How to manually cleanup a failed .NET Framework 2.0 install

In response to the blog article I posted last week where I provided a link to a .NET Framework manual cleanup tool, I got some questions about whether or not a comparable version is available for cleaning up the .NET Framework 2.0.  I am currently working on a couple of small work items in the code for the tool to enable it to work with 2.0, but in the meantime I wanted to post some manual steps.  I know there have been a lot of uninstall/reinstall issues because we have released an alpha, a beta and numerous Community Tech Preview (CTP) versions and not all of them will uninstall completely cleanly in order to allow a future beta version of 2.0 to install correctly.

The following steps will help resolve .NET Framework 2.0 installation failures/hangs in most cases. Before proceeding please note these important caveats:

• These steps will only work for the .NET Framework 2.0 installed by dotnetfx.exe (the MSI-based setup).  There is a version of .NET Framework 2.0 that is installed as part of the OS if you are running any pre-release builds of Windows codename Longhorn.  You should not use these steps on Longhorn.

• These steps will damage the .NET Framework 1.0 or 1.1 if you have either of these versions installed on your computer.  This is because you are instructed to rename the file mscoree.dll that is shared by all versions of the .NET Framework.   If you have 1.0 or 1.1 installed, you will need to immediately install a later build of .NET Framework 2.0 to update mscoree.dll or perform a repair of the .NET Framework 1.0 or 1.1.  To repair .NET Framework 1.0 or 1.1, go to the Add or Remove Programs control panel, click on the link for support information, and then click on the Readme link.

• If you are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Media Center Edition or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, there is a version of the .NET Framework that ships as part of the OS.  In those situations, you cannot repair by using the instructions in Add or Remove Programs under the readme link.  In those scenarios it is strongly recommended that you immediately install .NET Framework 2.0 to provide an updated version of mscoree.dll.  If that is not an option, you must repair your OS to fix the issue.

Steps to clean up a machine to fix a failed .NET Framework 2.0 installation:

• Using Add or Remove Programs, locate any versions of the .NET Framework 1.2 or 2.0 and choose Remove to uninstall them

• Using regedit, navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework and delete any keys and values that have 1.2 or 2.0 in it, including keys/values that are in subkeys underneath .NETFramework.

• Using regedit, navigate to the sub-hive HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\Policy and delete any key or value that has 1.2 or 2.0 in it.

• Using regedit, navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ASP.NET and delete any key or value that has 1.2 or 2.0 in it, including keys/values that are in subkeys underneath ASP.NET.

•  Right-click on My Computer and choose Manage. Expand Computer Management (Local), then Local Users and Groups, then click on the Users folder. In the right-hand pane, right-click on the ASPNET user account and choose Delete to remove it.

•  Go to %windir%\assembly and delete anything with *1.2* or *2.0* in the folder name. Delete the GAC_32 and GAC_MSIL folders as well.

You can not view the contents of %windir%\assembly in Windows Explorer when the .NET Framework is installed.  In order to view the contents, you will need to set the following registry value and reopen Windows Explorer

Key name:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fusion
    Value name: DisableCacheViewer
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 1

Note: You should remove the DisableCacheViewer value after you complete this step because this is only used for debugging purposes.

• Go to %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework and delete any folders named v1.2.* or v2.0.* along with all of the files and subfolders they contain.  You may get errors when trying to delete some of the files because they are in use.  In most cases, rebooting the machine and trying again will work.  If not, you can rename the files to be <filename>.old and then delete them after a future reboot.

•  Rename %windir%\system32\mscoree.dll to mscoree.dll.old.

•  After doing all of this, try to install the previously failing version of the .NET Framework 2.0.

If you have any trouble getting these steps to work correctly please let me know.  Also stay tuned for a future post once I get the cleanup tool updated to work with .NET Framework 2.0 and post it for download.

1. Now that Visual Studio 2005 and .NET Framework 2.0 beta 2 is about to be available, I wanted to communicate…

2. MikeFarinha says:

Thank you for the walk through Aaron! If I come across any other problems I’ll post them up here.

3. I know I’m a little late jumping on this particular bandwagon and posting a blog item about it, but just…

4. Hvis du, ligesom jeg,&amp;nbsp;har haft mange forskellige version af Visual Studio 2005 p&#229; din maskine over…

5. Hey all, I’m sorry for the delay posting this.&amp;nbsp; I’ve got a version of the cleanup tool that I wrote…

6. Duck says:

Worked just great,thanks for that. Next time I’ll read the instructions…

7. wangjun says:

When I install the vwd 2005 feb ctp, i clicked the" ixpvwd.exe" instead of ‘ setup.exe’ ,

but during i using it, some err happen ,so i reinstall it by clicking ixpvwd.exe.

but now when i want to unstall it ,

it said some pre version installed ,unstall them,

How can i do it ?

do you have some tool to remove all the beta 2 feb ctp ?

Thanks !

8. wangjun says:

my email : forwangjun@163.com

help me !

9. J Plumb says:

I tried the manual uninstall on Windows Server 2003 and on a client’s computer, but the new version still detects the previous version. I can’t find any files or registry entries that could trigger this, and I get an error if I try to run the cleanup utility. If you have any suggestions, I would be thankful.

J

10. astebner says:

Hi J Plumb – Can you please try the following steps and see if this will resolve the issue?

1. Download the VS 2005 beta cleanup tool from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=47065 and save it to your desktop

2. Go to the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and run vs2005_beta_cleanup_tool.exe /t:c:temp /c from the cmd prompt

3. From the cmd prompt, run c:tempmsizap TP {71F8EFBF-09AF-418D-91F1-52707CDFA274}

4. Now run c:tempcleanup.exe and when the UI lauches, choose to remove the VS 2005 beta again.

5. After the cleanup completes, try to reinstall VS 2005 Beta 2 one more time.

11. astebner says:

Hi Wangjun – Can you please try the following steps and see if this will resolve the issue?

3. From the cmd prompt, run c:tempmsizap TP {F7491330-512C-469D-94F6-4828D2D0344E} to remove the VWD February 2005 CTP.

4. Now run c:tempcleanup.exe and when the UI lauches, choose to remove the VS 2005 beta.

5. After the cleanup completes, try to reinstall VS 2005 Beta 2 one more time.

12. astebner says:

Quick update on the steps I listed above in the 2 previous comments – I forgot that we removed msizap.exe from the VS 2005 beta version of the cleanup tool to make the download size smaller.

You can find a copy of msizap.exe inside the version of the cleanup tool designed for .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 that is posted at http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip.

Hope this helps and sorry for any confusion…

13. ajm says:

If anyone is still having trouble removing components you might want to try the "Windows Installer Clean Up Utility" worked like a charm for me.

14. ian says:

When I try to reinstall .Net 2.0 Beta 2 framework (running dotnetfx.exe), I have selected both Repair and Uninstall. When I click next, the installer says "Initializing Install" … then it blows up. Below is the installer fail info. Thanks for any help.

– I followed manual steps and retried.. no success.

– I ran both cleaner tools posted… no success.

======================

MSI CA LOG ENTRY INFO:

======================

CA NAME:

======================

LAST 100 LINES INFO :

======================

=== Verbose logging started: 6/13/2005 19:54:46 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 3.00.3790.2538 Calling process: C:DOCUME~1a379190LOCALS~1TempIXP000.TMPInstall.exe ===

MSI (c) (6C:50) [19:54:46:639]: Resetting cached policy values

MSI (c) (6C:50) [19:54:46:639]: Machine policy value ‘Debug’ is 0

MSI (c) (6C:50) [19:54:46:639]: ******* RunEngine:

******* Product: C:DOCUME~1a379190LOCALS~1TempIXP000.TMPnetfx.msi

******* Action:

******* CommandLine: **********

MSI (c) (6C:50) [19:54:46:639]: Client-side and UI is none or basic: Running entire install on the server.

MSI (c) (6C:50) [19:54:46:639]: Grabbed execution mutex.

MSI (c) (6C:50) [19:54:46:659]: Cloaking enabled.

MSI (c) (6C:50) [19:54:46:659]: Attempting to enable all disabled priveleges before calling Install on Server

MSI (c) (6C:50) [19:54:46:659]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0

MSI (s) (54:0C) [19:54:46:679]: Grabbed execution mutex.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:46:689]: Resetting cached policy values

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:46:689]: Machine policy value ‘Debug’ is 0

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:46:689]: ******* RunEngine:

******* Product: C:DOCUME~1a379190LOCALS~1TempIXP000.TMPnetfx.msi

******* Action:

******* CommandLine: **********

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:46:689]: Machine policy value ‘DisableUserInstalls’ is 0

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:46:699]: File will have security applied from OpCode.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:760]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: Verifying package –> ‘C:DOCUME~1a379190LOCALS~1TempIXP000.TMPnetfx.msi’ against software restriction policy

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:760]: Note: 1: 2262 2: DigitalSignature 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:760]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: C:DOCUME~1a379190LOCALS~1TempIXP000.TMPnetfx.msi is not digitally signed

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:770]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: C:DOCUME~1a379190LOCALS~1TempIXP000.TMPnetfx.msi is permitted to run at the ‘unrestricted’ authorization level.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:770]: End dialog not enabled

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:770]: Original package ==> C:DOCUME~1a379190LOCALS~1TempIXP000.TMPnetfx.msi

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:770]: Package we’re running from ==> C:WINDOWSInstaller318bd7.msi

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:810]: APPCOMPAT: looking for appcompat database entry with ProductCode ‘{7A1ADD0C-17F3-47B8-B033-A06E189C835D}’.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:810]: APPCOMPAT: no matching ProductCode found in database.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Machine policy value ‘DisablePatch’ is 0

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Machine policy value ‘AllowLockdownPatch’ is 0

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Machine policy value ‘DisableLUAPatching’ is 0

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Machine policy value ‘DisableFlyWeightPatching’ is 0

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: APPCOMPAT: looking for appcompat database entry with ProductCode ‘{7A1ADD0C-17F3-47B8-B033-A06E189C835D}’.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: APPCOMPAT: no matching ProductCode found in database.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Transforms are not secure.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Control

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Command Line: USING_EXUIH=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress FILESINUSETEXT= REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=emusc CURRENTDIRECTORY=C:DOCUME~1a379190LOCALS~1TempIXP000.TMP CLIENTUILEVEL=3 CLIENTPROCESSID=3436

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding PackageCode property. Its value is ‘{0325D29B-24C8-4E9E-8531-A6D746FB74ED}’.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Product Code passed to Engine.Initialize: ”

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Product Code from property table before transforms: ‘{7A1ADD0C-17F3-47B8-B033-A06E189C835D}’

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Product Code from property table after transforms: ‘{7A1ADD0C-17F3-47B8-B033-A06E189C835D}’

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Product registered: entering maintenance mode

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ProductState property. Its value is ‘5’.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ProductToBeRegistered property. Its value is ‘1’.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Entering CMsiConfigurationManager::SetLastUsedSource.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Specifed source is already in a list.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: User policy value ‘SearchOrder’ is ‘nmu’

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Machine policy value ‘DisableBrowse’ is 0

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Machine policy value ‘AllowLockdownBrowse’ is 0

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Adding new sources is allowed.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding PackagecodeChanging property. Its value is ‘1’.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Note: 1: 1729

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Note: 1: 2729

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:820]: Note: 1: 2729

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:830]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Beta 2 — Configuration failed.

MSI (s) (54:04) [19:54:47:840]: MainEngineThread is returning 1638

Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

{7A1ADD0C-17F3-47B8-B033-A06E189C835D}

MSI (c) (6C:50) [19:54:47:850]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1

MSI (c) (6C:50) [19:54:47:850]: MainEngineThread is returning 1638

=== Verbose logging stopped: 6/13/2005 19:54:47 ===

15. astebner says:

Hi Ian,

This log file is showing that Windows Installer thinks that you already have the .NET Framework 2.0 beta 2 installed. Can you try to run msiexec /x {7A1ADD0C-17F3-47B8-B033-A06E189C835D} to remove beta 2, and then try to run setup again and see if it works for you? If that doesn’t work, please try the following:

1. Download the version of the cleanup tool at http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

2. Run cleanup_tool.exe /t:c:temp /c

3. Go to c:temp and run msizap.exe TP {7A1ADD0C-17F3-47B8-B033-A06E189C835D}

4. Try to run .NET Framework 2.0 beta 2 setup again

Please let me know if this works for you….

16. Steve Schamber says:

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for all your excellent advice. We’ve followed all of the steps you’ve outlined and still have not been able to successfully install, so I’m hoping you can give us some ideas.

Our situation _seems_ like it might be slightly different from others, but I’ll do my best to outline what we’re experiencing and if you have any questions or need more detail, please let me know:

–Each time we attempt an install, it appears to run fine through these basic steps: Extract, EULA, Configuring Install, Write System Reg Entries, Copying New Files, Binding Executables, Write System Reg Values. At this point, the progress message changes to "Rolling Back. . . " and the detail says "Unregistering SystemEnterpriseServices.dll" and then throws a rather generic error–"An error occurred during setup.

The following error occurred during setup: Installation Failed."

–We are attempting to load the Beta 2.0 .NET Framework on a test machine that was built to mirror our production server as closely as possible, which has the .NET v1.2 installed. The Framework is being installed from dotnetfx.exe, and we are using Windows Installer 3.1

–The issue has occurred consistently on our Win2K test server, although it installed fine on a similar machine running Win2K3. We first tried running the vs2005_beta_cleanup_tool.exe as recommended on the Microsoft MSDN Site, and then following your manual instructions in this post–neither of which changed the sypmtoms or outcome.

I apologize for being so verbose, but I’m hoping there is some clue you’ll see that we’ve overlooked. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or questions.

Thanks!

Steve

17. astebner says:

Hi Steve – could you please look in your %temp% directory for the most recent file named dd_netfx20msi*.txt and zip and send that file to me via email? That will help us figure out which part of setup is failing and causing the rollback to happen.

18. David Shrader says:

My install/uninstall is quite FUBARed. I tried the manual uninstall, and automated uninstall, the brute force uninstall. It will not uninstall. Before I tried any of the manual or brute force, i was getting error 2203.

Any ideas?

David

19. astebner says:

Hi David – could you please look in your %temp% directory for the most recent file named dd_netfx20msi*.txt and zip and send that file to me via email at aaronste (at) microsoft (dot) com? Error 2203 means "Database: [2]. Cannot open database file. System error [3]" but hopefully the log file will give me more context on what could be causing this error.

20. Don Baechtel says:

I am trying to install July CTP of VS 2005. It fails because .Net 2.0 Beta is install. All attempts to unistall .Net 2.0 Beta fail because netfx.msi file is missing. VS 2005 Cleanup utility fails because netfx.msi file is missing. The .Net Framework 2.0 Beta Cleanup tool completes without error but .Net 2.0 Beta is STILL installed after it runs and the system is rebooted. .Net 1.0 and 1.1 were removed but not 2.0 Beta. How do I unistall .Net 2.0 Beta?

21. astebner says:

Hi Don – can you please try to install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301 and use that to locate and remove the .NET Framework 2.0 beta? I am working on a version of the cleanup tool that will work with VS 2005 beta 2 and I will fix the issue you are running into if the original MSI is missing as part of that release. In the meantime the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility should allow you to fix this bug.

22. raveresque says:

We are having exactly the same problem as Steve Schamber will the roll back… have there been any more details on this… I have uploaded my log files to http://www.trilliumd.co.uk/dotnet2b2log.zip if these are use.

tia

23. Word says:

I improperly uninstalled both .NET framework 2 and visual studio express C# I’ve deleted everything in sight related to it in the registry files, renamed a few to delete them, restarted several times. And still when I try to install it again I get this error – The Windows Installer package: C:Documents and SettingsUserLocal SettingsTempSIT20876.tmpvs_setup.ms_ could not be opened.

I need to finish up some work from school so I need help as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Travis

24. Word says:

Update – used the microsoft clean up install utility or whatever its called..anyway cleaned up .net 2.0 and C# and now I get to the downloading then installing part and I get several errors…

25. astebner says:

Hi Raveresque – I looked at your log file and it does appear to be the same issue as Steve was seeing. Unfortunately, I was not ever able to determine the root cause of Steve’s issue before he needed to reformat the machine and start over. I am asking around to see if there have been any other solutions found yet because I have heard of several customers who have reported this issue at http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/. I will let you know what I am able to find…

Hi Word – could you give me more detail about the errors that you see while installing C# Express? If possible, could you zip and attach dd_*.txt from your %temp% directory so I could see the exact error messages you are getting? You can send them to aaronste (at) microsoft (dot) com.

26. astebner says:

Hi Raveresque – we have a potential fix for the issue that you reported, but since we have been unable to reproduce it in our test lab, we are not sure if it will work or not. Would you be willing to try out an updated version of .NET Framework setup to see if it fixes this issue on your machine? If so, you can download it from http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/netfx.zip, extract the contents and run install.exe from within that package.

Please contact me at aaronste (at) microsoft (dot) com if you try this and let me know whether or not it resolves the issue on your machine.

27. Word says:

I installed some audio drivers for some odd reason and ended up having to do a system restore ( dont ask ) which undid all of my random .net framework visual studio registry deletings so I ended up with a new error Involving an HRESULT thinger. I then proceeded to another solution written by you deleting a registry value to make .net framework beta 2 reinstall and it fixed that problem as well as another one I was having before all this mess started.

Thanks alot!

Travis

28. astebner says:

Hi Raveresque – I still haven’t heard back from you and I don’t have a way to contact you, but I wanted to let you know that I have posted an additional blog item about the problem you are seeing. You can read it at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/08/09/449720.aspx. If you happen to read this and are still having the problem, I would really like if you could contact me via email at aaronste (at) microsoft (dot) com before using the steps in my new blog post. I want to see if the buddy build of the .NET Framework I posted at http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/netfx.zip will resolve your issue and help you avoid needing to try that other workaround.

Thanks in advance!

29. gabriel says:

Hi Aaron. try with all tools

– cleanup_tool.exe

– msicuu2.exe

– vs2005_beta_cleanup_tool.exe

When I run VS2K5 installer this continued says

that:

Microsoft Windows installer 3.0 and

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Beta 2 are installed. I don’t see any of this product listing in Windows Install Clean Up utility.

I try running with this issue and receive:

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2908"

I apreciate any help.

-gabriel

30. astebner says:

Hi Gabriel – it sounds like you might be hitting a problem where VS setup thinks the .NET Framework is already installed but in reality it is not. Can you take a look at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/06/16/429997.aspx and see if this helps resolve this issue for you? If it does not, please gather up the log files listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/447012.aspx and zip them and send them to me at aaronste (at) microsoft (dot) com and I will take a look and see what I can figure out.

31. astebner says:

Hi again Raveresque – in case you find my comments here and want to try out the patched .NET Framework beta 2 package, I had to move it to a different location so the previous link is not valid anymore. It is now available at http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/netfx20_beta2.zip.

32. &amp;nbsp;

Deciphering specific HRESULT values

HRESULT 0x80070002 and 0x80070003

HRESULT 0x80070005…

33. Arinaya says:

Hi, I have tried all of these things, nothing is working. There was a previous install of SQL Server 2005 that was removed, as well as NET2 using Add/Remove programs. I have tried the cleanup utility, removed all of the listed files/registry entries, renamed mscoree.dll, and have also deleted/renamed a number of other suspicious registry entries in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Visual Studio and /MSSQL… When I run the VS2005Beta installer (team edition on 2003 sm.business server), it loads the install components, then says a previous version was found click ok to uninstall, ok, exit.

Any ideas? TIA.

34. astebner says:

Hi Arinaya – there is a known issue with the Visual Studo 2005 beta setup on Windows Server 2003 small business server that will cause setup to report that a previous beta version is installed. Can you try the workaround listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/05/13/417377.aspx and see if that works for you?

35. Arinaya says:

Thanks Aaron, that was it.

36. Jacky says:

Hi, I have installed a copy of Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 recently to develop smart device applications. During the installation, there is no error message. However, I can’t deploy the exe file to the device emulator. A message box always pop up and says "No such interface supported" when I try to connect to the emulator for Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC and the deployment fails.

I don’t know what happened. I have also searched the internet. No such problem is reported so far. Can someone help me to solve this problem? Thanks.

37. MobileDevGroup says:

Do you know what the setup failure was for the device emulator ? The no such interface usually come when device emulator is not installed on the machine.

From your Beta 2 disk, under the setup folder there is a folder called WCUARM run vs_emulator.exe from there and try to install manually. Do reboot the machine before running it.

Also if you have the device emulator installed this patch helps making connectivty very robust

Thanks

Amit Chopra

38. Hugo says:

Hi Aaron,

For what its worth – I tried your fixed .Net 2 install (http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/netfx20_beta2.zip) and it worked!

I had the same problem as Raveresque

Cheers and Thanks

Hugo

39. astebner says:

Hi Hugo – thank you for trying out the updated .NET Framework 2.0 beta 2 bits and letting me know that it worked for you. It sounds like you are hitting the issue I described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/08/28/457416.aspx in case you want to read more details about the cause and the fix.

Thanks!

40. I’m sure a plenty of people have wondered what’s under the covers of the Global Assembly Cache, and have…

41. Tanya says:

Hi,

What I’m trying to do is install WinFX (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CE888B4C-CCBD-452F-9D90-F4B7190CCA24&displaylang=en)

I think the prerequisite is that I have to have all previous versions of .NET Framework uninstalled, as well as other Microsoft components.

I keep getting this error when I’m trying to install it: "Please uninstall Windows Workflow Foundation before installing this product". Windows Workflow doesn’t show up as a program when I go to "Add/Remove Programs".

I had several versions of Microsoft .NET Framework on my computer, as well as the whole Visual Studio suite. I un-installed all those, but I think I didn’t do it in the correct order. So, I tried some manual steps that I found on your website, but that didn’t help. I also tried the Microsoft clean-up program, but it gave me errors (didn’t complete correctly).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tanya

42. astebner says:

Hi Tanya – you can use the msiinv.exe tool that I described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/434814.aspx to locate information about the Windows Workflow Foundation component. Msiinv will give you the product code for this product, and then you can run msiexec /x <product code> to uninstall it. If msiexec /x fails, you can use msizap.exe to remove this component as a last resort. I have a beta version of a wrapper tool that automates both of these steps for you that you can try. It is located at http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/smartmsizap.zip. You’ll want to run smartmsizap /p <product_code> using the product code you get from the msiinv output.

Hope this helps. I realize this is kinda confusing so please contact me again if you try this and run into any issues.

43. Matt F. says:

Thank you!

After untold hours spent trying to install a service pack and critical security update for .NET Framework 1.1 I was finally able to do so after removing the 2.0 version. No more MSVS Runtime or sidebyside errors. I’m afraid to try installing 2.0 again.

Thank you!

Matt

44. Nadav says:

Dear Aaron,

I have bump into the following issue when installing .NET Framework v2.0 from the VS 2005 CD (netfx version): whenever I install it, I get a crash while

Registering System.EnterpriseServices.dll

Executing: "C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727RegSvcs.exe" /bootstrapi

‘.

This is the whole history of VS 2005 and this computer:

1. VS 2005 Beta 2 instlled & uninstalled with no issues.

2. VS 2005 RC installed & uninstalled with no issues.

3. VS 2005 RTM installed with no issues.

4. VS 2005 starting to fail loading components, as well as vshost.exe crashes. I followed the instructions in your blog regarding how to remove it. Framework started to crash upon uninstall as well as the SQL Server 2005 Mobile component.

5. I followed your cleanup instructions, which did not help with regards to how to clean up the environment.

6. I followed the specific instructions regarding how to clean Framework 2.0, but this still doesn’t help.

7. I tried to run "gacutil /i System.EnterpriseServices.dll" as you adviced someone else with a similar situation on Beta 2, but this worked fine and did not crash.

This, of course, entirely prevents me from installing VS 2005…

Please advise! I am entirely helpless. Reinstalling the machine is a complicated issue.

TIA, Nadav

45. astebner says:

Hi Matt – the .NET Framework 2.0 is designed to work side-by-side with .NET 1.0 and 1.1. It sounds like you may have run into an issue that was a bug in one of the beta versions of the .NET Framework 2.0 but has been fixed in the final release. I encourage you to try to install the final release of the .NET Framework 2.0 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&DisplayLang=en and not be deterred by the previous problems you’ve run into. If you hit any future issues, please contact me directly using http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/contact.aspx and I will do my best to assist.

Hi Nadav – I posted a blog entry yesterday that may help solve this issue for you with the .NET Framework 2.0 final release. Can you please try the workarounds listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/01/08/510677.aspx and see if it helps solve this issue for you?

46. Nadav says:

Hello Aaron,

Thsnks for your reply!

I tried the workarounds, they did not help. But I did look at the installation log files, and found this right after the crash, which may finally lead to some clue:

Unhandled Exception:

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly ‘RegSvcs, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’ or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant permission to execute. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131418)

File name: ‘RegSvcs, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’ —> System.Security.Policy.PolicyException: Execution permission cannot be acquired.

at System.Security.SecurityManager.ResolvePolicy(Evidence evidence, PermissionSet reqdPset, PermissionSet optPset, PermissionSet denyPset, PermissionSet& denied, Boolean checkExecutionPermission)

at System.Security.SecurityManager.ResolvePolicy(Evidence evidence, PermissionSet reqdPset, PermissionSet optPset, PermissionSet denyPset, PermissionSet& denied, Int32& securitySpecialFlags, Boolean checkExecutionPermission)

I still have the files (and they’re not that difficult to reproduce regardless), so I can post them to you or to Product Feedback Center as you advise.

Again TIA,

Nadav

47. Mark Fawcus says:

Your 1.0/1.1 cleanup tool proved to be very useful when trying to get a Linksys WMA11B up and running on an XP machine with 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 previously installed. This product seems to XP SP2 and .NET since 1.0!

48. astebner says:

Hi Nadav – I have not seen a crash like you are reporting in the past. Could you please zip and send me the file dd_netfx20msi*.txt from this system so I could take a look? You can send it to aaronste@microsoft.com.

49. Nadav says:

Hello Aaron,

I finally managed to install the framework and VS 2005. I took the following steps to clean old installations:

First, I deleted C:Documents and Settings%User%Application DataMicrosoftCLR Sec

urity Configv2.0.* (and there were 3 different ones, one for Beta2, one for RC and one for final version).

Second, I looked through the registry for all the keys/values that contained 50215 or 50727 and deleted them (carefully, of course – sometimes only parts of them).

Afterwards VS installation came out clean. For now it seems to be working well.

Regards,

Nadav

50. astebner says:

Hi Nadav – I am very happy to hear that you were able to figure this out. I’m sorry for the hassle that you encountered while trying to get it to work and also for the delay in getting back to you after you sent the log files to me. I had been trying to reproduce the issue to figure out other possible suggestions to send you but hadn’t had any luck.

51. andrew says:

Thanks for this, I finally managed to get .NET v2.0 to install after deleting everything. The error I was getting wasn’t one I’ve seen anywhere else, so I’ll post it here in case anyone else has the same problem:

Error 25015.Failed to install assembly ‘C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll’ because of system error: The system cannot find the path specified.

52. Jmonkey says:

Quick question… I don’t have the beta uninstaller anymore. Is it mandatory? I know it’s needed to run the programs given online and on the add/remove tool, but is there a manual way to remove this successfully before I try. I cannot find a beta version to download. If needed, can anyone find and/or supply a version to install so that I can finally uninstall my vb.net express 2005 and webforms webapps (forgot exact name) 2005…beta 2. Thanks in advance!

53. astebner says:

Hi Jmonkey – The beta uninstaller makes things easier, but it isn’t necessarily mandatory.  In the steps to remove the beta version listed at the top of this blog post, you can replace the first bullet ("Using Add or Remove Programs, locate any versions of the .NET Framework 1.2 or 2.0 and choose Remove to uninstall them") with the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/30/487096.aspx and that should allow you to achieve the same results.  Hope this helps!

54. Lucius says:

I was attempting to install Visual Basic Studio Express Edition.

It said something about uninstalling several apps and the .NET Framework 2.0 beta prior to install.

I mistakenly uninstalled the .NET Framework before uninstalling the other apps. SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Beta 2

SQL Server 205 Tools Express Edition Beta 2

SQL Server Setup Support Files

MSDN Express Library 2005 Beta – English

I’m not sure that I must remove the MSDN Express Library.  Anyhow, I have download and attempted to install dotnetfx.exe it fails and crashes asking to send a report which I have done.

I tried the following cleanup tool: http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/netfx20_beta2.zip

And attempted again to install, it failed.  I’m unable the apps until I have 2.0 reinstalled.

Any help will be appreciated.

55. Lucius says:

I made problems worse before I made them better.

I previously had a FAT32 partition for my Primary drive, I converted it to NTFS and began a tedious process of manually setting security for many of the key folders. I used a properly installed version of Windows XP as a guide.  Some subfolders may still be set wrong.  SYSTEM didn’t have access to my temp folder.  This prevented my reinstallation of .NET 1.0 and 1.1 Frameworks.  I expect I may be able to install the 2.0 framework as well now.   (Fingers crossed)

56. Lucius says:

Yeah, that fixed it.  I know have 2.0 back in, I should be able to accomplish my tasks, I won’t post anymore unless I run into more problems.

57. Lucius says:

My attempts at uninstalling:

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Beta 2

SQL Server 205 Tools Express Edition Beta 2

are met with the following message:

The Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 is not installed. Please install before running setup.

I have installed, I have attempted the clean, I have attempted reinstall. Both of these install times appear to be successful.  I did reboot after the first install, and rebooted after the second install.  My process of cleaning the 2.0 install included the steps noted at the very top this page Titled, "Steps to clean up a machine to fix a failed .NET Framework 2.0 installation:" These include some minor registry changes and folder deletions.

As stated before, any help is greatly appreciated

58. astebner says:

Hi Lucius – Can you please try to use the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/30/487096.aspx to locate and manually remove the SQL 2005 beta versions that are still installed on your system and see if that solves this issue for you?

59. .net developer says:

hi all,

I am trying to create an ODBC connection to Access 2003 from vb.net2005 final version with framework 2.0 final version (I didn’t install the beta version before), but when the code trying to open the connection this error appears:

Could not load file or assembly ‘System.EnterpriseServices, Version=2.0.0.0,

Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. ,

at System.Data.Common.ADP.IsSysTxEqualSysEsTransaction()

at System.Data.Common.ADP.NeedManualEnlistment()

at System.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnection.Open()

at abd.frmSplash.frmSplash_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

I run the same code on another pc and it run without any problem, I think that the problem in the framework.

Note, when I installed the .net2005 an error occurred first time, then I tried to install it second time and it run without error , may be the framework installed from the first time and didn’t installed at the second time, so this may be the error.

Any help for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

60. astebner says:

Hi .NET Developer – This does seem like an issue with the .NET Framework 2.0 on this system.  Can you please try to repair it using the entry in Add/Remove programs and see if that helps?  If it does not help, can you please try to uninstall the .NET Framework and then reinstall it from the folder wcudotnetframework on your original VS 2005 installation media or from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5?

61. .net developer says:

thanks  astebner,

but i tried to uninstall the framwork and by mistake i removed something else, so i installed the framework again and repaired vb.net and every thing is work now

thanks for you all

assalamu alaikum (bye in arabic)’

.net developer

62. Nash says:

Aaron,

Developer here; think I may have a unique one. Scanning through the comments it looks like my current error is most similar to Nadav in January. My original error propagated, however, from adding an assembly to the GAC, presumably corrupting it. I have uninstalled MSVS 05 and .NET2.0 in attempt to fix it, now I have the failing .Net 2.0.

Ran the tools.

Any additional thoughts/info on gacutil.exe leading to this issue?

Thnx,

Nash

ashworth@comcast.net

63. Nash says:

Nash again,

The solution cleaned up my corrupted Global Assembly Cache; thanks. ‘Delete the GAC_32 and GAC_MSIL folders’ perhaps? The action seemed to be the difference.

Nash

64. Rob Latour says:

Thanks for posting this thread – I had a client who had an error message that said:

IsSysTxEqualSysEsTransaction

Could not load file or assembly ‘System.EnterpriseServices, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

A this was the only place I could find it mentioned and resolved.

My client just repaired his version of the dot net framework and all was well!

Best Regards to all concerned and thanks again for the post.

65. I have posted an updated version of the .NET Framework cleanup tool that now contains support for automatically…

66. Alan says:

Ok guys, I appoligize for my stupidity :-).  I really need to get framework 2.0 installed on my computer, however when installing I get the dreaded 25015 error, the stupid

microsoft.visualbasic.vsa.dll

because of system error: the directory name is invalid.

I have seen the same problem on here many times, but I must be to blind to see the solution if any.  If some brave soul wants to take on my problem please email me at alanrc2000@yahoo.com, thanks alot, you guys are greaaaat !

67. astebner says:

Hi Alan – Can you please try to use the automated cleanup tool to remove any pieces of the .NET Framework 2.0 that are on your system and then try installing again?  You can find information about the cleanup tool at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx.

68. Ted Hickox says:

A friend of mine downloaded the final version of Net Framework 2.0 from Microsoft.com.  While he did this for me I downloaded the redistributable pack.  The reason my friend downloaded the Net Framework file is that he had Broadband access and I only have dial up.  The day the disk with the Net Framework arrived, I was very sleepy.  I accidentally loaded the Net Framework before loading the Redistributable pack.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Net Framework, but to no avail.  I don’t want to destroy any dll’s because I had bad luck with a dll a few years back.  Is there anything I can delete that will allow me to reinstall Net Framework 2.0 without destroying any dll’s?  I would be happy to delete any registry keys.

69. astebner says:

Hi Ted – The .NET Framework is the same thing as the redistributable pack.  I don’t think you should need to uninstall and reinstall.  If you find that it is necessary, you can try out the removal tool at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx.  Hope this helps!

70. gurvinderd@hotmail.com says:

How do i install .Net Framework 2.0 without administrator login ?

71. astebner says:

Hi oyeGURU – You will need to deploy the .NET Framework 2.0 with elevated privileges using Active Directory if you want to install without an administrator logging in.  A lot of the things that the .NET Framework setup does require administrator rights, so you cannot install as a normal user.

You can find instructions for how to do this kind of deployment at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/ndp2_dplad.asp.

72. Jay Levitt says:

I came across this page while troubleshooting an install of Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR).  I was getting all sorts of errors writing to various assemblies, and ended up unable to either install or uninstall Office.

I finally figured out the problem.  I had installed Office 2007 B2 with .NET Framework 2.0 installed.  I then ran into a performance problem with ATI’s Catalyst Control Panel that required uninstalling .NET Framework 2.0, so I did.  Unfortunately, Office 2007 depended on some assemblies that were now in the unreachable GAC_32 and GAC_MSIL directories!

I know nothing about .NET, but I manually moved all the files from GAC_32 and GAC_MSIL into GAC, and the Office installer was now happy.

I’m not even sure which product has the bug.  Office presumably depends on .NET to install assemblies in the right place, and doesn’t know the true directories that they’re installed in.  But what should happen when that .NET is now an older version?  Quite a messy dependency chain.  I know – I’ll let Aaron worry about it.

Jay

73. clarym says:

Nadav

You saved my rear. Your solution solved my problems after hours of research and trial/error.

Thanks
    Mark

74. Details about the .NET Framework 2.0 setup packaging Available command line switches for .NET Framework

75. kevinremiix says:

Help!

Yes, I installed VB for the first time since I started school. Then I removed it because it took too much space because I was a space freak.

Anyways, I want to reinstall it again. Now it says that ‘vs_setup.ms_’ can not be opened.

I have tried your solution. But, I dont think it was very in-depth so I did not follow.

Any help would be appreciated..

76. astebner says:

Hi Kevinremiix – The steps in this particular blog post are only applicable to the .NET Framework 2.0, not to VB.  Did you previously uninstall by using the Add/Remove Programs entry for VB Express?  If so, you should be able to download the VB Express package and run it from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/download/.

If that version of the VB Express installer is giving you this same error, you can try to use manual download and install steps like the ones listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/551674.aspx.

Hopefully one of these will help.

77. Where to get Visual Studio 2005 and the .NET Framework 2.0 Where to download the .NET Framework 2.0 redistributable

78. yeahyeah says:

hi aron i got some troubles when installing visual c# express edition i’ve tried your steps for the failed framework but when i try to open the installed visual c# this happens:

the beta period is over

you can now remove microsoft visual c#2005 express edition beta form your computer.

can you help me?

79. astebner says:

Hi Yeahyeah – It sounds like you had a previous beta of the C# Express Edition that was not fully removed.  I suggest trying the following steps:

1.  Uninstall C# Express

2.  Remove the registry values listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/11/14/492765.aspx

3.  Remove the registry sub-key named HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftVCSExpress

4.  Try to install Visual C# Express again

Hopefully this will help.

80. CraigHumphrey says:

Recently hit this problem (source not available) and .Net 2.0 just went nuts…

Tried the clean-up tool, no dice.  Wasn’t till I manually followed the steps in your post and then ran the Windows Install Clean Up tool (removing the uninstall entries for .net 2.0) that I was finally able to install .net 2.0 again… whew…

You might want to update the clean up tool to make sure it removes all files/folders (I suspect a running App got in the way – ActiveSync?) and the install/uninstall reg keys.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Later’ish

Craig

81. moliken says:

Success…Thank You!!!

Apparently, the latest MS security patch for .NET 2.0 (KB928365) corrupted my .NET install.  I was unable to uninstall the patch or uninstall, reinstall or repair the .NET 2.0 install.  The CleanUp tool worked flawlessly. I was then able to reinstall .NET and apply the patches. Thank you.

82. harryaya says:

Hi Aaron,

I just installed Vista and wanted to install Sql Server 2005 developer. I met the following issue:

It successfully installed pre-requisite Sql Server native client and Sql server support files of Sql server, when I click next to proceed installation, it pop up error window after that:

"setup has detected a problem with microsoft .net framework installation and cannot proceed. Microsoft .net framework 2.0"

But my machine has already installed .net framework 2.0, I double check for it by installing .net framework 2.0. it display the error:

"The product is already installed as part of the operating system."

However, in Program and features, .net framework 2.0 is not listed in the currently installed programs… Then I used your clean up tools to try to clean .net framework 2.0. But it didn’t list .net 2.0. Then I wondered if I has installed .net 2.0 or not…

Seems this is a dead lock for me to proceed my installation. I also called Support Center for help, they were not able to offer a solution for this…

I would appreciate it a lot if anyone here can give a big hand. Thanks in advance!

83. astebner says:

Hi Harryaya – The .NET Framework 2.0 is a part of the OS on Windows Vista, but does not allow you to remove it and therefore does not appear in the Programs and Features control panel.  Also, the cleanup tool does not allow you to remove it because it is an OS component.

There are steps at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx that can be used to repair the .NET Framework 2.0/3.0 files, but I’m not sure if that will help in your scenario or not.  The only other way I know of to repair the .NET Framework on Windows Vista is to repair/re-install Windows Vista itself.

84. shobman says:

Hi Aaron

I have spent hours trying to install .net 2.0 on to a Windows 2000 workstation.

The installation gets to approximately 40% complete and just stalls. This happens every time just after the command to disable the cancel button. The onscreen message appears to be writing reg keys to softwaremicrosoftwindowscurrentversionsibebysidepatchedcomponents

Yet when I have checked the dd_netfx20MSI text file its last command is:

MSI (s) (6C:FC) [20:17:28:468]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:WINNTInstallerMSI17.tmp, Entrypoint: QuietExec

Because I have to forcefully close the install I have used your cleanup tool to successfully remove all versions of .net installed but still have the same problem upon attempting to reinstall.

I have had trouble finding information on my exact problem and any insight into this would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

85. astebner says:

Hi Shobman – Can you please make a copy of the dd_netfx20msi*.txt file while setup is stalled at 40% complete on your system, and then zip and send me that entire log so I can take a look to see if I can figure anything out about the root cause of this issue?  You can send the log to Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

Also, in the meantime, it might help to try to use the workaround described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/11/25/disabling-services-with-msconfig-to-work-around-setup-failures.aspx to see if that helps in this scenario.

86. Maikl says:

You saved my life…

87. Re-installing .Net Framework 2.0, 3.5 broke it!

88. mmk2118 says:

Thanks so much deleting the folder .Net framework and reinstalling worked.

89. AZGT Technician says:

Aaron,

Thank you for your help on this .Net Framwork issue. It was a big help and work grweat.

Don

90. ChinaTradeWiki says:

No luck here :( I have problem with ATi video drivers, which leads to .net 2 and I keep getting error when I try to reinstall.

91. astebner says:

Hi ChinaTradeWiki – I’d suggest trying the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/07/8108332.aspx to see if they help resolve this issue installing the .NET Framework 2.0 on your system.

92. emhartain says:

Hi, Aaron.

I’m glad to see this thread.  I really need your help.  A while back we took a Server 2003 installation and cloned it to new hardware, as the old was becoming unreliable.  Believe it or not, 99% of everything worked.  The one problem we had was with sharepoint.  It worked for the most part, but we got ‘web part errors’ due to some missing files from the other server.  In the mess of safe mode operation and missing file copying, something happened to .net 2 and probably asp.net, making it impossible to uninstall/reinstall .net, sharepoint, etc.  We’ve discovered that there’s a F: drive on the old server with a bunch of temp folder info on it.  Someone evidently set that computer to temp out to this drive.  It’s a physical drive on the original server, and we don’t have a physical for the new.  I created a shared folder and mapped it to F: and provided it with files.  I still get the same errors trying to reinstall .net2 and/or sp1, sharepoint, backupassist is not working.  Used your tool to clean up 2.0 install, and that removes it from the add/remove programs list, but there are still services trying to run as well as .net 2 info in the drive and registry.  We still get ‘the temp folder is either full or unreachable.  Verify blah blah blah’ but it’s there and plenty of room and not read only and so forth.  What do we do?

93. astebner says:

Hi Emhartain – I’m not sure how best to get rid of the remaining references to that other temporary directory.  You may need to manually search the registry and update locations there or something like that.  Unfortunately, this is one of the dangers of cloning an OS install and moving it to a different physical computer that doesn’t have the same configuration.

94. Tired of trying to install Expression Web 2 over and over again only to have the installation crash with

95. JaHmY J says:

Thans guy for this great tool, it saved my life !

96. MicrosoftSlave says:

Microsoft suck plain and simple. What a fing headache all the time!

97. jamez says:

I upgraded windows vista to 7 and now when i go to use my dell imaging tool bar it says microsoft .NET framework 2.0 is req. I have tryed to download it. Cant seem to make anything work!! HELP!

98. astebner says:

Hi Jamez – The .NET Framework 2.0 is installed as an OS component on Windows 7 and it cannot be installed separately (nor does it need to be installed separately because it is already there).  This sounds like a bug in the logic being used by the Dell tool bar to detect whether or not the .NET Framework 2.0 is installed.  I'd suggest contacting Dell to see if they have an updated version of their tool bar that works correctly with Windows 7.

99. JAy says:

When i install the microsoft visual studio 2005 i can't finish installation what is the Problem.. of my software..

100. astebner says:

Hi Jay – There are a lot of possible causes for this type of failure, so I'll need to look at your log files to narrow this down.  Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to gather all of your setup log files, post the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that is created by this tool to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com) and then reply here with a link I can use to download your logs and take a further look?

101. great !!!!! says:

its works properly. i have try it. nice

102. satish jakhar says:

i have try it and its works properly. nice trick to remove manualy

vs-2005.

thanks to all team mambers of this websites.

103. Tenjoteng says:

I'm install .netframe work 2.0

but it error 25007.

i try to every thing on the top but him say error 25007

plzz Help me

104. astebner says:

Hi Tenjoteng – I'd suggest using the steps and the cleanup tool listed at blogs.msdn.com/…/8108332.aspx to fully remove the .NET Framework from your computer, then try to re-install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (which will also install the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 for you behind the scenes).

105. moondragon says:

Hi, Trying to install .NET Framework 2.0 and I keep getting the following:

[11/05/12,12:01:40] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603

[11/05/12,12:01:46] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.

Can you help or point me in the right direction. Thanks!

106. astebner says:

Hi Moondragon – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

107. zhartai says:

Hi Aaron,

I have the same problem as moondragon. I tried all the steps You mentioned before.

I made setup log files. Could you please help me?

blogs.msdn.com/…/408856.aspx

Thanks in advance!

108. astebner says:

Hi Zhartai – Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

109. zhartai says:

Sorry, im a bit sleepy, i added wrong link.

Here is the correct link.

skydrive.live.com/redir

110. astebner says:

Hi Zhartai – This is the error that is causing the .NET Framework to fail to install on your computer:

MSI (s) (98:1C) [04:49:12:187]: Internal Exception during install operation: 0xc0000005 at 0x000006427EE83C3F.

This error code means access is denied.  It might help to try to reset your file/folder/registry permissions by using steps like the ones at blogs.msdn.com/…/solving-setup-errors-by-using-the-subinacl-tool-to-repair-file-and-registry-permissions.aspx.

If that doesn't help, then it might also help to repair Windows Installer 4.5 using the installer at http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx.

111. Kathy says:

Brilliant!  Worked for me.  Thank you.

112. Williamchow says:

Manually delete finally succeeded,Good Post!

113. Cz says:

9 years after the post, still thanks!!!!! 😉

114. Robert Meleleu says:

Aaron I love you man.

After 2 days messing with a fubar .net 2.0 install where the repair tool failed to even attempt to fix it and the removal tool said no .net install found.  I have got the old .net 2 out, fresh .net 2 loaded and its doing 3.5 as I type.

Thanks for all your work

115. hector So says:

The dotnetfx_cleanup_tool fixed my Microsoft FrameWork 2.0 installation prolem. Thank you very much.

116. Peter Pendic says:

Dear Mr. Stebner

Thank you for your solutions, but I want to add some information what had worked in my scenario.

Windows 2003 Server, after inplace update(repair), applying SP2 to the server, Framework 2.0 was missing, although installed.

The trick was to start the repair installation of NET Framework 4.0 after cleaning up the NET Framework 2.0 installation. Then it was possible to install the NET Framework 2.0 without the LoadLibraryShim() 0x80131700 error.

After that it was also possible to reinstall / repair the other NET Framework versions.

117. Rauls says:

Thanks, it worked! Wish I had found your blog few wasted hours earlier.