Problem solved – weird rollback behavior in Windows Installer with .NET Framework setup

Hey all, I’m happy to report that we figured out the root cause of the really strange rollback behavior we saw in the .NET Framework setup (described in a post earlier this week) and I wanted to pass on what we found in case any of you hit this issue with a Windows Installer-based setup in the future.  Here is a rough outline of the issue and the underlying problem:

1. There was an orphaned registry value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts that pointed to a rollback script

2. At the end of all Windows Installer setups, it performs a standard action to “remove backup files“ and when it does this it searches this registry value and executes any rollback scripts (*.rbs) it finds there

3. On this machine, the RBS file belonged to a different product.  Note that you can use the script named WiLstScr.vbs in the Windows Installer SDK to display the contents of an RBS in a text file to figure out what product it belongs to.

4. When this orphaned RBS file was executed, a custom action within it failed because it actually belonged to another product and some of the properties it needed weren’t set properly, and that caused the whole installation of the current product to rollback

The only thing we are not sure about is why the RBS file was orphaned in the registry and on the user’s machine to begin with, so we’ll have to keep digging into that if we get any additional repro machines and see if we can figure it out.  We are going to look into making the next version of Windows Installer smarter about which RBS files it will run when it is removing backup files to try to help avoid this scenario in the future, but in the meantime if you encounter this behavior in any of your scenarios, start by taking a look at that registry value and see if there is any orphaned data that may be causing your setup to rollback.

Hope this helps……

1. Yossi Hazoref says:

BINGO! I had the same problem with Visio 2003 and Adobe install (rollback in the end of the install). Per your instruction I found a "46cl.rbs" file delete the registry entry the point to that file and this time the install for these products went fine with no issues. I think this should go to Microsoft. Why if one install faill should prevent other install????

Thanks

Yossi

2. Chris Jacobs says:

Woo@ Thanks to a google search and your great article here, I can not again install and uninstall software! Thanks!

3. cheryl says:

You are a lifesaver. Thanks for posting this solution!

4. I went into my registry and navigated to the installer folder, but there is no rollback subfolder.  How can I try this fix?

5. astebner says:

Hi Marc – If you do not have a rollback sub-hive in your registry, then you are not experiencing the same issue that is described in this blog post.  Can you please provide more detail about the installation problem that you are seeing so I can try to figure out what the issue is?

6. :error1722 there is a problem with the windows installer package,a program as part of the setup did not finish as expected contact your support personne or packagevendor. says:

7. astebner says:

Hi Error1722 – Are you seeing this error during .NET Framework setup or some other product?  If possible, can you please use the information listed at blogs.msdn.com/…/help-me-help-you-if-you-have-setup-bugs.aspx to try to collect verbose log files from the failing install so I can try to take a closer look?

8. zehn says:

rollback error. no files found such as  46cl.rbs. help pleease

9. astebner says:

Hi zehn – Can you please use instructions like the ones at blogs.msdn.com/…/help-me-help-you-if-you-have-setup-bugs.aspx to enable verbose logging, then reproduce this failure again, zip the log file, upload it to a file share like http://onedrive.live.com, and then reply back here and post a link to your zip file?  After you do that, I'll try to take a look at the log file and see if I can figure out anything about what is causing this error.

10. Vijay says:

Guys i dont want the reason behind the issue…plz tell me steps to solve the problem.Every time i try to install .net it keeps on rolling back

11. astebner says:

Hi Vijay – We need to see the log files from your failing .NET Framework install in order to help figure out how to fix it.  Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?

12. sukma says:

i have same problem with vijay……every time i try to install net framework 4 on windows 7 always rolling back…

i try to find something problem on regedit never found any rollback script…

13. astebner says:

Hi Sukma – The issue described in this blog post is only one possible problem that can cause an installer to fail.  Any type of failure will cause setup to fail and roll back though, so if you don't see anything related to those rollback scripts in your registry, you're hitting some other problem.

14. sukma says:

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempdd_NetFxRepairTool_decompression_log.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempdd_SetupUtility.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempdd_TMP3678.tmp_decompression_log.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempdd_TMP5D85.tmp_decompression_log.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempdd_TMP8410.tmp_decompression_log.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempdd_TMPD91D.tmp_decompression_log.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140627_130243653-MSI_netfx_Core_x86.msi.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140627_135838337-MSI_netfx_Core_x86.msi.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140627_140207737-MSI_netfx_Core_x86.msi.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140628_092852948-MSI_netfx_Core_x86.msi.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140628_143637811-MSI_netfx_Core_x86.msi.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140628_144337956-MSI_netfx_Core_x86.msi.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140628_144910830-MSI_netfx_Core_x86.msi.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140628_145816531-MSI_netfx_Core_x86.msi.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4.5 Setup_20140628_094657478-MSI_netfx_Full_x86.msi.txt

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4.5 Setup_20140628_130109096-MSI_netfx_Full_x86.msi.txt

15. sukma says:

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140627_090653669.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140627_130243653.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140627_135404083.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140627_135838337.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140627_140207737.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140628_081935496.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140628_082440683.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140628_092852948.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140628_143637811.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140628_144337956.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140628_144910830.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20140628_145816531.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4.5 Setup_20140628_094657478.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4.5 Setup_20140628_130109096.html

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempFixDotNet_HKCR_Installer.regdump

C:UsersraianAppDataLocalTempFixDotNet_HKLM_Installer.regdump

16. astebner says:

Hi Sukma – That is just a list of the log files.  I need to look at what is in the log files in order to figure out why .NET Framework setup is failing on your computer.  In order to do that, I need you to upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link to the file server location that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look.

17. amay says:

Hey aaronim just a beginner can u please explain the procedure step wise so thay i t can help me in dealing with rollback .net framework also i tried to install microsoft fix it but it didn't install.thanks in advance

18. amaya says:

Aaron , if we find this orphaned rbs file do we need to delete this ??

19. astebner says:

Hi Amaya – The information in this blog post was from a very rare instance of a .NET Framework setup failure.  Most .NET Framework setup failures are not caused by this problem.

In order to narrow down the cause of a .NET Framework setup failure, I need you to the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/…/6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://onedrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look.

20. amay says:

But if  i am having same problem the i need to delete that orphaned rbs file or not

21. astebner says:

Hi amay – If you are having the same problem described in this blog post, then you can work around it by deleting or renaming the registry entry that points to the .rbs file.

22. axyy says:

if u r fade up guys

just right click the installer

and run as Administrator

enjoyy

23. Samson says:

I tried installing ChemCAD 6.5.6  on a Windows 8 but it keep rolling back towards the end of installation

24. astebner says:

Hi Samson – Can you please use the steps at blogs.msdn.com/…/help-me-help-you-if-you-have-setup-bugs.aspx to collect setup log files and post them to a file server?  I can try to take a look at the logs and see if I can figure out what is causing this product to fail to install on your computer.

I'd also suggest searching on the web site for the application's manufacturer to see if they have any known issues or FAQs for this type of issue.

25. Samson says:

Thanks Aaron, I am not so good at computer programming, I do have the old version of ChemCAD 6.5.5 which i got the licence key for from the company, I tried updating to version 6.5.6 that was where the problem started. Whenever it gets to starting services after a while is rolls back. Even the older version can no longer install. I tried installing an entirely different program it was installed successfully.

Please any help will be appreciated, I was supposed to teach a group of student how to use this software, now it has failed to install. Installer was sent in from the company, no complaints about roll back on their website. Thanks

Here is the link to the window installer log generated after the installation was roll back http://www.dropbox.com/…/MSI563e1.LOG

here is the link to all the .lo in the temp folder

26. astebner says:

Hi Samson – This is the exact cause of the setup failure from the log file you uploaded:

MSI (s) (D8:0C) [21:02:46:253]: Executing op: ServiceControl(,Name=SentinelProtectionServer,Action=1,Wait=0,)

StartServices: Service: Sentinel Protection Server

Info 1920.Service Sentinel Protection Server (SentinelProtectionServer) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Action ended 21:03:16: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

I'm not sure what is wrong with that service that would cause you to not be able to start it though.  Does that service appear in the list if you run services.msc?  If so, can you try to start it manually and see if that works?

27. Samson says:

Thanks Aaron, I am keeping vigil with this site. During Installation, It says Sentinel Protection Server is open, that windows need to close it, or i continue but a restart will be needed. I have tried both but it rolls back at the same point of starting service. What is this sentinel? Can I delete everything related to chemstation from my computer like it never existed before as well as this sentinel? I can request for a new licence key from the vendor tomorrow if I can get it installed. All i need to do is to generate a new system key and send to them.

28. Samson says:

Actual statement is 'The following applications are using files that needed to be updated by this setup' The only set up that popup is

Sentinel Keys Server

29. astebner says:

Hi Samson – I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with Sentinel Protection Server, so I'm not sure what you will need to do to solve this problem.  I'd suggest contacting the application manufacturer to see if they have any suggestions for solving this problem.

30. Samson says:

Thanks Aaron, you gave me hope. I think it has something to do with the previous key I had which probably doesn't match the new update i am trying to do.

31. Mark Gorcos says:

I found doing a clean boot works. open msconfig . Under General tab uncheck load start up items. Under services tab check “Hide all Microsoft services” and then select disable all. click apply and Ok and restart. Try to roun your installer again. If it works go back into msconfig and select normal startup

32. I also didn’t have that folder in the Registry but the .NET Framework Repair Tool helped (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135). Was a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.