Hey all, I have had a couple folks ask me if it is possible to create a package that will install the .NET Framework 1.1 and SP1 at the same time (or 1.0 and SP3 at the same time). Here are a set of steps you can follow to use Windows Installer command line parameters to create an installable layout that includes the .NET Framework and a service pack:
- Download the .NET Framework 1.0 or the .NET Framework 1.1
- Extract the contents of the .NET Framework to a folder - you can do this by running dotnetfx.exe /t:c:\temp /c (where c:\temp is any folder of your choosing)
- Download the .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 or the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
- Extract the service pack MSP package to a folder by running <name_of_SP_EXE>.exe /Xp:c:\temp\ndpsp.msp
- Run msiexec.exe /a c:\temp\netfx.msi TARGETDIR=c:\temp\new_netfx
- Run msiexec.exe /a c:\temp\new_netfx\netfx.msi /p c:\temp\ndpsp.msp
Following these steps will create an MSI and a set of files in the folder c:\temp that can be used to install the .NET Framework and a service pack. Now you can share out the folder or install directly from there in order to install the .NET Framework and the service pack at the same time.