doesn’t matter if the 3 child items under that are checked or not), and clicking OK to try to install it.

49. ryani210693 says:

Hi.

I would give that a go…but the OptionalFeatures.exe list of items shows blank strangely? I looked this up and came across the System File Checker Scan- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712

I ran the scan but it said it could not fix some corrupt files, but said that the same CBS type logs were created again. I feel like I’m going round in circles!

Do i have to go through the OptionalFeatures.exe? Can i simply downlaod the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 package?

Apologies for the many questions…thanks, for your help! Ryan.

50. Hi Ryani210693 – If your Windows Features dialog is still blank after renaming those registry values, then that means there is still something wrong with your OS update installation engine, and .NET 3.5 SP1 will end up failing for the same reason.

I described how I have solved that issue with the blank Windows Features dialog in the blog post I previously linked to – http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2009/01/09/9303167.aspx.  Can you try to re-run CheckSUR and see if it shows any additional errors and try to work around those as well?

51. ryani210693 says:

When attempting to actually rename the keys i get this error- http://www.grabup.com/uploads/4100311A07732009B901E3002E04.png?direct

I’ve ran regedit as administrator and also tried to change permissions, but similar error messages occur.

52. Hi Ryani210693 – I’d suggest trying to rename the subkey instead of just the InstallName value.  If that gives the same error, you may need to right-click on the sub-key, choose Permissions… and grant your user account full control over that sub-key so that you can successfully rename it.

53. ryani210693 says:

Hi.

I managed to successfully change permissions and rename the keys.

I loaded up OptionalFeatures.exe once again yet the list remains blank.

I shall re-run the CheckSUR and report back!

Thanks, Ryan.

54. ryani210693 says:

Hi.

I have now deleted the keys after making a backup, and the OptionalFeatures.exe now shows the list.

I have ticked the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 option, and there were no errors or the like. So does this mean it is installed? I cannot see it in the list of installed programs/features?

Is it now possible for me to install 3.5 SP1 on top of this without any errors?

Thanks for your help once again, Ryan.

55. Hi Ryani210693 – OS components that are listed in the Windows Features dialog only appear there and are not listed in the Programs and Features dialog (that is reserved for applications you install afterwards, not for OS components).

Now that you’ve gotten the .NET Framework 3.0 component enabled, you should be able to run .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup on your system.  If you try it and still encounter errors, please post an updated set of log files so I can take a further look.

One other thing – now that you’ve fixed the blank Windows Features dialog that you were seeing, I suggest checking Windows Update for any hotfixes that you might be missing.  In the cases I’ve seen in the past, when a system is in the state that the Windows Features dialog is blank, Windows Update will think that it doesn’t need to offer you any hotfixes, so you might be missing some important security fixes on this system as a result.

56. ryani210693 says:

Hi.

Success! Both installed and running fine. The help has been extremely valuable and a great method of looking at the logs that may help in the future for any problems!

I had to delete the keys, not just rename them for  this to work. Then OptionalFeatures.exe worked, allowing me to have 3.0 installed. On top of that, Windows Update then successfully installed 3.5 SP1 that was waiting to be installed.

Thanks once again for the help! Ryan.

57. Russiawolf says:

Hi! I am unable to install the .NET Framework 3.0 on my Windows XP Pro laptop. I followed the above steps and I do a dd_wcf_retMSI704C.txt file that got created.

MSI (s) (6C:E0) [15:15:58:712]: Hello, I’m your 32bit Elevated custom action server.

MSI (s) (6C:E4) [15:16:10:852]: User policy value ‘DisableRollback’ is 0

MSI (s) (6C:E4) [15:16:10:852]: Machine policy value ‘DisableRollback’ is 0

Action ended 15:16:10: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

MSI (s) (6C:E4) [15:16:10:852]: Executing op: Header(Signature=1397708873,Version=301,Timestamp=990542326,LangId=0,Platform=0,ScriptType=2,ScriptMajorVersion=21,ScriptMinorVersion=4,ScriptAttributes=1)

MSI (s) (6C:E4) [15:16:10:852]: Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=0,Argument=0)

MSI (s) (6C:E4) [15:16:10:852]: Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=1,Argument=Windows Communication Foundation)

MSI (s) (6C:E4) [15:16:10:852]: Executing op: RollbackInfo(,RollbackAction=Rollback,RollbackDescription=Rolling back action:,RollbackTemplate=[1],CleanupAction=RollbackCleanup,CleanupDescription=Removing backup files,CleanupTemplate=File: [1])

MSI (s) (6C:E4) [15:16:10:852]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=DD_CA_InstallXwsRegExe_X86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8,,)

MSI (s) (6C:E4) [15:16:10:852]: Executing op: ProductInfo(ProductKey={491DD792-AD81-429C-9EB4-86DD3D22E333},ProductName=Windows Communication Foundation,PackageName=wcf.msi,Language=0,Version=50336154,Assignment=1,ObsoleteArg=0,,,PackageCode={A63B31E5-2445-4C91-BD89-4532D7F4D434},,,InstanceType=0,LUASetting=0,RemoteURTInstalls=0)

MSI (s) (6C:E4) [15:16:10:868]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=DD_CA_InstallXwsRegExe_RB_X86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8,,)

MSI (s) (6C:E4) [15:16:10:868]: Executing op: CustomActionRollback(Action=DD_CA_InstallXwsRegExe_RB_X86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8,ActionType=1345,Source=BinaryData,Target=QuietExec,CustomActionData=C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv3.0Windows Communication FoundationServiceModelReg.exe /u /x /y /v;dummy;C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727)

MSI (s) (6C:38) [15:16:10:899]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:WINDOWSInstallerMSI36.tmp, Entrypoint: QuietExec

MSI (s) (6C:E4) [15:16:14:133]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=WriteRegistryValues,Description=Writing system registry values,Template=Key: [1], Name: [2], Value: [3])

MSI (s) (6C:E4) [15:16:14:133]: Executing op: RegOpenKey(Root=-2147483646,Key=SYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesSMSvcHost 3.0.0.0Performance,,BinaryType=0)

Any help would be appreciated.

58. Hi Russiawolf – It looks like you’re running into a failure with the same custom action that I described in the blog post at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/28/8342307.aspx.  I’d suggest trying the steps listed there to see if they help you in this scenario.

59. terryamk says:

Hi, I have tried to install Synctoy in my MS Server 2003 but failed. According to the install log file, code 1603 appeared.

Could you please advise? I have already gotten .NET 2.0 & 3.0.

Thanks

60. Hi Terryamk – Can you please use the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/03/29/help-me-help-you-if-you-have-setup-bugs.aspx to enable verbose logging, upload your log files to a file server such as http://skydrive.live.com, and then reply here with a link to the log files?  I can download it and take a look to see if I can figure anything out about why this installation is failing on your computer.

61. terryamk says:

Hi Aaron

Thanks for your reply and I will try.

But before that, I would like to ask what is the difference between the verbose logging & the original install log. Verbose logging shows more details?

Thanks a lot.

Terry

62. terryamk says:

Hi Aaron

I have followed the steps and get the log file:

Thanks.

Terry

63. Hi Terryamk – Yes, the verbose log will show more details than a standard log.  The log you attached shows the following error:

Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly ‘Microsoft.Synchronization,fileVersion="2.0.1578.0",version="2.0.0.0000",culture="neutral",publicKeyToken="89845DCD8080CC91",processorArchitecture="MSIL"’. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x8002802F. assembly interface: , function: CreateAssemblyCache, component: {B868D2DB-4DCC-404B-91BD-57353A71398F}

A 0x8002802F usually means that there is something wrong with the version of the .NET Framework installed on your system.  I’d suggest trying to install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7 and then trying to install this product again to see if that helps resolve this issue.

64. Anonymous says:

Hi, Aaron,

I got the error number 1603 while trying to install visual studio 2008 on windows 7. It stops on installing the pre-requisites. I close the windows firewall, I run the setup program as administrator. But I was not able to install the program.

any suggestions.

65. Hi Watercad – Visual Studio 2008 setup automatically creates verbose logs that can be used to debug this type of failure.  Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to gather your VS 2008 setup log files, post the file that it creates at %temp%vslogs.cab to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com) and then reply back here with a link to your log files so I can download them and take a further look?

66. Anonymous says:

Action ended 11:17:25: InstallInitialize. Return value 1.

Action start 11:17:25: ProcessComponents.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:745]: Doing action: CA_ScheduleUpdateAssemblyRB.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8

Action ended 11:17:25: ProcessComponents. Return value 1.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:776]: Transforming table CustomAction.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:776]: Transforming table CustomAction.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:776]: Note: 1: 2262 2: CustomAction 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:776]: Transforming table CustomAction.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:776]: Transforming table CustomAction.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:776]: Note: 1: 2262 2: CustomAction 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:776]: Note: 1: 2235 2:  3: ExtendedType 4: SELECT Action,Type,Source,Target, NULL, ExtendedType FROM CustomAction WHERE Action = 'CA_ScheduleUpdateAssemblyRB.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8'

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:776]: Transforming table CustomAction.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:776]: Transforming table CustomAction.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:776]: Note: 1: 2262 2: CustomAction 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:776]: Transforming table CustomAction.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:792]: Transforming table CustomAction.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:792]: Note: 1: 2262 2: CustomAction 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:792]: Note: 1: 2721 2: CA_ScheduleUpdateAssemblyRB.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8

Action start 11:17:25: CA_ScheduleUpdateAssemblyRB.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8.

DEBUG: Error 2721:  Custom action CA_ScheduleUpdateAssemblyRB.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8 not found in Binary table stream

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:839]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 — The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2721. The arguments are: CA_ScheduleUpdateAssemblyRB.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8, ,

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:839]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:839]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInstallerRollbackScripts 3: 2

Action ended 11:17:25: CA_ScheduleUpdateAssemblyRB.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8. Return value 3.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:854]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInstallerRollbackScripts 3: 2

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:854]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:854]: Unlocking Server

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:932]: Transforming table InstallExecuteSequence.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:932]: Transforming table InstallExecuteSequence.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:932]: Note: 1: 2262 2: InstallExecuteSequence 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:932]: Transforming table InstallExecuteSequence.

MSI (s) (FC:20) [11:17:25:932]: Transforming table InstallExecuteSequence.

Action ended 11:17:25: INSTALL. Return value 3.

67. Hi Ree2 – In the past, when I've heard from people who encountered this type of error from the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, I have suggested using the steps listed at blogs.msdn.com/…/8108332.aspx to remove the .NET Framework and then re-install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (which will also install the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 for you behind the scenes).

68. Anonymous says:

I'm trying to install VS2008 on a Win7 Ent. x64 unattended and all I get is 1603 🙁

I cant find and 'return value 3' so I'm at a loss.

I've uploaded the collected logs to: dl.dropbox.com/…/vslogs.cab if you could take a look at them it would be very helpful.

TIA.

anders truelsen

69. Hi Anders – In your scenario, it looks like you're trying to install VS 2008 using an unattended .ini file, and it isn't getting far enough in the process to start installing the main VS MSI.  As a result, you can't use the technique described in this blog post to find the error.

I looked for the string "***error" in your file dd_install_vs_procore_90.txt, and then looked a few lines above that, and I see the following:

[02/16/11,16:13:27] DepCheck: gencomp28,{12CDA52C-7A8F-4785-8A22-53C87393FEE0}

[02/16/11,16:13:27] DepCheck: gencomp97,{12CDA52C-7A8F-4785-8A22-53C87393FEE0}

[02/16/11,16:13:27] DepCheck: gencomp320

[02/16/11,16:13:27] DepCheck_Result: 1

This means that there are 3 prerequisite components that are required by VS 2008 that aren't yet installed on your computer.  These components are the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites (x64), the Microsoft Document Explorer 2008 and the Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component.

The most likely cause of this type of error is that your .ini file isn't configured to install those prerequisites.  I've seen this happen in the past if the .ini file is generated on a machine that already has prerequisites installed or if the .ini file has been hand-edited.

70. Anonymous says:

Hi Aron

I build and ran the unattend file (dl.dropbox.com/…/unattended_no_sql.ini) on a freshly installed Win7 machine.

Running the same setup (deselection only 'Sql Server' and 'Crystal Reports' stuff) works fine, only this time I get success and failure at the same time when the process concludes (dl.dropbox.com/…/SuccessOrFailure.png).

Any ideas?

regards

/anders

71. Hi Anders Truelsen – It looks like you're running into an issue that is similar to the one described at blogs.msdn.com/…/515629.aspx.  That post was about the .NET Framework 2.0 on Windows Vista, but there is a similar problem for the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 7.  Essentially, VS setup is still trying to install the .NET Framework 3.5 even though it is already a part of the OS on Windows 7.  You will need to use steps similar to the ones described in that blog post to update your .ini file to cause VS setup to skip trying to install the .NET Framework 3.5 in this scenario.  The exact name of the component you will need to remove in this scenario is gfn_mid net framework v3.5 x64.

72. Anonymous says:

Aaron, you're the man!

That was just what the doctor ordered, my install works like a charm now.

Thanks a lot 🙂

73. Anonymous says:

Диагноз!!!

Error.

Ошибка установки framework 3.5 для windows xp msi returned error code 1603 wapui depcheck

Примерное сообщение:

[11/09/10,11:10:10] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a x64 is not installed.

[11/09/10,20:33:26] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a x64: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a x64. MSI returned error code 1603

MSI returned error code 1603

Resolve

РегЕдитом(RegEdit)

Give all rights

Дал все права

"System"

Установилось.

не ставится msi returned error code 1603 "windows xp" "net framework 3.5" wapui depcheck

74. Hi Hoha – For this type of access denied error, I'd suggest trying the tool and the steps described at blogs.msdn.com/…/solving-setup-errors-by-using-the-subinacl-tool-to-repair-file-and-registry-permissions.aspx to see if they help fix your file/folder/registry permissions.

For a Windows Installer setup, you will need to make sure that the local system account and the Administrators group have full control over the registry locations that need to be updated by the setup program.

75. Anonymous says:

Hi Aaron!

I've got a following problem :

[04/30/11,20:54:34] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5: [2] Error code 1603

[04/30/11,22:07:48] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 is not installed.

i followed the steps as above and checked all the logs named dd_msi.txt in %temp% directory to find the error in msi*.log file. I did not find any "return value 3", instead all where "return value 1". I only found "Value: 3" string :

[04/30/11,20:54:23] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty – Property: {2B7DE335-914B-476F-AF77-E9EF03938188} – PropertyName: Component Number – Value: 3

[04/30/11,20:54:23] XPSEPSC Installer:  Pending Reboot Table state : Logging start

What should I do now?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

P.s. I am running Russion version of WinXP Sp3. Sorry for poor English.

76. Hi Dima – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your .NET Framework setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that will be created by this tool to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com) and then reply back here with a link I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

77. Anonymous says:

Thanks for help, Aaron!

Here they are:

cid-e596f963568a1e09.office.live.com/…/vslogs.cab

78. Hi Dima – It looks like there was some kind of problem downloading one of the files needed by .NET Framework setup on your computer.  This is what I see in the error logs:

[04/30/11,20:54:24] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0a: [2] Error: Install package not found: WF_32.msp

Can you please try to download and install the full install package for the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from download.microsoft.com/…/dotnetfx35.exe instead of using the web downloader and see if that helps solve this error?

79. Anonymous says:

I'll try it.

Thanks!

80. Anonymous says:

Hi Arron!

I'm getting similar error during installation of Visual Studio 2010 Premium from MSDNAA on Windows 7 x64 SP1.

Installer stops on the first step – Microsoft Application Error Reporting.

I've found standalone installer (dw20shared.msi) in temp folder and after running it, I found in logs this:

MSI (s) (E4:CC) [00:46:13:155]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:WindowsInstallerMSI1290.tmp, Entrypoint: DwDoSharedRefCountAdd

CustomAction CADwDoSharedRefCountAdd returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Action ended 00:46:13: CADwDoSharedRefCountAdd. Return value 3.

MSI (s) (E4:2C) [00:46:13:160]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0

MSI (s) (E4:2C) [00:46:13:160]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInstallerRollbackScripts 3: 2

MSI (s) (E4:2C) [00:46:13:161]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInstallerRollbackScripts 3: 2

MSI (s) (E4:2C) [00:46:13:162]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.

MSI (s) (E4:2C) [00:46:13:162]: Unlocking Server

Action ended 00:46:13: INSTALL. Return value 3.

Can You help me?

Thanks in advance,

Lech

81. Hi Lech – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your Visual Studio setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server such as http://skydrive.live.com and reply here and provide a link I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

82. Anonymous says:

Here are these logs: rogers-design.net/…/vslogs.cab

Thanks in advance for help!

83. Hi Lech – Your VS log file shows that the Application Error Reporting component downloaded but that the file failed to verify after the download, and VS setup failed as a result.  That type of failure can be caused by the file being corrupted during the download or something like that.

I don't see the log file from the standalone install of this component in the vslogs.cab that you uploaded though.  Do you have a copy of that log that you could upload to your file server too?

84. Anonymous says:

Also, during installation from MSDNAA ISO error is the same. I used web trial installer to get standalone Application Error Reporting installer and generate logs.

I hope You will help me find cause of error 1603.

Greetings,

Lech

85. Anonymous says:

Well, I think my earlier message didn't pass filters. So I will try send it again:

rogers-design.net/…/log.txt

If you could write to me on my personal e-mail, I would be glad. Communication through post comments isn't really comfortable 😉

Here is my mail: xrogers@gmail.com

86. Hi Lech – This error looks like it could be caused by incorrect registry permissions on your computer.  I found a forum post at social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/fd0ccc8b-4cb0-4f4a-87fa-09bb66bee6b3 that looks like a similar problem.  Can you please take a look at the information in that post and see if it helps you solve this problem on your computer too?

I'd prefer to complete this discussion in blog comments as opposed to email because that will allow others to find this issue in search results in the future.  I'm sorry for the hassles.

87. Anonymous says:

Hi Aaron,

I have already tried almost everything I found on the web (including this solution) – with no success. Maybe I will find cause of this problem using process monitor, but I'm starting to give up hope.

Thank you for your attention, I really appreciate it.

Greetings,

Lech

PS: Maybe there is a possibility to install VS without this component? Are there any hidden "switches" in installer?:)

88. Hi Lech – You might also want to post a question on the Visual Studio installation forum at social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/threads to see if someone there has some additional suggestions for you to try.

I'm not aware of any hidden switches to cause VS setup to bypass this component.  If it is a registry permission issue though, I am afraid the same type of issue might affect other MSIs that you try to install on this computer.

89. Anonymous says:

Hi Aaron,

I have problems installing .NET and any MSI files on Windows 2003 SP2 x64. I've created verbose logs (skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx) but can't seem to find the cause.

Please help.

Gasper

90. Hi Gasper – I took a look at your log files, and it looks like Windows Installer is crashing when it tries to start .NET Framework setup:

MSI (s) (BC:7C) [13:48:05:406]: Internal Exception during install operation: 0xc0000005 at 0x000006427EE83C3F.

I'm not sure if this problem is specific to the .NET Framework or if it is a general problem with Windows Installer.  Do you see errors installing other types of MSIs on this machine?

It might help to try to repair/re-install Windows Installer 4.5 on your computer to see if that helps resolve this issue.

91. Anonymous says:

Hi Aaron,

Indeed it looks like a problem with Windows Installer 4.5. I've reinstalled Windows Installer 4.5 but it does not seem to work so I'll try to find a solution to repair it.

Thank you very much, now I know in where exactly is my problem.

Best regards,

Gasper

92. Anonymous says:

Hi Aaron,

I'm trying to install 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 3 (SP3)…

The installation crashes and in the event log, I find this error 1603.

I have then activated the verbose logging and started the installation again.

The installation has created multiple msi*.log files, but unfortunately, I can't find the return value 3. The operating system and Microsoft Office are both installed in English.

In one of this msi*.log files, I can find the following error message:

DEBUG: Error 2749:  Transform 90001F040C000012.0.6213.1000 invalid for package C:WINDOWSInstaller7110c.msi. Expected product version == 12.0.6213.1000, found product version 12.0.6425.1000.

1: 2749 2: 90001F040C000012.0.6213.1000 3: C:WINDOWSInstaller7110c.msi 4: 12.0.6213.1000 5: 12.0.6425.1000

MSI (c) (80:34) [11:05:43:339]: Skipping validation for patch transform #90001F040C000012.0.6213.1000.  Will not apply because previous transform was invalid

Do you have a hint for me, where I can look for the error?

A further problem is, that after each try to install the service pack, around 1GB disk space is used and I can't find where this space ist used.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards

Rolf

93. Hi Rolf – Office setup creates its own verbose logs, and that means you won't see verbose log information for this installer in msi*.log.  I'd suggest taking a look at the article at technet.microsoft.com/…/cc179058(v=office.12).aspx to see if it helps you find the relevant log files for this failure.  If you'd like, you can zip up your log files, upload them to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and reply back here and post a link that I can use to download your logs and take a closer look.

94. Anonymous says:

Hi Aaron

Did you get the log files?

I just ask, because I don't see my last message in the forum 🙂

Thanks and best regards

Rolf

95. Anonymous says:

If you didn't get the log files, here again the link:

skydrive.live.com/embed

Best regards

Rolf

96. Anonymous says:

very helpfull, showed me that i had a problem with credentials on sql server during update of WSUS with KB2734608

97. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the help located value 3 and stright away saw the issue many thanks

98. Anonymous says:

Thanks much!!!  The 'return value 3' made my day!  I'll add this to my troubleshooting arsenal!  Again, thanks!

99. Anonymous says:

Thanks for share………..

More info mcafee customer service

100. Anonymous says:

I had nightmares reading those long and ugly LOG files. With your tip I speeded up the error locating process by a factor of 1000!

Thank you again, you deserve a medall AND a bronze statue xD

Regards.

101. Eder Valois says:

MSI (s) (80:3C) [07:45:38:514]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInstallerRollbackScripts 3: 2

Action ended 07:45:38: ProcessComponents. Return value 3.

MSI (s) (80:3C) [07:45:38:519]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.

MSI (s) (80:3C) [07:45:38:519]: Unlocking Server

Action ended 07:45:38: INSTALL. Return value 3

102. Hi Eder Valois – This log snippet isn't enough to narrow down the root cause of the installation failure.  Would it be possible for you to zip and upload the full verbose MSI log file to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

103. Pranita says:

I get this error  ISIISCosting. Return value 3.

104. Hi Pranita – ISIISCosting is a custom action inserted when using InstallShield to build an MSI.  If you're the one building your MSI, then there is likely a setup authoring problem that you'll need to fix to resolve this error.  I found a potentially useful thread about that issue at stackoverflow.com/…/installshield-2012-cryptic-error-code-iisrt-1204.

If this isn't a setup you created, then I'd recommend searching for information about this error on the web site for the manufacturer of the application that you're trying to install to see if they have any known issues, workarounds or patches for this error.